As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Turns out when you whole planet needs a cigarette it does bad things to space time, who knew?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Slaanesh was made when the Eldar blew a hole open in the galaxy to the warp via sheer hedonism

which was not during the horus heresy

Yeah the birth of Slaanesh is what actually ended the warp storms that were causing the Age of Strife

I thought it was more that the birth of slaanesh was the cause of the warp storms that caused the age of strife, so basically 10 millenias of unholy birthing labour.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    One thing that has kinda bothered me so far is how little Nurgle's influence in the Horus Heresy is. The ONLY time he has been felt was in The Flight of the Eisenstein when the life eater virus gets unleashed in the hold of the ship and Garro barely escapes before the bulkhead slams shut. Later in the warp the marines and crew who were trapped and get up and start hunting across the ship while its in warp.

Slaanesh has a pretty big foothold. Mind whammied Fulgrum and the entire legion. In turn has caused Fulgrum to kill a primarch and nearly killed a second before turning in a daemon prince. Lucius gets killed by a Raven and is reborn in Fabulous Bile's lab. Oh...and Fabulous Bile. Erebus looks like a school boy to this mad scientist.

Zeech has completely removed the warps biggest enemy from the board by manipulating Horus to cause Russ to change his mission from "chastise and imprison" Magnus to "Burn the entire planet to the ground and chew on Magnus' bones!" And while not directly referenced he is probably the initial driving force in turning Horus to All Chaos.

Khorne - BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!! Logar in a misguided effort to save his brother from a slow death decides to turn him into a prince in the middle of a battlefield with the Ultramarines and their Titan Legio. Angron appears to have died and Logar takes a few Warhound plasma blasts to the face and the only thing that saves him is his "faith" forming a shield that just leaves him covered in burns. Before a Titan can crush him like a bug Angron BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD's the Titan by catching the foot and knocking it over. Psychic backlash makes the World Eaters even more crazed and he proceeds to backhand Robot Girlyman into a full retreat. Angron's soul is consumed and now he just wants Kharn to goto the serf levels of the ship and take 300 skulls and build him a throne.

Granted the Deathguard haven't quite made an impact yet but damn...Nurgle needs to get off his ass and actual start stirring the space aids infused shit already in the Heresy.

*Edit Bonus*
    Here is Fabulous Bile and his pimp cane of death
    FabulousBile.jpg

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Maybe Grandfather Nurgle doesn't need to act, because the Imperium is doing a good enough job on its own turning planets into rancid shitpiles full of disease and pollution

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Slaanesh was made when the Eldar blew a hole open in the galaxy to the warp via sheer hedonism

which was not during the horus heresy

Yeah the birth of Slaanesh is what actually ended the warp storms that were causing the Age of Strife

I thought it was more that the birth of slaanesh was the cause of the warp storms that caused the age of strife, so basically 10 millenias of unholy birthing labour.

Both. The warp was unstable due to the Eldar slowly, unknowingly creating Slaanesh. When Slaanesh became sentient, it's birth scream blew out the warp storms and turned the Eldar home worlds into the Eye of Terror.

All of the chaos gods can be traced to psychic presences changing the nature of the warp. Before the war with the Necrotyr and the Old Ones, there were no demons or Chaos Gods. When the Enslavers (floaty brain things) showed up, they became a plague on all psykers, and only the birth of the chaos gods quenched that threat.
    Theoretically though, because there is no direct connection with spacetime in the warp, the Chaos Gods have theoretically existed forever depending on how you look at it.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ah, Nurgle actually played the biggest role, did he not, by creating the zombie plague on the moon where Horus got injured. Without Horus getting injured there and being put into a spiritual journey of wackiness while he healed, we wouldn't have had Horus turning at all.

• Options
    Ah, Nurgle actually played the biggest role, did he not, by creating the zombie plague on the moon where Horus got injured. Without Horus getting injured there and being put into a spiritual journey of wackiness while he healed, we wouldn't have had Horus turning at all.

