As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need some earvice (gaming headsets)

DrezDrez Registered User regular
I would like a surround sound/stereo headset that I can use for game audio as well as as a microphone.

I have my eyes on the Turtle Beach XP510.

Couple of questions:

1) Is that the "best" one out there?
2) Is it compatible with Xbox One, PS4, and PC?
3) Additionally, can it be used with any of: PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U?
4) Is it OVER the ear or ON the ear?
5) Can I use this for audio in lieu of a receiver for audio output from my Xbox One, PS4, PC, and hopefully PS3?
6) Is it worth 250 bucks?

Thanks for any help. Bottom line: I'd like a damn good headset with a mic. Surround sound is a plus. Compatibility across next gen (including PC) is a must and compatibility across last gen is a plus. I don't have a working receiver right now so I'm looking for this to also solve my console-to-headset issues.

Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i have a plantronics gamescom 780 which i love. it uses a usb connection so assuing the xbox and PS3 can use that you should be fine. its over the ear and the mic is great

has doby surround sound too

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/gamecom-780

i had a turtle beach headset and it was a piece of shit. thing didnt work right from the begining and the support is awful

camo_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I answered a few of my questions already:

Looks like the A50 is another good one, but it's 60 dollars more at today's Amazon prices.

Both the XP510 and A50 are compatible with all the consoles I want except Wii U. And it seems like I just need to use the optical out from the system, and don't need a receiver.

Can anyone confirm that last point? And any other opinions would be great.

@mts hmm ok thanks

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I have the steelseries siberia and love it, just to further muddy the waters.

@‌schuss thanks

@mts Are those Plantronics on the ear or over the ear? I used to have a Plantronics headset which was on the ear but it was too uncomfortable. Those GC780s look like they are on the ear.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Siberia's are over the ear, and the tension headband makes them pretty comfy. You can't hear much outside of them (IE, my wife trying to talk to me), but everything else comes in quite clearly. The mic also slides into the headset when not in use, so small amount of risk of breakage.
    I use the USB ones, but they make normal style as well.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Just got a Steelseries 5HV3 which I am quite happy with so far...though I am not an audiophile and I only game on the PC.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    @‌schuss thanks

@mts Are those Plantronics on the ear or over the ear? I used to have a Plantronics headset which was on the ear but it was too uncomfortable. Those GC780s look like they are on the ear.

they fit over my ears and they are not small baby ears. i have a giant head too, and they are super comfy

camo_sig.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I have the Steelseries 5HV2 with the mic that slides into the earpiece and am less than thrilled with it, at least when using with Vent. The mic doesn't stay in place like a headset with a stiff mic boom and unless I shout people on the other end have a hard time hearing me no matter how much I turn up the gain or fiddle with settings. I'm not sure if they fixed it in other versions but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as I'm in the market for a new headset without these headaches.

steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I have the Steelseries 5HV2 with the mic that slides into the earpiece and am less than thrilled with it, at least when using with Vent. The mic doesn't stay in place like a headset with a stiff mic boom and unless I shout people on the other end have a hard time hearing me no matter how much I turn up the gain or fiddle with settings. I'm not sure if they fixed it in other versions but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as I'm in the market for a new headset without these headaches.

???

The mic on the 5HV3 is very stiff and I would have to deliberately take it in my fingers and bend it to get it to move out of place once it's set where I want it to be. Also, nobody has yet reported any difficulty in hearing me.

The mic configuration in Windows that tries to calibrate it for speech recognition or whatever kept complaining that it couldn't hear me clearly, but fuck that, I'm not using it for speech recognition.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    of all the gaming headphones I've sampled over the recent years, Turtle Beaches were by far the worst. Could have been a bad demo setup, but they just sounded flat and cheap.

Logitech and Plantronics are both great brands, I would give the nod to Plantronics slightly, especially if you prioritize microphone quality.

I'm so confused...

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    You're going to own a pc, Xbox, ps3, xbone, ps4, and a Wii U?

fwKS7.png?1
    kaliyama wrote: »
    You're going to own a pc, Xbox, ps3, xbone, ps4, and a Wii U?

No.

I already own all those.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Looks like the A50 is another good one, but it's 60 dollars more at today's Amazon prices.

Both the XP510 and A50 are compatible with all the consoles I want except Wii U. And it seems like I just need to use the optical out from the system, and don't need a receiver.

The A50 takes the optical out directly, yes.

