As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I really wish WH40k would take the Genre to a whole to level. I really hope that a company like relic would let the WH40K genre evolve to the next level in the media game genre to let WH40K become a dominate theme. An inquisitor genre would replace COD, an Inquisitor game would replace hitman, and a game like DMC would replace Eisenhorn as an genre stronghold fore the grere would emerge to create a new evaluation for the genre. WH40K has such a strong mythos for the genre that it could become a new Staple for the game genre pretty easilly if MLG and others would accept it.

In the Grim Darkness (TM) of 2014, Warhammer 40,000 is of somewhat limited general appeal. The very nature of its antiheroic, antivillainous conflicts guarantees that broader audiences aren't generally going to go for it. People like to root for good guys; in 40K, if the good guys don't get killed by the second act, they'll become bad guys by the third.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I really wish WH40k would take the Genre to a whole to level. I really hope that a company like relic would let the WH40K genre evolve to the next level in the media game genre to let WH40K become a dominate theme. An inquisitor genre would replace COD, an Inquisitor game would replace hitman, and a game like DMC would replace Eisenhorn as an genre stronghold fore the grere would emerge to create a new evaluation for the genre. WH40K has such a strong mythos for the genre that it could become a new Staple for the game genre pretty easilly if MLG and others would accept it.

In the Grim Darkness (TM) of 2014, Warhammer 40,000 is of somewhat limited general appeal. The very nature of its antiheroic, antivillainous conflicts guarantees that broader audiences aren't generally going to go for it. People like to root for good guys; in 40K, if the good guys don't get killed by the second act, they'll become bad guys by the third.

Bjorn disagrees

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    guant's ghost HBO series

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Humanity is the bad guys in the WH40k.

Someone destroy the golden throne so the emperor can return and save us from damnation.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    New still from The Lord Inquisitor

iK7IXxb.jpg

Man I love that still, but I hope they know that they're going to get a C&D from GW, especially because they're in Germany.

• Options
    The story is written by a Black Library author and since it's not a commercial production GW has OK'd it.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    The story is written by a Black Library author and since it's not a commercial production GW has OK'd it.

Interesting. The whole reason Damnatus was C&D'd was because IP law in Germany gives the rights to people who create stuff, which would have meant that they could make 40k merch as Damnatus merch. I wonder what changed.

• Options
    Of course neither party posted full details of whatever the agreement they came to was, but they've got Aaron Dembski-Bowden on script.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Someone destroy the golden throne so the emperor can return and save us from damnation.

Everybody's the bad guy in 40K.

Including the Emperor.

...Okay, maybe not the Salamanders.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Everybody's the bad guy in 40K.

Including the Emperor.

...Okay, maybe not the Salamanders.

You could also argue the wolves. Just look what happened after Armageddon when the Inquisition's plan for the surviving populous became known.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so

a while back Fantasy Flight Games released a game called Relic

which is basically Talisman 2.0 in the WH40k universe

still, the game had some issues - randomness played too big a part, and you never knew if you were gonna have a great time or slug through it

but they recently released an expansion, Nemesis, that lets you play as one of the enemies of the Imperium, thus adding PvP and alliances into the mix and improving the core mechanics substantially

if you like Talisman I really recommend checking it out, it's great

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've a soft spot of Tau being unambiguously good (ok, maybe a little bit ambiguous). And even with most of the stuff they've done they are still miles ahead of other game factions.

My Tau armies fluff is that the Tau have taken a imperial world and instigated sweeping social reforms and freedom. Of course, this being 40k, there's no way that could ever bite the Tau in the ass.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The Tau are merciful if you don't mind becoming a second or third class citizen in their empire. But they would not be above burning a world if it posed a threat to the Tau hierarchy...I mean 'The Greater Good'. In fact the only reason the Imperium even tolerates the Xenos scum so close to their worlds is the fact that they are helpful in holding back the Nids.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    The Tau are merciful if you don't mind becoming a second or third class citizen in their empire. But they would not be above burning a world if it posed a threat to the Tau hierarchy...I mean 'The Greater Good'. In fact the only reason the Imperium even tolerates the Xenos scum so close to their worlds is the fact that they are helpful in holding back the Nids.

If I had the insane money and free time required to get into Warhammer, and I decided for some reason to play Tau, they'd definitely be based on the Neighborhood Watch Alliance.

Complete with little ties and a mustache for the HQ.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

not true at all

• Options
    the tau most likely use some form of mind-control on the vespids though

• Options
    Well, it's more true then the 'sterilized' of DOW.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I wish the Tau Armies had even more alien models. The biggest internal threat to the Tau (aside from the ambiguous nature of the Ethereals) is their willingness to integrate others into their Empire. And it's never 100% good. The Vespids might be mind controlled. The Kroot are completely incompatible. It works for now but you sense that some of that tension could easily cause real trouble. More aliens in their army lists would help show that. It's not the uh, most politically correct of messages, but 'multiculturalism will destroy the Tau' seems like a nice fit for 40k.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I always saw the Tau as being kind of like a warped version of the Federation from Star Trek... working towards the Great Good, so long as it's their idea of Greater Good - it just so happens that this idea involves technological progress and a certain type of equality within an allotted role. No room for dissent or free expression, which I guess would be easy for the Tau themselves, seeing how the Ethereal have the rest of the casts under their control; much more restrictive and totalitarian when it comes to other races though

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    They do like their racial segregation. Like, their society wouldn't even exist without everyone staying in their place. But then again, it's still better than any segregation we've ever had.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The Tau - Drink the kool-aid and report to your Internment...we mean racially planned fun camp!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My second unused Rogue Trader RPG character concept was a human who joined the Tau sort of out of necesity, there's a term for it, but I forget it.

