As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Kinda bummed the tier with the kickstarter exclusives is $60+

I woulda kicked in the $28, but there doesn't seem much point now. :I

Same. I don't think I have it in me to put $60 on this, especially with the Steam sale going on, and at this point, backing the $28 tier is just a glorified pre-order.

Edit: Not to say that I'm not happy for them. I'm ecstatic. It's just there's not much of a point to throw money in further unless you want backer exclusive rewards.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Grove wrote: »
    This host (the guy in the brown shirt) is terrible and embarrassing. I don't think he got the memo that this countdown isn't about him. He's very self absorbed. I really wish they would've found someone else because he is one of the worst and most awkward hosts I've seen.

ahaha Ben just called him out on this exact thing.

That felt nice.

EDIT: Actually, who the fuck is the guy anyway?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I liked what I saw of Fraser & Video Games Awesome a few years back.. but he's admitted he is quite jetlagged and this was thrown together at the last moment. I also haven't been paying that close of attention.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This host (the guy in the brown shirt) is terrible and embarrassing. I don't think he got the memo that this countdown isn't about him. He's very self absorbed. I really wish they would've found someone else because he is one of the worst and most awkward hosts I've seen.

ahaha Ben just called him out on this exact thing.

That felt nice.

Ha I saw that. It's been a really terrible show because of that guy. I've had to switch it off multiple times because he can't get over himself.

The channel's chat just shows deleted message after deleted message because everyone's rightfully hating on this guy.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh no this fan art is terrible!

Eh, there were a couple ok pieces, but woof there was a lot rough stuff in there to make a cutaway video to.

Grove on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Is this brand new music on this fan art thing? Or maybe it's the one that was there. They are certainly playing the main theme now..

Edit: Oh good, the two dumb familiars got 4th and 3rd. I don't care which of the other two wins, they are both good.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    So apparently you can up your pledge later on down the road, so if you think you might want to do that later, donate $5 and increase it later. Just checked the FAQ out of curiosity.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    steve. STEVE

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    And that's a wrap. Wow, what a ride. Just as an outsider looking in was a rush. I imagine those more deeply involved had a blast.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Sounds like I missed an annoying final stream tonight! Oh well. I've seen a few episodes of Video Games Awesome and always thought they were OK.

At least the kickstarter has been funded and all stretch goals have been achieved.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Glad I put in my $100. Now the hard part. What clan do I put my credit under. Game Grumps of the Zaibatsu.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So apparently you can up your pledge later on down the road, so if you think you might want to do that later, donate $5 and increase it later. Just checked the FAQ out of curiosity.

I wish I knew this a few hours ago.

• Options
    Which one finished their igavania run/seemed to care at all

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Now we get to wait and interminable amount of years.

If they keep up the updates like they did throughout the Kickstarter it might not be that bad.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Glad I put in my $100. Now the hard part. What clan do I put my credit under. Game Grumps of the Zaibatsu.

Zaibatsu. It sounds cooler.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Glad to see this was so successful. Number one gaming Kickstarter (not counting the Ouya) and number 8 overall (number 7 counting Paypal donations).

On the subject of the stream I get that it wasn't the greatest of introductions but please don't hate on Fraser and the Video Games Awesome team too much. Keep in mind they were only asked to do this a couple of days ago and flown in from Canada. And they had 6 hours to prepare 4 hours of content. Even a professional host would struggle under those circumstances. (Although granted the alchohol didn't help matters)

Also this isn't really the VGA format. Fraser is used to having to drive the conversation or bouncing off of his friends. Having to sit back and encourage others to fill the blanks isn't what he's used to.

At any rate they're worth checking out, I'll attach a few links in spoilers if anyone is interested or wants to give them a second chance.
    Heavy Rain
    My Personal favourite. If you don't mind a bit of cringe comedy and black humor then this has some of their finest moments.

Beyond Two Souls
    While it was sad to see them be so disappointed by a game they had so anticipated the games absurdity provided a lot of material to riff on.

Ace Attorney
    Fraser voicing the Ace attorney cast really is kind of incredible.

Deadly Premonition
    One for fans of Swery or Twin Peaks.

