As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting First credit card

SuperSockNinjaSuperSockNinja Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I'm looking into getting a credit card, mostly just to build up credit, and I have pretty much zero knowledge on the subject except to respect the power of debt :P .

I'm 20 and as of now shouldn't really have anything on my credit record. I was just wondering what are some things I should look for in terms of different cards, and specifically if someone could explain how different rates work and stuff like that.

EDIT: I live in New York if that helps

SuperSockNinja on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you've already got a checking account with a bank, your best bet is to ask that bank for a credit card. It makes it really easy to do online payments, and you're only dealing with one entity that way.

Just make sure you pay the balance every month.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You will build amazing credit if you pay off your balance every month, plus you'll always break even.

You don't have to pay the full balance but thats part of the reason why people get into trouble. Doing the minimum payment, charging more crap, minimum payment, charge more, accrue loads of interesting...well you get the idea.

A lot of cards you'll see in the mail say "0% APR!!!" which actually means we offer 0% APR for 3 months and then own your soul and charge 28% APR afterward. Your bank is the best bet as they can offer you a locked APR card, which is also backed by bank as well.

You've got a job right? Like solid income?

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I did the same thing for building credit. I wanted to be sure to pay it every month so I went with an American Express since you have to pay that bill every month. You pay no interest and you can float charges but I think you have to enroll in some program or something. I've never had to do it so I'm not sure. They've been good to me so far and their customer service is bar none some of the best I've ever had.

Shogun on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd definitely go to your bank about credit cards. For people in the know, do check cards build credit too? I almost always use that then my regular old credit card.

tofu on
  • Options
    GodGod Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spackle wrote: »
    You will build amazing credit if you pay off your balance every month, plus you'll always break even.

You don't have to pay the full balance but thats part of the reason why people get into trouble. Doing the minimum payment, charging more crap, minimum payment, charge more, accrue loads of interesting...well you get the idea.

A lot of cards you'll see in the mail say "0% APR!!!" which actually means we offer 0% APR for 3 months and then own your soul and charge 28% APR afterward. Your bank is the best bet as they can offer you a locked APR card, which is also backed by bank as well.

My girlfriend has a credit card that has 0% up to something like $250, which is nothing, I know. But she was able to set her limit to $250... so basically she got a free $250. She has a minimum $30 payment every month... but she can just charge 30 bucks when she pays it off.

Anyways, it's a good deal, and I haven't been able to find something like that. Maybe if you looked around you could find a similar deal.

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    I'd definitely go to your bank about credit cards. For people in the know, do check cards build credit too? I almost always use that then my regular old credit card.
    They do not. You're better off using your regular credit card, then paying it off with your check card.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    it should be also noted that if you live on your own or are about to, paying your cable bill/rent/etc also build up your credit.

and for the love of god, please do not buy stuff with the card that you do not have the money for.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My bank doesn't offer a credit card :(

I was turned down when I applied for a CC, something about not enough accounts open for long enough, I forget the exact reason. But getting a secure credit card is a good route to build up some more credit initially right?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Sky DemonSky Demon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think a good way to build up credit worth considering is to ask your parents to authorize you on one of their cards. Preferably a low limit card (just to be safe.)

Sky Demon on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    My bank doesn't offer a credit card :(

I was turned down when I applied for a CC, something about not enough accounts open for long enough, I forget the exact reason. But getting a secure credit card is a good route to build up some more credit initially right?

As long as you manage it properly. A cell phone will also create starter credit as long as you pay your bill on time and whatnot. Keep in mind once you get that first card they will mail bomb you with card offers. I get them from every company under the son. Just shitcan them regardless of whatever their offer is. One card is more than enough.

Shogun on
  • Options
    SuperSockNinjaSuperSockNinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    thanks for the advice.

Yeah I have solid income, but unfortunately I just closed my checking account (long story) and am about to open a new one with a new bank. I guess I'll have to wait a little while to get a card from them?

Once again, all these replies are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: being authorized on a parent's card builds your credit? wow I never knew that.. too bad my Dad wouldn't do that if he had a gun to his head.

SuperSockNinja on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't have a credit card yet as I'm a college student, don't have a job, and have no need for one. But my plan for when I do get one is the following:

1. Get one with my bank.
    2. Have my pay check on automatic deposit.
    3. Have my credit card bill on automatic bill pay.
    4. Never miss a payment.
    5. Have perfect credit.

Obviously I'd have to not buy shit out of my means, which I *plan* on doing.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    I don't have a credit card yet as I'm a college student, don't have a job, and have no need for one. But my plan for when I do get one is the following:

1. Get one with my bank.
    2. Have my pay check on automatic deposit.
    3. Have my credit card bill on automatic bill pay.
    4. Never miss a payment.
    5. Have perfect credit.

Obviously I'd have to not buy shit out of my means, which I *plan* on doing.

Good on paper.

Key phrase being "on paper." I support what you're doing but I never let anyone automatically draft my bank account. I prefer to handle things myself simply because when they decide they want their money and when I have the money to pay them could be different times. I might have the money to pay them two weeks before the bill is due and so I do. Or I wait and something happens and my bank account gets drained and they bill me. Not only is the bill not paid you now have overdrafts.