I've not used the A50, but I have the A40 (with Mixamp), and it is an amazingly nice setup. They've made a few tweaks since then that I don't love (I believe the Mixamp Pro is optical-only now, for instance), but it's still IMO the best headset out there. Can't speak for the wireless, but with the wired setup it's well worth the $250, at least if you have $250 to spend.

You can also just buy the Mixamp and use it with the headset of your choice, though I don't think that works out all that well value-wise (the A40 is only $130 or so more, and worth it...the $199 retail on the headset alone is a stretch).

I will note that to my knowledge neither the A40 nor A50 is compatible with DTS, it's Dolby Digital only. The Xbox One is supposed to get DD support this month, but may not have it yet (I don't use the headset with it). You'll also need the headset adapter, as with any other headset.

One reason I'm a fan of wired, and the Astro Mixamp in particular, is modularity. Most other setups, and almost all wireless setups (including the A50), are a complete integrated system. Which means if anything breaks you are stuck repairing/replacing the system as a whole. Or if for whatever reason you don't find the headset comfortable, you're fucked. Whereas the Mixamp in particular is compatible with (pretty much) any wired headset you want to throw on with it. I broke a set of A40s (they're pretty sturdy, and repairable, but I managed) and was able to substitute another headset for quite some time before replacing it with a new set...while still using the Mixamp for all my game/chat needs.

I'll add one more disclaimer, I bought both my sets of Astros prior to their acquisition by Skullcandy. Not sure if anything's changed. Wouldn't trade my current set for anything, though. I just use a long optical cord to get around the living room, and power them from behind the couch. The Mixamp sits on the end table next to the couch, easy enough.

edited March 2014
    mcdermott wrote: »

The A50 takes the optical out directly, yes.

I've not used the A50, but I have the A40 (with Mixamp), and it is an amazingly nice setup. They've made a few tweaks since then that I don't love (I believe the Mixamp Pro is optical-only now, for instance), but it's still IMO the best headset out there. Can't speak for the wireless, but with the wired setup it's well worth the $250, at least if you have $250 to spend.

You can also just buy the Mixamp and use it with the headset of your choice, though I don't think that works out all that well value-wise (the A40 is only $130 or so more, and worth it...the $199 retail on the headset alone is a stretch).

I will note that to my knowledge neither the A40 nor A50 is compatible with DTS, it's Dolby Digital only. The Xbox One is supposed to get DD support this month, but may not have it yet (I don't use the headset with it). You'll also need the headset adapter, as with any other headset.

One reason I'm a fan of wired, and the Astro Mixamp in particular, is modularity. Most other setups, and almost all wireless setups (including the A50), are a complete integrated system. Which means if anything breaks you are stuck repairing/replacing the system as a whole. Or if for whatever reason you don't find the headset comfortable, you're fucked. Whereas the Mixamp in particular is compatible with (pretty much) any wired headset you want to throw on with it. I broke a set of A40s (they're pretty sturdy, and repairable, but I managed) and was able to substitute another headset for quite some time before replacing it with a new set...while still using the Mixamp for all my game/chat needs.

I'll add one more disclaimer, I bought both my sets of Astros prior to their acquisition by Skullcandy. Not sure if anything's changed. Wouldn't trade my current set for anything, though. I just use a long optical cord to get around the living room, and power them from behind the couch. The Mixamp sits on the end table next to the couch, easy enough.

@mcdermott:

I'm a huge fan of Skullcandy - they make my favorite earbuds - so that's not an issue for me. :)

Thanks for the writeup. I'm still thinking about what to do. Turtle Beach seems to garner a lot of hate. Back in the day, I thought they were the primo pro sound card makers - better than Creative Labs (by "back in the day" I mean "back in the 1994-2000 era"). I was never really familiar with their other products, though.

But everything I read about the A50s trends toward positive.

Question though: Does the headset adapter for the XBO mean that you can use the A40/A50 chat through the headset? I'm still thoroughly confused on that front. I don't think the XBO allows chat through headsets by default. Is that what the adapter is for?

Drez on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Back in the 90's Turtle Beach WAS a respected company. I had one of their sound cards.

But now to me it seems like just a brand name holding company that makes cruddy plastic headsets for Xbox

Too many other great makers out there to take a risk with them IMO. If you want to find out for yourself, my Best Buy has a full Turtle Beach demo setup and that's where I realized they were junk. But maybe they just did a bad wiring job or something

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Question though: Does the headset adapter for the XBO mean that you can use the A40/A50 chat through the headset? I'm still thoroughly confused on that front. I don't think the XBO allows chat through headsets by default. Is that what the adapter is for?

