As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Turnabout [Chat]

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
legion-c2.jpg

"...override367 will create the new thread"

PWAADD_Objection%21.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1jknZp0ic

phoenix-wright-not-hd.jpg

Mister Geth, I put it to you that override367 has failed in his duties. While his backup Echo has abdicated! In light of this, I move for an emergency thread start!

background-(ani)gavel.gif

Judge1.png

The court will grant Mister Wright's request.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    is there any hacky way I can make rainymood.com feel like it's in the background, and not ... competing (?) with pandora / last.fm?

Open it in it's own browser window (IE or whatever - just not the one you're using for pandora) and then use the volume mixer to drop the sound for that browser until it feels suitably background-y?

I am assuming there is a similar feature if you're using a Mac.

cool. that seemed a little too obvious, so I wasn't sure if it would give the right impression. certainly seems to, though.

thanks

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    @Tamin why not use mynoise.net it has a rain generator with calibration levels

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Is this an illicit chat thread?

I feel so dangerous right now

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    But override is online. His name is at the bottom of the D+D page.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I thought that white people television was called CBS
    72d093d6bc543001d33475b0d8a8b8f7_large.jpeg

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    is there any hacky way I can make rainymood.com feel like it's in the background, and not ... competing (?) with pandora / last.fm?

Open it in it's own browser window (IE or whatever - just not the one you're using for pandora) and then use the volume mixer to drop the sound for that browser until it feels suitably background-y?

I am assuming there is a similar feature if you're using a Mac.

cool. that seemed a little too obvious, so I wasn't sure if it would give the right impression. certainly seems to, though.

thanks

No worries.

sig.gif
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin why not use mynoise.net it has a rain generator with calibration levels

because I didn't know about it!

That's really neat. Thank you.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Bravo, RMS.

Also, here is that thing I've been trying to post: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    CBS is strange to me. But then again, so is Fox and ABC.

NBC is the only broadcast net I watch with any regularity, yet it's almost always in last place.

So the problem here is obviously mine.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I loved the little message @Echo had for Geth at the end of the last thread. Geth cares not for your fleshy wants and objections.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    it feels like when i click on some nerdy pop-culture review i'm greeted by narration with a lisp.

also i seem to meet a lot of nerdy dudes with lisps.

so what is the deal with nerds and lisps? is it really more common among nerds or is it just that i notice it because it validates my expectations?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm online but very intermittently

I'm "working"

override367 on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    kedinik wrote: »

it is strange to me that all these metaphors are required to illustrate the concept that white guys don't have to deal with a lot of things that non-white non-guys have to deal with.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    if I got picked to start a thread, which I fortunately haven't

it'd probably a good idea to do this too

hmm maybe I should toss something together just in case

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Illegal warehouse [chat]?

Cocks dicks massive!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it feels like when i click on some nerdy pop-culture review i'm greeted by narration with a lisp.

so what is the deal with nerds and lisps? is it really more common among nerds or is it just that i notice it because it validates my expectations?

I've known quite a few nerds in real life. None of them have lithpth.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

maybe lisp -> social ostracizing -> embracing of non-popular interests -> grow into hideous neckbeard -> maintain lisp

Maybe having a speech impediment limits your social options from a young age, forcing you in a small range of roles.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

The Lisp fairy only visits the nerd community. It's a fetish of his.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »

Use my method. Occasionally create threads. Do a effort post OP. Maybe have some effort posts in the thread. Reuse said effort posts as Chat OP. Accept your accolades as a hero.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    At one point Aarons' credit card was down to like 1100 and now it's back up to 3500 and i cannot deal with this right now

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

it is strange to me that all these metaphors are required to illustrate the concept that white guys don't have to deal with a lot of things that non-white non-guys have to deal with.

Well, and one of the author's points being that if you don't dress up that message somehow, a lot of people will tend to reject the message without thinking about it.

Though the metaphors don't seem to be working particularly very well either.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What lifp?

