As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm probably going to get one still. :hydra:

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Does it have games not on the virtual console?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's cool that they're making it, but it's not for me. Also weird how it has Super C, but not the original Contra. Same with Double Dragon.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Yeah, it's cool that they're making it, but it's not for me. Also weird how it has Super C, but not the original Contra. Same with Double Dragon.

Also no Castlevania III, which makes me wonder what kind of emulation it's running.

The controllers being Wii port instead of USB makes me sad as well. I would love a native NES controller for the PC.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Simon's Quest is a pretty odd choice to put on a compilation like that, IMO.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Simon's Quest is a pretty odd choice to put on a compilation like that, IMO.

They had to axe Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse from the list because 31 is not a nice, round number.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    This has led me into a Wikipedia rabbit hole regarding Contra, which I fondly remember from playing just the first three games.

I had no idea the series was so prolific, and now I kinda want to go check out the Hard Corps PSN entry.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    There was a Contra that came out a few years ago. Probably PS3 era but maybe PS2 era? I can't quite remember because technology, man. But anyway. The one I'm talking about had a floating head thing that kind of reminded me of the System Shock head. It was all wiry and stuff. And anyway, that game was pretty neat and I was impressed at the time that they were able to bring the Contra series into the then modern era. Of course now that's nowhere near modern. Because technology, man.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's totally for people like me, who doesn't live in the US and doesn't have easy, cheap access to NES consoles and games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There was a Contra that came out a few years ago. Probably PS3 era but maybe PS2 era? I can't quite remember because technology, man. But anyway. The one I'm talking about had a floating head thing that kind of reminded me of the System Shock head. It was all wiry and stuff. And anyway, that game was pretty neat and I was impressed at the time that they were able to bring the Contra series into the then modern era. Of course now that's nowhere near modern. Because technology, man.

I got one of the PS2 Contra on my PS3. It was a very difficult and not that fun.

• Options
    There were two PS2 Contras:

Contra: Shattered Soldier
    Neo Contra

I have them both, but never beat either one. I played a lot more of the former than the latter. I was initially excited about Shattered Soldier because it seemed like it would be a return to form (after that mediocre PS1 game), but it lacked the soul of the old Contra games.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hard to top Neo Contra's opening:

https://youtu.be/azVh3H_EP6E

Worth the price of admission right there. Shattered Soldier's was pretty good, too. The game itself was insanely hard, though, even by Contra standards.
    SteevL wrote: »

Konami has ALWAYS released Super C and never Contra on Virtual Console, aling with just about every version of Contra III to exist, so this doesn't surprise me. Drives me nuts, because until this I've refused the others until I could marathon all three, but doesn't surprise me.

Happy to have Simon's Quest. It's my favorite of the NES trilogy, and adds a bit of diversity. I'd rather have Dracula's Curse with it instead of the original, but the special chip might have something to do with that.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Give us the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Looks like the PS3 Contra, Hard Corps, is on flash sale for $4.50

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Shattered Soldier was a super cool game that honestly needed cheats. Yes it's a cute "hard game" gimmick to refuse access to the end game levels if you don't play on Hard mode. No I don't want to have to absolutely master the whole beginning of the game to even SEE the end. Doing that for Rocket Knight Adventures was enough.

Hard Corps was also a really great Contra game, more grindy than it needed to be though. Takes the excitement out of DLC characters if each one you buy takes a second job amount of time to field to end game.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    That is a pretty good value, basically $2 per game, and some of those games are amazing

• Options
    I've got Hard Corps on XBLA. Never really gave it a chance beyond playing it for 10 minutes, unfortunately.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Hard Corps is quite fun actually and when not playing arcade mode you can level up your health and such making the game easier and more approachable. Otherwise like other Contra it can put hair on your chest.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I've never gotten around to Castlevania anything but have been picking up PSP titles since I like the PSP and we seem to be in the golden era of cheap used pricing before stuff inevitably goes back up as it gets hard to find.

I bought Dracula X Chronicles and apparently it is actually like 11 games in one or something? Fill me in on what the difference is between Sorrow of Darkness and Eternal Lament and Scarytown of Nightbad or whatever these are

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I've never gotten around to Castlevania anything but have been picking up PSP titles since I like the PSP and we seem to be in the golden era of cheap used pricing before stuff inevitably goes back up as it gets hard to find.

I bought Dracula X Chronicles and apparently it is actually like 11 games in one or something? Fill me in on what the difference is between Sorrow of Darkness and Eternal Lament and Scarytown of Nightbad or whatever these are

Dracula X Chronicles contains:
    1. A remake of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. This is the game you can play immediately.
    2. The original version of Rondo of Blood. This is unlocked by collecting an item in the Romdo remake.
    3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. This is the sequel to Rondo of Blood, and the first of the "Metroidvania" Castlevanias. It is unlocked by collecting another item in the Rondo remake.

I apologize that I don't remember where these items are located in the game. There might be other ways to unlock them too.

