As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] --- new thread up ---

NogginNoggin Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Games and Technology
LHB88gh.png
Diablo III: Reaper of Torsos Souls

PA Clan - The Merch Hungers
Unfortunately the Clan has reached the 150 player cap and is full at the moment. Should room become available in the future, we will post in thread.

However, the Community, PAF, has nearly unlimited space and everyone is welcome to join. Open the Community window in the bottom right, Click Find and search for PAF. You'll see that HooverFish is the leader and can simply click "Join Community". You will not automatically enter Community chat when you log in, but you can click the Chat button in the Communities window and enter it manually for now.

The European Clan is also named TMH. If you play in this region, send a join request through the in-game communities UI and/or message evilthecat#2464.

And now, the big list of patch/expansion features... (more detail in the spoilers to cut down on length)
  • New class - The Crusader! (RoS only)
    1Zdg0Gi.jpg
    "Impenetrable armor, gleaming weapons, and heavy, heavy damage–wield the power of the Crusader, unbreakable new hero of the mortal realms."
    The evolution of the Diablo II paladin, less auras and more shield smiting. They are very focused on having a shield, even so far as having the option of using a Two-handed weapon AND a shield (with a passive skill). Yes, they have Blessed Hammer!
  • Act V! (RoS only)
    Malthael returns intending to destroy all demonkind. In case you didn't hear the word Nephalem enough in Diablo III, that means humans too. Act V is also full of side dungeons and even a handful of side missions for the jeweler and each follower!
  • Level 70 and a 4th passive slot! (RoS only)
  • Paragon levels are now account wide, infinite, and provide new bonuses
    Although still separated by softcore/hardcore, all of your characters' paragon XP has been added together and converted to your new level.

1 Paragon point is earned per paragon level and can be spent on the following bonuses, even on a brand new character:
    Core: Main stat^, Vitality^, Movement Speed, +Resource
    Offense: Attack Speed, Cooldown Reduction, Crit Chance, Crit Damage
    Defense: % Life, Armor, Resist All, Life Regen
    Utility: X% Area Damage*, Resource Cost Reduction, Life on Hit, Gold Find

^ - Can be scaled infinitely, everything else caps at 50 points by plvl 800
    * - a new stat on gear: All attacks have a 20% chance to also deal X% of the damage to enemies within 10 yards.
  • Loot 2.0!!
    Items will now drop less often, but are more likely to be useful. Sometime you will even find a "smart drop" that will specifically roll appropriate stats for the class you are playing.

Most Legendaries now come with a new unique affect and can drop at any level above their default. In other words, lower level legendaries can appear again at higher levels with their stats scaled up.
  • New Gems
    In addition to new tiers (Imperial, Flawless Imperial, Royal, Flawless Royal), Marquise gems will begin dropping! Also diamonds!
    Weapons: Bonus damage against Elites
    Helms: Cooldown Reduction
    Armor: + to All Resistances
  • Adventure Mode: Bounties & Rifts (RoS only)
    This new mode is an alternative to playing the campaign. All Acts and Waypoints are unlocked. All bosses spawned. You have a lot more freedom to roam around and slay demons. Each act has 5 bounties to complete various tasks - like clearing dungeons, killing named monsters, etc.

Rifts were previously referred to as Loot Runs. You'll earn Rift Keystone Fragments by completing bounties, which can then be combined to to open a Rift. These randomly generated areas have randomly generated monsters, so you could end up with Act III monsters on an Act I tileset. Or rooms full of treasure goblins. Or cows!
  • New Difficulty system
    The concept of Normal / Nightmare / Hell / Inferno is retired. Campaign mode monsters will now automatically scale to your level, so you can repeat as certain areas as uch as you want and keep leveling effectively. Additional monster affixes show up somewhere around levels 30, 50 and 60.

The new system uses Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment I - VI for a total of 10 difficulty settings. This makes the difficulty somewhat analogous to the /players command from Diablo II, or Monster Power from Diablo III.
  • Enchanting & Transmogrification (RoS only)
    The Mystic finally shows up and offers enchanting and transmog services.
    Enchanting allows you to replace 1 property on an item with a randomly generated new property. It gives you multiple stats to choose from, including the original. This means you won't necessarily make a better item, but you aren't forced to make it worse. If your first try doesn't work out, you can enchant it again, but only for the stat you initially decided to replace.

