As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The quest for the BEST Chocolate.

imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this.Registered User regular
My wife has the most gourmet pallete when it comes to chocoloates; rickert of paris and godiva have both failed to satisfy her.

Most erudite chocolatiers, where in the US can I obtain the best of the best, the creme de le creme for her? Money is no object.

Her particular favorites: dark, praline, ammereto, and hazlenut.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    This may sound dumb, but has she ever mentioned a chocolate that she likes?

Also dark is a kind of chocolate, whereas praline, amaretto and hazelnut are added flavors.

Avoid milk chocolate.

Try these folks, they do interesting things with chocolate

https://cowgirlchocolates.com

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I don't know too much about chocolates. To be honest I am quite satisfied with the chocolate kisses or maybe just a snickers.
    One day at work though someone brought a bag of Lindor chocolates to share and... Wow! Those little chocolate balls are amazing. Those things melt in your mouth and then you get to the creamy insides... awesome!
    I only tried the milk and white chocoflavors though. There's dark and super dark flavors too, but I can't comment on those... I don't like dark chocolate.
    http://www.lindtusa.com/
    I suppose you can find them at any supermarket? Not sure.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    For my quality chocolate, I go to Sarris Candies.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately I've never tried buying any online, but when I was in Belgium I tasted the best chocolate I've ever tasted. If I were in search of the best chocolate now, I would google Belgium chocolatiers and order samples until I found what I tasted then.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Unfortunately I've never tried buying any online, but when I was in Belgium I tasted the best chocolate I've ever tasted. If I were in search of the best chocolate now, I would google Belgium chocolatiers and order samples until I found what I tasted then.

Ah, you understand my challenge, she is an american born swiss girl whose mother has an apartment in belgium that they visit several times a year.

finding an american company to compare to what she finds there has been challenging

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »

Ah, you understand my challenge, she is an american born swiss girl whose mother has an apartment in belgium that they visit several times a year.

finding an american company to compare to what she finds there has been challenging

I'd be surprised if you could find an American company that made anything like that, but is there anything against ordering online from one of the 100+ year old chocolatiers in Belgium? (aside from Godiva)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Yeah, order online from suppliers of chocolate from her home country. I get a Swedish chocolate craving now and then, Marabou to be specific. Which even though it's been owned by a US company for 20 years is not sold here in stores (Why not? It's awesome!). Ikea used to carry it, but they've stopped. But I can order it online. Even on Amazon.com. It will cost like 4 times as much but once or twice a year it is worth it.

• Options
    imdointhis wrote: »

I'd be surprised if you could find an American company that made anything like that, but is there anything against ordering online from one of the 100+ year old chocolatiers in Belgium? (aside from Godiva)

No, there isn't! What a great idea!

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    You'd be hard pressed to find chocolate that can beat the Belgian stuff. That being said, the best American chocolate I've ever had, that can be obtained over the Internet, would be Recchiuti.

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    There is a little shop in Wichita Kansas, I think they might have a few locations though. It is called Cocoa Dolce.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of experience with chocolate but the lady that runs that location knows her stuff and the chocolates are fantastic.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    The best chocolate I've had was Bernachon

I think theres a way to order it by mail but you might need to know french to navigate their website. Alternatively you can buy it in Lyon, France where its made, or the one other store that sells it, A l'Etoile d'Or in Paris

Seriously, its good.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Cowboy-BebopCowboy-Bebop Registered User regular
    I had this chocolate called La Joya in Spain and it was unbelievable- I didn't know they made chocolate like this. Maybe it would be different from the standard Belgian fair and thus interesting? The package how the normal fluff on the back about tasting notes and stuff that I usually discount but I could actually pick up on the elements they were describing. You could actually taste raisins and tobacco and licorice. I highly recommend you try it.

http://www.caputosdeli.com/products/cacao-sampaka-la-joya-70-chocolate-bar.html

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Moonstruck chocolate in Portland OR is very good.

http://www.moonstruckchocolate.com/

Not cheap at around 50 bucks per 20, but since we are spending big.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    I don't know too much about chocolates. To be honest I am quite satisfied with the chocolate kisses or maybe just a snickers.
    One day at work though someone brought a bag of Lindor chocolates to share and... Wow! Those little chocolate balls are amazing. Those things melt in your mouth and then you get to the creamy insides... awesome!
    I only tried the milk and white chocoflavors though. There's dark and super dark flavors too, but I can't comment on those... I don't like dark chocolate.
    http://www.lindtusa.com/
    I suppose you can find them at any supermarket? Not sure.

