As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    It still gets me that a three and a half year old game for a portable system can retail for $30, when I can go grab AAA titles from last summer for $20.

I like Nintendo and all, but their pricing always boggles me. I don't think that having basically launch-month games for $20 would devalue their brand in any way.

This will be ten years old in roughly seven months. It still retails for full MSRP.

I can't imagine the sales of that are high enough to justify not slashing the price.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's not a matter of having or lacking metrics.
    It's a matter of putting company values and traditions above any metrics or other such tools.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/yumis_odd_odyssey_is_coming_to_europe_under_its_original_japanese_title_sayonara_umiharakawase
    3DS eShop exclusive, arriving April 24th

Agatsuma Entertainment has confirmed that it is bringing Sayonara UmiharaKawase to Europe on April 24th as a download-only 3DS eShop exclusive. The price will be 24.99 Euros.

The game — which follows on from the Japan-only Super Famicom and Nintendo DS editions — recently hit North America under the title Yumi's Odd Odyssey. "There's really nothing else like Umihara Kawase," we said in our Yumi's Odd Odyssey review. "Its Western release is something to celebrate — puzzle-platforming fans, don't let this one get away."

It has also been confirmed that the ranking system will be in place for the European launch so players can compare their skills with other 3DS owners.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It still gets me that a three and a half year old game for a portable system can retail for $30, when I can go grab AAA titles from last summer for $20.

I like Nintendo and all, but their pricing always boggles me. I don't think that having basically launch-month games for $20 would devalue their brand in any way.

This will be ten years old in roughly seven months. It still retails for full MSRP.

I can't imagine the sales of that are high enough to justify not slashing the price.
    Theyve long since made a profit on it. This is just icing on the cake

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I'd imagine if the sales were low enough, the retailers would just sell their remaining stock on clearance. The fact that they aren't seems to indicate that it still sells at that price.

But hey, I'm just guessing.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nintendo games in general have stupidly long tails, at least compared to traditional retail games. Sales for your typical console game die off completely within three months or so. With many Nintendo games they continue to sell at lowish but significant enough levels that I guess the company feels it's still worthwhile.

Not to say it isn't theoretically possible for Nintendo to beef up their revenue with quicker sales (the Steam model makes a strong argument for that), but it's not just Nintendo being stubborn.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've sold two in the last month or so. When you consider the DS is all but dead, that's quite impressive. Even if we only sold 1 copy at each store, it's still a lot of copies of a decade old game moving. I'd guess somewhere in the area of 2-4k/month.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm starting to have a sort of love/hate relationship with Dream Team. Timed hits from Super Mario RPG I was quite fond of, but having to sit through a mini-game each time I want to use a special attack and some of the elaborate things you have to defend against are starting to make battles feel really drawn out.

Yeah the lack of more basic specials in the regular world is annoying considering you fight hordes of enemies . Defense timing is stupid precise compared to older games too.

I could probably make a list of complaints about this game which is a shame because the rest of the series is pretty much perfect

Its not a bad game its just not up to par

The Giant Luigi fights are becoming excessively tedious as well. The first one was really fun, and I had high hopes for them, but I just finished the third one and it was horrible. 90% of the time was spend avoiding and defending and just doing that tug of war thing to get the enemy into the right position for the only attack that truly hurts it.

Everything else felt like a waste of time. I was really hoping for a more paper-rock-scissors kind of thing like the one on one duels in the Suikoden series.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Well... I "beat" Rune Factory IV. Credits rolled for the second time. THE END... oh, but wait... tons of dialogue after the credits rolled. No hints this time that there's more to do. Am I free?

Google it... NOPE, there's a third act triggered by a random event. Plus I still have to get married and have a kid. There's also tons of requests left to do if I feel like being a completionist.

I'm not one to continue playing a game when I'm bored. I've long since given myself permission to stop playing a game if I'm not having fun anymore, but this is the JRPG that just keeps on giving. It's still fun! I have to see it all the way through to the end. What amazes me is the sheer amount of dialogue that never seems to stop. Every single day the NPCs have something new to say and it's endeared me to all them. It isn't often in a JRPG that EVERY character is likeable. I'm interested to see just how far the unique dialogue goes before it actually runs out.