This is of course not an ideal and somewhat of an extreme situation. No one ever plans for their account to be completely empty ideally you'd still have savings but, I digress. Shit happens to everybody usually at the most inopportune time. It isn't that I don't trust the companies, its more that I'd rather leave myself with the responsibility of paying my debts. Building good habits for life and whatnot.

Note: I'm usually so paranoid about paying my bills I pay them as soon as I receive them.

Shogun on
  • Options
    LanthisLanthis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    it should be also noted that if you live on your own or are about to, paying your cable bill/rent/etc also build up your credit.

and for the love of god, please do not buy stuff with the card that you do not have the money for.

AFAIK Renting does not affect your credit score...

Lanthis on
  • Options
    oniianoniian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spackle wrote: »

Actually you get penalized, so to speak, for paying of your credit cards balance every month. Yes, for anyone listening you should be paying off your credit card(s) every month on time and be mindful how you use it. BUT... Credit scores are ratings assigned to you from lending institution. They want you to pay them money and on time. But they would much rather you carry a balance so they can generate more money, free money at that.

:!: They are in it for themselves, not for charity and a heart felt sense of generosity.:!:

So the person that pays on time every time but not all of the balance at once will have a higher credit score than the person who takes care of the entire balance every month (assuming the two people are identical in every other way). This also why mortgages and student loans are a great sources of credit score elevation.

oniian on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, I'm looking into getting a credit card, mostly just to build up credit, and I have pretty much zero knowledge on the subject except to respect the power of debt :P .

I'm 20 and as of now shouldn't really have anything on my credit record. I was just wondering what are some things I should look for in terms of different cards, and specifically if someone could explain how different rates work and stuff like that.

EDIT: I live in New York if that helps

Holy shit, if you changed that to "Arizona," you would be me.

I was even thinking of making this thread!

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sorry to butt in, but I've got a question about first credit cards too that doesn't really merit its own thread and might even be applicable here, so I'm going to ask it here.I Is there a large difference between a Mastercard and a Visa? My credit union currently only offers a Mastercard, and I'd really much rather go through them than an alternate bank. I'm looking for my first card, and I've gone so far as to apply for a ScotiaBank Visa, but I don't have any other dealings with them and my initial request was denied pending me bringing in lots of documentation to confirm my employment. I'd really like to go through my normal bank, what with my 15 year history with them, the increased ease of payment and what I'm sure will be a painless application process/acceptance. My only concern is that MasterCard isn't accepted quite as widely as Visa, as I've heard from the few people I've spoken to who have them. I am in Canada, if that makes any difference.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I happen to have both, though I live in the US, and in the Us have never tun across a place that doesn't accept both. The main difference that I've heard of and experienced is in international travel, Visa was the card to have if you plan on doing a lot of it and I'm not sure this has changed. If you plan on doing a lot of travel it might be something you should look into.

khain on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mainly what you should be concerned with are the conditions tied into the card: annual fees, interest rates, rates after late payment/defaultnig... and on and on and on. Annual fees can mean lower interest rates but that will only matter if you intend on carrying a balance from one month to the next.

The brand name matters little after that.

oniian on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oniian wrote: »
    Mainly what you should be concerned with are the conditions tied into the card: annual fees, interest rates, rates after late payment/defaultnig... and on and on and on. Annual fees can mean lower interest rates but that will only matter if you intend on carrying a balance from one month to the next.

Ohhh yeah thats one thing I forgot about the Amex. Annual fee. I think mine is $55 but so far this year I've yet to pay it. I'm not counting on that though I'm sure they always get their money in the end.

Shogun on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It was said earlier that the OP has a solid income. If it's a good job, they might give you a credit card based on that. I got one after I got a job, and the paystub was all they needed. They just wanted to see that I had money coming *in* at a regular interval, so I could pay off the credit card.

Being a new customer, go to the bank you're opening an account with and ask right away, if you can, ask when you are opening the account. Although they won't move mountains for you, they do still see you as a new customer that could go elsewhere if displeased. Explain that you weren't happy with your old bank, and you're looking for a place to open a chequing account, and have a credit card. They should do it just to secure you as their customer. Even if it's a pitiful limit, showing that you can manage it will do wonders for your credit.

If you *do* find someone to co-sign, ask about getting your own credit account, and how long you should wait before reapplying. My sister got my dad to co-sign and found out 2 years later that she actually hadn't created a credit record for herself, meaning the whole thing was pointless, the bank told her they would have put the account in her name after 6 months of timely payments.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually you get penalized, so to speak, for paying of your credit cards balance every month.

Do you work in the credit industry, or have you simply heard this through the grapevine?

The only people I've heard that from are people, not banks or lenders. But you can look here and here

from one of 'em:
    3. Pay Down Your Debt

Your credit card issuer reports your outstanding balance once a month to the credit bureaus. It doesn't matter whether you pay off that balance a few days later or whether you carry it from month to month.

Most people don’t realize that credit bureaus don’t distinguish between those who carry a balance on their cards and those who don’t. So by charging less you can raise credit score even if you pay off your credit cards every month.

