As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yoga for men / beginner's yoga?

TalkaTalka Registered User regular
A doctor recommended I try yoga to deal with some chronic muscle pain in back and my ribs.

If I'm honest, I'm a little self-conscious about going to a yoga class as 1) a man, and 2) someone who is super inflexible and knows zero about yoga.

Anyone have experience with yoga and care to put my overanxious mind at ease? Is it easy to sign up for a yoga class--solo, as a guy, knowing nothing--and still have a good time?

I strongly suspect the answer is an unqualified yes, but just hearing it will help motivate me to make this happen.

Also, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Am I supposed to bring my own yoga mat, for instance? What do I wear? That kind of thing.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yes. I had no problems doing so.

What you need to bring depends on the place you end up doing yoga at, make your first trip there just to scope the place out, not necessarily do any yoga. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need to bring.

You should wear baggy clothing that you do not mind sweating in that will not impede your full range of movement (sweat pants and a t-shirt, for example).

You may want to bring some water for after or during, depending on how long the class is.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The only thing holding you back is your "as a man" thinking.

Get over that. Wear comfy clothes. If you are that worried about it, you will most likely be not the only man there, but you probably be the one who is the most uncomfortable with his masculinity.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I do yoga as a man, there are more men in the class than women. that wasn't always the case, but now it is(how am I supposed to meet ladies there?!). all I wear is a normal shirt/sleeveless and my usual workout shorts, which are basketball shorts. the first few classes you probably will not be able to do the exercises very well, but don't force it and you will become more comfortable with them.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Just lending another voice to the support. I just started taking yoga classes (I too signed up by myself) maybe three months ago, and I'm a man. I'm also probably in the situation you foresee that has you squinked out, wherein you are the only guy in the class. So, I'll tell you, it's not a thing if that's what you're worried about - no one is going to care if you're the only dude (creepers notwithstanding, but that's a creeper issue, not a man issue). I added a yoga practice to my usual weight/cardio routine and seriously am liking the stretching and flexibility that has come along with it.

My tips as a beginner:
    • As mentioned, loose fitting clothes for sure. I go the sweatpant/light t-shirt route, which is what my instructor recommended too.
    • A lot of places will have mats, blocks, straps and blankets you can use, but you'd hate to assume. The place I go has mats, but I'm a pretty tall and also bony dude, so I went out and got a longer/slightly thicker mat. But either call or scout it out ahead of time, let them know it's your first time and see if you need to bring anything.
    • I'd also recommend showing up a little early or talking to the instructor ahead of time - just to get familiar. Mine talked a little bit with me up front to find out what my goals were (if any) and to find out if I had any physical limitations. In my class we have folks with bad knees, bum shoulders, all sorts of stuff. She suggests altered/modified poses to folks when she knows they can't do something.
    • You're gonna feel awkward. You'll get over that once you get a few classes under your belt.
    • You're just starting, so don't be hard on yourself if you don't quite understand what you're supposed to do (is my butt too high in the air? what do you mean rotate your pelvis down? Do I even bend that way?). Your instructor will help. Let them.
    • Focus on the breathing. They'll talk about that, but at least remember to breathe. Sounds dumb, but it's easy to forget when this leg is over here and stretch my arm which way now?
    • Don't overdo it. It's not competitive and it shouldn't ever be actually painful (though the next day it might. You'll wind up using muscles you didn't know existed).
    • Like Inquisitor said, bring water for afterward and drink it. Staying hydrated will prevent cramping.

Give it a few classes. Your first couple might be just you getting used to the room, the motions, the people. I sort of wanted to quit after my second class because I was uncomfortable and my balance wasn't as good as I thought it was supposed to be and woe is meeeee I'm awkward and this is turrrrble. You get over that. I can only tell you to trust me on this.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    It's totally no big deal to do yoga as a dude. The first few classes can be kind of rough, regardless of gender. Try to start at a place with not too many people in the class... I started at a McYoga place and it was pretty daunting. I did a lot wrong and was constantly looking around to see what I should be doing and stuff. Nobody cared and it wasn't a big problem, but my first few classes were more stressful than they needed to be.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    We've got yoga classes targeted at non-yoga people. I think it's called "Average Joe-ga." Could look for one of those entry level things.

What to wear: wear webbed shorts and supportive underwear. The first time I did pilates I ended up flashing my balls at the instructor.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    Another voice chiming in to say don't worry about it. I haven't done a huge amount of yoga, but what I have done I've enjoyed. Not a big deal at all (I'm also not terribly flexible, for the record; yoga will help fix that).