• Options
    And rather than a straight port of the PS1 SOTN, it's a slight remake, with a new script/voice work, and playable Maria (based on Rondo, rather than based on the Sega Saturn version of her)

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Okay, so are the Rondo of Blood ones going to be more linear? Ghouls & Goblins style?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Yeah, Rondo was basically the last of the Castlevania 1-style Castlevanias.

• Options
    Although unlike earlier Castlevania games, Rondo has a stage select that lets you replay levels, as well as hidden areas and alternate stages. It's a pretty neat game!

• Options
    Oh, and the 3D (art) version of Rondo in X Chronicles lets you select any song from the music track to play on any stage, or as the boss music. Even includes some tracks that normally aren't used in the game, such as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8FJGRNFtw4

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Didn't Bloodlines come out after Rondo?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Didn't Bloodlines come out after Rondo?

There was also a remake of The Castlevania Adventure (Game Boy CV game) that came out for the Wii.

• Options
    True, there were those. I always forget about them because I played Bloodlines long before I even knew about the existence of Rondo of Blood and I always mistakenly lump it in as coming out afterwards. Especially since SotN is directly linked to Rondo. And to be honest, I never really cared much for Bloodlines.

I also have a hard time remembering to include Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth since it had been so long since a linear Castlevania had come out and I'd played most of the pre-SotN games as a kid.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    New update, weapon animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUmih6PlIs

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1646772
    We're back! This month IGA has some animations to show you—and with them, a look into the kinds of weapons and attacks you'll encounter in Bloodstained. Without further ado, here's IGA:

Weapon Animations

Right now we're planning to add a number of basic weapon animations, which will vary depending on the weapon you have equipped.

We've put together a video displaying each of the basic animations, but here's more information about each one:

The kick motion will be be triggered any time you've equipped shoes, although Miriam will be able to kick by default. Kicking attacks trade attack speed for diminished range.

Swords and maces are wielded with the single-handed horizontal slash motion, which is the baseline attack motion as far as speed, range, and power are concerned. Attacking with a mace also causes thrust-type damage.

Short swords and rapiers both utilize a single-handed pierce style, but each type has different range and speed. (Short swords have less range than rapiers, but players can wield them in a continuous attack with the help of some judicious button-mashing.)

Katanas alone receive the single-handed vertical slash motion. This is the animation we based on that umbrella-swinging video!

To wield larger weapons like great swords, axes, and rods, your character will use the two-handed vertical slash motion. Use it correctly and you can deal huge damage to your opponent. Axes are even slower than great swords but deal more damage, while rods are somewhat faster.

Spears receive their own two-handed pierce motion. Their long range can make the difference when engaging an enemy, but their length and slow attack speed could leave you defenseless if you miss.

And of course whips have their own motion. But... it's different! I won't say what it's different from, but it's not from THAT series. Like you might expect, it takes a while to swing a whip, but your reward is increased range.

Finally, guns use the shooting motion, giving you a projectile attack. But you'll use up a bullet each time you fire.

Backers at our RUNIC FORGING tier will choose from one of these 12 weapon types to design their own unique weapon. If you're a backer at that tier, please design your weapon based on the weapon type and its motion.

We traveled a lot in July, visiting shows like Anime Expo and BitSummit4th. I probably met some of you while we were out!

That's all we have for this update, but the summer isn't over. Remember to drink a lot of water and stay healthy! - IGA

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The new age of whipping.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The new age of whipping.

Miriam demands more discipline! :winky:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The new age of whipping.

The whip animation is fucking slick.

Also, this is the first I'd heard about guns. I'm hoping for dual-wielding SotN style, so I can go pistol/whip.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The new age of whipping.

The whip animation is fucking slick.

Also, this is the first I'd heard about guns. I'm hoping for dual-wielding SotN style, so I can go pistol/whip.

4krfhvf.gif

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    He has his finger on the trigger so every time I see that gif I cringe real hard

• Options
    He has his finger on the trigger so every time I see that gif I cringe real hard

Springfield isn't known for trigger discipline, to be sure.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTZMMsUwY4

Bloodstained delayed so they can spend more time perfecting it. I'm fine with this. Guess they are hiring on extra developers as well which is nice.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Yep, I fully expected this even before I gave them $100. Obviously I'm OK with it.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    After the utter travesty that was Mighty No. 9, he can take as long as he wants/needs to get this right. We don't need another "spiritual successor" game being a flaming pile of hot garbage.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Was there a thing that Mighty No. 9 actually does bad as a game, other than not being Mega Man?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Weren't delays the main complaint about MN9's development cycle? I'm perfectly fine with waiting on the game to be ready, but I find it kind of odd to compare it to MN9 in that specific way.

That said, I kinda felt like MN9 was a decent game. Of course, it being The Kickstarter Game for the longest time doesn't exactly bring expectations down. "Decent but flawed" slides into the side of unacceptable after that much hype. It's a damn shame that the reception pretty much ensures that there will never be another game in that series, since I thought there were places the characters could go that I wanted to see. C'est la vie, I guess.

This discussion has been closed.