As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen / Squadron 42 | Early Planetside Footage Released

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Games and Technology
Penny Arcade Fleet Spreadsheet (Top Secret)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t1Zc2oxijVY
(Be sure to watch the full length trailer)

starcitizenlogo.jpg

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts' new game. Chris Roberts is the guy behind Wing Commander and Starlancer. He left years before Freelancer came out so don't blame that shit on him. It's totally self-published and it's doing the whole crowdfunding thing, but he's skipping Kickstarter. He'll just ask for money straight up from people. He also has normal investors.

The game is running on a modified version of the CryEngine. It looks fucking awesome. This is a one hour presentation he gave at GDC where Chris Roberts talks about the game, shows off gameplay, and makes your panties wet with desire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhRQPhL1YU

Star Citizen is a space sim. You'll fly around in spaceships shooting space laser at space aliens in space. There's a persistent multiplayer universe that generates instanced battles for 60-100 players, and there's also an offline mode if you want to play single player or coop. If you want to play in the persistent universe though, you can be an explorer or maybe a trader and stuff like that. You can buy a big ship with turrets and friends can man the turrets. For example:
The persistent universe, Roberts tells me, will feature instanced combat scenarios with 60 to 100 players. It will also have a fully simulated economy, and regular updates to add content and permanently change the spacescape. Additionally, players will influence the universe with a ship and item marketplace similar to that in Team Fortress 2, as well as with in-game actions.
The single player campaign is called "Squadron 42" and it will basically be like Wing Commander, except with coop.

The universe is inspired by Ancient Rome and the single player campaign is inspired by the fall of Ancient Rome. The game is called Star Citizen because "citizenship" is going to be an important characteristic: you can choose to be a citizen of the empire if you want, or you can be a pirate or whatever. One way to earn citizenship is to join the military; another is to buy it.

The game will be open to modding, and it will let you run your own private servers (like Freelancer, actually). He wants to keep constantly updating the game, though (he sees it as closer to a TV series, with a constant series of updates, rather than a movie). And sometimes they won't tell players when they add new content, like a new star system, which means that a player can be flying around, scout the new star system, and then sell the information in their nav system to one of the big corporations. Then the star system is named after you. KICKASS.

sc_4.jpg

More Information

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Gunship talk from last thread:

How dare you guys link things instead of the correct thing:
    XWA-Xg1-3d-new.jpg

now there's your gunboat

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Disagree. Gunstar is superior.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Thread title should be "Spaceships! Spaceships! SPACESHIPS!!!"

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    New Thread, New 10ftChairman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pxlhEUFUPw

Interesting details on mixing up architecture designs to make the planetside areas feel more "lived in" and less singularly designed.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Gunship talk from last thread:

How dare you guys link things instead of the correct thing:
    XWA-Xg1-3d-new.jpg

now there's your gunboat

Every single time I was put in one of those I was excited until I flew it for a bit and remembered that it was slow, had shit for shields and handled like a pregnant whale.

But I'd still be excited. Every. Single. Time.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Heresy, that ship was awesome. Enough firepower and durability to trash light capital ships and good enough in a dogfight to take on everything up to advanced superiority fighters. Even then, you could still win as long as you had advanced missiles.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Death is such a primitive concept. I prefer to think of them as buying ships for the shame fleet.....IN ANOTHER DIMENSION!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

We space heretics in this outfit, son.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Monthly Report: February. This picture is dope:

Hornet_F7C_Battle_Damage_05.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Love that pic^

Just resigned from one of my jobs. Will have more time for the contest now...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

We space heretics in this outfit, son.

Ha! Good luck catching us while we spin and fire wildly in all directions!

And in regards to the new Ten From The Chairman, good to know they're doing an overhaul on the Constellation. I'm totally happy with the exterior, but it definitely always struck me as odd that the cockpit and common area are up front, but the beds are in the back as part of the cargo bay and the bathroom is waaay in the back of the ship. Would make way more sense for that all to be up in the front area, so you don't have to go through whatever is in the cargo bay just to take a space whizz.

Hope they throw in some personal quarters as well, beyond an oversized coffin with fold-out sides. Take some of that wasted space in the current setup, then convert the bunks into some small quarters; they only need to big enough to fit somebody beside them with some overhead cabinets or something.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Oh! Well... I hope you didn't need that job too much...

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Oh! Well... I hope you didn't need that job too much...

Well, I didn't enjoy it. Does that count?