To my knowledge the headset adapter, combined with a 2.5mm->3.5mm cable, mimics the functionality of the XB360 controller's chat jack. It also allows game audio to be piped (with a compatiable headset, and probably without surround), but this is not required. So basically, if the A50 is compatible with the XB360, it should be compatible with the XB1. But perhaps somebody else can verify.

• GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    I have Turtle Beach XP400s and have been very happy with them, and thought the sound quality was very good. I'm not an audiophile by any means but I get good depth and placement from quite a few different games using it, which was after tinkering with its various audio settings for a while. I really like that the chat connector is also wireless so you can keep talking on your headset and leave your controller behind while you walk to the fridge or wherever. Unfortunately it looks like using the chat adapter will require using the direct cable instead of the wireless dongle, but that's better than buying an entirely new one.

• DevinedDevined Registered User new member
    I would like a surround sound/stereo headset that I can use for game audio as well as as a microphone.

I have my eyes on the Turtle Beach XP510.

Couple of questions:

1) Is that the "best" one out there?
    2) Is it compatible with Xbox One, PS4, and PC?
    3) Additionally, can it be used with any of: PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U?
    4) Is it OVER the ear or ON the ear?
    5) Can I use this for audio in lieu of a receiver for audio output from my Xbox One, PS4, PC, and hopefully PS3?
    6) Is it worth 250 bucks?

Thanks for any help. Bottom line: I'd like a damn good headset with a mic. Surround sound is a plus. Compatibility across next gen (including PC) is a must and compatibility across last gen is a plus. I don't have a working receiver right now so I'm looking for this to also solve my console-to-headset issues.

Thoughts?

I had the Logitech G930 wireless headset. It had good quality and battery life. I would run my audio red and white cables into a small adapter that combined them into a single 3.5mm plug, then put that into my line in and set Windows to listen to that device. I never talked to people in game, only on skype, so that wasn't a problem for this set up.

• NijaNija Registered User regular
    I have one of these:
    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/professional-gamer-headset-super-noise-cancellation-pc-350

Seems like it would work for you. They are pretty sturdy, the cord is long and they are comfortable on my ears/head for long periods (although the cushioning does make me sweat a bit).

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • RoyalRoyal Registered User regular
    For PC only I used this. Then I upgraded recently to this one Same thing but it's got an awesome Bluetooth thing.

steam_sig.png
    "What we play is life."
    - Louis Armstrong
    Those Gentlemen Gamers
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

I bought a Siberia Elite V2 about a month ago. It's brilliant.

It's PC/Mac/Mobile only, so no PS4/XBone support (Are there even mics with universal support like that), but the mic retracts into the earpiece like yours, but the pickup is perfect. No problems. It even picks up well (Not great, but well) with the mic fully retracted.

Amazing sound quality, with a feature rich EQ and the volume control is a knob recessed into one of the ear pieces.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    I have one of these:
    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/professional-gamer-headset-super-noise-cancellation-pc-350

Seems like it would work for you. They are pretty sturdy, the cord is long and they are comfortable on my ears/head for long periods (although the cushioning does make me sweat a bit).

I have the Sennheiser PC 360 model and really like them as well in terms of both sound and we arability. However, neither the 350 or the 360 have native support for consoles. I know you can buy 5.1 audio adapters that can also be used to connect them to consoles but those end up costing as much as the damn headsets.

• WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    Are the Sennheiser models noise canceling? I own a pair of PXC 450's and the noise canceling is suboptimal. If I tilt my head a certain way, I hear an irritating buzzing sound. Google says this is an uncommon problem that might be individual-specific (i.e. not a manufacturer defect). As such, it makes me a little wary of buying another Sennheiser headset. Also, the angled offset of the ear cups to the headband doesn't fit me well.

I have been watching this thread intently, because I may need to purchase an entertainment headset soon. I have sold my house and will be moving into an apartment setting with shared walls. Please continue to recommend models. I'd like to buy the right one the first time.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My PC 360 has noise-cancelling for the microphone but not the speakers themselves. And they're open acoustic, but that's fine by me. I live in an apartment and any noise I hear from the neighbors I would hear regardless of the kind of headphones I'm wearing. They do allow me to hear if my girlfriend is asking me a question (although I won't usually know what the actual question was) and the sound doesn't really leak out unless I'm watching something really loud, again according to my girlfriend, who is usually sitting five feet away on her own computer.

They're more comfortable and have even better sound than the last set of headphones I had for my PC, and they seem more durably constructed as well, although I suppose I should own them for a couple more years before I can really attest to their durability compared to my last set.