As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The Audioengine A2s are pretty great, and nice and compact. Also much cheaper than the A5+s. They can go pretty loud without sounding like shit, too.

A friend of mine has these and they sound great for how small they are.

The Emotiva Airmotiv 4s are also worth a look at $300, and would be a nice step up from the A2's for about $50 more. https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-4s

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Yeah I mean.

That sure would be something.

I mean sure modern phones seem like magic but it's called a Microwave OVEN for a reason. I don't even trust those little plastic shits that say "use this to microwave bacon"

Look I appreciate your optimism towards people...

I really do...

But you have to understand, when it comes to technology, any "computery" things, average people suddenly forget about how everyday life works. Things the normally apply stop applying because a computer (or computer-like device) has become involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if the videos were fake, but I would be even less surprised if they were real.

I am pretty sure Arthur c. clark was talking about fictition but I think it weird we are living in an era where technology is almost indistinguishable from magic.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Yeah I mean.

That sure would be something.

I mean sure modern phones seem like magic but it's called a Microwave OVEN for a reason. I don't even trust those little plastic shits that say "use this to microwave bacon"

Look I appreciate your optimism towards people...

I really do...

But you have to understand, when it comes to technology, any "computery" things, average people suddenly forget about how everyday life works. Things the normally apply stop applying because a computer (or computer-like device) has become involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if the videos were fake, but I would be even less surprised if they were real.

I am pretty sure Arthur c. clark was talking about fictition but I think it weird we are living in an era where technology is almost indistinguishable from magic.

Granted, this is exactly how manufacturers want people to behave around the mystical objects they're selling. Wouldn't sell as many if there wasn't so much awe and fear.

Totally. It seems like older people don't always have room in their lives to understand it and I feel like a fair amount of younger people will grow up taking it for granted and never bother to learn either.

But that is being more pessimistic than I like. I like to give the majority of people the benefit of the doubt regarding this stuff. It just feels like the amount of people who don't know better will only grow as this stuff develops even faster.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Tech thread, I'm in the market for some decent desktop speakers. I'm looking for something reasonably compact if possible and I'd also prefer if they didn't have a standalone woofer.

What's hot in the speaker world these days?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX7Fe45D68o

Peas on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm afraid to buy expensive headphones because if they turn out to be uncomfortable, I'd have blown a load of money on something that just hurts my ears.

And yet, I really want a comfy pair.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    That is why I always buy circumaural headphones. Those are the most comfortable. Or the only ones that are really.

Also I got a thing to run the audio of my ps3 through my line in on my pc but it causes terrible buzzing. :(

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I'm afraid to buy expensive headphones because if they turn out to be uncomfortable, I'd have blown a load of money on something that just hurts my ears.

Go to a store. That way you can test the fit AND the sound.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

I've had pairs that seemed comfortable at first, but either turned out to be too tight or hurt my ears after some amount of time.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I've switched to using Fleksy as a keyboard for a while and it seems pretty cool slash good

Man I don't know what size I want it to be though!!!!

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Thanks for the speaker recommendations, guys.

The Audioengine A2+ looks like it's the best bet for me so far.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    That is why I always buy circumaural headphones. Those are the most comfortable. Or the only ones that are really.

Also I got a thing to run the audio of my ps3 through my line in on my pc but it causes terrible buzzing. :(

The problem I always have is my glasses. I picked up a pair of Sony over-the-ears that I rather like, but can't use them for a long time because they start to hurt. :(

工事中
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    The Audioengine A2s are pretty great, and nice and compact. Also much cheaper than the A5+s. They can go pretty loud without sounding like shit, too.

Yes
    I have the A2+s, they are compact and can DEFINITELY go loud

The +'s have the built in USB DAC, which is nice too

poo
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    My dad gave me his old Galaxy Tab2 when he got a new tablet recently. The thing was slow as shit so I never really used it much, but this weekend I got a wild hair and installed CyanogenMod on it. Holy cats, it's like night and day. The thing is actually usable now. Now I'm tempted to put it on my 1st gen Nexus 7 to see if I can get a performance boost out of that.

man there is like, literally nowhere around here that has like, floor model headphones.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/ZXJj5y0.gif

Here's the iPhone 6 being frozen in liquid nitrogen and then hit by a sledgehammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjmqErytJc

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

man there is like, literally nowhere around here that has like, floor model headphones.

http://head-fi.org has a heck of a lot of reviews; they're not the same as actually trying things on, but you should be able to get a decent idea.

If you're buying them blind no matter what, then you may as well go with online-only brands; the superlux hd 681 evos are pretty nice, big, fairly soft, but open-back-ish. Closed-back, soundmagic HP100 are _very_ comfortable and sound about as good as I think I need headphones to sound.

(that said, I thought $20 headphones were 'good enough' until I'd tried actually-good ones; having stepped up a couple more levels, I'm now very curious about what you get at the $1000 level..)

Yeah I am currently using some sennheiser 518s I got online.