Transmog is much like the system in World or Warcraft, allowing players to change the appearance of their gear. New appearances will be unlocked by leveling your mystic and identifying set/legendary items that drop in Loot 2.0. We can finally use colored dyes on legendaries!
Upcoming changes, Ladders and Tiered Rifts!:
"Ladders"
A ladder-like system, called Seasons, will be added in the first major content patch. More information on this is coming soon.

Tiered Rifts
This is essentially a competitive challenge, entering increasingly hard Rifts to see how far you can get. When you complete a Rift you may find a Greater Rift Token. Using the token to complete a "Greater Rift"(?) will get you a Greater Rift Key (rank 2), and so on. Again, more info coming soon.

Finally, some other helpful resources from the previous OP:

- Thanks to Previous Thread makers @Skab, @GoodKingJayIII, @Bethryn, @Shen, @SkutSkut, @HexDex, and @_J_

Battletag: Noggin#1936
Noggin on

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Excellent.

And I love the Merch added to the logo. <3

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    To be fair, that was added by @_J_ in the last thread.

But it's too perfect, especially with the intended clan name.

Oh right, he sure did. It's so perfect.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Don't think there's much if any of my OP remaining, but thanks anyway :D Really looking forward to this, it's my priority number 2 in the March game deluge after Dark Souls 2. Titanfall and FFX are gonna have to take a back seat for a little while.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Any word on when us filthy console vermin get a taste of this? I know the PS4 is getting an all-in-one release, but RoS has also been confirm for PS3 and 360.

Is it gonna be a download (probably not, given it's size) or something Kane's Wrath/Enemy Within (rerelease+expansion, which is probably more likely)?

newSig.jpg
    They have revealed no more console details than what has already been stated.

Assume based on the previous release that all of the major consoles (sorry Nintendo =/) will see a version of RoS. It's just a question of when, and in what format. No details of which have yet to be released.

Well, supposedly the patch may be coming on March 4th? Apparently there's blue confirmation but it's all in Korean, so we'll see

If true, it looks like pre-purchasing RoS will also unlock the Demon Hunter in Heroes of the Storm when that comes out.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wow, this expansion changes a lot more then I thought it would. I excite.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Pre purchased RoS, finished pre downloading 2 days ago. I tried playing without decking my barb out with stuff on the auction house. Needless to say, when I went solo, I died to almost every champion pack.

The game was actually difficult the way I played. Showed me the true face of the game; remember the "You will die" stuff from Blizzcon? That's pretty much the game without the auction house.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    If the patch comes on march 4th... With an exp boost... Well. I just tingle with antici... pation.

HexDex wrote: »
    If the patch comes on march 4th... With an exp boost... Well. I just tingle with antici... pation.

wildanduntamedthinghv8-540x356.jpg[

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Well, supposedly the patch may be coming on March 4th? Apparently there's blue confirmation but it's all in Korean, so we'll see

If true, it looks like pre-purchasing RoS will also unlock the Demon Hunter in Heroes of the Storm when that comes out.
    Prepurchase from anywhere or Blizz specifically? I have a preorder with Amazon because I want the physical CE.

steam_sig.png
    The comments mentioned that the translation may be a little rough.

It mentioned the Imperius Wings as a pre-purchase bonus too. Since we already know that's tied to the CE, the Demon Hunter Unlock could possibly be tied to digital deluxe and/or the CE.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    So far there's nothing but rumors which I wouldn't call credible (especially the ones that claim it's been revealed in another language but not English). Imperius Wings were datamined I think but not announced for anything yet.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    -Pages/Books/Tomes do not exist in the expansion and will all be converted to demonic essence.
    Wait, what? I didn't know this. Are they completely changing the proportions for demonic essence? I mean I think I've got a little over 100 demonic essence now, but I have thousands of tomes. Are demonic essences going to drop in piles in RoS?

On live, I have over 1000 tomes, on the PTR I have over 1000 essence and no tomes. So based on this highly unscientific observation I would say they convert at a 1 to 1, or near it.
    Either it'll take like 100 essence to make things or I'll never have to worry about running out of DEs again. Probably the former.

Essences are used for lvl 60 items only... they're basically useless after that point as you start needing the lvl 61-70 crafting materials which its equivalent is death's breaths that drop in the same way essences do (elites, champs, bosses)
    Shit. I am about to have a lot of useless crafting mats.

edited February 2014
    Holy crap, I just realized since I also have the 360 version I can go back and play "classic" Diablo III whenever I want.

