As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATEDNAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
IT'S 2014 EVERYONE AND IT SMELLS LIKE IT'S TIME FOR

U18iDmw.png
cell.jpg

WELCOME TO SE++'s NERD CAPITAL

this is the thread where we nerd out about all kinds of nerdy things

if this is your first time in the thread, here's a handy checklist of things to nerd out about

1) Smartphones
2) Tablets
3333333333) The fact that nobody can touch my Threes score
52) Other nerds being wrong about the thing they're nerding out about
6) Computers I guess
12) Apps
52b) The size of X versus the size of Y********
97) Tech news and people buying other people
43) How bad android is
77) The Blueies shaming the shit out of the Greenies for being Greenies

Wanna be an even cooler kid? Here's a list to our IRC info so you can tech chat ALL THE TIME using your favourite Internet Relay Client
nerd

*********THERE IS NO BABY HAND SHAMING ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD

FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE I HAVE PROVIDED A LIST OF KNOWN BABY-HANDS

1) @T4CT
2) @Abracadaniel
3) @Blake T
4) THAT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ALL OF THE BABY HANDERS TO BE HONEST

A%20letter%20to%20Bill%20Gates%20from%20Santa%20Singh(1).jpgtim-cook.jpgr-LARRY-PAGE-large570.jpg

we used to have a list of cool starter stuff for people just getting sweet ass tech devices we should remake that one day if we can come together and actually get something done

lol jk

nerding out starts NOW

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    My Nexus 4 is finally starting to break down, mostly on a physical level. It's lasted a good long while, and still has a few months left, but I may as well ask now - is the Nexus 6 too far away to really hold out for? Not to be confused with a Nexus-6 - I don't need any Roy Batties running around my apartment.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    There's a good chance there won't be a Nexus 6 because Google is rumored stop making Nexus phones after the 5. Instead there will be more Google Play Edition phones.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    How long have you been waiting to use that thread title?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    fZGOeLS.jpg

giant heads

tiny hands

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    So I got me a pair of these a little while back.

I enjoy them. They do good musics. The cord is a little bit unwieldy though.

I also got a new pair of Klipsch S4a's because 3 or 4 runs through the washer/dryer and snagging the cable one too many times made them finally bite the dust

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I love my 5s.

It's so good guys.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    How long have you been waiting to use that thread title?

a lot longer than i am willing to admit

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    My Skyrocket is still the best phone ever made by human hands.

Although I am thinking it needs to retire this year. Maybe for a Galaxy 5.

easysig2.jpg
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    My Nexus 4 is finally starting to break down, mostly on a physical level. It's lasted a good long while, and still has a few months left, but I may as well ask now - is the Nexus 6 too far away to really hold out for? Not to be confused with a Nexus-6 - I don't need any Roy Batties running around my apartment.

Also keep in mind that nexus devices are way cheaper than most other smartphones to buy if you suddenly want the new one -- so even if they did keep making them and you suddenly wanted the 6, it might not hurt toooooo bad

I would personally go for the Nexus 5, it's a gorgeous device. With smartphones, unless there's something releasing in the next month or two that you know is the upgrade from what's out, don't worry too much about what might be coming -- just make sure the device you get now is one of the best currently available

And the nexus 5 is!

Also I'm a hypocrite because I literally just buy everything

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I heard there were nerds in here

What's shakin' nerds

Stale wrote: »
    My Skyrocket is still the best phone ever made by human hands.

Although I am thinking it needs to retire this year. Maybe for a Galaxy 5.

Jesus man I think it was the first tech thread that I remember you posting about getting the Skyrocket

She's really held out a while eh

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I thought that I had sold my original Galaxy Nexus, but I just found it in a drawer in a random part of the house. Not really sure how it got there. It functions fine but it's got some pitting on the edge of the screen so selling it wouldn't bring top dollar.

I'm thinking maybe I should use it to test out custom builds that I might want to use on my Nexus 5 (although the experience will obviously not be the same).

Or maybe put Ubuntu phone on it?

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I should buy finance an Alienware 14 laptop

Xehalus on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Alienware is overpriced but if you absolutely have to game on a laptop for some weird reason you could do worse.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My hands are larger than yours.

