As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Wasn't Egoraptor also on the first stream, despite having previously talked about how he hates the Igavania Castlevanias and prefers the classic ones?

I assume whatever Youtube affiliates these people have set it up for them to get popular web personalities in the streams without regard for how they feel about Castlevania.

Despite the noises Arin makes, he's been pretty positive in the SotN playthrough they've been doing recently.

Even in his Sequelitis episode, I didn't get the sense that he hates Metroidvania style. Just that he prefers Classicvania and doesn't think the level up system adds much.

There was a lot more dislike in, say, the Zelda video.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Wasn't Egoraptor also on the first stream, despite having previously talked about how he hates the Igavania Castlevanias and prefers the classic ones?

I assume whatever Youtube affiliates these people have set it up for them to get popular web personalities in the streams without regard for how they feel about Castlevania.

Yeah, that's true. Gotta get the kickstarter awareness out to as many people as possible.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Despite the noises Arin makes, he's been pretty positive in the SotN playthrough they've been doing recently.

Even in his Sequelitis episode, I didn't get the sense that he hates Metroidvania style. Just that he prefers Classicvania and doesn't think the level up system adds much.

I also thought the clan names were based on contributors/investors prior to the kickstarter. Did I read that wrong? Because Egoraptor and Game Grumps were both listed, and I took that as not only GG tossing in cash, but Arin himself putting in even more.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I also thought the clan names were based on contributors/investors prior to the kickstarter. Did I read that wrong? Because Egoraptor and Game Grumps were both listed, and I took that as not only GG tossing in cash, but Arin himself putting in even more.

I believe chuggaconroy said he was just friends with the fangamer people setting it up and they asked him if he wanted to sponsor a clan.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i hope iga takes that 5.5mils and slaps konami in the face with it 5.5 million times.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah Egoraptor has never voiced a dislike for any particular Castlevania titles overall, he just prefers the old versions where everything is slower-paced and more apparently methodically crafted

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I can't handle how good this theme is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZdjLeiXmc

Just... damn.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    There's an excellent arrangement of Holy Cross Obsessed by the Moon (Top Floor) by Michiru Yamane herself. The track was downloadable from the GBA game's official Japanese site, along with two other arrangements: The Cross of Fate (Castle Corridor), and Requiem for Dark Souls (Chapel). Finding youtube links was not easy (they don't seem to be credited properly to her), but there they are.

Edit: While the official site with the music downloads has been replaced with a stub for the "The Best" GBA release in Japan, the tracks still have an official source. All three showed up, years later, on the Lament of Innocence soundtrack as tracks 12, 13, and 14 on disc 2. VGMDB has the album info.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    castlevania64bikesb.jpg

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    castlevania64bikesb.jpg

Putting the "bone" in Bad to the Bone!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    There's an excellent arrangement of Holy Cross Obsessed by the Moon (Top Floor) by Michiru Yamane herself. The track was downloadable from the GBA game's official Japanese site, along with two other arrangements: The Cross of Fate (Castle Corridor), and Requiem for Dark Souls (Chapel). Finding youtube links was not easy (they don't seem to be credited properly to her), but there they are.

Edit: While the official site with the music downloads has been replaced with a stub for the "The Best" GBA release in Japan, the tracks still have an official source. All three showed up, years later, on the Lament of Innocence soundtrack as tracks 12, 13, and 14 on disc 2. VGMDB has the album info.

I know Konami is certifiable, but how could you ever fire her? Her style is amazing and unique.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The big question for me: Will there be any bosses as freaky or freakier than Legion and Beelzebub?

I love all bosses that are really giant and screen-filling, so at any rate I hope there are plenty of those.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

I know Konami is certifiable, but how could you ever fire her? Her style is amazing and unique.

I think they said her style was too girly.

No shit, that's what I heard.

What the hell, right?

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Grove wrote: »

I think they said her style was too girly.

No shit, that's what I heard.

What the hell, right?

That's just the dumbest...

I get it if you want to "mix" it up a bit with LoS and feel she doesn't have the right style for that particular game, but you don't cast a talent like that aside. Her music is legendary.

