As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Is an awesome game. You should play it.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Dark Channel does activate it, which irritates me to no end because I play the Huntress a lot.

Luckily she's really good at making all other Collector units melt.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    So, Venom Shotgun. All I really want in a new weapon is the Paladin, and what do I get ? Particle Rifle and Venom Shotgun. The Venom Shotgun is supposed to have two barrels and a micro-grenade launcher, but all that I seem to be doing is firing the grenades. Is there a trick to using the Venom Shotgun like, you know, a shotgun ?

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Not really. I find the Venom to be most effective when used like an upgraded Falcon. Keep it charged and fire the target's feet most of the time. The secondary explosions will stagger mooks long enough to recharge; makes it very easy to lock down an entire spawn this way. And unlike the Scorpion you don't need direct hits to apply ammo powers, so Incendiary/Disruptor/Cryo are all good fits. Phasic rounds also work nicely; makes it similar to an upgraded Acolyte. I really like the Venom + Omniblade and Phasic rounds on the Krogan Sentinel.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Thanks. I actually prefer the Falcon because I've learned how to bounce the grenades around corners and over cover, whereas the Scorpion/Venom grenades are sticky. They also shoot a bit to the right, so it's very difficult to hit a moving mook.

• Options
    The Venom grenades are not sticky when the gun is fully charged. It's a lot of fun banking the cluster around corners.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Tried the Alliance Infiltration Unit I unlocked earlier.

Very interesting feeling playing Mass Effect with a melee focus. I'm sure there are other uses for her (shotgun comes to mind) but thats what I tried.

Heavy melee is pretty satisfying. Going to have to do vanguard next time I replay the trilogy.

YES. AIU is all about dat SHORYUKEN

the best single-target heavy melee in the entire game :D

Clearly you haven't used the biotic hammer.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Very interesting feeling playing Mass Effect with a melee focus. I'm sure there are other uses for her (shotgun comes to mind) but thats what I tried.

Heavy melee is pretty satisfying. Going to have to do vanguard next time I replay the trilogy.

Clearly you haven't seen the carnage Curly inflicts upon enemies with the AIU :P

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Clearly you haven't seen the carnage Curly inflicts upon enemies with the AIU :P

You'll wish you had a capture card for some of the more spectacular "to the moon!" punches.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be angry, shall possess the power of Clan Urdnot."

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be angry, shall possess the power of Clan Urdnot."

hammer krogan is best krogan.

• Options
    I've never played Homeworld 2 but this looks pretty awesome.

Mod Makes Mass Effect's Climactic Space Battle Playable In Homeworld

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Was Zaeed's face (well, atleast half of it anyway) modeled after his voice actor?

I always thought he looked pretty damn amazing for a Mass Effect character. Like, extremely well done compared to most human npcs in the game(s).

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Speaking of Zaeed...

Some cut content of him in ME3 turned into a mod. Basically a whole conversation, including what happens to Vido if you pick the paragon option in ME2. No fucking clue why it was cut as it's pretty good.

In case you don't want to install it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68uJMlJ1Tk

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Speaking of Zaeed...

Some cut content of him in ME3 turned into a mod. Basically a whole conversation, including what happens to Vido if you pick the paragon option in ME2. No fucking clue why it was cut as it's pretty good.

In case you don't want to install it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68uJMlJ1Tk

This takes me back

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Damn, I'd been wondering what the deal with Vido was ever since ME3 came out. It must be one of those script bugs they never bothered to fix.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    I've never played Homeworld 2 but this looks pretty awesome.

Mod Makes Mass Effect's Climactic Space Battle Playable In Homeworld

Holy shit. Do want. I'll have to find where I buried my HW2 disks.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @Orca‌

Just going to go ahead and throw out there the fact that the stupid link in your signature just blew the last three hours of my evening.

So much good Mass Effect art. Alas, if only I wasn't an engineer and had actual creative talent.

Edit: Annnnd then I got to the comic about Kaiden, Shepard, and a certain Biotic appendage giving rectal cancer. Yup. I'm out.

Priest on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Priest wrote: »
    Orca‌

Just going to go ahead and throw out there the fact that the stupid link in your signature just blew the last three hours of my evening.

So much good Mass Effect art. Alas, if only I wasn't an engineer and had actual creative talent.

Edit: Annnnd then I got to the comic about Kaiden, Shepard, and a certain Biotic appendage giving rectal cancer. Yup. I'm out.

