As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there a chance of Okami coming to the Wii?

TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
The last game that interests me from the GC/PS2 era and that I have yet to play for the PS2 is Okami. Other than that I'm all set to move on to the next gen and leave last one behind, as I've already played everything else that interests me on the GC and PS2. A while ago (before Clover was killed by Capcom) there were rumors of Okami possibly coming to the Wii and taking advantage of the Wiimote, which would obviously suit the game very well. But now that Clover is no more, I was wondering if someone here, who is perhaps more informed on the subject matter, could tell me if there is still a chance that the game will someday be released for the Wii or that that possibility has completely vanished along with Clover? And if there still is a chance, how big would it be?

I'm asking because if it will forever remain PS2-exclusive than I'm keeping my PS2 for a little while longer so I can play this game, but otherwise I'm selling my PS2 today and will just wait for the Wii release.

Any input is appreciated.

Tingle on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    This might be off-topic, but a lot of re-releases coming for the Wii. Fairly big-name ones too like RE4. Is this coincidence or just third-parties seeing the Wii's popularity and scrambling to take advantage?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd say there is a chance, but not a very big one, as Clover completely dissolved after the PAL port of Okami, I believe. It would make a lot of sense to me to port it to the Wii, and Capcom is fond of ports, and I'm pretty sure it's their property, so who knows? I'd hold onto your PS2 for a while yet though. Besides, the game plays great on the PS2.

Noray on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    pigs will fly.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why the need to get rid of the PS2 anyhow? You won't ever come back to some of the great games, or find new ones you may have missed? Will you even get much cash for selling it in the first place?

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Capcom does still own the IP, so it's pheasable at least.

On a side note. You have played God Hand right? if not, there is still 2 games you need your PS2 for.

LewieP on
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Synapse wrote: »
    Why the need to get rid of the PS2 anyhow? You won't ever come back to some of the great games, or find new ones you may have missed? Will you even get much cash for selling it in the first place?
    Ever heard of the PS3? It's backwards compatible you know.

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Why the need to get rid of the PS2 anyhow?
    Well there's no point in keeping it around if it's just gonna sit there collecting dust, is there?
    You won't ever come back to some of the great games,
    I thought about that, and the only game I found that I may want to come back to in the future and that isn't available elsewhere is Soul Calibur III. But since SC IV is already announced, that will probably still my hunger. Other than that, I can't imagine one I'd want to play all over again. I'm one of those people that'd rather play something new than play the same games over and over again.
    or find new ones you may have missed?
    I've done thorough research and found that, as I said:
    Tingle wrote: »
    I've already played everything else that interests me on the GC and PS2.

Will you even get much cash for selling it in the first place?
    Well I didn't pay that much for it in the first place so I don't nee to get a whole lot back for it to make it worthwile.

Tingle on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/764/764007p1.html

Meh. I don't see it happening, but if it does, cool, I guess.

Elendil on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In an interview with one of the developers of Okami, it was stated that Okami was an action-game at heart, well-tooled for the dual-analog setup. They stated that what elements people thought were intuitive for the Wii were, in fact, not a large enough focus to justify porting it. And I'm glad, because unless a developer is going to change a game specifically to take advantage of the Wii's capabilities, I'd rather they didn't even bother.

In fact, the entire article (I think it may have been in EGM) seemed to portray the developers as incredibly intelligent people who knew that you couldn't just slap Wii-mote controls in your game and actually expect to change the world.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The funniest thing about Okami are the idiots that used to say "port to the DS!" It's as if they didn't realise how god-damn ugly it would be on it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The funniest thing about Okami are the idiots that used to say "port to the DS!" It's as if they didn't realise how god-damn ugly it would be on it.

See Viewtiful Joe.

LewieP on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They should make a Wii version you control with the DS.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How did Okami sell anyway?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Not very well, I presume, given the entire dev team was disbanded shortly after its release.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Illyria wrote: »

That's not really the strongest point to be arguing right now.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No. Okami didn't sell well.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Isn't there already an action-adventure-ish game on the Wii where you play as a guy that turns into a wolf?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the main reason you are seeing an RE4 port is that the Wii still uses GC type code (from what I understand). So it is easy to go between them. Okami was Ps2 only, and on top of that was probably coded pretty heavy to make it so pretty on that system. So I bet a port would be very hard.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Isn't there already an action-adventure-ish game on the Wii where you play as a guy that turns into a wolf?
    Man, I thought there was one, but I dunno

Probably some rip-off shit or something

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Undo it. Undo it now!

LewieP on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Are you sure? A lot of people I know have asked me about it, which is not very common for games in general. Also (and more importantly), when I bought the game at its launch, I couldn't find it for about a week after it came out, because it was selling out everywhere I went.

Ballman on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not a chance. Just play it on the PS2 and enjoy.

Renzo on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Ballman wrote: »

Are you sure? A lot of people I know have asked me about it, which is not very common for games in general. Also (and more importantly), when I bought the game at its launch, I couldn't find it for about a week after it came out, because it was selling out everywhere I went.

I think the case was that Okami did very poorly in Japan, therefore Capcom made no effort to market it in the US nor did they go to any effort to print a sizable quantity at release here in the States. Internally over at Capcom, Clover's fate was already sealed before Okami even released in our region.

