As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Or build a bridge.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Canada's most belligerent diplomatic move since WW2

• Options
    the Ukrainian President has assured everyone "there is no reason to panic"

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    ~begins panicking~

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I love this country.

Canada, that is. Not Russia. Although, the country of Not Russia seems okay?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I love this country.

Canada, that is. Not Russia. Although, the country of Not Russia seems okay?

no its pretty much a hellhole too. but that doesn't mean they should be taken over

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So, Georgia, now the Ukraine, what's next? Who is Russia going to annex next?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Which countries aren't in nato?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Balarus and then Lithuania, I'd guess.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Which countries aren't in nato?

Belarus

Finland

Sweden

• Options
    Although they already essentially own Belarus so

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Belarus has nothing to fear because to my knowledge they are completely playing ball with Russia. In fact there are backburner plans for a voluntary political union. I'm not sure how likely it is but it's a thing that's discussed now and then. Check again if Lukashenko gets outed.

I don't see the need for Finnish territory to end up in Russia. After all they did that already.

And unlike Finland, Sweden was never part of Russia, so there's no real logic. And Finland's in the way.

• Options
    It's actually most likely that they'd go invade Moldova to support the Transnistrian rebels there

• Options
    It's actually most likely that they'd go invade Moldova to support the Transnistrian rebels there

Forgot them. Yeah they were stirring the pot there. And if they pushed all the way to Odessa it would be really easy to go a little further.

• Options
    On thinking about it, I'd guess they would attempt to annex as much of the coast of Ukraine to get to Trasnistrian and Moldova (and especially Odessa along the way), then probably turn south go go into Georgia/Armenia/Azerbeijan again.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    On thinking about it, I'd guess they would attempt to annex as much of the coast of Ukraine to get to Trasnistrian and Moldova (and especially Odessa along the way), then probably turn south go go into Georgia/Armenia/Azerbeijan again.

At this time I wasn't aware of them stirring the pot anywhere else, including the Caucuses. Also I dunno how Turkey would feel about further agression against their northern Neighbours, and Russia would like to keep Turkey on point or the strategic value of Sevastopol goes down the tube. And Turkey is in NATO.

• Options
    Yeah, but once they get the eastern bloc taken care of there is little else for them to focus on. All of the Nordic countries they border are either NATO or politically neutral. Most are part of the Nordic Union thing which would bring in NATO countries should things get hot. The only nations they could really annex from without running into other Great Power influence would be in the Caucuses or central Asia and Kazakhstan is already an ally.

• Options
    The primary reason for messing with Ukraine is because Ukraine was showing interest at closer ties with the West, which to a Soviet Grognard is intolerable, so now the drive to hold on to strategic locations in the area. I am not a Caucuses expert, but they've already got Georgia's pound of flesh, and I wasn't aware of Azerbaijan or Armenia doing anything to make them feel encroached. Same for Central Asia.

Also I would have thought that soldiers "on leave" who cross a border and get into a fight would not be considered soldiers any longer in a standard military code of justice. I'm totally "shocked" at this.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    How else is he gonna get everybody to forget how shitty Sochi was?

Which is apparently a ghost town now

http://gizmodo.com/just-six-months-after-the-olympics-sochi-looks-like-a-1626519139

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Well, the winter resort portions anyway. The city has quite a few people living and working where the 300k citizens always had.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Well, the winter resort portions anyway. The city has quite a few people living and working where the 300k citizens always had.

except for the ones forced out of their homes to make way for empty, unfinished hotels

• Options
    Empty, unfinished hotels are a Russian specialty!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    i think i like the canadian one better

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Also, look at the difference in the Georgian border.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Russia does have a tendency to view de facto as de jure. Except when it's not in their interests...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wonder what Turkey are going to do about this

they can't be happy with Russia just rolling into the Crimea in such a blatant, if un-admitted manner

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

they can't be happy with Russia just rolling into the Crimea in such a blatant, if un-admitted manner

if they hear one word about tatars being harmed, they will be PISSED

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Turkey's also in NATO, so if Russia tries anything, several other countries have to get involved.

• Options
    hahahahaha apparently the original tweet forgot to put in the Georgian territories

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    damn

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

they signed a trade deal with Russia pretty recently so I guess they aren't super pissed

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    What was it we were talking about earlier? Oh yeah, Sochi is a ghost town

Who needs the Olympics for revenue when you can just steal Ukraine?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Will anyplace ever really put sanctions on Russia? Will European countries stop buying oil from them, maybe buy from haha the USA instead? Is that a thing that would feasibly happen?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Will anyplace ever really put sanctions on Russia? Will European countries stop buying oil from them, maybe buy from haha the USA instead? Is that a thing that would feasibly happen?

It's natural gas they need, and no because nobody else has the infrastructure to supply what Europe needs, including us.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.