As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neotoma Presents: The Last Gloss Standing

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    So have we filled any legwork clocks yet?

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. Also should I include [intel] on my stat line or can I just have that in my notes that I should start taking

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Just keep it in your notes. No, legwork clocks fill when you fail moves.

• Options

Zel surfs through the Wild, data streaming by him, heaps of it, skyscrapers of it, mounds and oceans of it, he speeds through, his search plucking out particular streams, scanning those streams and either saving them for further perusal or dumping them back into the vastness.

Lucius waits for a reply, perhaps thinking over the job that went bad and why. MegaLixer's goods are valuable. Some one had jumped it either to get the goods or to ensure the deal went bad.

Rock also waits, fingers itching to get back behind the wheel. Sitting around was boring. He needed to do something soon.

Lucius picks up on a call through the mushmouf. He gets a slightly-pixelated visual of a tan woman with a shock of red hair sticking up. She sneers.

"Hey Prickle-face, you rang?"

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Rock Hart : The Driver (+owned) [][][][][][] Style: +0 | Edge: -1 | Cool: +2 | Mind: +1 | Meat: +0 | Synth: +1 Remote Control Module(+encrypted, +multi-tasking)

Heavy pistol (3-harm close/near loud)
    Synth leathers (0-armour, +discreet, subtract 1 when rolling the harm move)
    -
    Trojan (Cyber-linked Vectored-Thrust APC) (+fast, +easily repaired, +nondescript, -cramped, -guzzler) Weapons: Machine guns (3-harm, near/far, area, loud, messy, autofire), autocannon (4-harm, near/far, area, messy, breach)
    -
    Sauron (rotor) (+small, +fragile, +stealthy, sonar)
    Creepy Dogg (octoped) (+fast, +stealthy, +jamming, +medical, +fragile) Weapon: Needle gun (Magnetic Rifle)

Creepy Dogg, sensing Rock's jitters via a little used subroutine in the remote module, detaches from the APC and pads over to beside him. By the time Rock notices, he's been scratching lightly at Dogg's head for at least a minute and is noticeably calmer. The 8-legged robot reacts to the attention appropriately.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Okay m lets just skip the dialogue and just get to it
    note to self never split the party 7 ways
    ~ Eskagillium, the Shimmering Mountian ~
    Tacitus meets with Alondra after The Cerulean Phoenix Priest, she deputizes him and ask his help in a Quest defending the people of this city tonight.

Baro learns from Arcane Bandit...damn what did i name her, that Quentin has been making the Church of Eureka way more douchey. Being shitty to female scholars (He strongly suggested all the women work the front office), converting it to the religion of wizards, losing sight of the ideals that Truth, Knowledge, and Light should belong to everyone. Also his sudden adoption of this religion feels like part of a larger plot.

Lockrin meets the handsome bandit on the hallowed ground of The Blessed Stout. Also at the meeting is the giant man potbellied with the glittery beard, and the The Lady of the Blessed Stout. The giant man reveals himself to be the Spirit of the Mountain.

Zakuya
    learns the reason the cats are pissed someone kidnapped spirit kittens from the King of Beast's domain. As well as bringing iron weapons from this world to that one. Now that enough wizard hearts have been collected, (Side note: Besting someone in battle and eating their heart is the quickest way these spirits gain power), The King of Beasts will be sending his armies to raze this town tonight.
    The the cat with Zakuya becomes the Cat Who Hunts. While the cat is with Zakuya, he can Roll+Cha to Discern Realities about spirits/spirit stuff.

Atomos learns that Quentin has been changing the religion of Eureka in troubling way. The Cordial Conductor is concerned.

Ash hunts turns in her bounties, and helps break up some wizard duels. Alondra recruits her if she's interested to sneak into Quentin's place and find out what he's up to.

Aziz gets the same information Zakuya does. He also finds out he and Boopsie can choose to enter that Berserker rage at will, but it's draining and all attacks gain the messy, and horrifying tags while in that state.

Steal the Light/ Oculus Grift
    Mission: Get into the inner depths of Quentin's lab,
    Baro
    Atomos
    Ash

Welcome to the Jungle
    Mission: Protect the city from the spirit cats
    Zakuya
    Aziz
    Lockrin
    Tacitus

• Options
    Everyone cool with that? Anyone want a small scene, or switch teams? Because this is the general outcome, and unless you have a thing you wanna dig deeper on we can just dive straight into these missions. I'll do a little recap before they start since it's been freaking months.