• Options
    I disagree. He was obnoxious and self absorbed. It got so bad that Ben Judd LITERALLY said something to him on stream-- "it's not about you." He's sitting with LITERAL legends and all he cared about was constantly getting himself in the shot, asking them questions about HIS favorite topics, cutting his interviewees off, etc.

I mean...Ben was telling a very serious story about how 3 guys met playing SOTN and became very good friends. One of them died, not sure when, and the other two decided to buy the very expensive tier which rewards a portrait of someone in the game. They paid to have their dead friend's photo in the game so he could be remember forever.

Fraser or whatever his name was, literally stuck his head in the shot the whole time and kept adjusting it so he was framed up. I watched him look at their feedback monitor and adjust himself into the frame over and over. EVENTUALLY he just stepped out and held the camera like he should have the whole time. Ben was trying to be serious and dudeMcBro literally kept sticking his head into the shot. It was the most unprofessional things I've seen in a long time. This is after four hours of him bungling interviews and absolutely failing to pick up on Ben's very obvious and gentle hints on screen.

He didn't know anything about Castlevania. Had never played it. It's a 20 hour plane flight...do your homework. There isn't shit to prep with gear on a flight.

He tried to compare his alcohol allergy to gout at one point.

It was pathetic and compared to the first twitch stream, was a sad showing.

I don't know how or why they were picked.

No one could pay me to give them a second chance.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I disagree. He was obnoxious and self absorbed. It got so bad that Ben Judd LITERALLY said something to him on stream-- "it's not about you."

Is there a highlight or vod of this left over? I feel like this is the kind of train wreck I want to see.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    It wasn't really a train wreck, it was just irritating as shit. There was still plenty of goodness there, just that guy could get bent.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    You gotta figure a certain number of these pseudo-celebrity internet people are probably crazy narcissists. That's why they put themselves in front of a camera to begin with.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    You know, I bet part of the reason Bloodstained had such a successful campaign is because of how solid the Igavania formula is. Previous big name developers that hit Kickstarter (I think first of Tim Schafer and Molyneaux) referenced some of their earlier games, but none had made a career of making one type of game (almost) exclusively for fifteen years.

If Kojima turns to Kickstarter, he really wouldn't have this advantage. Creativity is great, but it's also risky. Playing it safe worked wonderfully for Iga.

Here's hoping for a speedy development!

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I didn't catch this Stream, but I've watched Video Games Awesome before and Frasier seemed alright in that setting.

I do seem to recall him being a bit concerned with camera positioning and making sure everything is on screen correctly on his own show (which, to be fair, has a bit more elaborate setup than most other Let's Play shows), so it's possible that's just one of his ticks or something, but since I didn't see how he acted here I don't know.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    It keeps going!

The kickstarter alone is about to hit 5.5 mil. Like I think at this point it shot up almost 1 million in a day?

You know what, it doesn't matter how long this takes to come. I basically see this as like SOTN but with enough extra love to become one of the best game experiences we have had in a long time.

It is just insane to see how much support this has received. I can't even conceive how Iga must feel.

If Iga was an American I'd have to imagine he'd have used some of that money to buy a bigass billboard outside of Konami HQ with a screenshot of the total amount of money he received plastered all over it.

Hm, now I'm somewhat disappointed that that wasn't a Stretch Goal.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    It keeps going!

The kickstarter alone is about to hit 5.5 mil. Like I think at this point it shot up almost 1 million in a day?

You know what, it doesn't matter how long this takes to come. I basically see this as like SOTN but with enough extra love to become one of the best game experiences we have had in a long time.

It is just insane to see how much support this has received. I can't even conceive how Iga must feel.

If Iga was an American I'd have to imagine he'd have used some of that money to buy a bigass billboard outside of Konami HQ with a screenshot of the total amount of money he received plastered all over it.

Hm, now I'm somewhat disappointed that that wasn't a Stretch Goal.

Stretch goal: some kind of elaborate "do you like apples, Konami?" scenario.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I honestly didn't think he was that bad, but I really wasn't paying much attention to him. TBH he was the person I cared about least on that stream :P

Edit: Also:
    7824b66be92ff63b435d9817bdcebb6f_original.jpg?v=1434167795&w=639&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=9b86f99d44a95b72cbb4679dda36bbac

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It wasn't really a train wreck, it was just irritating as shit. There was still plenty of goodness there, just that guy could get bent.