Honestly, get this game before it disappears from store shelves forever. If you haven't played a Harvest Moon before, this is the one to play. If you like action RPGs like Secret of Mana or Zelda, you'll love this gem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Iunno, I got bored and confused at Rune Factor IV about 5 or so hours in. I felt like I was missing stuff that I didn't know how to do and had no goals to figure out to work towards.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Iunno, I got bored and confused at Rune Factor IV about 5 or so hours in. I felt like I was missing stuff that I didn't know how to do and had no goals to figure out to work towards.

That's a bit ambiguous but around that stage, events should be happening simply by talking to Venti and the townspeople.

You wake up, do your farming chores, make some food to get your RP back, then talk with Eliza (the Request Box), the townspeople and Venti. Early on, Venti should be telling you what to do and she'll remind you if you talk to her again.

Unlike other Harvest Moon games, I never felt the way you felt with this one. This particular iteration seems to be the most focused of them all. It is somewhat sandboxy in it's own way. You can go out and tame monsters, make food, armor, accessories, weapons, etc. You can shower all the ladies (or men, if that's your preference!) with gifts. There's Festivals you can order at the board next to Venti which are always fun. It is easy to get caught up in all the things you can do and cease to progress the story.

I suppose if you don't enjoy the farming aspect, then a huge chunk of the game will be lost on you. I've always enjoyed games with farming for some reason. I don't know what it is, but I eat them up. Surprisingly though, I never got caught up in the Farmville craze. To me it was a Harvest Moon-lite and wasn't worth my time.

My recommendation to anyone playing would be to not be so concerned about missing things. As far as I can tell, all events will repeat if you miss them the first time. You don't need to talk to every single person everyday but you should make your best effort to do it. Regardless, there's so much damn dialogue that forgetting to talk to an NPC one day will just extend the lifespan of the unique dialogue overall. If you're trying to progress the story and you're finding your whole day is wasting away doing your chores, stop planting new crops until you finish the next story segment. You need the wood and stone that'll appear in your empty fields anyway :)

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Recently while browsing the Nintendo sections of places like Target and Best Buy I still see Other M in stock. And it's still near full price ($30-$40, can't exactly recall). Even DS Pokemons are still at the upper end of DS game price points.

Pokemon games never go down in price.

I did grab a copy of other m though at a five below for 5 bucks, so that's not impossible to find cheap. Still haven't even opened it though.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Well... I "beat" Rune Factory IV. Credits rolled for the second time. THE END... oh, but wait... tons of dialogue after the credits rolled. No hints this time that there's more to do. Am I free?

Google it... NOPE, there's a third act triggered by a random event. Plus I still have to get married and have a kid. There's also tons of requests left to do if I feel like being a completionist.

I'm not one to continue playing a game when I'm bored. I've long since given myself permission to stop playing a game if I'm not having fun anymore, but this is the JRPG that just keeps on giving. It's still fun! I have to see it all the way through to the end. What amazes me is the sheer amount of dialogue that never seems to stop. Every single day the NPCs have something new to say and it's endeared me to all them. It isn't often in a JRPG that EVERY character is likeable. I'm interested to see just how far the unique dialogue goes before it actually runs out.

Honestly, get this game before it disappears from store shelves forever. If you haven't played a Harvest Moon before, this is the one to play. If you like action RPGs like Secret of Mana or Zelda, you'll love this gem.

I'm going to tell you something that's more for my own amusement than for your benefit.

After you complete all of the board requests, you can play New Game+.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

I'm going to tell you something that's more for my own amusement than for your benefit.

After you complete all of the board requests, you can play New Game+.

Wha...? Noooooooooooo! I'm going to be stuck in Selphia forever.

tumblr_lh60fnc1hc1qargsso1_500.gif

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I don't win stuff like that ever, but I texted and entered either way. Might as well.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I think the last time I seriously won a prize, it was a brand new VHS copy of Power Rangers: The Movie that I won during a Fox Kids call-in contest.

