As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Eh.

I'm more interested in seeing where the new characters go than I am with giving Konami the middle finger. They probably wouldn't even see it from the top of their pile of pachinko money, anyway.

I really liked how Castlevania, and even better, SMT, just vomit out mythological creatures. I wished that both games said "wait a minute, these are fictional beings come to life" and played up that they are born from human imagination.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Well, I mean, SMT does occasionally get into that, with at least three major endboss enemies in the Persona series being just straight up manifestations of human consciousness.

Though, they don't play it up nearly as much as series like Touhou do.

Enlong on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Doesn't Persona essentially do that? Most recently I recall in Persona Q that the main god of that game was born out people thoughts and ideas about what he was and what role he performed.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    They do, though they rarely point that assertion against the other demons you use as personae in battle.

But when they do...

Enlong on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Lars wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    That's the fish head. The dead fish, from what I read, acts like a torpedo. I'll try it out when I get home from work, as I could use an attack that goes through walls.

The homing energy ball is what goes through walls, the fish head bounces if I remember right. The fish head is useful because it hits really hard and can hit larger enemies multiple times fairly easily.

Ok, so Witch is the energy ball? If not, it's still a pretty useful soul. What's the big deal about Yorick?

Yeah, I think Witch was the homing energy ball that passed through walls/floors.

Yorick is a big deal because it basically allows you to cheat. You can throw the skull out and then jump kick off of it (and if you're really good, you can throw another skull in midair and jump kick off of that one as well, and continue on several times). This allows you to take paths you aren't supposed to be able to take, meaning you can take some massive short cuts, or just get to some places in single player that you're typically only supposed to be able to get to in multiplayer.

Once you have 9 Yorick souls, the size of the skull increases by a good bit which makes it easier to jump kick off of.

Saw Yorick in action. Played with an all Japan (minus my gaijan self) crew, they just flew up to the top of stage 8 or 9 using Yorick. Impressive.

Super polite cats, btw. Lot of sorry and thank you. There was a player loot grinding his Simon, so they all surrounded him and kept him safe. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but I joined in once I figured it out. Played All 10 stages on both difficulties helping out.

Edit - I should say he was new to the game so they decided to get him through the whole game on both difficulties. Once they saw I was helping keep him alive, they started mob rushing to the bosses for the quick KO while i played bodyguard. Seriously impressive crew.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I never understood why something so familiar has to be seen as such a terrible thing.

I played Mega Man 1-6 and those are all pretty much the same game with very lil changes or innovations but they're fantastic and I love coming back them. I don't need video games to reinvent themselves with every new entry, I just need them to continue to deliver what brought me to them in the first place.

Innovation is great and I'm certainly not arguing against shaking things up (they did with SOTN and it was fucking amazing and Bloodstained probably wouldn't exist without it) but I don't really care if Bloodstained is just like every other Igavania, as long as it's as half as good as the rest of them, it won't matter. Its not a mark against it for me.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Also the nice thing about it being a Kickstarter, is that you know exactly how much support you have for it being just more of the same (also sometimes referred to as a niche market).

In this case, it was $5.5 million worth of support. So it certainly is a solid market wanting things to be straight up like they were, just a new experience on it.

I actually hope no new spin on the old thing gets added, because that would kill my interest kind of like how MN9 dashing mostly did for that.

• Options
    No new spin? Ehhh.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I mean, i'm all for ui cleanup or better inventory management or even system changes, but i think the core experience of castlevania is the hooks of 2-d exploration + paced combat + big boss fights. The newer gba + ds games tried various things with combat/equipment, but it was definitely still castlevania

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Less rune-drawing, for instance?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    They did that once. In the first of three titles on the DS.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Technically, the monster soul collection thing was new to the series when they first did it, and they played around with it after they had used it so you could switch between setups, and a few other tweaks.

But at their core, the "Igavania" games pretty much stuck to the basic game play laid out by SotN; using various equipment, take out monsters and bosses, gain new abilities, and explore an ever increasing side-scrolling area to gain enough power and eventually defeat the last boss (Dracula or Drac analog). It's very much similar to the heart of Legend of Zelda and Metroid, and there's a reason I enjoy those games, and it's because at their heart, they feed my itch to collect, explore, and fight.

I want, even need that core in order to be interested in this game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Demo Is Here!

Now that IGA and company are back from E3, it's time for the moment you've all been waiting for: We're sending out demo keys! In a minute I'll cut to IGA so that he can say more, but before I do here's what you need to know about the demo:

Do I get it? We're sending the demo to anyone who pledged at a $60 tier or higher on any platform and filled out their Fangamer survey by June 13. (But the demo itself is only playable on Windows.) You'll be receiving your key at the e-mail you used to back the Kickstarter.

Have you sent it yet? We'll begin distributing demo keys shortly after we post this update, and we expect most of them to go out pretty soon after. But if you haven't received your key by June 27, send an e-mail to orders@fangamer.com. (If you're eligible to receive the demo, and you filled out your survey, you'll also find it on the backer management page you can reach from your survey link.)