Horus was already being twisted by Erebus and Logar's machinations before that, wasn't he?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Horus was already being twisted by Erebus and Logar's machinations before that, wasn't he?

He was being made more pliable by them, but the anathema wound and the following fever-dream in The Warp is what pushed him over the edge for good.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Tzeentch best Chaos God circa your soul will be studied in a retroactive eternity

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Nurgle seems like kinda the most subtle of the chaos gods.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nurgle seems like kinda the most subtle of the chaos gods.

Nurgle's the 'nice' one.

He wants his followers to be long-lived and happy. Of course, his definition of both involves a certain amount of horrible plagues and undying agony, but compared to the other 3, that makes him pleasant by comparison.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the best god is Necoho

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'd forgotten about him. I once thought about making an army of scientist philosopher types out of flagellants who were followers of him. Which is entirely against the point, but that's why I like him, he's a crazy paradox.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've got a soft spot for Cegorach, because he knows the score and he's the only one who goes toe-to-toe with Slaanesh on a regular basis, and wins

and I like that Khaela Mensha Kaine was a capricious, piece of shit asshole before being riven by slaanesh

he was full of himself and believed that there is glory in combat and that is why he fell

and that's what war is all about

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the best god is Necoho

Necoho? I don't believe he exists.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I've always wished that the tabletop would get a robust video game implementation, because I love the gameplay and the lore but I can't really be fussed to paint all the minis and stand around a game store all day on a weekend

I assume GW would never do that because they're afraid to bite tabletop sales, though

really what I want is a full conversion of necromunda, which I feel like should be easy because come on x-com is right fucking there just make it already

ed: although huh, they're making a mordheim conversion eh? Guess we'll see what form it ultimately takes

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I've always wished that the tabletop would get a robust video game implementation, because I love the gameplay and the lore but I can't really be fussed to paint all the minis and stand around a game store all day on a weekend

I assume GW would never do that because they're afraid to bite tabletop sales, though

really what I want is a full conversion of necromunda, which I feel like should be easy because come on x-com is right fucking there just make it already

ed: although huh, they're making a mordheim conversion eh? Guess we'll see what form it ultimately takes

Combine Dawn of War with Magic The Gathering Online.

You purchase your units through micro-transactions and paint them with a character creator similar to the Space Marine Multiplayer which then exports your army into maps built in the DOW engine and calculates defense stats and such on the fly.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    A shit one given the recent GW video games. But then again, it could be a 'it's good but I wish it wasn't so bad' game.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Say what you will about Blood Bowl the video game, but if you ignore basically everything the dev added besides the base game, you have a decent way to play online.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Blood Bowl isn't recent in my opinion. Also, best GW video game, in my heart at least.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Best 40k GW video game for me was Chaos Gate, because of its use of ominous music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt1M8iZNHpQ

Just fitted the game so well.

I also liked Rites of War that was such a fun game but I can't get it to work on my pc anymore.

• Options

He was being made more pliable by them, but the anathema wound and the following fever-dream in The Warp is what pushed him over the edge for good.

Yeah, but what I mean was, his fall was inevitable. the brief meet and greet thanks to the chaos cult's sorcery simply accelerated it.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Yeah, but what I mean was, his fall was inevitable. the brief meet and greet thanks to the chaos cult's sorcery simply accelerated it.

Nothing is inevitable in-universe (there are certain out-of-universe inevitabilities because we have a pretty detailed history of those events from the 40K era). In one of the Dan Abnett HH books (I think it was the Alpha Legion one), the elder alien cartel had seen three futures, one where Horus won (causing a quick Imperium collapse and a relatively fast recovery), one where the Emperor won (slow and brutal war decimating the entire galaxy), and the worst possible one, where they basically killed each other (resulting in a horrible future where the Imperium starts brutalizing its own people and creates a festering ground for chaos over the course of 10,000 years and an effectively endless war).

Guess which one happened? But honestly, in 40K there really isn't destiny other than what is written down by the game designers. Prophesy is, and always has been, fickle. The worst things happen in 40K because that's the conceit of the storyline, not because they were specifically predestined in-universe.