I found the VOD of it and good lord, he just has to have his face on camera at all times. Even when IGA was drawing his monster on the whiteboard, he had to make sure his fucking head was taking up a solid third of the camera space. There was more of his head on the camera than there was the monster being drawn.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

I found the VOD of it and good lord, he just has to have his face on camera at all times. Even when IGA was drawing his monster on the whiteboard, he had to make sure his fucking head was taking up a solid third of the camera space. There was more of his head on the camera than there was the monster being drawn.

Click towards the end and watch the absurdity of him doing it while Ben tells everyone that sad story of the dead friend. I've never seen such a narcissist in my life.

Anyway, I don't want to harp on it anymore than I have.

It was a great, great campaign. Couldn't be happier and while it's gonna be worth it, it'll be a tough two years waiting.

Luckily we all have a massive library of Iga games to keep us company. I'm gonna fire up Aria tomorrow I think.

• Options
    I'm still amazed friggin' "you get to play as a boss monster" mode was unlocked as a stretch goal.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm still amazed friggin' "you get to play as a boss monster" mode was unlocked as a stretch goal.

Wait...does that mean we get to play as the Iga boss too? I hadn't thought about that yet.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Last minute loss of self control... upped my pledge in order to get the artbook.

It's a good thing I don't drink or do drugs. I'd be a wreck.

No joke. I have to force myself to forget about kickstarter, else I'd be checking every week, finding 'cool' stuff and continually increasing my pledges. I did it last month with freaking tungsten cubes and dice. The month before with remote bluetooth controllers and so on.

I jumped in with Bloodstained at 300 at the start, mainly to keep myself from kicking in more later.

I looked at my accounts from the start, waited for $60 I don't particularly need, and made one pledge.

• Options

Wait...does that mean we get to play as the Iga boss too? I hadn't thought about that yet.

I'm not sure. I kind of assume it's only certain bosses since they have to code each one like its own character, but I dunno, maybe? That would be pretty epic.

• Options

Wait. THAT'S the "Boss Revenge" mode? That's sweet!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Zython wrote: »

Wait. THAT'S the "Boss Revenge" mode? That's sweet!
    You have been so overzealous in your pursuit of stretch goals that you're now poised to take revenge... on our dauntless heroes. At $5.5 million you have the opportunity to unlock Boss Revenge Mode:
    • Control several different bosses
    • Utilize their special attacks to wreak havok
    • Explore a new BOSS REVENGE area
    • Turn the tables and defeat “Hero” Bosses in your pursuit of humanity's destruction

They said in the update when it was unlocked that they'd provide more details later (once IGA was done arm wrestling :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    He didn't know anything about Castlevania. Had never played it. It's a 20 hour plane flight...do your homework. There isn't shit to prep with gear on a flight.

Wow, really? This sounds like the exact opposite of the quality we got with the Day 1 kickstarter stream with Kinda Funny Games. Colin Moriarty was a HUGE Castlevania fan. Of course, he comes from professional games press too, and regularly hosts guests on his show. Why would they choose these other guys to host the ending stream if they'd never played Castlevania?

• Options
    Well they brought bunny must die guy to the first stream, even after his sgdq appearance, who knows man

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Well they brought bunny must die guy to the first stream, even after his sgdq appearance, who knows man

What happened during his SGDQ appearance?

• Options
    nothing outrageous - it was just extremely awkward, same as the ks stream

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Wasn't Egoraptor also on the first stream, despite having previously talked about how he hates the Igavania Castlevanias and prefers the classic ones?

I assume whatever Youtube affiliates these people have set it up for them to get popular web personalities in the streams without regard for how they feel about Castlevania.

Lars on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Egoraptor hates any and every game, depending on what time of day it is. You can probably find plenty of audio of him praising em too. He loves the series in general. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Wasn't Egoraptor also on the first stream, despite having previously talked about how he hates the Igavania Castlevanias and prefers the classic ones?

I assume whatever Youtube affiliates these people have set it up for them to get popular web personalities in the streams without regard for how they feel about Castlevania.

Despite the noises Arin makes, he's been pretty positive in the SotN playthrough they've been doing recently.

This discussion has been closed.