If you laughed

and then were horrified

my job is done

Orca on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    you could have a hardy debate about this ending, better or worse than the original
    and then shepards body crashes to earth and is left paralyzed with no memories of the trilogy and liara spends the next 900 years keeping you alive and pushing your wheelchair around with a morose expression, because anime

..... yeah back to my femshep run through

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    claymore was always my favorite AIU weapon; it's effective at pretty good distance with the smart choke on there and does pretty crazy damage with all the AIU's bonuses piled up

I get the argument for the reegar, I've just never really liked that gun. Other shotguns are so much more tactile, and I never felt like I had a good handle on its range

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It has roughly the same range as Snap Freeze.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You also get the cloak bonus on the entire Reegar clip.

• Options
    Just pretend its range is melee range and you won't go wrong.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

have used it

stand by my assessment

have to play AIU

have to melee

must see for yourself

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    What's the ideal skill setup and playstyle for the AIU? I assume punch things, so go for melee damage and snap freezing everything?

• Options
    You can also just shoot things. She gets crazy bonuses when shooting out of cloak.

• Options
    What's the ideal skill setup and playstyle for the AIU? I assume punch things, so go for melee damage and snap freezing everything?

The ideal (read game-breakingly overpowered, which is why people use melee instead) is max out Cloak for damage, Snap Freeze (can't go wrong with any; I use range, extra damage, and tech combos), Repair Matrix (I use survivability, duration, and enhanced repair matrix), and Fitness for survival (with Martial Artist thrown in).

Pair with a Shock Trooper upgrade, a Reegar X, and you can solo Unobtanium, nevermind Platinum. Sacrifice some survivability in exchange for awareness (and hence DPS) by going with a Geth Scanner.

Alternately, go much the same, but instead of survivability on Fitness, go melee damage and punch all the people, everywhere. Consider the Juggernaut Shield as well.

The latter build is more sporting and actually gives your enemies a chance.

A small one.

• Options
    Snap Freeze, Snap Freeze, and Snap Freeze some more. I always use that Omni-Capacitor upgrade that improves your Tech damage AND power recycle time. I'll give her a Pistol for those rare moments when I need to engage mooks at long range, other than that she's just a running, jumping, invisible blizzard.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Finally settled on my ME2 party for this run, going with Zaeed and Grunt. Always nice to have krogans, they're a must for me. Being damn near impossible to kill is a nice bonus.

Any interesting interactions between Mordin and Grunt when you have them together?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

pretty much

you won't kill as fast as reegarsplashing spawns

but every kill will be personal and satisfying

and more importantly

FLASHY AS FUCK.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Don't fuck with Space Barbie, those legs are for slicing off heads.

She will judo chop the fuck out of you.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    basically just take every evolution of cloak, snap freeze and the class skill that increases weapon damage. Then go cloak > freeze > shoot > repeat.

the claymore with an ammo mod can almost one shot gold brutes, it's great

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    After days of feverishly shooting things in the face, I can safely say now that multiplayer has won me over.

Gotta have them spectre packs.

• Options
    Broseph Shepard has made it to ME2

His bleached blonde hair looks just as douchy as I'd always imagined it would.

My only regret is I can't give him frosted tips.

• Options
    Also jesus I'd forgotten how assholeish virtually every renegade option comes across with maleshep in ME1.

And often times not even assholeish, just petulant.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    To be fair so do the paragon.
    Which I find hilarious.

BOW BEFORE MY MORAL SUPERIORITY PUNY MORTAL!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I was pretty disappointed with renegade in Mass Effect 1.

All the really violent stuff is hidden in the white choices which is a bummer if you were looking forward to murder pistoling your way through it.

They get better about it in 2 and 3 though. Renegade Shepherd takes his/her dirty cop routine to the next level.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    gfi0.jpg

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I was pretty disappointed with renegade in Mass Effect 1.

All the really violent stuff is hidden in the white choices which is a bummer if you were looking forward to murder pistoling your way through it.

They get better about it in 2 and 3 though. Renegade Shepherd takes his/her dirty cop routine to the next level.

Reminds me a little of Thane's loyalty mission.
    Shep: How about we played bad cop *points to Krios* and good cop *points to self*?
    Thane: Sounds promising.

*Interrogation - Renegade Interrupt*

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    what are you doing with that carnifex garrus? you can't use that.