Also, get ready. Yoga's hard, man.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThunderSaidThunderSaid Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    The only thing holding you back is your "as a man" thinking.

Get over that. Wear comfy clothes. If you are that worried about it, you will most likely be not the only man there, but you probably be the one who is the most uncomfortable with his masculinity.

Is there a reason you're being mean to this guy?

As a guy who has participated in various classes/activities that are "for women" (e.g. yoga, crochet classes, jewelry-making courses) I can tell you that some women react to guys in "their space" just like some guys react to women in "their space," so this is not an unreasonable apprehension. If Talka were a woman who was nervous about joining a local strongman club, would you be dishing out this crap?

Anyway, Talka, just look around for a yoga studio that offers a beginner class that's convenient for you. Go there in person to sign up and talk to the person at the desk to find out what you need to bring, as this will vary from studio to studio. I would recommend wearing loose fitting athletic wear, like you would to go to the gym. In the class, be polite and attentive, and try your best. Even if you feel a little awkward at first, the feeling will fade as the class moves forward. You'll feel much more comfortable by the second class, and you'll really look forward to the third. (Or, it's possible you'll find out you hate yoga. That's OK too, but I'd say stick it out for a while anyway, because it's good for you)

Good luck. I hope you enjoy the yoga and it helps you out with the back and rib issues.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Don't be self concious about it, no one there is going to judge you for doing yoga, or how well you do it, because they've all been there and know that it can be a lot more challenging than people give it credit for.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    We've got yoga classes targeted at non-yoga people. I think it's called "Average Joe-ga." Could look for one of those entry level things.

What to wear: wear webbed shorts and supportive underwear. The first time I did pilates I ended up flashing my balls at the instructor.

I highly recommend getting a pair of compression short to avoid this sort of thing if you wear shorts instead of sweats, or even if you just wear sweats the support helps.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking of getting into yoga as well to see about improving my flexibility and help with losing weight. I've been going to classes for Haidong Gumdo but think I might start doing yoga at home on some off days to help supplement. I've heard good things about the DDP yoga if you're wanting to try something at home but otherwise there's some great advice given with regards to classes.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    I went to a yoga class at work. Spoke to the instructor about my conditions and had them let me know which moves would be bad for me. (This was after abdominal surgery, so torso twisting was very bad, but many of the other poses were fine)

We also spoke to the local instructors and found one that was willing to teach inside our home. That might be something to pursue as well.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    you might look for a Theraputic Yoga class, that is pretty much starting at zero with the assumption you have an injury or condition... etc.

I used to do yoga back in the day.. then got lazy, fast forward a decade and many injuries,... I am in a therapeutic yoga class... while I am the only guy... I am 2 to three decades younger than the women I am in class with..... (I am 41 years old)...

in short, get over it, and go to it, it will help

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Don't be self concious about it, no one there is going to judge you for doing yoga, or how well you do it, because they've all been there and know that it can be a lot more challenging than people give it credit for.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I highly recommend getting a pair of compression short to avoid this sort of thing if you wear shorts instead of sweats, or even if you just wear sweats the support helps.

yeah I wear a tight thigh length under armor underwear and gym shorts for this very reason...

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I actually been doing DDP Yoga for a couple of months and I would definitely recommend it. For me it was more of a time commitment issue (Easier to squeeze in a session at home than heading to a class) but I remember feeling the same awkwardness the first time I visited a yoga class, which luckily it goes away.

I did some research on DDP Yoga before purchasing the discs and the common consensus was that it's on the up and up. It can be a little bro tastic sometimes, but I'll admit that DDP energy can be infectious. More importantly the workouts are varied (Some target weight loss, there's a core workout, there's one only standing up, etc), and the videos are easy to follow and always showing a modification stance to make the move easier.

Really can't recommend it enough if you're looking for an at home option.

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Have you lost a lot of weight, Ky? About how long is the typical workout, and do you need a 'yoga mat'? or can it be done on like a hard surface like the floor of a computer room?

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    I'd get a mat, if you are new to it, you WILL get sweaty, because it is really hard. a yoga block is not a terrible idea either. some poses you just wont be able to do all the way to the floor at first.