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    if the Galaxy S5 that is rumored to be announced next week isn't totally laced in Touchwiz bullshit, it'll probably be my new phone when it comes out.

My over 2 year old Galaxy Nexus, despite running a Kit Kat rom fairly well, is running long in the tooth and the battery life on it is fucking abysmal. Definitely ready for a new hot phone.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    if the Galaxy S5 that is rumored to be announced next week isn't totally laced in Touchwiz bullshit, it'll probably be my new phone when it comes out.

My over 2 year old Galaxy Nexus, despite running a Kit Kat rom fairly well, is running long in the tooth and the battery life on it is fucking abysmal. Definitely ready for a new hot phone.

This is what decided me on the Nexus 5, actually. Stupid Touchwiz.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I really don't mind touch wiz. If it took up less storage space, that would be swell but it really doesn't bother me.

SirToasty on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have tiny pockets.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    What is the size limit for the baby hands club?

Xehalus wrote: »
    I should buy finance an Alienware 14 laptop

look into MSI laptops, alienwares are kinda pricey for what they are

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Pirusu wrote: »

This is what decided me on the Nexus 5, actually. Stupid Touchwiz.

I would much rather get the Nexus 5 but I'm on Verizon and don't really want to switch carriers even if I'm currently out of contract.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    SirToasty wrote: »

reJDapD.jpg

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8PgKZzGfCSjAKPqz_FDfZ3guEKd7hXkH2itfP7TA6jUYvmQWh

TRIES TO MAKE POST

FORUM LOGS HIM OUT

LOGS BACK IN

QUAD POST

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i learned that Windows Phone 8 can receive firmware updates independant of software revision

So instead of waiting for WP8.1.whatever, my touch screen drivers got an update today, similar to how you'd update any app in the app store

this is good since the drivers were bad

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
  • existexist Registered User regular
    that old dude in the op got a hell of a gin blossom

UmPiq.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I still have no clue what my next phone will be. I have a gnex that is rooted and running 4.3 in a smooth fashion. As was mentioned earlier the battery life is bad but I do have the slightly larger battery in it so it's not horrific. I am clinging to a vzw unlimited plan still, so that's part of my hesitation. Also that foxfi seems to be sporadic on kitkat. I was super close to buying a Moto X on a couple of occasions and sort of wish I had pulled the trigger, but at this point it's almost a year-old phone and I'm not sure I want to pay full price (even if that full price is around the same as an n5) for a year old phone.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I still have no clue what my next phone will be. I have a gnex that is rooted and running 4.3 in a smooth fashion. As was mentioned earlier the battery life is bad but I do have the slightly larger battery in it so it's not horrific. I am clinging to a vzw unlimited plan still, so that's part of my hesitation. Also that foxfi seems to be sporadic on kitkat. I was super close to buying a Moto X on a couple of occasions and sort of wish I had pulled the trigger, but at this point it's almost a year-old phone and I'm not sure I want to pay full price (even if that full price is around the same as an n5) for a year old phone.

The Moto X is only 5 months old, so I'd contend that it is worth the asking price. I don't personally own one (I have an N5), but I would probably own one if I were with Verizon and not AT&T. I have heard nothing but praise for it from the people I know who own one. Motorola doesn't seem averse to putting it on sale every once in a while, but who knows when they'll do it again.

Guys seriously, this fingerprint scanner is fucking awesome. I've got my two thumbs and my left index finger on it and it's great.

jgeis wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

The Moto X is only 5 months old, so I'd contend that it is worth the asking price. I don't personally own one (I have an N5), but I would probably own one if I were with Verizon and not AT&T. I have heard nothing but praise for it from the people I know who own one. Motorola doesn't seem averse to putting it on sale every once in a while, but who knows when they'll do it again.

I thought it came out last summer. I guess saying a year was disingenuous.

Also it's on sale right now still, $330 for a motomaker 16GB right now until tomorrow. Ugh, I am just kicking myself about "but what's around the corner?"

Moto X is an amazing phone, you'd be set if you bought it

This discussion has been closed.