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Works for me.

Zakuya Halash | L2 | Elf Fighter - Duelist | HP 22/22 | XP 01 | DMG D10 | AR 2

:whistle:

Time passes in a blur. Through alleyways and across rooftops the pair stalk and pounce, a meandering menace to the unwary. Taking point, the Cat Who Hunts draws Zakuya into wildness. Watching their backs, Zakuya pulls the tiger back from bloodshed.

A lone pedestrian in the street is tackled to the ground, hot breath on the back of their neck, but before teeth can pierce and claws can rend, a whistle draws their attacker padding back into the shadows. A mugger sizing up a victim from an alleyway is shoved into the brickwork after something silently drops from above, snarling quietly into their ear before clambering up the wall to join a waiting, approving shadow. In a dozen places, in a dozen ways, someone is harmlessly but harshly reminded that the wayward, lonely, and unaware are easily hunted, easily taken in moments of weakness and inattention. That the meager comfort of walls and gates protect them little from a beast that understands the city, or a city-dweller that understands the beast.

Partaking in the hunt, with a spirit as his guide, Zakuya slowly begins to see. The smoldering anger for stolen offspring, the rage of a primordial king for their abused subjects, the heart's blood of wizards serving as the sacrament of vengeance, the city falling to the prowling hordes. Culminating in the same hunt he and his companion have embarked on, but performed in violent, deadly earnest upon the citizenry.

Shaking the spectral visions from his sight, Zakuya decides he should probably let the others know about this. Seems important.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I would like to knock out an interlude real quick when I get home with Baro

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    We need to get on the boat. Or off it.

"Prickly-man, if we gonna talk, let's do it in meat-space. The Wild is Hot these days." Scorch designates a Jazztronica Lounge in the Middle Districts, a place you both have previously met before. What's it called again?

Zel, you finish up your search, copying the address of the doctor and locating it in a virtual map of the city. It's in the Pits, a section known for a variety of illicit-service-rendering 'businesses' out of the Bottoms. The services are cheap in every sense of the word.

Lucius could meet his contact while Rock and Zel do some recon at the Doctor's office. Unless you have other ideas?

• Options
    Also, feel free to include [intel] and [gear] in your stat box. Makes it easy to remember.

• Options
    Considering that we're tracking down a hacker can I ask what Zel would know about the...climate (?) of the Wild lately? Like, is there anything shaking things up lately or any big news that Zel and everyone else would just know about or would I have to roll to Hit the Streets?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Baro Stonekey | L2 | Saurian Thief - Street Rat | HP 21/21 | XP 05 | DMG D8 | AR 1 | GOLD 50

Baro greets Ash at the Thirsty Mole, neatly situated near the talented bard, Atomos playing a lute

"So my sources in the city, tell of a guard captain building a team to investigate a "Mr X."
    Hell, I've even heard some clergy are just as interested.
    I'm worth my weight in a investigation, and I've never known you to pass up a paying gig from the law."

Baro watches Atomos deftly accumulate coin for the tavern's tipmen, and gestures toward them.

"They've got a charm that might be of use too. Get us access that a Saurian and a Bounty Hunter can't."

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So like, Glitter-Beard is the literal spirit of the mountain that this city is built into? And Lockrin got directions to the meeting by talking to the stone?

Yeah that's pretty cool. Imma think a bit and post something.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    | Tacitus | L1 | Dog Paladin - Bernese Holy Dog | HP 25/25 | XP 01 | DMG D10 | AR 3

The moonlit streets of Eskigilium are filled with carousing and much magical delights in the main districts, but the silence of the back residential streets are broken by the tapping of claws on cobblestone. Tacitus smells his way towards a trusted companion in skullduggery. The Thirsty Mole doesn't allow dogs, but that doesn't stop him.

Various staff yelp and try to corral this misplaced mutt out to no effect. He makes his interrupting way to a live performance before a table for a thief and a spellslinger. Tacitus gives Baro a silent stare to remind him of their task tonight, before dashing out the bar before the staff could catch up. Some do, but what could they hope to do against a 150 lb Bernese Mountain Dog on a quest?

(if Ash wants to sneak behind and investigate our interlude, I wouldn't mind this. Helps you fulfill that relationship Stilts.)

