As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely series] Bravely Default II coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you can skip everything that is blue. if you're not powered up enough grinding is incredibly easy in chapter 5+

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    OK so I just got to chapter 5
    What is the quickest way to just go and beat the game? I really, really don't want to have to do a million consecutive boss fights that are just powered up versions of bosses I've already fought. Can I just skip all of this optional stuff and do the main quest line or will I not be leveled/have equipment/etc to be able to complete the game?

Quickest way?
    Break a crystal. Skips straight to the last dungeon.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I feel compelled to note that the repeat blue fights do add more backstory and/or new dialogue.

Except Praline or Barbarossa.

Enlong on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    OK so I just got to chapter 5
    What is the quickest way to just go and beat the game? I really, really don't want to have to do a million consecutive boss fights that are just powered up versions of bosses I've already fought. Can I just skip all of this optional stuff and do the main quest line or will I not be leveled/have equipment/etc to be able to complete the game?
    You might wind up having to bust the difficulty down to Easy if you want to skip everything. Though, ironically, you're actually probably going to make things worse for yourself, interest-wise, by beelining for the ending, because the answer you're looking for is "head straight for the crystals and fight the demon bosses repeatedly". The optional fights rapidly become more interesting, using the bosses in novel combinations and with different move sets, whereas the demon bosses really are just the same old shit over and over.

If you're really, really dead set on getting to an ending as fast as possible, try defying some critical instructions the next time you have the opportunity.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Just made it to chapter 7. Chapters 5 and 6 were some of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time. Could have replaced those with a 30 sec cutscene and left the Conjurer quest intact, and the game would be much better for it.

I'm hoping this starts to pick up.

• Options
    Yeah. Those chapters could have been folded into one.

7 and on are better/more varied from earlier ones.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Does anything substantive come out of
    Fighting the asterisk bosses over and over again?

I did several of them, and while a couple had some insights to their character, most had nothing new or interesting. Frankly, I have better things to do than re-fight the same battles over and over again ad nauseum.

• Options
    rndmhero wrote: »

I did several of them, and while a couple had some insights to their character, most had nothing new or interesting. Frankly, I have better things to do than re-fight the same battles over and over again ad nauseum.
    In Chapter 7, you start facing them in different and larger combinations, for tougher fights. And in chapter 8, you get to fight each group as a whole, and then you can face a gauntlet where they've teamed up in intelligent and dangerous ways.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

In Chapter 7, you start facing them in different and larger combinations, for tougher fights. And in chapter 8, you get to fight each group as a whole, and then you can face a gauntlet where they've teamed up in intelligent and dangerous ways.

Also, they have good loot drops/stuff you can steal.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Go to the forest of snakes outside of flower town in chapter 7

If that doesn't sell you on the rest of the chapter then just put the game down and walk away, you don't need to keep going

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Personally, I found the individual refights interesting, if only because now I had all the classes myself and I had total liberty to craft explicit counter-strategies to all of them. For instance, fielding a forest of Samurais against Derosa. Oh, you're going to all-cast Thundara when you have a Brave Point? Cool, eat four Before Swines. That was hilarious, and most of the other ones have something that cracks them wide open as well.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Hmm, I've been trying pinpoint what I don't like about this game and why I haven't had as much fun with it as I perhaps should be, but I think I may have figured it out.

It's a strategy game more than it is an RPG. Obviously RPGs have strategic elements, but most aren't this menu intensive in that you have to constantly be rearranging a ton of different things. So it's more like a SRPG, and I grew mostly tired of those a long time ago, although I will play one from time to time. However to go along with the strategy it doesn't have the tactical input in the form of fields that those games have going for them.

So while I don't think this is a bad game, it's not really for me in the way the most RPGs are. So when you get to chapter 5 and you don't like doing what you are able to do there, well, instead of going, "yay, I get to do X" I go "Ugh, I have to do X?"

I haven't actually played again since I last posted, but I think I will:
    Ignore all the optional stuff and just do the elemental boss refights as quickly as possible, but I won't break the stones to go straight to the end because I do want to see the plot resolve itself, or however that works.

Then onto Xenoblade, where you don't spend any time in menus at all : P

• Options
    Hmm, I've been trying pinpoint what I don't like about this game and why I haven't had as much fun with it as I perhaps should be, but I think I may have figured it out.

It's a strategy game more than it is an RPG. Obviously RPGs have strategic elements, but most aren't this menu intensive in that you have to constantly be rearranging a ton of different things. So it's more like a SRPG, and I grew mostly tired of those a long time ago, although I will play one from time to time. However to go along with the strategy it doesn't have the tactical input in the form of fields that those games have going for them.

So while I don't think this is a bad game, it's not really for me in the way the most RPGs are. So when you get to chapter 5 and you don't like doing what you are able to do there, well, instead of going, "yay, I get to do X" I go "Ugh, I have to do X?"

Ignore all the optional stuff and just do the elemental boss refights as quickly as possible, but I won't break the stones to go straight to the end because I do want to see the plot resolve itself, or however that works.

As a major strategy RPG fan and Bravely Default enthusiast, let me be the first to say:

What?

No, seriously, what? It has about 0 strategy RPG elements. No positioning elements, small party, heavy emphasis on story instead of battles...

