As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me find the best memory for my Motherboard!

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Yay, another computer thread. I wont take too much of your time. :P

I am planning on getting this motherboard for the rig I'm going to build in the summer.

GIGABYTE GA MOBO

Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes

It looks like it gets good reviews and should pair well with the 8800gts I plan to buy. My only problem is that I would like to get the best ram configuration I can for this particular motherboard without spending any more than 300 dollars on memory. My current computer has un-optimized ram and I just generally do not know very much about dual channels and frequency timings.

So, looking on newegg, what is the best way to optimize this board memory wise?

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is the ram I use in my gaming machine. it's awesome and would run fine in that board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dual channel means the optimal RAM configuration is a matched pair of RAM modules.

In all honesty I have not seen anything that 2gigs of RAM could not handle, unless you have some crazy specialty task like professional video editing (perhaps). So, two 1gig modules will work great, and will easily be less than $300. Do not get the ones with ECC, that's an expensive feature you don't need.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    You could also try

The Twice...

Obs on
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Check the Gigabyte website for a pdf version of the motherboard manual of the one you want. ASUS lists memory they have test as compatible with their motherboards in the motherboard manual. Gigabyte may do the same thing. If they do I'd recommend getting your memory off of that list.

Koekjes on