As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Of course there is. In true Japanese fashion as well and honorable. *shows a piece of thread*.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

Iga on twitch talking about Bloodstained for the next 15 mins.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Who the hell would have guessed it would be easy to kill Death and Dracula with fish heads? (HoD)

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The Fish Head attack is freakishly strong in that game.

I think my Soma used it as his primary attack spell, as all his others were utility (Yorick, Puppet Master, and the homing energy ball thing that can pass through floor/walls).

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    The Fish Head attack is freakishly strong in that game.

I think my Soma used it as his primary attack spell, as all his others were utility (Yorick, Puppet Master, and the homing energy ball thing that can pass through floor/walls).

The dead fish torpedo? Haven't tried it yet. I just started using Soma a few days ago.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    No, there's one where he throws a giant skeletal fish head at people, kind of in a similar arc to the axe.

I think it's from one of the DLC chapters?

Lars on
  • Options
    That's the fish head. The dead fish, from what I read, acts like a torpedo. I'll try it out when I get home from work, as I could use an attack that goes through walls.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    Is this one of those Japanese things where they consider a Western savory thing to be some kind of dessert deal? :P

Yeah, I really want to know what he was expecting, because it's hard to fathom being aware of "Mac & Cheese" as a phrase but not have it connected to the foodstuff. And based on the picture it does look like he was in the post-meal, "relaxing with some whisky" phase.

I know what Macaroni and cheese is, but for some reason what first came to mind for me was a cheese burger... I blame advertising.

20110428-149149-rebar-burger-mac-and-cheese.jpg

??

That photo has aroused me.

edit: My hunger

edit 2: And otherwise

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    That's the fish head. The dead fish, from what I read, acts like a torpedo. I'll try it out when I get home from work, as I could use an attack that goes through walls.

The homing energy ball is what goes through walls, the fish head bounces if I remember right. The fish head is useful because it hits really hard and can hit larger enemies multiple times fairly easily.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jeremy Parish at USGamer played the Bloodstained demo at E3 and came away impressed. And he's a big Castlevania fan.

• Options
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I shall take the opinion of Jeremy Parish, huge Castlevania fan and reviewer I tend to often find has similar tastes in games to me over random PC Gamer guy that spent half the review bitching about the boss design.

But I suppose I'll see myself soon enough. Did they ever announce a date for when the backers get that demo?

(Side note, unrelated to the review but God damn do I hate sites with screen-covering full screen ads...)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I shall take the opinion of Jeremy Parish, huge Castlevania fan and reviewer I tend to often find has similar tastes in games to me over random PC Gamer guy that spent half the review bitching about the boss design.

But I suppose I'll see myself soon enough. Did they ever announce a date for when the backers get that demo?

(Side note, unrelated to the review but God damn do I hate sites with screen-covering full screen ads...)

They originally said it'd be either during or soon after E3. Probably should have just said "after E3". Someone from fangamer recently posted in the Kickstarter update comments that they'd send out another update before sending out the demo.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The homing energy ball is what goes through walls, the fish head bounces if I remember right. The fish head is useful because it hits really hard and can hit larger enemies multiple times fairly easily.

Ok, so Witch is the energy ball? If not, it's still a pretty useful soul. What's the big deal about Yorick?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I think the gameplay shown was very reassuring and promising while also not being amazed by that boss.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Cool, I'm excited to try it :D

Oh, mini rant - he complained about enemy placement which seems petty as heck to me given how early the game is still. I got the impression that they specifically tended to include the enemies they had previously revealed which may not have necessarily been what was intended for the final version of that level. (i.e. This is what they had done and working to slap in there). I dunno, some of his points might have been valid if this game was near completion but they were pretty nit-picky for how long we still have yet.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't read the PC Gamer piece, but it seemed readily apparent from the video posted in the thread that stuff like enemy placement was just placeholder content intended to simply provide something to attack and demonstrate animations and abilities.

• Options
    I mean, I think this sums up the review pretty well:
    What I’m afraid of is Bloodstained exactly retracing the conventions established by Igarashi’s older Castlevania games. I loved those games, but do I really want to play a new one that hasn’t evolved the plodding movement and blocky room design? At this point, I expect more.

I feel like this is the old Penny Arcade "Dog, why can't you be more like a cat?!" comic all over again :P

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I mean, I think this sums up the review pretty well:
    What I’m afraid of is Bloodstained exactly retracing the conventions established by Igarashi’s older Castlevania games. I loved those games, but do I really want to play a new one that hasn’t evolved the plodding movement and blocky room design? At this point, I expect more.

I feel like this is the old Penny Arcade "Dog, why can't you be more like a cat?!" comic all over again :P

So basically we just need Iga to make a Shiba Inu is what I'm taking away from this.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I expect Iga to make an Iga game, complete with movement and blocky rooms abounding, as well a quirky enemies, a dark horror without much terror, and a lot of fun bits that gave rise to the term "Metroidvania".

If I expected more, I'd look elsewhere, like to Valdis Story, or I'd try my hand at making my own.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I understand wanting quote unquote a more satisfying experience but i'm not sure a castlevania game could give him what he's looking for, or at least to do so it would cease being a castlevania game

He doesn't really specify what he wants so much as what he doesn't want, and what he doesn't want is castlevania

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Though this isn't exactly a new or unique sentiment, nor a completely wrong one. I've seen similar sentimennts of "is what you did a decade ago the best the series can do now?" leveled at other revival projects, like MN9, or SF0. Haven't been following Yooka-Laylee, but I can imagine someone's said that for that. And on some level, it's understandable. You want your old favorite, but you also want to see how much further we've come since that old favorite came out.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Right, but how much of whatever is the authentic experience of x and how much of it was janky shit because the devs were inventive/lazy with coding, etc.