They are really comfy and sound great to me.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the destroy new electronics and put the video on youtube cottage industry is fascinating to me. i enjoy how it's not just simple destruction, you have to find an interesting way to destroy stuff as there are so many people doing it.

liquid nitrogen is a good gimmick.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    trying to get a walk-in iPhone 6 is a fun sport. they get un-reservered shipments almost every other day. just not in the color or size you want

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    you also have to be able to film it in absurd fps to really do it right

can't wait for YouTube to fully roll out their 60 fps player. channels like those are going to get so much cooler

f24GSaF.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »

The problem I always have is my glasses. I picked up a pair of Sony over-the-ears that I rather like, but can't use them for a long time because they start to hurt. :(
    I use some sennheiser hd 555, the ear cushions are a) big enough so my ears fit completely and b) soft enough I don't feel my glasses

they are, however, not of closed, but open design, so they're only for use indoors, or outdoors if you're a huge asshole and want everyone to hear all your music

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Totally can't wait for the iOS 8.01 update.

It can actually remember that I'm not using the standard keyboard.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I just looked at the new iPhone at an Apple store. Should not have done that, I really like the 6 Plus. Like dang.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Or maybe they can make a keyboard that doesn't cover up what you're typing.

That's the responsibility of the app developer. They are given all the information they need to do shift their interface so that it doesn't get covered. Most don't because they are lazy.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have access to a battery of 6-pounder field cannons. I could make a YouTube series where I fire phones out of the cannons and see how far they penetrate a wooden wall or something.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

That's the responsibility of the app developer. They are given all the information they need to do shift their interface so that it doesn't get covered. Most don't because they are lazy.

I guess I would agree with this is it wasn't an issue with safari as well.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular

I use some sennheiser hd 555, the ear cushions are a) big enough so my ears fit completely and b) soft enough I don't feel my glasses

they are, however, not of closed, but open design, so they're only for use indoors, or outdoors if you're a huge asshole and want everyone to hear all your music

Yeah, unfortunately I'd like to use them while studying at the library or riding buses/trains.

I would get some pretty funny looks given the music currently on my S3.

工事中
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    SANDWICH

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    huh

i was screwing around with pcpartpicker and just noticed that one of the retailers on there is like a half an hour drive away

might've been able to save some money on shipping if i noticed before putting together this thing maybe

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yeah, unfortunately I'd like to use them while studying at the library or riding buses/trains.

I would get some pretty funny looks given the music currently on my S3.

Sounds like you want a sturdy set of circumaural phones with extra big, nice cushy earpads.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RB24S2/

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Okay so

I have tmobile. I want an iPhone 6 plus. I like my data plan but I don't like how they handle phone upgrades. You have to pay the whole amount for the phone, so like eight hundred dollars, but spread out over a couple years? This kind of seems like double down brown town to me. How do the other companies handle it? I don't care if I have to sign a contract, or whatever. I just don't like the idea of my cell phone bill going up fifty bucks a month on top of like a three hundred dollar down payment I think they said? I fuckin hate everything but my galaxy s3 is shitting the bed and I need something new real soon like. What sort of plans do You People have?

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i think the usual is subsidized price + 2 year contract

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Okay so

I have tmobile. I want an iPhone 6 plus. I like my data plan but I don't like how they handle phone upgrades. You have to pay the whole amount for the phone, so like eight hundred dollars, but spread out over a couple years? This kind of seems like double down brown town to me. How do the other companies handle it? I don't care if I have to sign a contract, or whatever. I just don't like the idea of my cell phone bill going up fifty bucks a month on top of like a three hundred dollar down payment I think they said? I fuckin hate everything but my galaxy s3 is shitting the bed and I need something new real soon like. What sort of plans do You People have?

It looks like they roll $750 of the iPhone's price into your month to month bill over 24 months (so roughly 31 a month for two years) according to their website. So if you get the 16GB its 0 up front, 64 gig 99 up front (phone is 850), and 128 gig 199 (phone is 950). Your down payment would probably be higher (and your month to month less) if they decided your credit wasn't good enough or something AFAIK.

I have a HTC One m8 and paid nothing up front, doing their unlimited minutes/text/1GB month plan.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah your choices are either buy it full price or pay an extra $30 over 18-24 months. You're likely to find that there aren't any options where you aren't making up the cost in a similar way.

Jasconius wrote: »

I guess I would agree with this is it wasn't an issue with safari as well.

By default Safari is pretty decent about it. But there's so much CSS and javascript hacky garbage out there that I have noticed it can occasionally futz with Safari's logic about what to do with a page.

A responsibly designed mobile site should not routinely have keyboard issues.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Yeah your choices are either buy it full price or pay an extra $30 over 18-24 months. You're likely to find that there aren't any options where you aren't making up the cost in a similar way.

Yeah, the nice thing on T-mo is that you aren't paying it anymore once you're done.

Or if you buy a decently cheap unlocked phone...needless to say the Nexus phones are pretty popular among cheap people like me on T-mo ;)

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    @Whipstitch Zombie T-Mobile no longer has contract-based plans. Everything they do is month-to-month and they don't offer subsidies on phones anymore. At least, that is for new customers. I don't know how they handle returning customers that were already on a contract plan.

Edit: AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon offer traditional 2-year contracts with subsidies in the phone.

jgeis on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You know what is pretty cool? My iPhone 6 will just not connect to my school's wifi despite both my laptop and my ipad mini also running ios8 being connected with no problem.

My iphone just sits there with the spinning icon.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.