• Options
    edited April 2014

I think that's why Farsight is a secret-hero of the Tau. His tactics and divergence from Tau tradition makes him an excellent tool against the Orks, but they also make him a social nuke to acknowledge.

Also, "Hunter Prey"...check it out....
    HunterPrey2010-06.jpg
    My second unused Rogue Trader RPG character concept was a human who joined the Tau sort of out of necesity, there's a term for it, but I forget it.

Gue'Vesa
    Means "Human Helpers"

Gue'la - Humans

Gue'vesa'la - Human Tau Empire soldiers

Gue'vesa'ui - Human Tau Empire sergeant

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I love the Kroot

give me a Kroot army

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    There was a Kroot Mercenary army many years back in a Chapter Approved article

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    There was a kroot short-story in one of the old Tau codices that has really stuck with me and since then I am always like "please more kroot troops please more kroot troops" any time new tau rumors come out

Huntera on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    There was a Kroot Mercenary army many years back in a Chapter Approved article
    I saw a rad custom "Tau" army that was a renegade faction of Kroot

Like the Battlesuit hero dude was a Kroot that had jury-rigged a captured one, the Tau commanding officers were held at knifepoint, etc.

It looked pretty dope.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The best Tau is Shas'O Kais.

Fucker's first day on active duty put him up against an army of space marines, then an army of chaos space marines, then a fucking Bloodthirster.

Bigger workload than most Space Marines get.

Then, after some serious time in therapy from, you know, having Khorne influencing him directly, losing an arm, massive PTSD, etc etc etc, he managed to get promoted to using a crisis suit and a command position!

...Where he kept up his record of not dying while his ethereal was killed horribly. Really, they need to stop trusting that guy with them. Maybe start with something smaller. Like a goldfish or something.

• Options
    we don't talk about fire warrior

• Options
    I do.
    No I don't. :(

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    After listening to the hardcore history podcast on WW1, I've realized that my assumption of 40k humanity as being world war 2 influenced primarily seems off. Certainly it is there, but I get a lot more of a WW1 vibe.

Particularly striking is the realization that the secret of 40k isn't how overblown everything is, but how overblown it isn't. Commissars shooting soldiers? Yeah that was stuff that happened, in a sanctioned capacity, in WW1. WW2 as well, of course, but it seems a more commonly accepted thing in the first war, and an extreme measure in the second. Maybe that is just an incorrect impression though.

• Options
    I loved when Abnett had the Ghosts go to that world that was generations into a WW1 style trench war and all the troops had their fucking minds blown at the sight of lasguns.

• Options
    Once I had to explain 40k to someone, not wanting them to think me too weird I described it as, "imagine if WW1 never ended."

• Options
    I knew trench warfare was awful but god damn

Some of the firsthand accounts are completely horrifying

• Options
    After listening to the hardcore history podcast on WW1, I've realized that my assumption of 40k humanity as being world war 2 influenced primarily seems off. Certainly it is there, but I get a lot more of a WW1 vibe.

Particularly striking is the realization that the secret of 40k isn't how overblown everything is, but how overblown it isn't. Commissars shooting soldiers? Yeah that was stuff that happened, in a sanctioned capacity, in WW1. WW2 as well, of course, but it seems a more commonly accepted thing in the first war, and an extreme measure in the second. Maybe that is just an incorrect impression though.

commisars are directly based on order 227 and deputies for political matters in the soviet army

• Options
    Also there are still forge worlds in the Imperium making new ships, new titans, ancient factories still making the really good plasma cannons for destroyer pattern tanks and void shields and force weapons and etc. etc. Just, not enough to equip all units and of course it's almost all gonna get snatched up by older, safer worlds and won't get spread around until some rich hiveworld unit that hasn't seen combat in 700 years gets called up and slaughtered where other units can pick through the leftovers.

• Options
    Well right, but I'm more saying that officers shooting men in the field for cowardice didn't need a special order in WW1, it was a thing that just happened.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I knew trench warfare was awful but god damn

Some of the firsthand accounts are completely horrifying

quite the juxtaposition between the 'glory of war' in the civilian populace at the time and the troops that went in with new tech, outdated tactics, and officers that were in charge because they came from money, not because the were competant.

I had a great grandpa in WW1. His diaries are... Bleak is the right word for it. I'm glad we found them, because he wouldn't talk about that stuff when he was alive, except maybe to uncle Vic who was a medivac chopper pilot in Vietnam.

any ways, war 40k, orks for life.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
  • Options