I adore Lindt chocolate. I've found them in supermarkets and Hallmark stores

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Lindt is not going to cut it for a gourmet.

The best chocolate is probably going to be some small swanky single location gourmet hipster place. Take her there and let her pick and sample them. Fun romantic trip out!

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm a huge fan of http://www.nunuchocolates.com/

Their store being around the corner from me doesn't hurt. They're also great people.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Godiva chocolate's gross. It's really crumbly but doesn't have a nice snap to it when you break off a piece. The melt's too grainy. Lindt's a little better, but it's always seemed kinda greasy to me. (Yeah, I'm picky.)

My family is fond of Leonidas, which supplies Belgian chocolates. Equal Exchange makes good Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut bars as well. (Smooth melt without being greasy.)

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Rechiutti and Valrhona (can get in Trader Joes) are likely the best stuff that's widely available. Definitely try to find a GOOD specialty shop, as the difference between good chocolate and bad chocolate is monstrous.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Lindt is not going to cut it for a gourmet.

The best chocolate is probably going to be some small swanky single location gourmet hipster place. Take her there and let her pick and sample them. Fun romantic trip out!

Was just going to suggest this. Try to find a local chocolatiere. I've never seen one that doesn't give out free samples.

• Options
    ThunderSaidThunderSaid Registered User regular
    The owner of Olive and Sinclair was on Alton Brown's podcast a few weeks ago. I've never tried their chocolate, but he seemed passionate about his work, and Alton gives them the thumbs up.

http://www.oliveandsinclair.com/

• Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of Sirius which is an Icelandic chocolate. They have it in Whole Foods. I also like http://www.garrisonconfections.com/. I used to live a couple of blocks away from their storefront. That was dangerous.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    sigh i wish i could find a hip local shoppe, but alas I am in Cleveland.

We got Malleys. :/

• Options
    working my way down the list, i've placed three orders so far.

a 20 pack of truffles from nunu, a 20 pack from moonstruck, and i'm working my way through http://www.bernachon.com - i'm going to give them my corporate fedex acct # and have it shipped in.

after those come in, i'll report back, and then i'll place a new round of orders

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I haven't had them in about five or six years, so the quality may have diminished, but Vosges makes some dope truffles: http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I second the bernachon, but I'm married to wasser, so I might be biased! Hope to see follow up if she likes them. I have had a lot of fun looking through this thread as a fellow chocolate fan! I'm also weirdly happy to see someone who agrees with me on Godiva, sometimes I feel I'm the only one who doesn't like their products at all.

I just wanted to chime in: if you aren't planning on ordering from these places every couple months, for a decent 'grocery store' type chocolate that should be available just about everywhere, Ritter sport has some very tasty varieties. I personally like them better than Lindt, but their plain chocolate isn't really anything special. It is more their bars with stuff in them--hazelnut, coconut, and a bunch of others depending on the store. They have a staggering amount of options, so I feel like that can be fun. Amazing? Life changing? No, but tasty and fun, and easy to obtain :)

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • Options
    Not MandatoryNot Mandatory Registered User regular
    My favorite chocolate is from Theo - "the first organic and Fair Trade fair for Life Bean-to-Bar Chocolate Factory in North America." I've gone on their chocolate factory tour at least five times!

https://www.theochocolate.com/shop

Mmm.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    After you report back .. I might have to go order myself some special chocolate!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Whatever you get, also make sure it's Criollo, as those beans have much richer flavors.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've found Krause's chocolates (of NY) rather good. My boyfriend's parents actually ordered some for my birthday, which is how I know they deliver!

http://www.krauseschocolates.com/

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The best chocolates you're going to find in the states are going to be at local shops. Something small, mom & pop that's been around for a long time. I honestly would ask your friends and co-workers for information.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.