So with very little expectations from Capcom, a small printing, very little marketing, and the disbanding of Clover, the game became hard to find.

It's almost like Capcom never cared for the title to begin with.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »

I think the case was that Okami did very poorly in Japan, therefore Capcom made no effort to market it in the US nor did they go to any effort to print a sizable quantity at release here in the States. Internally over at Capcom, Clover's fate was already sealed before Okami even released in our region.

So with very little expectations from Capcom, a small printing, very little marketing, and the disbanding of Clover, the game became hard to find.

Hm. That's a shame, because it's a really good game. And not even completely in the niche-title way. I mean, the gameplay and presentation are comparable to a lot of AAA titles that get hyped to the ceiling.

Ballman on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yep.

That plus the game's huge budget sealed Clover's fate. It's a huge shame.

Just curious, is the game hard to find in the U.S. now?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jandaru wrote: »

Why not?

Are you saying the choice between keeping an existing console with a huge catalog of games and spending $600 on a new console to play those same games is somehow not equal?

Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

Oh, wait... that's what I'm saying, too. Keep your PS2, man. Why get rid of it? You can keep it and get Okami NOW, instead of waiting and risking being disappointed. You've been a good boy, you deserve the delicious treat that is Okami.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Why not?

Are you saying the choice between keeping an existing console with a huge catalog of games and spending $600 on a new console to play those same games is somehow not equal?

Oh, wait... that's what I'm saying, too. Keep your PS2, man. Why get rid of it? You can keep it and get Okami NOW, instead of waiting and risking being disappointed. You've been a good boy, you deserve the delicious treat that is Okami.

Europe

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

Why not?

Europe

Hey, remember "The Final Countdown?" That song is great.

As far as I know, Europe wasn't mentioned. Is the OP living somewhere in Europe, where the compatibility would be a bigger argument than the even-larger price tag of the PS3?

I was just making the point that telling someone to just get a PS3 because it can still play their PS2 games is like telling someone to blow $600US on something just to use things you can already use just fine. It's so very like that.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Why not?

Europe

Yup. I bought another PS2 about a month ago, and people were all "what the hell, why not just wait until the PS3 comes out?"
    "Uh, because it costs about twelve times what I paid for this PS2, and as it turns out won't play most of my PS2 games anyway."

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

Hm. That's a shame, because it's a really good game. And not even completely in the niche-title way. I mean, the gameplay and presentation are comparable to a lot of AAA titles that get hyped to the ceiling.

I remember it getting amazing reviews in some of the magazines I was reading.

But yeah, to the OP, don't bother waiting for a Wii port that will most likely never come out. The game is amazing, if a little long in the tooth, on the PS2. Brush strokes are suprisingly easy with the analog stick, and using the wiimote pointer really wouldn't bring anything new or different to the game.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Why not?

Europe

Hey, remember "The Final Countdown?" That song is great.

As far as I know, Europe wasn't mentioned. Is the OP living somewhere in Europe, where the compatibility would be a bigger argument than the even-larger price tag of the PS3?

I was just making the point that telling someone to just get a PS3 because it can still play their PS2 games is like telling someone to blow $600US on something just to use things you can already use just fine. It's so very like that.

If I recall correctly, even in the US, Okami was one of the games that had issues playing on the PS3. No sound, if I remember, along with graphical glitches.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Not very well, I presume, given the entire dev team was disbanded shortly after its release.

thats not why it was disbanded.

key players of clover left capcom to make their own studio. Clover was nothing without them so capcom decided to just absorb the workfoce back into fold rather then try to save it.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It might be a good thing Okami didn't do so well here. I lost like two weeks of my life to that game. Literally.

Work -> Okami -> Sleep -> Repeat

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    i am really enjoying okami

bongi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »

key players of clover left capcom to make their own studio. Clover was nothing without them so capcom decided to just absorb the workfoce back into fold rather then try to save it.

Uh, it seems to me everyone left to form Seeds about a month after Clover was disbanded.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »

Uh, it seems to me everyone left to form Seeds about a month after Clover was disbanded.

a company doesn't form over night.. they left way before clover was disbanded.

quote from bellfield "What actually happened is Mikami-san, Kamiya-san and Inaba-san chose to leave the company and do something else and the rest of the Clover team was just incorporated back into the rest of Capcom's development talent pool."

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

It got in last place in Next-Gen's 100 top-selling games of 2006 with 200,000 copies sold, and sold about 60,000 copies in Japan. In other words, not very well. That said, I couldn't blame Capcom for trying to recoup their investment on the game by porting it to the Wii - and if they fix the popup issues, I'd buy it at full retail price again.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Honestly, now that I think about it, releasing it now, on the Wii, with it's extremely limited library, it would stand out a hell of a lot more, and probably get a hell of a lot more sales.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    okami was like a bad version of zelda, so I was so excited for twilight princess to come out.

and then that was a bad version of zelda too. D;

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Such was Clover's fate, their games went from awesome to dangerously awesome. Too awesome for them to be allowed to live.

Viewtiful Joe
    Okami
    God Hand

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish