As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fraps on Windows 8

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
A senior coworker has asked me for screen-recording software so she can record her meetings.

I was planning on using Fraps. She's on Windows 8, with the Metro UI.

There are conflicting reports on Google whether Fraps plays nicely with Windows 8. Does anybody have first-hand experience with it either working or not working?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Are you capturing a metro application or no? AFAIK, there's no software that can capture metro apps at the moment other than hardware monitor capture devices.

You can try obs, which is way better than fraps. Takes a little bit to get working right since people usually use it for streaming rather than right to file.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Whoops looks like I'm wrong there.

You can't do an "app" like you could an individual game like WoW or capture just excel when it's run as a metro app, but you can record the "whole monitor" with OBS at least.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Fraps works, it's just total crap (that's Fraps fault, not Windows 8's fault)

A free alternative would be Bandicam

or one of a billion paid options like Jing or something similar

and yeah you can't video cap metro apps

just desktop apps

unless that app is running in a GL window which I doubt

Jasconius on
  • Options
    InvisibleGriffinInvisibleGriffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Don't put your frappes on your computer. They'll cause water damage and make the keyboard sticky.

InvisibleGriffin on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Fraps is a no-go simply because it requires admin rights, and I refuse to install any software on a corporate computer that requires admin rights at run-time.

I'll look into Bandicam and obs.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.