But I texted into it either way because it appears to be one of the rare times when you can enter a contest that doesn't require you to log into effing Facebook.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I won a basketball off a Sprite cap once, and a set of Star Wars Episode I-branded walkie talkies from a bag of Lays once.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I won a free 20oz Sprite every couple days for like, 4 solid weeks once. Bought one and then every cap said I won a free one. It was p. baller.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    When I was nineteen I won a trip to Austin TX to see Offspring in concert from a local radio station.

Probably the only time I've won something that was a pretty big deal.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    My family entered a grocery giveaway and won a chainsaw. We had no idea what to do with it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I randomly decided to pick up Kid Icarus: Uprising again. This game is huge if you let it get its hooks in you. And I was surprised that I was able to hop into a multiplayer game within 2 minutes at midnight last night. Such a good game.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ooooo, I want that Midnight Purple 3DS.

Looking at the specs, the 3DSXL is not that much bigger, correct? Is it better to get a 3DSXL, or get a 3DS in a color you love and save $20?

Thoughts?

• Options
    The concole itself is not that much bigger, but the screens are.

It makes a tremendous difference. Definitely get an XL.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    But...but purple!
    Just saw a side by side pic. That is a huge difference.

• Options
    All I know is that ever since I've owned an XL, whenever I try to use my old 3DS that I gave my daughter, I just can't do it.

It's so small and stuff.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But...but purple!
    Just saw a side by side pic. That is a huge difference.

The Midnight Purple is quite gorgeous; I recently bought one to replace my Flame Red 3DS.

Mu3A2HNl.jpg

MiM1zBBl.jpg

Which I really need to get off my lazy ass and list on eBay before that Pokemon code expires. Gah!

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    All I know is that ever since I've owned an XL, whenever I try to use my old 3DS that I gave my daughter, I just can't do it.

It's so small and stuff.

Yeah, same here.

It never bothered me while I was using my OG 3DS, but after getting the golden Zelda XL..man, it's such a huge improvement.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have a much easier time with the 3D effects on the bigger screen too.
    and the Select/home/start buttons are much better.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I actually preferred the 3D on the OG 3DS, I seem to get ghosting quite easily on the XL.

Virtually everything else about it is an improvement though.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I've decided to upgrade to a XL but I know as soon as I buy one, it's going to go on sale somewhere or there'll be a special bundle or a new Phoenix Wright edition will be announced.

• Options
    Taya wrote: »
    I've decided to upgrade to a XL but I know as soon as I buy one, it's going to go on sale somewhere or there'll be a special bundle or a new Phoenix Wright edition will be announced.

Just get a case.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I actually preferred the 3D on the OG 3DS, I seem to get ghosting quite easily on the XL.

Virtually everything else about it is an improvement though.

Hold it slightly farther away.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I was carrying my 3DS in a pocket and the carrying strap was (accidentally) hanging out. It caught on a doorknob and pulled that entire (small) corner piece out by the strap. :'( I wonder if there's a place that can fix something like this, or if I should just resign myself to living with it in its deformed state since none of the buttons or anything was damaged.

• Options
    I was carrying my 3DS in a pocket and the carrying strap was (accidentally) hanging out. It caught on a doorknob and pulled that entire (small) corner piece out by the strap. :'( I wonder if there's a place that can fix something like this, or if I should just resign myself to living with it in its deformed state since none of the buttons or anything was damaged.

XL or regular?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

XL or regular?

Regular

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

Just get a case.

I don't think that looks good at all!

• Options
    Oof, so much great stuff to download today, I don't even know where to start.

Any of my European brosefs getting Nintendo Pocket Football Club? I wanna try out the online mode.

• Options
    edited April 2014

XL or regular?

Regular

It depends on where it's broken. Is it on the bottom half of the shell(battery side)? If so, you can fairly easily replace it yourself by grabbing a replacement off of eBay.

If we're talking the front side(more towards where the screen/controls are), it's "doable" but you'll have to practically completely disassemble it to replace the front shell.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Since it is just the housing of the unit, super glue?