Neat.

Magic Pink on
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Are all vanilla crafting mats going to be worthless in the xpac for level 61-70 gear, and transmogs?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    Are all vanilla crafting mats going to be worthless in the xpac for level 61-70 gear, and transmogs?

Essentially, yes.

Essentially, yes.

Will you be able to turn them into other mats at the Blacksmith like we could for the lower class stuff?

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    The lack of functionality for clans is laughable

Still better than D2's clan functionality.

It's a shame they flipped so far in the opposite direction with trading or they could've had a perk of members-only trade.

It seems easy enough to allow trade to a clan member with a join date older than the item's age... so I'm guessing that's just not in the item data, or they really want trade to be all or nothing.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's a shame they flipped so far in the opposite direction with trading or they could've had a perk of members-only trade.

It seems easy enough to allow trade to a clan member with a join date older than the item's age... so I'm guessing that's just not in the item data, or they really want trade to be all or nothing.

Or that would just encourage a massive clan to form for item trading.

It's already limited to 120 anyway

Clans seem perfectly functional as an aid for playing together. Sure they could have added all sorts of bells and whistles like clan levels, clan vendors, etc etc, but it wouldn't really have contributed anything to the game in the grand scheme of things.

As for trading, they've said that their stance on friends trading is essentially the same as the AH - it's cool at first to receive awesome equipment from a friend, but it still skips you way ahead in the progression curve which deprives you of the enjoyment of doing it yourself. And no matter how many rules you apply to it, people will always figure out a way they can abuse it - taking a hard stance keeps things simple and prevents all those messy grey areas.

• MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    BTW @Noggin those items that were stuck got released to my stash (although now I have another one so...)

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Will still be able to trade around yellows as long as you haven't enchanted them yet. So if you are looking for stuff for clan members/ friends you just need to pay attention to those items and not Legendaries.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Is $34.25 on Amazon the cheapest place I'm gonna find Diablo III?

Woot just purchased Reaper of Souls with Blizzbucks from liquidating some gold and gems on the AH. Now if I can get a couple more things to sell on the AH for Gold I'll be all set.

steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    How did the Xbox 360 version of Diablo III turn out? I'm considering renting it from a local Redbox as I'm not entirely sure my iMac is up to snuff in regards to handling the game.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited February 2014
    The 360 version is pretty good. We rented it a couple times then bought it on sale over the holidays. I actually think you get better drops at low levels than Loot 2.0(more Legendaries anyway) but there is more crap drops as well. Its more fun to play than PC Vanilla especially with local coop. Playing with a controller works pretty well for the most part albeit inventory management can be a bit finicky.

Reaper of Souls has me much more interested at this point though and I only play 360 D3 when I'm playing local coop with my boy.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2014
    There's a free demo for the PC version, you should try it if you can since you won't get the expansion on 360. Don't start playing the PC version for real until the 2.0.1 patch comes out next month though.

Zek on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Zek wrote: »
    There's a free demo for the PC version, you should try it if you can since you won't get the expansion on 360. Don't start playing the PC version for real until the 2.0.1 patch comes out next month though.

My iMac is from 2010, I don't think the hardware is good enough to play the game. Even if it is I'm not particularly crazy about having to play on "low".

I'm just gonna stick with the console version.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    One could argue it's not so awesome to play with people whose gear is much better or much worse than yours, though.

Zek wrote: »

My iMac is from 2010, I don't think the hardware is good enough to play the game. Even if it is I'm not particularly crazy about having to play on "low".

I'm just gonna stick with the console version.
    My PC is from 2010 and plays D3 just fine. Although I don't know what sort of hardware is in your Mac compared to mine, but it couldn't really hurt to give the demo a shot unless you don't like playing games on your Mac anyway.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    it was playable on a 2011 imac

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    How did the Xbox 360 version of Diablo III turn out? I'm considering renting it from a local Redbox as I'm not entirely sure my iMac is up to snuff in regards to handling the game.

Except for the inventory system, I prefer it over the PC version. Graphics are rougher tho, obviously.

I have added myself to the Happy Fun Diablo Buddies spreadsheet.

I expect the friend requests to come pouring in.

That spreadsheet is rather... inactive. What is your btag?

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    To be fair, that was added by _J_ in the last thread.

But it's too perfect, especially with the intended clan name.

Damn straight.

This discussion has been closed.