As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Pal Community Thread 2.0 - Please read the first post :)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Do you guys actually have little flags on your mailboxes? And the mail-man will pick mail up for sending from them?!

They do, at least for older routes. Newer ones have communal mailboxes, so the delivery guy only goes to that one place rather than twenty or so mailboxes. But that also has a slot for outgoing mail.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    BODACIOUS!

• Options
    KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    Do you guys actually have little flags on your mailboxes? And the mail-man will pick mail up for sending from them?!
    Yes.

On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular

Yes, and I don't think I could live without it. Not only does the postman come every day (except Sunday) to deliver my mail to the box and pick up any outgoing mail (pins) from the box, but if you make a request (for free) online -- he/she will get out of the truck and pick up bigger packages from your porch/door/whatever. Yesterday I had four boxes (maybe 20 pounds worth total) of stuff picked up from our front porch. What's more, buying/printing your postage online and having stuff picked up at your house is significantly cheaper than hauling it to the post office and having them do it at the counter (they give you a hefty online discount).

So you guys have to actually physically go to the post office to mail anything? Ick, I truly hate going to the post office -- somehow no matter what time of the day I go I end up in line behind seven old people buying stamps with pennies. They also want to stop and talk to the clerk about each penny as they go :x

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    dmosinee wrote: »
    So you guys have to actually physically go to the post office to mail anything?

Everything, and yes.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Well if you buy a bunch of pre-paid satchels, you can mail things in your local community postal bin, they're located all around the place and these are what the mailman picks up every day. (Although in some parts of Australia, you might be travelling as far as the PO :P)

The usage is limited though, as they only come in set sizes and prices, they do however work great if you're selling games, dvds etc, I never went to the PO for that, 500g satchel was perfect.

Merchants can pay and print their labels online but as far as I'm aware, this isn't available to the general public yet. If it was, life would be much easier :) If you're not fussed about exact postage cost, you can slap $5 worth of stamps on a padded envelope and that should get your pin just about any where in Aus, not so great for International though and we have no way to declare the package for International postage online anyway.

Basically, none of it is ideal for pin trading :D

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    If you get a nice post office staffer, they can send a padded mailer bag as a letter since its so thin and light and it costs like $4.50 from Aus > US. No tracking/insurance etc, but eh if its a generic pin, who cares.

• Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Wow as a full time mail man this is a different conversation to read about on these forums. Pretty much what @Dmosinee said in his post is spot on, the only down fall to this is that is usually a lack of a tracking number. The number you get on the scan is the number for the customs form, and it really does differ from local post office to even your carrier if they scan and track this (ex. a lot of the $1 plastic phone cases you can buy off of Amazon or Ebay come from overseas, and if we try to scan any of that stuff, our scanners say nope, we still gotta try to document them. Thus tracking this internationally is kinda difficult unless you pay for the expensive stuff).

Also the flags on mail boxes is totally a thing, and its pretty necessary round here. People get paranoid about who's in their mail and such and were under pretty big rules not to take mail if they have a box that has a flag and it isn't up. Then again... people like to complain to us too over pretty much everything.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Diffusion wrote: »
    the only down fall to this is that is usually a lack of a tracking number
    As I understand it this is true for most countries, but Canada (and more recently Australia!) have a nice little arrangement set up with USPS. I believe the specific name for it for USPS is E-DELCON, and it is some kind of reciprocal tracking/DC agreement with the postal services of Canada and Australia. What I know for sure though, is that the pins I ship to Australia do get tracking that works for $6.16 (assuming you can keep the weight under 2oz). Only caveat is that the USPS site only gives you detailed tracking info till it hits the boat/plane/whale -- after that you have to use the same number on the Australia Post website to see if it gets stolen by a dingo or something on the way to the recipient.
    Then again... people like to complain to us too over pretty much everything.
    Not me, I love the USPS. Just look at how good we have it compared to these Aussies :P I only complain about other USPS customers.

dmosinee on
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    Then again... people like to complain to us too over pretty much everything.
    Just going on record to say I've never had trouble outside of one damaged box. USPS has always been cheaper, quicker and less of a pain in my ass than trying to deal with UPS, FedEx or heaven forbid DHL. THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO, DIFFUSION!

On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • Options
    Well it took 17 days but USPS finally got my pins from Sydney to a place 3 hours from Sydney today!

#sorrynotsorry

:P

• Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you get a nice post office staffer, they can send a padded mailer bag as a letter since its so thin and light and it costs like $4.50 from Aus > US. No tracking/insurance etc, but eh if its a generic pin, who cares.

I had a pin shipped to me from within Australia and it ended with the sharp pin nearly flat as opposed to perpendicular.

Nothing a pair of decent pliers couldn't fix but annoying.

Each pin must be loved and valued :)

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Options
    Yeah, if you mail it as a letter you run the risk of it getting brutalized in a high speed sorting machine. Same goes in the US -- you could chance it and try to send it as a letter for really cheap. It's risky though, and first class package isn't really that much more expensive ($1.93 for 3oz if you purchase online).

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Ooo never thought about the evil sorting machines of doom!

I'll make sure to send them as packages then..le sigh back to $20 a pin....curse you Auspost!