If you are anything like me, you will get really frustrated at Yoga. i did P90X and it was brutal. the video was like 90 minutes long, i finally made it past minute 40 and the guy says "ok, now we are going to do some more challenging stuff" i think i flipped off the TV and laid on the mat for about 20 minutes. I'd get a video if i were you, just to get in the swing of things, i don't think yoga instructors appreciate being cursed at in class. also, don't worry about doing the video to the letter the first time. They will have you transition poses and you aren't really in a position to look at the TV.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Man here (and 3-year serious yoga student).

Normally I'd advise someone start with a video, either DVD or YouTube, just to run through some poses and get a feel for them. Only do this if you feel like you can try an exercise routine without hurting yourself, though, since a video can't offer modifications or correct your posture. You'll make progress fast, but be alright with awkwardness as it comes.

Look around for studios in your area and find a beginner's class. These will generally be more slow-paced than a 'flow' or 'power yoga' class. Arrive a few minutes early so you can talk to the instructor and just explain what medical issues you have and that it's your first time.

Part of the practice is knowing when not to push yourself. It is always encouraged to take a resting pose if you start to feel over-exerted.

Most studios will have mats available for you to use. Wear loose clothing; sweats and a t-shirt would be fine. If you wear something like basketball shorts, think about wearing boxer briefs of the same color to avoid showing more skin than you might prefer.

• Options
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Have you lost a lot of weight, Ky? About how long is the typical workout, and do you need a 'yoga mat'? or can it be done on like a hard surface like the floor of a computer room?

I have, though I mainly been doing it to improve my flexibility and strenght (for climbing). In those departments I have definately noticed a good improvement.

The program is divided into different workouts (Lower body, balance, strenght, core, weight loss, best of, etc) and the lenght varies from 15 minutes to an hour, with most being around 25-30 minutes. That's actually what I love about it. I can do short workouts when on my running or climbing days, but I can also combine two or three, or do the longer ones on days I'm not doing anything else.

As TL DR mentioned, mats are really necessary. Your instinct might be to get a cheap one, but I made that mistake and found myself upgrading to a nicer one once I realized I kept slipping on my cheap mat. Save your self some headache.

Really, anyway you go about it, I can't recommend almost any time of yoga enough. There's tons of varied practices and I generally feel great after doing any session.

Also, I think a lot of gyms offer yoga classes with their membership, which from my experience are really beginner friendly.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I use a $20 mat that I got from Target and it's fine. A towel on carpet would be ok in a pinch, but less 'grippy' and maybe harder on the knees.

As an aside, 'yoga' is kind of a catch-all term to a degree. There are really two components which are the postures/movement and the breath/mind. The word yoga means 'union' and the idea is to combine physical exercise with mindfulness meditation. Any exercise is good, but especially if it's for medical purposes it's important to pay attention to the mindfulness aspect. Cultivating body awareness can do a surprising amount for avoiding injury and becoming more able to recognize things like bad posture.

• Options
    It probably depends how much you sweat. I sweat a lot (half the time it looks like I went swimming in my shirt) so I need grippier mats.

Tangebly related, but you're seemingly not alone in thinking that yoga is for me OP. I run a meetup group and set up an outdoor yoga session. In most of my events (happy hours, hikes, random stuff) the ratio of men to women swings wildly towards men, but this one the women outnumber the men by a huge ratio.

• Options
    Greggy88Greggy88 Registered User regular
    It's trial and error to find a yoga class that isn't, in fact, a women's yoga class where your presence will not be welcome. They are out there, but you need to work to find them.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

I dunno about where you live, but in a city of 300k here (London, Ontario) there are dozens of yoga studios or places that offer Yoga. Just go, ask about beginner's yoga and if they have classes for guys. If not, don't do hot yoga to start, get in on something simple. Take a bottle of water and rent a mat for a buck. If you're worried about it, stare at the walls. That's basically what I did when I went with my wife.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Greggy88 wrote: »
    It's trial and error to find a yoga class that isn't, in fact, a women's yoga class where your presence will not be welcome. They are out there, but you need to work to find them.

Eh, most classes I've been to are mixed. As long as you're not leering at the women, no one really cares. Most people are just there to get their namaste on, so as long as you're not interrupting that, no biggie.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    I would have to second DDP yoga. If you are worried about doing yoga in public, it eases that by being an at home deal, it's easy to follow, not particularly challenging, but at the same time after 20-30 minutes you will no doubt be tired out/sweaty, etc.

This discussion has been closed.