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    So like, Glitter-Beard is the literal spirit of the mountain that this city is built into? And Lockrin got directions to the meeting by talking to the stone?

Yeah that's pretty cool. Imma think a bit and post something.
    I felt like going big. You have a level 5 spell, let's make it meaningful.
    Also, joining a new faith is always super cool and gives you tons of powers and no obligations

Speaking of relationships, feel free to write/rewrite new bonds based on whose team you choose to go on

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Well, yeah, new powers without obligations is like a staple of everything from Greek myths to superheroes. Totally checks out.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Dr. Zel Khan : The Tech (+owned) [][][][][][] STYLE 00 EDGE 00 COOL 02 MIND 01 MEAT -01 SYTH 01
    Cyberarm (Implant Tools)
    Neural Interface (Data Storage; +encrypted, +high speed)

Holdout Pistol(2-harm hand/close discreet quick reload loud)
    Gas Grenades (s-harm near area reload gas)
    Toolkit (breadboarder, splicer)
    Armoured clothing (0-armour, +discreet, -1 when rolling harm move)
    Trauma Derms (apply first aid @ 2100 or less harm)
    E.J.C.R. (encrypted)
    Cyberdeck (HARDENING 01 PROCESS 02 STEALTH 02; Identity Protection, Efficiency Routines, Manipulate, Eject )
    {Intel}

Dr. Khan empties his glass and closes his briefcase.

"I've got an exact location on the clinic. Rock, you think I could get a ride?"

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Rock Hart : The Driver (+owned) [][][][][][] Style: +0 | Edge: -1 | Cool: +2 | Mind: +1 | Meat: +0 | Synth: +1 Remote Control Module(+encrypted, +multi-tasking)

Heavy pistol (3-harm close/near loud)
    Synth leathers (0-armour, +discreet, subtract 1 when rolling the harm move)
    -
    Trojan (Cyber-linked Vectored-Thrust APC) (+fast, +easily repaired, +nondescript, -cramped, -guzzler) Weapons: Machine guns (3-harm, near/far, area, loud, messy, autofire), autocannon (4-harm, near/far, area, messy, breach)
    -
    Sauron (rotor) (+small, +fragile, +stealthy, sonar)
    Creepy Dogg (octoped) (+fast, +stealthy, +jamming, +medical, +fragile) Weapon: Needle gun (Magnetic Rifle)
    Dr. Khan empties his glass and closes his briefcase.

"I've got an exact location on the clinic. Rock, you-"

That's all Zel was able to get out, before Rock kicked off from the table, rolling off the back of his chair as it hits the floor and into a standing pivot. "Yes! Let's go! I need to feel the wind on my paint!"

He dashes to his vehicle, Creepy Dogg scamper-skittering along behind him, its medi-applicator lolling from its trifurcated mouth excitedly.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Lucius Vermillion : Fixer (+owned,+hunted)
    STATS STYLE 02 EDGE 01 COOL 01 SYNTH 00 MIND 00 MEAT -01
    Neural Interface Data Storage (+high capacity, +high speed, +rainbow highlights, +owned (MTM) )
    SYNTHETIC NERVES( +Hunted JoMari Biotech)
    INTEL(|) GEAR()

"Too hot? For you? Heh." He teases, while getting on his bike and switching to wireless headset. "Please tell me you aint going soft on me now." She's doing it for his sake and he knows it.

He speeds off to the The Boppin' Bird

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Baro Stonekey | L2 | Saurian Thief - Street Rat | HP 21/21 | XP 05 | DMG D8 | AR 1 | GOLD 50

"ah right, I'll let you think on it. I have an important obligation before I can commit anyhow."

Baro bows to Ash, and proceeds to follow the paladog out of the Thirsty Mole, but stops after crossing Atomos gaze.

"Might have some work for ya. Legal, and approved by the church... Well some of them. I'll be back in a few."

Baro then picks up his pace and pushes through the crowd around the lute maestro, into the open air, by Tacitus's side.
    "It's a quiet enough night compared to our arrival here... "

Baro smirks

"Well here, or anywhere we've dropped into.
    We looking for Thomas then?"

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Dr. Zel Khan : The Tech (+owned) [][][][][][] STYLE 00 EDGE 00 COOL 02 MIND 01 MEAT -01 SYTH 01
    Cyberarm (Implant Tools)

Intel {I} Gear {-}

Dr. Khan frowns as he pulls the knocked over chair upright.

