As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Never Mind, I'll Find Someone Like Youtube

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've heard so many horror stories concerning this con (and it's founder), that I usually just pass and wait for AWA.

DragonCon had seperated with the founder but he still had shares in the company. Apparently it was a difficult process but as of last year he no longer has those, meaning he now has zero ties to it in theory.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    As Gvzbgul said, Ed Kramer no longer has any ties to DragonCon. And I've been attending since 2004 and other than the immense crowds I've never had a bad experience.

And that article did say it was non-con goers causing the trouble.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/IacSW-rmxsc

Safety Dance meets Metal

Yes.

Yeessss.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

I wanna play with these guys. Way more entertaining than those obnoxious twits who usually make GTAV videos.

Also for some reason Sips is my favorite Yogscaster lately.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I found this video in a thread in G&T. Absolutely amazing moves pulled off in a Chinook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCukEYRY2ME#t=218

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I <3 chinook.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Chinook: the lovable, dependable fat kid of helicopters

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm in over my head with this weird ASMR listening binge I'm on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GdjFvbvWp4

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

pull back, Indie! pull back!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

pull back, Indie! pull back!

can't... too... relaxed...

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I don't think I could be relaxed around Batman, he makes me nervous

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah, you would be nervous around him.

Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Yeah, you would be nervous around him.

Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.

They plan and plot but always get caught.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I remembered that right.

My memory is shwarbage.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Another TF2 thread crosspost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIm1g47sbQM

488W936.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Another TF2 thread crosspost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIm1g47sbQM

I can do that but I don't wanna

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh my God, the extreme close ups on his lips killed me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god valve's facial rigs are amazing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Not...especially? I mean they are pretty standard. At least the TF2 stuff anyway.

They're well done, don't get me wrong, just.... it ain't nothing compared to feature film stuff.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »

Not...especially? I mean they are pretty standard. At least the TF2 stuff anyway.

They're well done, don't get me wrong, just.... it ain't nothing compared to feature film stuff.

what's the going rate for animation company facial expression software

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

The average salary for a Senior Technical Director/Rigger, the people behind creating rigging systems on models usually, on a feature film is roughly $120k-$150k a year.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    what's some impressive facial rigging you've seen, Veretas

• Options

The average salary for a Senior Technical Director/Rigger, the people behind creating rigging systems on models usually, on a feature film is roughly $120k-$150k a year.

you mean it's not automated?

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Look, the rigs on the TF2 characters are great. For the TF2 characters, which is exactly what they were made for. They aren't super high-res or complicated or need anything fancy like cloth or hair or any of that stuff. They are pretty much exactly what I see on any game character rig.

Hahaha noooooooooooope. Well sorta.

See, there is an intermediate process between when the character model is created and when it is actually animated. This is called 'rigging'. A rig is basically a skeleton that is created inside the model and then the vertices on that model are all 'weighted' to a specific bone on that skeleton. This process can be somewhat automated, creating the joints and bones to fit in the model for example, and programs are getting better at setting reasonable values on all those vertices.

But a computer is pretty dumb and can end up having stuff like the shoulder vertices being influenced by the knee bone or something, so a rigger or an animator will go in and 'paint' the weighting on the model by hand. It's a tedious process that simply just takes time, but a necessary one.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Look, the rigs on the TF2 characters are great. For the TF2 characters, which is exactly what they were made for. They aren't super high-res or complicated or need anything fancy like cloth or hair or any of that stuff. They are pretty much exactly what I see on any game character rig.

Hahaha noooooooooooope. Well sorta.

See, there is an intermediate process between when the character model is created and when it is actually animated. This is called 'rigging'. A rig is basically a skeleton that is created inside the model and then the vertices on that model are all 'weighted' to a specific bone on that skeleton. This process can be somewhat automated, creating the joints and bones to fit in the model for example, and programs are getting better at setting reasonable values on all those vertices.

But a computer is pretty dumb and can end up having stuff like the shoulder vertices being influenced by the knee bone or something, so a rigger or an animator will go in and 'paint' the weighting on the model by hand. It's a tedious process that simply just takes time, but a necessary one.

I'm not experienced in source filmmaker, but given the prolific amount of amateur animators that are putting out decent video game level work (I think), and they aren't all getting paid $$$bux, doesn't that speak to the notion that the source engine rigging software is more powerful than it has a right to be?

• Options
    Yeah, compared to feature film rigs they are not very complicated. But that's also why they are so impressive. You can do animation like that flute video with a rig designed for video game models, meant to be animated in real time with tight optimization, bone and polycount limits.

Models for CGI and such don't have to be rendered in real time so you can just have thousands of bones and morphs and super-high polycount face meshes and so on and just render your scene frame-by-frame. The fact that the TF2 characters (and most of valve's source engine character models) have facial rigs and meshes which allow near-feature film quality animation, while still keeping the complexity low enough for those models to animate in real time in a game engine is what is amazing about them. And while a lot of games these days are at that level of quality, valve made these models in 2007, in an engine they released in 2004.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, compared to feature film rigs they are not very complicated. But that's also why they are so impressive. You can do animation like that flute video with a rig designed for video game models, meant to be animated in real time with tight optimization, bone and polycount limits.

Models for CGI and such don't have to be rendered in real time so you can just have thousands of bones and morphs and super-high polycount face meshes and so on and just render your scene frame-by-frame. The fact that the TF2 characters (and most of valve's source engine character models) have facial rigs and meshes which allow near-feature film quality animation, while still keeping the complexity low enough for those models to animate in real time in a game engine is what is amazing about them. And while a lot of games these days are at that level of quality, valve made these models in 2007, in an engine they released in 2004.

Oh yeah, this part is awesome. And absolutely correct. Though I feel like that's more attribute to Source Filmmaker itself than just the rigs. It's basically the game version of the software Pixar uses for their films.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options

Oh yeah, this part is awesome. And absolutely correct. Though I feel like that's more attribute to Source Filmmaker itself than just the rigs. It's basically the game version of the software Pixar uses for their films.

Yeah, SFM is pretty cool, and the animator is pretty good too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I was expecting them to add in some explosions...

This discussion has been closed.