As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FYI: Homewood on Pike is accepting reservations for the Prime time frame

bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork ProductsPacific NW, USARegistered User regular
edited February 2014 in PAX West
Prices are the normal rate, of course, but last year I was able to get them to give me the PAX group rate.

I remember the on-peak problems many had with room switching, but apparently that's part of the contract. I'm not saying that one won't have the same issues, but it seems that a reservation made via the hilton site is less likely to have this happen.

As always, YMMV, IANAL, and so on.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
eIMwu3s.png
bacon_avenger on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You must be some sort of wizard, as I know many people that were not able to get their non-onpeak reservation made for the group rate.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    zerzhul wrote: »
    You must be some sort of wizard, as I know many people that were not able to get their non-onpeak reservation made for the group rate.

I must have been really lucky. When I called, it was during the on-peak melt down, and the woman I talked with was able to switch it. I don't know if it made a difference, but I had made mine via the hilton honors site, which does have the low rate guarantee thing (http://hiltonworldwide.hilton.com/en/ww/ourbestrates/guarantee.jhtml).

I'm willing to give out free hugs if it helps share my luck. :smile:

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Ah, yeah, that assumes identical rooms I think. Good thing to bring up in negotiations though.

• Options
    LindabearLindabear Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Most places have opened up for early reservations during the weekend of PAX. I've checked and they are not cheap! I checked Sheraton Seattle and it's going for 268/night if people want to pre-pay... Though I'd probably want to get my badges first.

PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Lindabear wrote: »
    Most places have opened up for early reservations during the weekend of PAX. I've checked and they are not cheap! I checked Sheraton Seattle and it's going for 268/night if people want to pre-pay... Though I'd probably want to get my badges first.
    The way I look at it, if I can absorb the extra cost of not getting the group rate (I'm fortunate that I can), being able to not have to worry about the reservation system crashing and not getting a room at all is worth the extra cost. And since the hotels know the demand is high around PAX time, it doesn't surprise me that the currently showing rates are highish.

Naturally, I'm still worried that I'll have to call shenanigans as there is always the chance, but from what I've found from others, the chance of the room I reserved being, ahem, 'reallocated', is less if reserved in advance.

Bonus points, if the matter hits the oscillating blade and I can't make it, there isn't a cancellation fee when done via the hhonors site as long as it's submitted within 24 hours of the reservation, and they haven't precharged my card, unlike other places I've looked at.

I foresee some early mornings in my future when the time for getting passes starts to approach. :persevere:

eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    I've got a reservation at the Sheraton for that weekend, as they've had their reservations open awhile (and if you're SPG elite, they will honour OnPeak prices for you "as a courtesy" - as they are doing in Boston next month @ the Westin), but I'm still torn on whether to axe it or not. On the one hand, it'd be nice to have a place to go when tired during the event. On the other hand, I've got a giant house not 20 minutes away :expressionless:

• Options
    It seems that Sheraton is booked for the entire weekend of Prime, perhaps OnPeak finally got around to blocking out that weekend for PAX or everyone booked it and I'm screwed ;_;. I actually stayed there last year because I kept checking OnPeak for reservations and finally got one in July.

I actually did just book an apartment about 4 minutes away from the WSCC--for the same rate as OnPeak was for Sheraton last year. I realized that we were always so hungry and we figured having a kitchen instead of trying to find a place to eat in the morning is probably a better option for us this year.

PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    Lindabear wrote: »
    It seems that Sheraton is booked for the entire weekend of Prime, perhaps OnPeak finally got around to blocking out that weekend for PAX or everyone booked it and I'm screwed ;_;. I actually stayed there last year because I kept checking OnPeak for reservations and finally got one in July.

I actually did just book an apartment about 4 minutes away from the WSCC--for the same rate as OnPeak was for Sheraton last year. I realized that we were always so hungry and we figured having a kitchen instead of trying to find a place to eat in the morning is probably a better option for us this year.

There's no way a Hotel as big as the Sheraton is fully booked by people for an event they may or may not get tickets to 6 months before its happening. OnPeak had to have booked it up.

• Options
    Yeah OnPeak has definitely reserved out their blocks by now. It's not people.

• Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I was able to book at the Monaco Seattle, which seems to be the cheapest option at the moment (since OnPeak reservations are probabaly away aways out). 3-4 Blocks away, but for a boutique hotel with some great amenities, the price isn't bad for the long weekend. I have tried to haggle prices with them, and the Hyatt, which is still accepting non-block reservations on their own personal site, but they aren't entertaining any price changes.

;;edit;;
    By cheapest option, I meant non-discount hotel near the event that isn't asking for full payment up front.

sacratoy on
    PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    Yeah OnPeak has definitely reserved out their blocks by now. It's not people.

And so the anticipation begins...

PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    If OnPeak is doing this now, which seems early to me, I have to wonder if the passes are going to go up earlier than last year as well...

eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    If OnPeak is doing this now, which seems early to me, I have to wonder if the passes are going to go up earlier than last year as well...
    It's not early. They likely have it done years in advance, just like scheduling the convention center for the show.

• Options
    It's not early. They likely have it done years in advance, just like scheduling the convention center for the show.
    Ah, ok then. I was going off last year when I was still able to make a reservation in April, and it sounded like the various places were now booked solid for the time frame.

Either way, good to know, thanks.

eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Ah, ok then. I was going off last year when I was still able to make a reservation in April, and it sounded like the various places were now booked solid for the time frame.

Either way, good to know, thanks.

This is a product of the hotel registration site meltdown last year. More people are deciding to pay more and make their own reservation now rather than take a chance with OnPeak again.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.