If we get into that then it becomes a lot of "well, what is Castlevania to you" and obviously that's a hairy topic since everyone has a different idea of what defines it that could be improved or evolved past the 2d platformer monster slaying.

Is the "blocky" movement in castlevania not a deliberate design decision? Idk. It's never felt super awkward or unresponsive to me personally except for the super old school ones where whichever belmont you were controlling climbed the stairs at a fixed pace or something like that.

Orphane on
  • Options
    Honestly too, we already know they have some interesting new ideas planned for the game that they've outlined in some of the kickstarter updates. It's just the core gameplay that they are keeping the same, which I feel is the whole reason people backed the game in the first place.

To use a counter example, I've heard nothing but endless bitching about Mighty No. 9's dashing mechanic (which I personally found fun for what it's worth :P). I feel like you'll never be able to please everyone no matter which direction you go.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Honestly too, we already know they have some interesting new ideas planned for the game that they've outlined in some of the kickstarter updates. It's just the core gameplay that they are keeping the same, which I feel is the whole reason people backed the game in the first place.

To use a counter example, I've heard nothing but endless bitching about Mighty No. 9's dashing mechanic (which I personally found fun for what it's worth :P). I feel like you'll never be able to please everyone no matter which direction you go.

Innovations in a Mega Man game should be like more than 8 bosses, different ways to upgrade your character, better storytelling, etc. Changing the whole game flow feels like a mistake.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ehh. I don't really think the defining aspects of a Castlevania experience are rooms-as-blocks and kinda slow movement. It doesn't seem that weird to want things to have moved on a bit from SotN, but it does seem weird to say that wanting that is not wanting Castlevania at all.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Speaking of, my only gripe with the sliding mechanic in Bloodstained is that it's super short and feels kind of clunky when navigating the stage.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    metaghost wrote: »
    So... has there been any Bloodstained footage from E3 released?

Some offscreen footage of someone playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAL07Pbqx3c

that music <3

Also what we are seeing so far is basically exactly what was promised, for better or worse. I am pretty stoked about it, personally.

Neco on
  • Options

Innovations in a Mega Man game should be like more than 8 bosses, different ways to upgrade your character, better storytelling, etc. Changing the whole game flow feels like a mistake.

Changing the game flow with a dashing mechanic sounds like what they did with Megaman X.

Which, admittedly, is a risky path to take if you're touting your game on memories of Megaman Classic, but that depends on the player, I suppose.

• Options
    i feel like the megaman x series is a pretty good example of games that lost cohesiveness because the developer tried to "evolve" the franchise too much. towards the end in x8 you had like 3 different characters you could play that each had different weapon styles and etc.

that could have just been capcom, though

• Options
    Yeah, I think I heard that the original plan was for the X series to end with MMX5, after which the story continues to MMZero.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Huh. I never played the other Igavanias, but I never had an issue with Alucard's movement in SotN. And if Bloodstained is anything like that, we'll be getting some form of dashing like the wolf and bat dashes.

But, when I think of plodding movement, I think of controls that are sluggish. I never had any issues getting Alucard to do what I wanted when I wanted. I'm betting the same will be the case here.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I heard that the original plan was for the X series to end with MMX5, after which the story continues to MMZero.

It was, Capcom made more basically without involving Inafune at all. Which, everything after X5 is pretty much garbage anyways.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I really liked X8, though I agree that some of the features (e.g. hot swapping characters and health that regenerates on its own) make it feel very different from the rest of the games. X7 was some hot garbage, though.

Fry on
  • Options

Ok, so Witch is the energy ball? If not, it's still a pretty useful soul. What's the big deal about Yorick?

Yeah, I think Witch was the homing energy ball that passed through walls/floors.

Yorick is a big deal because it basically allows you to cheat. You can throw the skull out and then jump kick off of it (and if you're really good, you can throw another skull in midair and jump kick off of that one as well, and continue on several times). This allows you to take paths you aren't supposed to be able to take, meaning you can take some massive short cuts, or just get to some places in single player that you're typically only supposed to be able to get to in multiplayer.

Once you have 9 Yorick souls, the size of the skull increases by a good bit which makes it easier to jump kick off of.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Changing the game flow with a dashing mechanic sounds like what they did with Megaman X.

Which, admittedly, is a risky path to take if you're touting your game on memories of Megaman Classic, but that depends on the player, I suppose.

There's a distinct difference, though.

In Mega Man X, the dash was basically a speed boost and evasive maneuver, sort of like an upgrade to the slide that played into jumping and wall-climbing.

While Mighty No. 9's may do much of that (minus the wall-jumps, as I don't think Beck has that), the whole game is focused around you using that dash to go through enemies after weakening them sufficiently and chain together combos. (And it sucks when one recovers before you can pull it off.)

Even if you opt out of doing it on the enemies found throughout a level, you still have to use it to beat bosses.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    MN9 looks just a touch too slow, does anyone agree? Like, press the dash button... d a s h through an enemy.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The bad guy should be Vlad "Dracula" Tepes. He's a public domain character and any shitstorm Konami raises would only add publicity.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Eh.

I'm more interested in seeing where the new characters go than I am with giving Konami the middle finger. They probably wouldn't even see it from the top of their pile of pachinko money, anyway.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Vlad "Tepes" Dracula.

This discussion has been closed.