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

Actually the reason you're not having as much fun is probably because your tolerance for annoying characters and awful stories has dropped dramatically and you never realised :P

That said, because of the overwhelming focus on bossfights in the second half of the game (or whenever you turn off random encounters) it does have a lot of tailoring your party for specific fights which is where a lot of the strategy in RPGS comes from, rather than the more day-to-day dungeon crawling, monster killing and resource management. It's kinda boss-rush/the hunts in FF12 and 13 in that regard.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

It's a strategy game in that you have to develop and deploy strategy, as with just about every other game.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Pro-tip: if you spend a lot of time on rebuilding Norende near the beginning, you can create some pretty darn powerful special moves pretty early on. I'm almost trivializing every boss fight by using my special moves.

Also, can I say that the soundtrack for this game is pretty amazing. Square Enix needs to hire that composer for more games.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    UVDodgerUVDodger Kirkland, WARegistered User new member
    Hey Everyone! I've just started playing Bravely Default. Right now I'm playing the demo and plan to get the full version soon. I'm looking for friends. My code is 1349 6363 9152. Thanks for any and all friending!

3DS Friend Code: 1349 6363 9152
  • Options
    I hope you have a lot of fun!

• Options
    So do I!

• Options
    soundtrack was done by revo. you might also know him from the attack on titan opening

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    UVDodger wrote: »
    Hey Everyone! I've just started playing Bravely Default. Right now I'm playing the demo and plan to get the full version soon. I'm looking for friends. My code is 1349 6363 9152. Thanks for any and all friending!
    Just a quick reminder about the demo villager bug...

At a certain point in the demo (pretty sure it's after you complete the plant fiber mission), you can talk to a person in town who will give you a new person for the town you're rebuilding.
    Save before you talk to him. After you talk to him, go to the Adventurer, exit the game and reload (don't save).
    When you reload you can talk to the villager again and get another person for your town. You can repeat this as many times as you want, but you can only carry up to 20 people over to the full game.

Just something to keep in mind. The villagers are a much better reward for the demo then the low level gear it gives you for fighting the bosses.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    20 villagers will also give you a massive advantage in quickly rebuilding Norende. You can knock off multiple areas within a single session and a lot of the time sinks can be cleared overnight with 10-13 villagers

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    soundtrack was done by revo. you might also know him from the attack on titan opening
    but... but i didn't like the attack on titan opening..

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options

I added you to my friend list. My code is in my signature; add me back.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Do you miss out on anything by dropping the difficulty?

I have a hard time bringing myself to playing this but want to get a little bit further before I drop it. If I can blow through some of the content to see more that may help.

• Options
    Do you miss out on anything by dropping the difficulty?

I have a hard time bringing myself to playing this but want to get a little bit further before I drop it. If I can blow through some of the content to see more that may help.

You don't miss out on anything by dropping the difficulty. I don't think there's any content lockout by difficulty setting.

Dropping the encounter rate may make later bosses harder, but it's not really a bad choice at all in certain parts of the game.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sweet.

Thanks!

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder about the demo villager bug...

At a certain point in the demo (pretty sure it's after you complete the plant fiber mission), you can talk to a person in town who will give you a new person for the town you're rebuilding.
    Save before you talk to him. After you talk to him, go to the Adventurer, exit the game and reload (don't save).
    When you reload you can talk to the villager again and get another person for your town. You can repeat this as many times as you want, but you can only carry up to 20 people over to the full game.

Just something to keep in mind. The villagers are a much better reward for the demo then the low level gear it gives you for fighting the bosses.

Thanks for the info. I will make sure to give ita shot when I get home today. I'll also be adding people as friends.

• Options
    Early bosses are almost too easy, but they soon start packing quite a punch. I like the challenge! I actually have to think about what jobs and abilities to equip.

Also, is it just me or is the Valkyrie job not very powerful? I love jumping, but I feel the extra damage is not enough to compensate all the BP it uses.

• Options
    physi_marc wrote: »
    Early bosses are almost too easy, but they soon start packing quite a punch. I like the challenge! I actually have to think about what jobs and abilities to equip.

Also, is it just me or is the Valkyrie job not very powerful? I love jumping, but I feel the extra damage is not enough to compensate all the BP it uses.

It gets some pretty badass skills as it goes.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »

Remember to keep two handed equipped while playing Valkyrie.
    I thought it was a little overrated myself, but I have a friend who swore by it.

• Options
    As long as you're fighting three or more enemies, Crescent Moon makes a decent generic all-attack for levelling up, and it's the first thing you get from the class, so there's that.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I got this about two weeks ago and am enjoying it. Feels like an old school square/enix RPG. My village is already almost all the way maxed out even though I have not finished chapter 2 yet because I do not have much time to play. Already looked up some money making methods because wow are the weapons and armor expensive.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    valkyrie dominates early with spell fencer sub job, then promptly falls off a cliff once other classes start hitting the damage cap.

• Options
    I'd say the most powerful direct-damage class is probably
    dark Knight. Play your cards right, and you can do 9999 five times in one round with Rage.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    mm9YCy4.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I spend a lot of time in Xenoblade-menues, too. Mostly for pointless busywork with the inventory.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    As much as I loved/hated the first game, if the sequel even hints at going in the Ch. 5-7 direction again, I am out. Surely they've learned that people didn't like that right? Right?!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    I doubt they would do something like Ch. 5-7 again since a reason it was in the game was due to the it being a big part of the story.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    I liked everything surrounding chapter 5-7 aside from the actual means of progression.