As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gabe Art Inkings

thehazethehaze Registered User new member
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
I've started inking some of the drawings that are unfinished on gabe art or from the comic.

raphcopy.jpg

pennyinkcopy.jpg

Thoughts?

thehaze on

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh, sorry for the dp but I just wanted to say I know the line work is really crappy on the comic but I had trouble since the image was so small. I just got a tablet two weeks ago so I'm learning.

thehaze on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Line thickness.

Control.

Talent.

Work on all of the above.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    thehaze wrote: »
    Oh, sorry for the dp but I just wanted to say I know the line work is really crappy on the comic but I had trouble since the image was so small. I just got a tablet two weeks ago so I'm learning.

There's a really easy way to make your low-res pencils problem go away: Blow up the image by about 1000%. If you're not going to need the underlying pencils to show through after a digital ink job, there's no reason they still have to look good when you're working on it. Your black lines will be nice and smooth and you won't have to find a higher res file. This wouldn't work as well on something with a lot of detail, but Gabe's sketches are pretty much totally his own freehand, so why not?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He's got some magical nose or something.

Uh what was the point of this again?

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    :v:

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2007

Fuck you!

bombardier on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bombardier wrote: »

Fuck you!

:winky:

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is bad and you should feel bad.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sorry to add to all the negative.. comments. but when I saw the comic, I literally said out loud "oh no..." and I usually don't say things out loud on the computer.

You need line width, for sure. Don't take any of the comments posted here as a discouragement, but as motivation to learn and do new things to make it better.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    gabe looks like a healthy bouncing baby boy, and therefore renders the comic pointless.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Why is Scott Kurtz melting?

core tactic on
  • Options
    SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is fun. Here's my take on Kratos sketch.

KratosGabeColor.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i don't get the point of this thread..

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    XaviXavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Its been said, but ignoring all the asshole comments ---> Work on your line weights first, thats what makes a lot of Gabe's art so attractive, and make sure you don't leave gaps between lines either

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Too bad Gabe doesn't read the art forum. I bet he'd fall on the ground laughing.

core tactic on
  • Options
    KarasumaKarasuma Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    Gotta love those negative comments...look, I'm having alot of the same issues with inking. By hand, my drawings are smooth and crisp, but I have a hard time keeping things steady and getting the right thickness. Also, my brush seems to like fuzzy edges more then anything. HOWEVER, I've found some solutions...

1. That dude above me is right, using a HUGE picture to ink with and then shrinking it down helps take away small inperfections. Keep in mind a picture can be big but manageable with the zoom out button.

2. Wobbles were a big problem, and putting paper over top of the tablet only made my wrist shiver because of the feeling. Wacom sells little felt nibs for about 5 bucks, but you'll pay twice that in shipping. I found a small elastic and a folded napkin or tissue does wonders, adding just the right amount of resistances to prevent that plastic on plastic slip.

3. Keep at it. There are nights were I just want to throw my extremely expensive tablet out the window into the night, but I HAVE gotten better and I AM learning every time I sit down with it. You'll suck now, but in two weeks you'll be better. Two weeks more, and you'll look back at the stuff you did just a couple days ago and scoff. It takes time to get use to it, so keep at it!

Good luck!

Karasuma on
    <3nobody loves you, everybody hates you<3
  • Options
    M-GremoM-Gremo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm assuming you would need his permission for something like this - either way...this...erm...

M-Gremo on
  • Options
    XaviXavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    M-Gremo wrote: »
    I'm assuming you would need his permission for something like this - either way...this...erm...

Errr, not unless he makes money out of it, sport. He seems to be doing it for his own edification

Type "what is copyright?" in google and then you'll be better informed ;)

Xavi on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    M-Gremo wrote: »

When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me. As Xavi said, if you receive monetary compensation you need to ask permision.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread except for.... what do you hope to accomplish by painting Gabe's line art, Haze? It's not like it's a very challenging task to tackle.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    what do you hope to accomplish by painting Gabe's line art, Haze? It's not like it's a very challenging task to tackle.

Well, from what we've seen, it has proven to be somewhat challenging enough?

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    M-GremoM-Gremo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My mistake - I apologize for...assuming wrong. That sounds terrible but I actually am sorry for not looking into it before I bothered leaving a post on the subject.

Anyway - to add something more constructive.

The first peice isn't really that bad. I do, however, think that the background is killing it. I would much rather see just a flat color-white may even look better.

The second one however is pretty brutal, as many have said. The line sensitivity is such a problem that you are actually changing the expressions of the characters. On top of that, Gabe is missing a line in the third panel. It would seem that his right arm is actually morphing out of his chest.

As MT already mentioned, your goal isn't exactly evident. If you are looking to progress in any way this probably isnt the route to take.

Sorry that my first comment was more so an attack on the concept not to mention misinformed. Good luck in your future work.

M-Gremo on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I dig this thread. If they want line art that isn't thier own to practice on, more power to them. Just keep in mind that no one is prepared to pat anyone on the back unless we see something that *really* wows us.

So with that said, keep it up. Vary up that line thickness, play with some of the wieght in a way you are uncomfortable with. You'd be surprised what you might end up doing.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I guess I should explain my objective.

I don't and have never thought that I have any talent when it comes to fine arts like drawing, painting... I bought a tablet because I'm a film major and it's great for rotoscoping. I was just wondering if anyone else messed with his drawings.

My art is storytelling. Thanks for those who were encouraging and for those who reacted harshly, I completely agree.

thehaze on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    rotoscoping = line drawings. So it's good that you are doing that.

Munacra on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know who has near-prefect linework?

Dave McSweeny.

He's so rediculously good at lines and details that it hurts. Doesn't even shade the pictures; they stand alone purely on the lines and your mind fills in all the details. I'd kill for lines like those.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Bang Bang Miss AmericaBang Bang Miss America Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I am going to cry.

Bang Bang Miss America on
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwyxz
  • Options
    ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ugh.. some of you guys are dicks. :x

And you:

286171126200zu.gif

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    red_wyrnred_wyrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    @Godfather: Could you post a link to some of his work? I've tried google, but I keep getting some guy running for congress...

red_wyrn on
    Somewhere out there is a person just like me.... and i bet that he's boring as hell too.

no drugs were used in the making of this art
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, I'm always for harassing new people, but this is all really unnecessary.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    sketchartist04sketchartist04 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    red_wyrn wrote: »
    @Godfather: Could you post a link to some of his work? I've tried google, but I keep getting some guy running for congress...

I second that notion.

sketchartist04 on
    Hey, look! It's Public Broadcasting, we're going to learn something!