Lenders also like to see a lot of of room between the amount of debt on your credit cards and your total credit limits. So the more debt you pay off, the wider that gap and the better your credit score.

It's definitely WORSE to carry a balance, because that's the amount of debt that you regularly carry. They also don't care about the amount. So if you're worried about a good credit score, it's worthwhile to charge at least something each month. It's also defintely in your best interest to pay off the balance. Otherwise you're just throwing money away and not gaining anything.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

Ohhh yeah thats one thing I forgot about the Amex. Annual fee. I think mine is $55 but so far this year I've yet to pay it. I'm not counting on that though I'm sure they always get their money in the end.

The Amex Blue has no annual fee and a pretty good money back system (spend money, get points, get cash credited back to your card based on the points at the end of the year). On balance, I'd say it's probably one of the best cards on the market. It's so good that when I tell telemarketers that I have an Amex Blue they just give up trying to sell me their own cards.

If you're paying your bills on time each month, it makes great sense.

RE: Setting up a direct debit for paying your bills. I'm not sure if you can set them up to pay off the whole bill, but companies like Amex have a system where they have a minimum payment, so you can set the DD to cover that and then if you do forget to pay the bill for whatever reason (on holiday when it arrives, get hit by a bus etc.) you at least only get charged interest and not late-payment penalties.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Everything that people mentioned is true, some others.

There are usually two types of interest.

1) Grace period, you buy something and have X days (usually 30 or 60) to pay it off, these have a higher interest and yearly fee.

2) Interest from day one, you buy something the next day you start paying interest the nest day. These usually have no annual fee and a lower interest rate.

Also don't just take the credit offer. Cause banks are dicks like that. I used to date a girl who was earning 23k and was offered something stupid like 7k limit. Decide your limit before you go in. I only have a thousand because realistically that's all I decided I would need.

One of my friends had a bad experience with AMEX. He tried to supercharge his card (putting extra money on it) To go shopping. AMEX read that as paying off his debt and put a hold on his card for a month. Basically they want you to hit the credit payback day (usually 30) so you start paying interest. Basically you pay interest or you can't use the card anymore. This to me does not sound like an ideal situation.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    One of my friends had a bad experience with AMEX. He tried to supercharge his card (putting extra money on it) To go shopping. AMEX read that as paying off his debt and put a hold on his card for a month. Basically they want you to hit the credit payback day (usually 30) so you start paying interest. Basically you pay interest or you can't use the card anymore. This to me does not sound like an ideal situation.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying there but...one of the things I like about my Amex is that I can make online payments whenever I choose. So if I go buy something big on my Amex I can come home that night and pay it off immediately. They've never stopped me using the card for this behavior.

It seems more likely that they would have put a freeze on the card for suspicious behavior or something.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you're having trouble getting a card from your bank, you might also want to consider getting a department store credit card (Target or Macy's for example). They tend to have very high interest rates, but if you're only using your card to build a credit history, you should be able to pay most if not all of the balance off each month so that isn't an issue. Then, once you've built your history, you can apply for a lower APR card.

Starting to build a history when you're around 20 is a good idea. Also, wanted to add that once credit card companies know you're looking, they'll send you all sorts of offers. Don't just rip them up, make sure you check them out first - you may get one that makes more sense APR wise than your current card.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just be careful.

I have a ton of credit card debt because of job problems in the last few years (that I am finally digging out of), and I ended up late on some payments, so now they are all at max interest rate until at least sept. It's really putting a pinch on my finances and will for a long time.

I wish I hadn't done it but it was either that or starve.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    My bank offers an "e-card" (what an e-tarded name). It's a MasterCard tied to my regular bank account. I create a temporary 30-day MasterCard CC number with a set spending limit on it.

It's a bit annoying to have to add a new card to Amazon/Paypal for that bi-monthly shopping I do with it though, so I'm going to get a real one soon.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Actually you get penalized, so to speak, for paying of your credit cards balance every month.

Do you work in the credit industry, or have you simply heard this through the grapevine?

The only people I've heard that from are people, not banks or lenders. But you can look here and here

Your argument itself seems to be based on hearsay.

First: I am a Finance and Information Systems graduate.

Second: My parents were told this when they had their credit rating assessed by a professional at Equifax.

The credit score institutions will not say that they will penalize you for it because of the practical reasons of it making good PR sense and good legal sense (in a sense you are not getting penalized; you will have a good rating, just not as good as a more profitable customer). They owe you no explanation legally on every nuance of how they calculate one's score. They are only legally obliged by legislation to give on free credit report per year.

It stands to reason, regardless of what I have said above, that the lending institutions who calculate the score will not only want to evaluate the borrower on the likelihood of being able to repay the loan but generate a profit for themselves. They are taking a loss in the sense of time value of money factor if they lend to someone who will provide little to no profit. These institutions have investors themselves which demand require rates of return. They own the game you are playing, they make the rules, and they are out for their own interests.

That all being said, DO pay off your credit cards and avoid getting sucker punched with the interest rates credit cards carry.

oniian on