As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]en tenders for lunch

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Skyrim is a terrible game that is basically a case study for everything wrong with RPGs

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    wats good GoG to read

i read the marvel annihilation thing but thats the only cosmic marvel i read

The first 2 TPB are good

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    wats good GoG to read

There's a sequel to Annihiliation that's apparently quite good, and the ongoing books around both those events had good reps, though I never read them on a regular basis. Bendis is writing GoG right now, so whether you'll like it depends on how much you like Bendis on a team book. Nova is being written by Jeph Loeb right now, I think, so treat it as you would a burning hot coal made of herpes.

I think I read a very, very old Rocket Racoon story when I was a kid. It was nuts.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    not all tedious things are pointless in games imo

upkeep makes sense to me especially in a simulator of any kind

Agreed. Pacing matters in games; in high action games the fast pacing is usually combat and the slower stuff is exploration and exposition, but games about exploration (often containing combat) work well with resource management in the slow times. In RPGs there's buying / selling gear and assigning stats / talents, in minecraft there's building things, which might require farming materials or an actual farm. It also can help with immersion, makes the world seem like a thing that existed before the player and will continue after.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    jeffinva wrote: »
    To commemorate my "making it" I am going to purchase a Jesus Piece. Gold. Maybe platinum.

Buy one with a tiny lever in back so you can wiggle it and Jesus' mouth moves

desc on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think I remember reading something about last meals and how lots of people don't get what they want because, well, getting hold of some fucking kiwi fruit in Arizona in December is pretty hard and the cook here doesn't know how to make a decent lamb pathi curry, so here's a nice burger.

So much for my plan of putting off my hypothetical execution. You're saying that if I order a chicken kebab made from fifteen different generations of chicken, garnished with mayonnaise made on the next night where a full moon coincides with the third of January, they'll just go "lolnope" and get me McDonalds?

Seems hardly worth committing a capital crime for at all.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Skyrim is a terrible game that is basically a case study for everything wrong with RPGs

EM, noooooo.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I would love to play an RPG where roughly 80% of my time isn't spent repairing gear, crafting, and organizing my items.

Grimrock. Most JRPGs. Most non-Bethesda RPGs, actually.

Even ones I like to play, like Dragon Age, spends a good deal of its time involved in money-making schemes and weapon/armor upkeep.

And Kingdoms of Amalur was such a crippling disappointment all around.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I would love to play an RPG where roughly 80% of my time isn't spent repairing gear, crafting, and organizing my items.

As much as I found it kind of a jarring change. I think ME2 and 3 ditching the inventory / upgrade system of ME was one of the best decisions they could have made.

Agreed. If only they kept the rechargeable ammo system.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    wats good GoG to read

There's a sequel to Annihiliation that's apparently quite good, and the ongoing books around both those events had good reps, though I never read them on a regular basis. Bendis is writing GoG right now, so whether you'll like it depends on how much you like Bendis on a team book. Nova is being written by Jeph Loeb right now, I think, so treat it as you would a burning hot coal made of herpes.

I think I read a very, very old Rocket Racoon story when I was a kid. It was nuts.

Little kid jeph loeb Nova worst nova blah

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Casual wrote: »
    things i don't like about Valve
    • no return policy on steam
    • irreversible bans

things i like about Valve
    • pretty much everything else

my steam account got hacked like 3 years ago and I'm still banned from VAC forever

basically steam is fucking horrible but there's no other option

override367 on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

Even ones I like to play, like Dragon Age, spends a good deal of its time involved in money-making schemes and weapon/armor upkeep.

This is Origins you're talking about? Because I don't remember any of that.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Like an FPS without a shotgun or a racing sim without manual, an RPG without an inventory to fiddle with isn't really an RPG. /notruegamer

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Re: tedium in games

I like that dead island encourages a sort of "expedition" playstyle, where you gather your resources and set out from your safe haven with an objective in mind. It means that you have to make a constant risk/reward calculation as the game throws things at you and sometimes have to abandon your attempt, regroup, and try again.

It's actually one of the things I think dead island gets about right, putting aside slight weirdness about how realistically durable certain items are.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Marvel's space stuff was best when it was in British hands. DnA, that's all.

• Options

I was going to argue with you, but I had trouble coming up with anything.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Deebs, I wasn't offering to burn the building down.

I wouldn't do that on a public forum.
    I mean, come on, that's what Private Messages are for.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I honestly can't tell if GotG is going to be great or terrible based on that trailer.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Yeah, Origins has like a billion different armor grades and classes, plus a billion more unique item sets, and it just becomes a chore keeping up with them all, especially if you're prone to being a completionist.

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I honestly can't tell if GotG is going to be great or terrible based on that trailer.

"great"

• Options
    edited February 2014

But it makes you want to see it, most likely, so its a successful trailer.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    wats good GoG to read

It's Annihiliation, Annihiliation: Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kings and all of those lead into Thanos Imperative. All of them should be collected in trades under those names with all of the tie in issue stuff. The new GoG stuff starts in Annihiliation: Conquest.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I was completely 100% uninterested in seeing it before I watched the trailer.

The film now looks just the right kind of completely nuts.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »

there's tedious but also fairly important shit like building pylons, supply depots, and overlords in sc — they all have excellent secondary uses and important, immediate effects

and then there's spreading creep

ugggh

spreading creep grants vision! blocks ground for t/p to build on! speeds up your units!

bad example!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

But it makes you want to see it, most likely, so its a successful trailer.

I really do. And I squeed when I noted the guys narrating are wearing Nova Corps uniforms.