At one point Aarons' credit card was down to like 1100 and now it's back up to 3500 and i cannot deal with this right now

Go all Fight Club on the company.

Set everyone back to zero.

Organichu wrote: »

maybe lisp -> social ostracizing -> embracing of non-popular interests -> grow into hideous neckbeard -> maintain lisp

I wont stand for this sort of Lisp Fairy denial.

You will be burned in the town square.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

people are bad at assessing relative degrees of suffering and privilege

this is true even if it's something not as complex or sophisticated as racial privileges

people have difficulty assessing whether they have, say, made a net contribution or net benefit from social insurance

aRkpc.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

fff

wasn't the plan to break from school to get the card to zero?

which one of you has a heroin habit

DON'T LIE I'M CHECKING TOE WEBBINGS

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Use my method. Occasionally create threads. Do a effort post OP. Maybe have some effort posts in the thread. Reuse said effort posts as Chat OP. Accept your accolades as a hero.

create... threads?

sounds like dark magics

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

create... threads?

sounds like dark magics

Speaking of that, I need to sacrifice a goat and do the new instant watch film thread.

Atomika wrote: »

Maybe having a speech impediment limits your social options from a young age, forcing you in a small range of roles.

my brothers both have speech impediments from an early age (probably caused by ear infections) that makes their "r's" into "w's". i don't notice it because i came up with them, but apparently it's super-noticeable.

for whatever reason, though, the r->w doesn't seem as associated with nerddom as the s-> th.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

fff

wasn't the plan to break from school to get the card to zero?

which one of you has a heroin habit

DON'T LIE I'M CHECKING TOE WEBBINGS

toe webbings are one of the parts of the body that really squick me out

919UOwT.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular

It's both. There's some confirmation bias I'm sure but it's also true that people with speech impediments like lisps, stammers, nasal vocal tones, and conditions that lead to mouth-breathing are more common among nerds and gamers and the like.

Why?

Because people with circumstances like that tend to get shit on it for it as kids, especially as adolescents, and as a result will have a tendency to develop anxieties and socially outcast status. This will lead to them developing hobbies, interests, and social circles that are reflective of that. A lot of nerdy hobbies are basically perfect in this regard.

See also: all other nerd stereotypes.

to be precise, it is really hard to assess net difficulty or privilege.

To say whether you like or dislike some condition, it's easy. It is the relative judgment that is difficult. Magnitudes are hard.

aRkpc.gif
    ronya wrote: »

this is true even if it's something not as complex or sophisticated as racial privileges

people have difficulty assessing whether they have, say, made a net contribution or net benefit from social insurance

well sure

but i mean dressing up the assertion that "you are privileged" into a gaming (or whatever other) sort of metaphor doesn't strengthen the assertion.

that is, metaphor is generally used to illustrate a difficult concept. i find it hard to believe that the assertion of privilege is being rejected by people because they just don't understand it.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    My psychiatrist is real happy about my progress.

So am i, obviously...

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    The South is a giant sentient speech impediment.

Bless your heart.
    Atomika wrote: »

my brothers both have speech impediments from an early age (probably caused by ear infections) that makes their "r's" into "w's". i don't notice it because i came up with them, but apparently it's super-noticeable.

for whatever reason, though, the r->w doesn't seem as associated with nerddom as the s-> th.

Agreed. My cousin has always had a pronounce r-w impediment, and he's a CPA with a masters degree and was a quarterback in college.

ronya wrote: »

well sure

but i mean dressing up the assertion that "you are privileged" into a gaming (or whatever other) sort of metaphor doesn't strengthen the assertion.

that is, metaphor is generally used to illustrate a difficult concept. i find it hard to believe that the assertion of privilege is being rejected by people because they just don't understand it.

not really. it is also why a foot race metaphor is the common one predating this scalzi one about the internets. In these contexts, people are habituated into thinking in terms of degrees and magnitudes, rather than binary "I suffered for this once, so it can't be privilege/I deserve the benefits/etc."

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.