"I guess we're off. Stay in touch, Vermillion."

Zel follows Rock to the garage.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Atomos Cleary | L1 | Human Bard - Conservatory | HP 19/19 | XP 05 | DMG D6 | AR 1

~ The Thirsty Mole ~ :whistle:

Atomos raises his lute to just behind his neck and yawns as the talkative Saurian mentions him, talks directly to him, and leaves without waiting for a response. Between the crowd, that saurian, and the portents from above it's seeming like the bard is simply fated to burn the midnight oil brightly tonight.

He catches the attention of the bounty hunter and approaches their table. "Well, certainly a loquacious fellow your friend is. Good to approach everything with such enthusiasm!" He pauses for a moment. "He let you in on what this job of his is about?"

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options

Zel, because you're a hacker, this is something you know. The Wild is an untamed bastion, a jungle of bits, roamed by many and conquered by none. It is a vast wilderness with many denizens, many travelers and many intruders. When you search through the Wild, When you run through its depths, you can almost...feel the other runners, the other intruders, you can feel the programs being run, the sheer mountains of data around you, and depending on circumstances, The Wild feels different at different times. It can feel cold when you're in an unknown location, the local networks dark and foreboding, or when there are few users nearby due to a power shortage or some other event. Other times, it feels Hot. It feels Hot when there are more users and programs running, it feels crowded, trackers find you faster and scanners snatch your data quicker. Usually, it happens in response to some big Hack on a Corp or the Government and they're doing everything in their power to track down those who took from them. When The Wild is Hot, you have to be careful in The Wild, you're never sure if someone's listening, or tracking you down, or simply running your ID. As far as you know or have heard, there hasn't been a big hack or anything like that but you've felt it. The Wild is Hot these days.

You and Rock head to the Pits.

It's not a long ride though the streets are bumpy and full of debris. It's not like anyone but Bottom-dwellers use the actual roads anymore anyways. Full of potholes, random cars that have died down and who knows what other garbage, driving through the Bottoms takes a rugged vehicle and a hell of a navigator, thankfully Rock is both. There are a few other vehicles on the road, either wrecks still somehow shambling on or loaded up rigs on their way to do who knows what.

Along the streets are poor vendors selling poorer merchandise, shady nightclubs and the worst sorts of dive bars. There's many homeless, as well as people living within the first ten or so floors of tall office buildings, owned by corporations who have simply left their bottom floors vacant and forgotten about, sealing off any way to climb higher through the building.

As you enter The Pits, the streets are a bit cleaner, the garbage a bit less. Neon lights shine from every which way, providing an ill light to the neighborhood. Businesses here offer their services in neon messages.

Rock, you park outside the doctor's office, a small two story house with the neon "DOCTOR WITHIN" blinking on and off out front. People walk the streets, some in rags you can tell are Bottom-dwellers, but some better dressed, down here from the Middle Districts either for a thrill or for cheap services they need that they can't afford elsewhere.

The lights are on in the Doctor's office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wMysX6r8w

The Boppin' Bird

Lucius, a big-shoulders robot wearing a very slick white suit lets you cut the line, nodding in recognition. Inside, the club is thumpin'. Folks of all sorts dance, some wearing retro-suits, others in metallic future-wear, still others in dazzling multicolored and sparkling dress. Different colored lights swirl and dazzle on the walls and ceilings. The club has a lounge vibe, couches and tables along the side of the room with a circular bar in the center of the room. It doesn't take you long to find Scorch.

She hasn't changed much since the last time you saw her, hair spiked up like some old anime show, a fiery red. She's wearing black leather Fuck-Off clothes and big black combat boots. She watches the room and drinks a glass of whiskey. As you get closer, you notice she's got her eyes switched on, the pupils little orbs of flames. She waves you over like you took all day to get there. It's hard to remember she's still a teenager, not yet twenty. "You showed up just in time," She finishes her glass. "I need another drink."

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Cyberarm (Implant Tools)

Intel {I} Gear {-}

"A little on the nose with the signage. You coming?", Dr. Khan asks, getting out of the APC and onto the busy sidewalk.

He walks up to the home and opens the front door.