Luckily Iga knows this about his team overall.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I wonder which IGAvanias Konami will try and re-release during the lead-up to Bloodstain's release, and how half-assed those ports will turn out to be?

• Options
    I wonder which IGAvanias Konami will try and re-release during the lead-up to Bloodstain's release, and how half-assed those ports will turn out to be?

I'd be all for PC re-releases, but yeah, I'd expect the bare minimum of effort in their ports.

"We are proud to announce that you can finally play Harmony of Despair on PC! Oh, by the way, we didn't implement the multiplayer element in this version."

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I've been replaying Symphony of the Night, and it's still great.

How's the PSP port? Are the visuals really that improved?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    It's a straight port, just with a few additions and a redone NA localization, so the visuals won't be any different. Some might even find them worse due to the stretching and filtering required to fit the PSP's resolution.

• Options
    Yeah. Visual are the same. What's changed is that the localization and voice work is new, and Maria is playable, but entirely different from her Saturn incarnation. In DXC, she plays like a more adult version of herself from Rondo of Blood, using owl projectiles and animal subweapons.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

"Get me Digital Eclipse on the line. I've seen this happen before, and they know just what to do: we will have them collect all the Castlevanias from the NES and release the Castlevania Legacy Collection!"

"But sir, we only had three Castlevanias to Capcom's six Mega Man titles. Besides, IGA didn't--"

"THREE OF OUR GAMES ARE WORTH ANY SIX OF THEIRS! NOW DO AS I SAY!"

Ah, but in all seriousness, Konami's utter lack of collections shy of a few arcade packs and the odd Metal Gear bundle has always been a huge disappointment to me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Don't worry, we'll get Castlevania: Rebirth: Rebirth, the Xbone/PS4 remake of the WiiWare remake of the Gameboy Castlevania! :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, on the way in, I thought of something. LoS 2 is on the bad side for a Castlevania game, or as a game in general? Because if its just bad for a Castlevania game, its still probably better than a lot of stuff out there.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Don't worry, we'll get Castlevania: Rebirth: Rebirth, the Xbone/PS4 remake of the WiiWare remake of the Gameboy Castlevania! :P

Aargh I just imagined the title Reverse: Rebirth and aargh I can't even aargh I'm picturing it in Castlevania context aargh can't unsee aarghrggh
    Brody wrote: »
    So, on the way in, I thought of something. LoS 2 is on the bad side for a Castlevania game, or as a game in general? Because if its just bad for a Castlevania game, its still probably better than a lot of stuff out there.

I felt it was a pile in every sense, not just as a Castlevania game. A few of the enemy designs look sweet, but its one of three games out of over a hundred that I regret buying, its only saving grace that it came with a free digital copy of Symphony of the Night. I enjoyed the first LoS enough on its own, not as a particularly Castlevania-esque title - for me Castlevania has always meant 2D, especially the Metroidvania-style games. I suppose classically Castlevania has more frequently been a level by level game where you go from one screen to the next until you fight a boss, but I've loved the exploration and RPG elements of games like SOTN onwards more.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular

I couldn't get more than an hour into it before I just stopped giving a shit. And I liked LoS a lot.

LoS 2 just kind of fell flat for me, for a lot of reasons.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm sure the forums won't format this correctly, but could folks have a look see at this list and tell me if I'm missing something obvious?

I'm just making a few lists of a few series I want to make sure I have at least one version of every game for (within reason) and this is what I've got for Castlevania.
    Castlevania			NES	VC(Wii)		VC(WiiU)	VC(3DS)	
    Castlevania 2			NES	VC(Wii)		VC(WiiU)	VC(3DS)
    Castlevania 3			NES	VC(Wii)		VC(WiiU)	VC(3DS)
    Castlevnaia 4 			SNES	VC(Wii)		VC(WiiU)	

Castlevania: Adventure		GB	VC(3DS)
    Castlevania: Adventure Rebirth	WiiWare
    Castlevania 2: BR		GB							No Rerelease
    Castlevania Legends		GB							No Rerelease

Castlevania 64			N64							No Rerelease
    Castlevania LoD			N64							No Rerelease