• Options

Nothing is inevitable in-universe (there are certain out-of-universe inevitabilities because we have a pretty detailed history of those events from the 40K era). In one of the Dan Abnett HH books (I think it was the Alpha Legion one), the elder alien cartel had seen three futures, one where Horus won (causing a quick Imperium collapse and a relatively fast recovery), one where the Emperor won (slow and brutal war decimating the entire galaxy), and the worst possible one, where they basically killed each other (resulting in a horrible future where the Imperium starts brutalizing its own people and creates a festering ground for chaos over the course of 10,000 years and an effectively endless war).

Guess which one happened? But honestly, in 40K there really isn't destiny other than what is written down by the game designers. Prophesy is, and always has been, fickle. The worst things happen in 40K because that's the conceit of the storyline, not because they were specifically predestined in-universe.

One thing I like they are doing in The Horus Heresy with Alpha Legion
    They show that Alpha is 100% on board with Team Horus. He turns his entire legion because he feels the quick death of humanity is more merciful than 10k years of futile suffering.

Omega on the other hand even before the end game has started is laying the ground work for him and the Alpha Legion marines loyal to him to betray not only Horus but the rest of Alpha Legion in an effort to destroy their betrayal if he decides they've gone to far and the plan has failed.

Add into what happens between Roboute and Alpha/Omega after the Heresy. You are left with the unanswered question. Did one of the twins die in the fight with the Primarch of the Ultramarines? And if one did...which one. The betrayer or the one secretly loyal.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Alpha Legion speculation:
    I'm still kind of iffy on how there were twins. Why would the Emperor create a set of twins to lead a legion, when he specifically was creating individual primarchs. That sounds like the kind of thing that would be controlled. And to me, it sounds more like "Wow, wouldn't it be really cool if the twist was they were twins!"

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Alpha Legion speculation:
    I'm still kind of iffy on how there were twins. Why would the Emperor create a set
    of twins to lead a legion, when he specifically was creating individual primarchs. That sounds like the kind of thing that would be controlled. And to me, it sounds more like "Wow, wouldn't it be really cool if the twist was they were twins!"
    It's been suggested that the creation of twin primarchs was an accident, and that not even the Emperor knows the truth.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Best chaos god is Malal.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Ok, we going to do this DH pbp thing? Cause watching that video Weaver posted REALLY makes me wanna play.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'd also be down for a DH pbp thing.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

Combine Dawn of War with Magic The Gathering Online.

You purchase your units through micro-transactions and paint them with a character creator similar to the Space Marine Multiplayer which then exports your army into maps built in the DOW engine and calculates defense stats and such on the fly.

I'm saying, right? It seems so obvious

although I don't really like RTS games; turned based 40k or gtfo

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    If we're talking 40k game ideas.

Can we please get Eugene to do Wargame: 40k already?

It's all I want.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    From Software Presents...

Gaunt's Ghosts.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Relic Space Marine 2, please.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Relic Space Marine 2:Sister's of Battle, please.

But seriously, a Sister's of Battle game would not only star a Female protagonist, but also you could do the most ridiculous ramping up power curve ever. We are talking Zone of Ender's style stake raising.

From normal Sister fighting...let's say Nid's, to the normal forces of Chaos to full on Chaos space marines and getting overwhelmed to Bloodletter's to WHOOPS YOU'RE A LIVING SAINT NOW, GO FORTH, AND FIGHT GREATER CHAOS DAEMON.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    This would also be acceptable.

EDIT; providing we find out what happened to Captain Titus.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I want a game where Titus joins the deathwatch.

Or Space Marine : Grey Knight.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oh shit it's @Karl

how you doing son!

• Options
    There needs to be a game based on the Ciaphas Cain books.

so I can finally experience them without dropping $texas on books.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I don't know about this Knight stuff
    The troops are fuckin pricy at any rate, though the truck could be really cool and the knights themselves have potential