E: I have this image in my head of Zel pulling on some long leather gloves that cover his synthetics so as not to stand out too much on the street but I've had a little trouble writing this out. If I can word it to my own satisfaction I might add this in.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Finally made it to the sprawl episode of counter weight

This really helps

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Haha YESSSSSSS. It is so good.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Neural Interface Data Storage (+high capacity, +high speed, +rainbow highlights, +owned (MTM) )
    INTEL(|) GEAR()

"Pace yourself. I need you sharp." He orders a mojito and 2 shots of whiskey, scanning the room a bit more nervously than normally. "Let's sit over there." He points out a spot where his back is to the wall, but he has clear view of all entrances and exits.

That's how they get you.

NeoToma on
  • Options

"Yeah, yeah, I'm a fuckin' needle, bro, whatever." She shakes her head and smirks. "And I thought I was paranoid."

You both move to the spot you gestured to. From here you can see the entrance as well as a couple doors the employees use and the back door by the bathrooms. A waitress wearing a dress that shimmers and constantly changes colors brings the drinks and sets them down. Scorch waits for her to leave before taking the shot of whiskey and drinking it down in one gulp. She sneers. "Don't tell me how to drink." She puts the glass down and leans back. "Now what is it you need?"

Depending on what you say or how you're going about this, roll the appropriate move.

• Options

Zel, the door is locked, a camera above it watches you and an intercom beside the door switches on.

"Do you need immediate medical assistance?" a leathery male voice asks.

• Options
    Cyberarm (Implant Tools)

Intel {I} Gear {-}

Zel looks back towards Rock for a moment before looking up at the camera above the door.

"Yes"

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2016

"What is the nature of your condition?"

You can tell the voice doesn't quite believe you. You figure that most of his clients are likely coming up to the door bleeding or gunshot or showing some similar sign of immediate injury, so you might be quite unusual, looking healthy and all that.

Note, if you're going to bullshit this, you should probably roll fast-talk, since you're trying to get him to open the door by lying about being injured.

As for Rock, we can assume he's hanging back for now, maybe to see how this goes, be back up if need be or maybe to do something else with his drones or whatnot once you're inside.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    How dangerous is a gunshot wound to the foot in this universe

Eh, actually maybe I'll roll

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, you could recieve say, 1-harm from Rock. Then you roll the Harm Move which may complicate things. This would likely allow you to get in without rolling fast-talk however, so the choice is up to you.

• Options
    The roll would be +style, so it would simply be 2d6 and you would want to get >6

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Is there anything akin to a short rest in this game to reset harm?

I mean, if I get in the door he'll probably treat me I guess

Hmm

I'll definitely have a post sometime this afternoon, I'm just trying to think about what this character would do

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Harm is generally reset after a mission. So here's what would happen. You would get hurt, go in, receive treatment but that harm would still stay there to represent the general pain and inconvenience that affects you throughout the mission and more harm would be in addition to that.

I will also let you know this, as Zel would know this. This guy is more sham than doctor. He probably has some skill that he charges exorbitant amounts for and is not someone you, yourself, would trust to handle more than a simple wound. Not trying to persuade you one way or another but wanted to give you what your character would know.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    INTEL(|) GEAR()

Ahh the overconfidence of youth. Funny quickly how getting hit by truck full of biochem and turned into a mutant robs you of that.

"I got a job. Some little hacker shit someone wants transported." pounding his whiskey and raises a hand at the waitress for two more. "Since you are expert on hacker bullshit I want you covering our ass in the Wild. I think I got a trail." He sips his Mojito angrily. "I've been laying low too long its time to make some moves."

NeoToma on
  • Options
    I will also let you know this, as Zel would know this. This guy is more sham than doctor. He probably has some skill that he charges exorbitant amounts for and is not someone you, yourself, would trust to handle more than a simple wound. Not trying to persuade you one way or another but wanted to give you what your character would know.

The more I think about it, the more willing I think Zel would be start off with a lie to this guy

geth, roll 2d6 for fast talk

fast talk:
    2d6 12 [2d6=6, 6]

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    oh hell yeah

Cyberarm (Implant Tools)

Intel {I} Gear {-}

Zel looks around absently, rubbing his head with a hand.

"Sudden blindness. I was just checking out of the hotel down the block when it started happening, the very kind stranger back there drove me here. I am also feeling mildly nauseous. Can you help me, Doc?"

He waves a hand in front of his face for effect

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg