As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall] Dropping titans like lyrical bombs (XB1/PC now, 360 4/8)

19596979899101»

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    So how does one use cluster missiles in a manner that you're not simply helping the pilot on your back kill you faster?

The same way one would use a blowtorch to remove a spider biting their head. Yeah, you'll burn your head sticking it into the fire, but the spider will die a lot faster than you will.

And it's in no way a perfect pilot remover, but killing them off your titan and taking some damage for it is a lot better than them just killing your titan.
    I don't think cluster missile is as ridiculous as some people claim.
    It's not that it's ridiculously OP or anything, it's that it's too robust in its usefulness. It's good-to-great against virtually everything, while the other ordnance types have decided limitations.

Though if you could manually fire the locking missiles types and control the rocket salvo by how long you hold the ordnance button down, those would probably be good upgrades to improve their utility. The locking missiles don't even work against pilots except if they get in the way, and the rocket salvo is an all-or-nothing spray that frequently wastes damage.

I wish there were unlocks for everything and not just primary weapons. A more-controllable rocket salvo would be nifty.

Yeah, some Assassin's Creed style retooling of the abilities would have been neat.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Some sort of physical shield that could also block punches but doesn't regenerate might be interesting. Hold it up like the vortex shield, but once it's gone, it's gone.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say the biggest thing about Cluster rocket is that hands down its the best anti-pilot ordance too along with being a good anti-titan weapon too.

Slaved and Manual rockets can't target and rocket salvo is too random.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Some sort of physical shield that could also block punches but doesn't regenerate might be interesting. Hold it up like the vortex shield, but once it's gone, it's gone.

A physical shield you can hold up with the ordnance button and then throw after it's shredded would be rad.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I've definitely gotten $60 worth of entertainment from it.

heh, protip: if you've played for at least 12 hours then you've gotten the same entertainment value as going to a movie. Or 6 hours if you took someone else to see the movie. Or 0.45 hours if you took someone else to see the movie and bought popcorn and beverages.

long story short: games are actually pretty cheap as far as hobbies go.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I just checked how much time I have in the game.

It is, uh, considerably more than 12 hours.

Lets just say that I've gotten my $0.69/hour worth out of the game. For the version with the season pass included.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just checked how much time I have in the game.

It is, uh, considerably more than 12 hours.

Lets just say that I've gotten my $0.69/hour worth out of the game. For the version with the season pass included.

Sitting at 117 hours with the Beta, and bought the Season Pass on GMG today for like $18. I'd say by the time I'm finished with this ride, my cost/hr ratio is going to be fractions of a cent.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think the ordinance weapons should have mods like regular weapons to play around with their usefulness in certain situations more.

Also holy crap guys the burst fire 40mm is awful at shooting infantry.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Well, it's fine at shooting them.

Just terrible at killing them.

• Options
    I'm super tired of satchel charges, they need an arming time so they aren't just manually detonated frag grenades that also do more damage. It's especially bad on hardpoint.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    a couple more fine examples in how to leave a battlefield after defeat. bet that cloaked pilot didn't know what hit him*. :P

http://youtu.be/HqSUksRsNdE

*he knows exactly what hit him. TITAN PUNCH!!! :smiley:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I love that map for being able to wall run so high up across the entire map, I once solo killed a titan just raining down mag launcher shots from way above his head and he never once looked up.

Also damage core and triple threat is disgusting. You can drop a full health titan in pretty much one extended mag.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    one thing i figured out that makes grenades a bit nicer is if you're running with a smart pistol it auto locks on them. So you can toss an arc grenade and time shooting it out of the air for more control.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Ugh. I'm tempted to just ignore regen challenges from now on and stay at gen 4. The DMR is such a gigantic piece of shit.

• Options
    I just hit level 50, no way I'm ever regening. It took 10 hours to unlock everything I'm not going to remove it all for more challenges.

sig.gif
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    heh, don't give up BP. Just get the holosight by killing 5 grunts. It quickly becomes pretty great when you can actually kill pilots with it (which the holo makes possible)

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    rocket salvo is too random.
    I thought that the salvo fires in a counter-clockwise order. Up close, it's almost always a direct hit. From a distance, it's a crap shoot, though.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The other thing that weakens the lock on ordinance is that the electric smoke prevents lock on. And guess what the most popular ability is?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    heh, don't give up BP. Just get the holosight by killing 5 grunts. It quickly becomes pretty great when you can actually kill pilots with it (which the holo makes possible)

The sight isn't the issue for me. I just hate using weapons that require me to stand still in Titanfall.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Another day of killing all but one pilot on a team during evac (he ran to the opposite side of the map), another post whining about how lottery-based achievements like "I killed them all" are complete and utter garbage.

Pretty much the only guaranteed ways to pop it are to:

1) Cheat and boost it.
    2) Hope for an uneven matchup where the majority of the opposing team quits during evac, then kill the one or two dudes that stay.

That stupid achievement was so poorly thought out. Sitting at Gen-8 now, and I'm pretty sure I'll break Gen-10 and unlock everything before I get that achievement cleared.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    a couple more fine examples in how to leave a battlefield after defeat. bet that cloaked pilot didn't know what hit him*. :P

http://youtu.be/HqSUksRsNdE

*he knows exactly what hit him. TITAN PUNCH!!! :smiley:

Nothing like ejecting into the drop ship :p
    99onuim2wtfg.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Ejecting into the dropship is easily my favoritest of lazy ways to get into the dropship.

"Climb out of this robot worth millions so I have to run up a 5-foot wall to get in the ship? Screw that. Ejecting!"

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Another day of killing all but one pilot on a team during evac (he ran to the opposite side of the map), another post whining about how lottery-based achievements like "I killed them all" are complete and utter garbage.

Pretty much the only guaranteed ways to pop it are to:

1) Cheat and boost it.
    2) Hope for an uneven matchup where the majority of the opposing team quits during evac, then kill the one or two dudes that stay.

That stupid achievement was so poorly thought out. Sitting at Gen-8 now, and I'm pretty sure I'll break Gen-10 and unlock everything before I get that achievement cleared.
    I managed to get that achievement without even thinking about it. A match ended, and on the way to the evac point I came up behind 2 players and killed them. Then I got to the point, saw 2 people waiting for the ship, and killed them too. Was shocked when the achievement popped till I noticed that there where only 4 people on the enemy team at the end.

So whatever bitching about this game I do (like the fact that I'll probably never get the 'kill an ejecting pilot with the Railgun' achievement) is mitigated by the fact that I at least got lucky once.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I've definitely gotten $60 worth of entertainment from it.

Me too. I'm nearing a dollar an hour in cost for this entertainment which as far as I'm concerned is a phenomenal return.

Edit: Also new thread!

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.