Is this the beta? No! This is the demo build IGA and the team premiered at the Xbox booth during E3. The beta will be coming later in the process, and will be available to anyone who backed at one of the beta-eligible tiers we described during the campaign.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just got the email, though haven't tried the demo yet.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Just got the email, though haven't tried the demo yet.

Same... I'm so tired it may need to wait until tomorrow :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'll have to try a little harder today, but so far it's not working with my controller. If I unplug and plug the controller back in it will work for a few seconds, but that's it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Watched Jim Sterlings gameplay video of the demo, and it looks really good! It's hard not to think about the current KS dumpster fire of a spiritual successor to a beloved franchise, but this one seems to have a bit more competency going for it. And by "a bit" I mean "truckloads". Bloodstained isn't due out this year, is it?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Anyone wanna buy my demo code for PC? I got no interest in it but I DO have some interest in... Andrew Jackson.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Watched Jim Sterlings gameplay video of the demo, and it looks really good! It's hard not to think about the current KS dumpster fire of a spiritual successor to a beloved franchise, but this one seems to have a bit more competency going for it. And by "a bit" I mean "truckloads". Bloodstained isn't due out this year, is it?

Yeah, the promised Kickstarter date is March 2017, I believe. I'm still anticipating a delay, though. I've just come to expect delays. :)

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    They did that once. In the first of three titles on the DS.

Right, I'm saying that the above suggestion was for less changes like that versus the UI an QoL changes mentioned.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

This alpha footage is already better and more loyal than anything the other case you are referring to has even at release.

The only good MN9 assets were the artistic renderings given before production for the kickstarter. I think Bloodstained, so far, has matched or exceeded it's own early renders.

When I talked about it not adding any new things to the formula, I was mostly referring to me. Also I was more referring to the core gameplay, not the additional aspects of the RPG formula. Part of the core gameplay is some form of collection or new combat addition that affects your building and planning of your playstyle. I don't mean things that would drastically alter how you fight, how you go through the castle etc.

Like if, for instance, Bloodstained felt the need to be "progressive" on the genre by replacing leveling with something new and unique. That would be altering the core gameplay in a way I don't need. Give me leveling, equipment (that there are rare options for both hiddin in the castle and rare drops) and stats. Give me a small shop option to collect money for. Give me some form of other gameplay element like spells of buffs or something that also involve collection like equipment does. I kind of would like to get the artifacts (or whatever they were called) from SOTN back that were free effects you could turn on and off. Those were cool. Then just make the castle a new and spawning thing to experience and learn, enemies to have to deal with in different ways because of new skills and equipment, maybe just because its a different order. Etc etc. That is all it needs (for me).

So far, it looks like that is what we will be getting.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Pretty sure my PC will shit itself trying to run this demo. Might give it a whirl though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Got the email last night right before going to bed, set steam to download it, will try it tonight.
    The Mighty 9 outcome has me a little wary about my investment here but I think we have seen better results already comparitively.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Just looked at the system requirements for the demo...I don't meet them. :(

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i played the demo and i think it was super good
    i wasn't expecting to really be impressed with a build this early but it happened

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I decided to try running the demo anyway, even though my specs are pretty low. I ran it at a lower resolution and it was...playable. The game would occasionally freeze a bit before an enemy attacked, and overall it probably ran at 15-20 FPS, but I am happy with what I saw. I didn't bother playing all the way to the boss.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I just barely exceed the system requirements (calls for a 650Ti, I have a 660Ti), but the game ran very smoothly at 1080. Still can't figure out the issue with the controller, but I played ok with the keyboard and mouse.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Played demo. It was great, and very encouraging. Only two things i might gripe about...1) The controls when turning around are a bit loose. Like, I wasnt getting the responsiveness when trying to turn in the air and attack downward, it would attack on the side i was facing, not turn around and attack that side. 2) The final boss was a little too neon colored. I would have preferred a more detailed model instead of all the bright colors. It seems out of place with the rest of the gothic setting.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I played and beat the demo last night.

Jumping is way too floaty but otherwise I am happy.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Also it ran fine on my Surface Pro 4, which doesn't even have a discrete GPU.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
  • Options
    clicking on the second one comes up with other examples that are quite entertaining.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "This gal played Castlevania Judgement"

Yeah, but is that something you really want to brag about?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Those shirts are a sacred gift.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Castlevania and Castlevania 2 to be included on the new NES Mini due out in November!

• Options
    The what now?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    The what now?
    Nintendo are making a plug and play NES thing. Has 30 classic NES games built into the unit. Including castlevania 1 and 2.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The what now?

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-the-mini-nes-will-play-30-classic-g-1783660997

Because this was a thing that was needed.

It's basically a somewhat higher quality version of one of those tat consoles with the built-in dozen Atari games you see at tag sales all the time.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's basically just nintendo making their own bootleg.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Ah.

Dang, I was hoping it would also have the hardware to plug in actual cartridges, since I have a fair number of those, but also a busted NES.

This discussion has been closed.