Castlevania Chronicles		PS1	PSN
    Castlevania: RoB		VC(Wii)	
    Castlevania: DXC		PSP	PSN
    Caslevania: Bloodlines		Genesis							No Rerelease
    Castlevania: Dracula X		SNES	VC(WiiU)

Castlevania: SotN		PS1	XBL	PSN
    Castlevania: CotM		GBA	VC(WiiU)
    Castlevania: HoD		GBA	VC(WiiU)
    Castlevania: AoS		GBA	VC(WiiU)
    Castlevania: DoS		DS							No Rerelease
    Castlevania: PoR		DS							No Rerelease
    Castlevania: OoE		DS							No Rerelease

Castlevania: LoI		PS2	PSN
    Castlevania: CoD		PS2	XB						No Rerelease

Castlevania: HoD (Multiplayer)	PSN	XBL

Castlevania: LoS		360	PS3	PC
    Castlevania: LoS MoF		3DS	360	PS3	PC
    Castlevania: LoS 2		360	PS3	PC

Judgement isn't there for a reason, and I intentionally left off games not released in the US or only tangentially related games. Am I missing any titles, or generally available platforms they're on?

EDIT: Of all the random ass shit hell; my wife has a functional original Gameboy in a box of ancient crap (zip disks, floppys, etc).

For reference my wife plays no video games. Welp! I'll be taking that for my own uses!

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    That list looks complete, except SotN is also on PSP as part of the the Dracula X Chronicles collection.

• Options
    Ah yeah, thanks. Probably missed it since there is a different Dracula X and a different Chronicles. :rotate:

Don't have a PSP anyway, but I'll toss it on there.

Just to be clear, though, the RoB on it is the same as the one on the Virtual Console, right? I know the script and such in the DXC version of SotN is different too.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Ah yeah, thanks. Probably missed it since there is a different Dracula X and a different Chronicles. :rotate:

Don't have a PSP anyway, but I'll toss it on there.

Just to be clear, though, the RoB on it is the same as the one on the Virtual Console, right? I know the script and such in the DXC version of SotN is different too.

It's the same game and levels, but with 3D graphics replacing all the art. You can unlock original Rondo of Blood too.

castlevania-dracula-x-32.jpg

SteevL on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

If you can get past the suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper shitty stealth sections and uninspired design of the modern day city sections, also basically ignore the asinine plot, there's a decent game hidden in there. The combat is better than the first LoS.

It feels a lot like a game that was going to be awesome, and the glimmer of what once was occasionally shines through, but the whole thing was sabotaged by some dickmunch who fancied himself the next IGA. Which it turns out is exactly what happened.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Aargh I just imagined the title Reverse: Rebirth and aargh I can't even aargh I'm picturing it in Castlevania context aargh can't unsee aarghrggh

What's so disturbing about a Kingdom Hearts title?

• Options
    Bloodstained has been pretty quiet on the updates front. They said they'd be sending out surveys to backers by the end of the month, and here we are. Just a little bit of time left. I suspect we'll be getting them next month.

In the meantime, here's what Konami's been doing with the Castlevania franchise. A trailer for their latest pachinko machine. Probably NSFW:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uk83ceNRo8

Well, that sure is something.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Oh, Konami.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    What the hell is that?

And why is there so much detail in how a ridiculous top piece would effect a video game boob?

It takes a lot to make me feel uncomfortable with a video game, but oh my gosh that did it.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Ah yes, eroticism and violence, the two things any civilized society wants to go hand in hand.

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    Erotic Violence?!?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    About the only positive thing I can say about that trailer is that the music sounds like part of the song "The Poet and the Pendulum" by Nightwish.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    What the hell is that?

And why is there so much detail in how a ridiculous top piece would effect a video game boob?

It takes a lot to make me feel uncomfortable with a video game, but oh my gosh that did it.

Forget it, Kai_San. It's Pachinkotown.

• Options
    Right. Screw everything about that. Focusing on Bloodstained extra hard now.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Ah yes, eroticism and violence, the two things any civilized society wants to go hand in hand.

Why do you think the Belmonts kept all those whips? :biggrin: It was only a matter of time before they broke out the rest of the BDSM arsenal...

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm playing Lords of Shadow 2.
    And I really like it.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.