• Options
    wreckzorswreckzors Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that is SUPER annoyed that they cannot see their fish tank in their hanger? I even shelled out cash to get all the fish.. but I cannot see them :( I think it is a known issue... but there have been a couple patches since I first noticed it missing and it is still missing :disappointed:

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Seems that must be an isolated problem, because mine has been fine. I love watching my fish.

• Options
    Two hints about my secret weapon: It's stored in an aircraft hanger and draws more than 10 kilowatts of power.

Editing my second contest submission video now...

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Updated PAI OOB:

n6rIqQe.png

The_Infidel on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That's a lot of shame.

We should be proud.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    So there are 92 of us and 240 ships in our collective shame fleet. Mein Gott...

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    So there are 92 of us and 240 ships in our collective shame fleet. Mein Gott...

...are you counting the Merlins that go inside the Constellations?

Because then it would be more like 262 ships...

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I wish I had a Caterpillar.

488W936.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I wish I had a Caterpillar every ship I don't have still.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowmantShadowmant Registered User regular
    wreckzors wrote: »
    Am I the only one that is SUPER annoyed that they cannot see their fish tank in their hanger? I even shelled out cash to get all the fish.. but I cannot see them :( I think it is a known issue... but there have been a couple patches since I first noticed it missing and it is still missing :disappointed:

Did you check just outside the airlock?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I just got permission from Sandi to show my next contest video to my friends Andrew Probert, Steven Browning and Scott Herbertson in advance. These guys are industry Titans, and after the last episode, their help may be my final lifeline to stay competitive.

[edit] ...I've been remembering this time when Steven and I needed an explosion to blow up a starship, so we tacked a blue sheet to the ceiling, and Steven had me lay on the floor with the camera while he sprayed flaming hairspray at my face... ah the good old days... :D

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    Talk about a secret weapon! You can also share your concept art with me, cus I'm a classy guy with excellent taste.

• Options
    ShadowmantShadowmant Registered User regular
    [edit] ...I've been remembering this time when Steven and I needed an explosion to blow up a starship, so we tacked a blue sheet to the ceiling, and Steven had me lay on the floor with the camera while he sprayed flaming hairspray at my face... ah the good old days... :D

Oh you crazy kids!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Andrew Probert really doesn't like the asymmetry, and he also has issues with stuck on looking bits. I need to further smooth and integrate components.

I'll be showcasing 3 different versions of the design next round, including a symmetrical one, so if the judges concur with Andrew, I'll be dropping the "sword" and picking up two "shields."
    Talk about a secret weapon! You can also share your concept art with me, cus I'm a classy guy with excellent taste.

Sorry. Sandi only gave me permission for those 3. Just gotta wait 2 weeks...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13624-RSVP-For-The-PAX-East-Event

If you're going to East or in the greater Boston Area, you should be all over RSVPing for the party. 1500 spots available, backers only, so I don't know how quick it will fill up but I suspect they figure they'll need that many.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    https://rorbertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13624-RSVP-For-The-PAX-East-Event

If you're going to East or in the greater Boston Area, you should be all over RSVPing for the party. 1500 spots available, backers only, so I don't know how quick it will fill up but I suspect they figure they'll need that many.

@Steel Fire
    Man, I wish I could go to PAX east and meet Chris Rorberts.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    https://rorbertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13624-RSVP-For-The-PAX-East-Event

Right now, it appears to have gone "subscribers only". My backing friend can't RSVP. :(

(edit: They'll release backer tickets at 5 EST and 10 EST. I CAN READZ GOOD)

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Pre-PAX board game night at the Westin or this? Choices...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Pre-PAX board game night at the Westin or this? Choices...

You can play board games anytime (especially during PAX). When's the next time you're going to have a chance to party with 1000+ other Star Citizens along with the crew that's actually making the game?

There is only one choice my son....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1E3l8pewzY

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Website is down?

• Options
    Website is down?
    Nope, Steel Fire just linked to the lesser known rorbertsspaceindustries site.

• Options
    Yeah, I can't load that page. "This webpage is not available."

• Options
    I have no idea where that extra R came from since it was a copy/paste. Fixed now.

I blame the phone.

• Options
    Yeah, in hindsight, Carbon's explanation is obvious, but when I first saw it I was like 'idgi'.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Yeah, in hindsight, Carbon's explanation is obvious, but when I first saw it I was like 'idgi'.
    this gave me a good laugh

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I need to have me some fun and do some travelling one of these days and go to one of these conventions