• Options
    edited February 2014

there's tedious but also fairly important shit like building pylons, supply depots, and overlords in sc — they all have excellent secondary uses and important, immediate effects

ugggh

spreading creep grants vision! blocks ground for t/p to build on! speeds up your units!

bad example!

creep grants vision?!

edit: surely it's the creep... seed or whatever it's called?

Tamin on
  • Options
    And really all you need to know about Rocket Raccoon can be summed up with:

n4EvZyG.jpg

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

Its funny how many amazing stories actually were taking place under Marvel UK without getting much press over here. And I'm not just saying this as a huge Alan Davis fanboy. Finding those Marvel UK titles after I'd been collencting for a while was like stumbling on buried treasure.

• Options
    I want the rest of the Nova Corps to be play by other stalwarts of British comedy alongside Peter Serafinowicz. Steve Coogan, Kevin Bridges, David Mitchell, etc.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    On the other hand

my roommate is bringing home guys while her boyfriend that she 'looooooooooooooves' is deployed over seas

Valentines Day she arranges this big bouquet of flowers on the kitchen table that he sent her

next night random dude in her room

i've only lived with her for a month so i dont know her guy or would bother to get involved with that situation even if i did since i'm the one who lives with her

but yeah it also makes me sick to my stomach

Fuck that, call his CO.

you want to drop it on a guy in a warzone that his gf is cheating on him?

i'd rather he focused on staying alive

No! Call his CO. Let the person who knows the guy's situation deal with it.

"Deployed overseas" might mean shifting crates in a warehouse in Germany.

yeah but if he's at a FOB that shit can be dangerous I dunno about this advice
    From what I understand soldiers being cheated on is incredibly common. I'm p sure the CO would know what to do and whether to pass it on or not. They most likely have experience.

Not every CO is a good CO, I'd be pretty uncomfortable about it. He's just as cheated on when he gets back.

Not only is it possibly $1000+ a month if he's paying her living expenses, cheaters sometimes do awful things like drain bank accounts or steal cars / pets when they know the free ride is about to end. I don't know how entwined their finances are but if she's paying his bills with his money, cutting that access off before she abuses it could be very important.

This is also a very solid point if that is what's happening

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

ugggh

bad example!

creep grants vision?!

creep tumors grant vision. but those are what you spread creep with.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

ugggh

bad example!

creep grants vision?!

yeah, it's the creep tumors that grant vision, but what's what spreading creep is... so it's one process.

• Options

Yeah, Origins has like a billion different armor grades and classes, plus a billion more unique item sets, and it just becomes a chore keeping up with them all, especially if you're prone to being a completionist.

I really don't recall having any trouble with any of these things. Just didn't register with me.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

ugggh

bad example!

it is extremely good and also has virtually no cost outside of paying attention to it

so basically you either spread creep well by clicking on tumors with a little queen energy cost that only might matter if you need transfuse to win a game

or you're lazy and you don't

it's fairly difficult to spread too much creep

so it's a stupid decision because it isn't one

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

I feel scared and confused if I am NOT spending 80% of my time crafting and sorting

ME2 scared me

truth be told I love the collection aspect but the actual mechanisms for sorting gear and whatnot are clunky as fuck, I really like that underground hideout mod for new vegas because I can press one button and everything gets sucked out of my inventory, then I just take what I'm gonna used. Also it gets displayed on a wall!

I wish skyrim had that

override367 on
  • Options
    On the other hand

my roommate is bringing home guys while her boyfriend that she 'looooooooooooooves' is deployed over seas

Valentines Day she arranges this big bouquet of flowers on the kitchen table that he sent her

next night random dude in her room

i've only lived with her for a month so i dont know her guy or would bother to get involved with that situation even if i did since i'm the one who lives with her

but yeah it also makes me sick to my stomach

Fuck that, call his CO.

you want to drop it on a guy in a warzone that his gf is cheating on him?

i'd rather he focused on staying alive

No! Call his CO. Let the person who knows the guy's situation deal with it.

"Deployed overseas" might mean shifting crates in a warehouse in Germany.

yeah but if he's at a FOB that shit can be dangerous I dunno about this advice
    From what I understand soldiers being cheated on is incredibly common. I'm p sure the CO would know what to do and whether to pass it on or not. They most likely have experience.

Not every CO is a good CO, I'd be pretty uncomfortable about it. He's just as cheated on when he gets back.

Not only is it possibly $1000+ a month if he's paying her living expenses, cheaters sometimes do awful things like drain bank accounts or steal cars / pets when they know the free ride is about to end. I don't know how entwined their finances are but if she's paying his bills with his money, cutting that access off before she abuses it could be very important.

This is also a very solid point if that is what's happening

Not to mention that it's very common for people in the military to be pressured to give someone "back home" power of attorney so that they can handle issues that come up. If this girlfriend was given power of attorney, she can do all sorts of nasty stuff to ruin his life, and he needs to know about it before she knows he knows about it, so that he can get that revoked before she gets angry and lashes out.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »

Its funny how many amazing stories actually were taking place under Marvel UK without getting much press over here. And I'm not just saying this as a huge Alan Davis fanboy. Finding those Marvel UK titles after I'd been collencting for a while was like stumbling on buried treasure.

The Marvel UK Transformers title was amazing, when it wasn't running godawful crap from the American Marvel Transformers comic. Simon Furman and Geoff Senior making mythology and awesomeness out of toy robots. Fucking Death's Head, a character so amazing he now makes an appearance whenever a UK writer gets his hands on a Marvel book and is able to write a scene in space, because everyone who was a kid and who read stories with that guy fell in love forever.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    huh.

so a guy in kind of the job i want is leaving

hmm.

HMM.
    didn't you shift jobs recently?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.