• Options
    For basic pin trades, I'd still probably send as a letter if I lived in the kind of postal hell that you guys do. I just can't believe that those 500g satchels are the only real option -- the price is actually competitive with USPS first class internationl if you were actually sending 500g (17oz) of stuff. The main problem is just that they don't offer a 100g option at 1/5 the price.

I would push the pin post into something that could take some punishment from a sorting machine -- like half of a pink pearl eraser -- and just go with it. The rules actually say you're allowed to send stuff as thick as 22mm in a letter -- provided you're ok with it getting roughed up a little in the machine. No tracking but it's only $2.75AUD to the US -- at that price I would just consider the occasional mutilated pin part of the cost, and know that I was still coming out ahead vs $15-20 AUD per pin.

• Options
    foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    i use 10 mm foam core to ship pins in that in a padded envelope is still thin enough to be a letter

• Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    foehammer wrote: »
    i use 10 mm foam core to ship pins in that in a padded envelope is still thin enough to be a letter

Great idea! I've got some of that and will try next time.

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Hey team, I may have missed a previous post, but do we know when the poster is coming out? My Holiday pins arrived (and are delightful), and now I'm just waiting on a long tube full of brain squirrel satisfying poster.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Last year mine came weeks later and there was no tracking or anything provided to me. Tweet at Brian and see what he says.

• Options
    SerpicoBC wrote: »
    Hey team, I may have missed a previous post, but do we know when the poster is coming out? My Holiday pins arrived (and are delightful), and now I'm just waiting on a long tube full of brain squirrel satisfying poster.

Already confirmed by Beker I believe that its coming out in a few weeks..

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

Don't think I gave a time frame, but they will be along later.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »

I'm in the midst of moving. Is there a way to change the shipping address for the poster? I'm pretty sure I should be receiving one.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Beker wrote: »

I'm in the midst of moving. Is there a way to change the shipping address for the poster? I'm pretty sure I should be receiving one.

You should talk to the actual merch guys at merch@penny-arcade.com

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So I got my pin bag with my spares out a week ago to grab some for a trade, and I thought I heard a *tink* in my bin beside my desk. I had a quick look to make sure it wasn't a pin and didn't see anything. All my spares are on cards so it would have stood out, not to mention it was in the wrong place for any of the pins I was pulling out to fall into it.

I noticed I couldn't find the badge Beker gave me at PAX but I thought it might have been somewhere else. Long story short I dug through my bin today and found it at the bottom.

A good story well told.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Good story, AAA+++ would read again.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Solid story, could have used a dragon.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    So I noticed on the packages I sent Fakay and Kam that I actually had a tracking ID number even though I didn't ask/pay for any type of tracking. I checked a receipt from last week and I also had a tracking ID for a package I just send to the US (without having paid for tracking).

I checked online and while I couldn't track the US package, I was able to follow the local packages online using the number. Is this a new thing Aus Post are doing? A receipt from 2 weeks ago didn't have it.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So I noticed on the packages I sent Fakay and Kam that I actually had a tracking ID number even though I didn't ask/pay for any type of tracking. I checked a receipt from last week and I also had a tracking ID for a package I just send to the US (without having paid for tracking).

I checked online and while I couldn't track the US package, I was able to follow the local packages online using the number. Is this a new thing Aus Post are doing? A receipt from 2 weeks ago didn't have it.

In the us you can track some packages until they hit customs without paying. Maybe this is similar?

• Options
    Yep, learned this too as i started sending pin trades to Aussies. There's a tracking number on the receipt. no need to pay extra.

The more you know!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Even more the more you know: If you're talking about USPS first class mail to Australia (and Canada via E-DELCON), that tracking number that works on the USPS site till it hits the ocean also works on the Aus Post site after it crosses. In this way you can get true stop by stop tracking from the US to Aus for just the price of first class international, $6.16 for 2 ounces.

Fish, did you try the number to the US on both the Aus Post and USPS websites? I'd be interested to see if you guys have a similar arrangement going in this direction.

• Options
    I'm getting an error on the usps site right now telling me to try again in 3 hours.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    So thanks to @El_Funko, I have everything for 2014 aside from Naughty Dog. Someone please tell me that it'll show up at PAX South. Even if you don't know. Just someone lie to me!

• Options
    So thanks to @El_Funko, I have everything for 2014 aside from Naughty Dog. Someone please tell me that it'll show up at PAX South. Even if you don't know. Just someone lie to me!

If you give me your DLC I will confirm that the Naughty Dog Pin will indeed be available at South.

• Options
    If anyone I sent cards to are wondering why they were crappy printed out ones I found on imgur, it's because the ones I ordered from Chainsawsuit only arrived today. Next year I guess!

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »

Can't wait, gotta remember to keep checking the store on that day.

• Options
    Since after pax and halloween, ive sort of been less interested in pins, didnt really care for the xmas set but got them just to finish '2 full years' i thought maybe ill consider quitting after this....then they announce this pin, which sounds freaking awesome and.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

he wasnt talking about the mafia....its so clear now, ITS THE SQUIRRELS

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Out long national nightmare of forced mingling is over!

• Options
    hmm......just thought of something...That 'suprise' that Brian alluded to us... could it possibly be early access to this pin? maybe we get to buy it a couple of hours before the public?

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    I don't see how dock workers could stop that.

This discussion has been closed.