As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Armored Warfare by Obsidian - Pre-Alpha Footage pg.2

12346»

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I thought Swoop Racing was in KOTOR1--which wasn't them either. And wasn't particularly memorable either. Am I crazy about that?

Let's just say, there's nothing wrong with a dev trying a new area, but I don't hold my breath until I'm a little more convinced (if they'd gone with another WWII setting, I honestly would have ignored them and their game--the post-war setting saved this thing for me). Creative Assembly consistently knocks it out of the park with their Total War franchise, but if they tell me they're making their first third-person shooter, I'll wish them good luck, but I won't be giving them benefit of the doubt until they can remove a lot of my doubt with some evidence.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I thought Swoop Racing was in KOTOR1--which wasn't them either. And wasn't particularly memorable either. Am I crazy about that?

Let's just say, there's nothing wrong with a dev trying a new area, but I don't hold my breath until I'm a little more convinced (if they'd gone with another WWII setting, I honestly would have ignored them and their game--the post-war setting saved this thing for me). Creative Assembly consistently knocks it out of the park with their Total War franchise, but if they tell me they're making their first third-person shooter, I'll wish them good luck, but I won't be giving them benefit of the doubt until they can remove a lot of my doubt with some evidence.

Apparently, Swoop Racing was in KotOR2, as well (at least, according to never-wrong Wikipedia).

And it's funny that you mention Creative Assembly...the same folks who made Alien: Isolation. :)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I like how open the devs are. They are constantly present in the forums, and they are always listening.

And they use a lot of data to balance things, they are not like WoT where they hire a local Sergei from the street and tell him to nerf some tank into oblivion...

I loved WoT when it came out, but the devs did some really bad decisions with the game. Hyperpowerful guns that can kill you with one shot, ridiculous arty (in AW I like arty, it is fun to play or be in the receiving end), gold ammo etc.

I play it still every now and then, because I like WWII tanks. Tiger, Hertzer, Pz. IV... Mostly German I know.

But in AW I can play vehicles that are used in my country's army, and that is great. I'm collecting those and would like to eventually have every single one of them.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Apparently, Swoop Racing was in KotOR2, as well (at least, according to never-wrong Wikipedia).

And it's funny that you mention Creative Assembly...the same folks who made Alien: Isolation. :)

There's a reason I didn't pre-order it. :P Which is not to say the game isn't quite good either.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    well, good news.

I got all my items from the code. No bait and switchery, just apparently bad timing.

the 14 days premium is an item you use in game though, not something that just activates. which is nice.

• Options
    Theres a 400% Reputation event going on.

and even with that the T4 grind is just..wow. I don't.

But I got the T4 Starship, which has what seems to be a reload twice as slow as my previous, T3 tank. 13ish seconds between shots is miserable when you get 3 enemy tanks spawn on top of you.

• Options
    So, checking Youtube, apparently you could Swoop race in KOTOR 2.

Which says a lot about just how incredibly forgettable it was (then again, it was basically a direct copy of swoop racing in KOTOR 1). :P

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    to be fair, the starship is one of the worse MBTs in the game. Its not anything like a front line tank with that reload and bad armor, more a 2nd line fire support vehicle like a TD, which is what is was suppose to be historically i think.

The M60a3 though is probably my favorite tier 5, nice all round but not great at any one thing.

• Options
    The T-72B is hilariously awful. To the point where I will not bother to switch ammunition when engaging one, either in PVE or PVP, and just aim "around" the ERA armor (which is frequently not necessarily--at least half the time, you'll hear "the ERA blocked it!" just to see that you did 100% normal damage anyway, because the ERA on that thing is a fashion statement).

Watching a BMP-3 with its 100 mm HE maul one of those things is equal parts funny and tragic.

The T-72 is okay, with its weaknesses, and the T-80 is a genuinely decent, even good tank (even if its quite weak in holding a position, which you will do at that tier in an MBT sooner or later).

• Options
    I will admit, I did like the T80 as long as I was not getting shot at and was on perfectly flat ground. The gun I really liked. Just the armor is bad enough that any AP shell from the front I just expected to go though at least 50% of the time, and 4-5 pens will kill you. And if I stopped on slightly uneven ground, the suspension was so bad for whatever reason it bounced around worse than the M60 ever did before they patched it.

The T90 fixes both those issues for the most part for me. Sill has a nice gun, the front armor actually exists even if the tank as a whole feels more fragile than the other high tier MBTs I've played, mostly due to the lower hp. And the suspension isn't shit so I can stop on a crest and actually shoot.

• Options
    The T-90, at least in my experience, is better armored, but still generally as vulnerable at its tier (it has the same weak points too)--though at least unlike the T-72B, its ERA is actually vaguely use for something.

The T-80 feels a good bit more agile--the basic T-80 has better acceleration than a T-90 with the final engine, which is my go-to MBT now. Both tanks have good suspension, but the T-80 actually uses it.

Really, you can put off the T-80's engine upgrade for last, but there's a price for that maneuverability.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm not at that tier, but isn't the T90's claim to fame a really huge gun?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Thats pretty much the whole Tseries past the t64. Big guns with high (for this game) alpha and highest pen usually, kinda bad to greater or lesser degrees at everything else. Driving the T90 was after the Challenger 2 and even the Leo 2a6 was the first time all those other weak spots I heard about on MBT fronts were actual weak spots not just more red auto bounce zones.

M1 line are general all rounders, pretty good in most stats but not exceptional. The reload on the M1A2 was suppose to be amazing but that got nerfed with the crew skill changes. The tier 7 M1 is kinda bad, partially because of a bugged model thats getting fixed next patch. I hated that one as everything but the turret front seemed to get penned by anything, but the M1A1 was nice and didnt have the same issues.

Challengers are bricks, high armor (only tanks with side armor that matters), high HP, good gun handling, shit gun penetration and shell choice, slow as hell (Chall 2 feels slightly worse armor for tier but better mobility). Are my favorite, which probably explains most of my hate for the t80. Ariete is like a cross between these and a Tseries, I liked it but i seemed to be an exception.

Leo2s, I've only played the Leo2a6. That is fast with good front armor (side armor in the garage is a lie, there is none). Better pen on the gun but slightly worse gun handling and forced to spend 10 ammo slots on ATGMs that are situation at higher tiers due to all the APS. But at least their reload is fast while the Tseries ones have higer pen I think. I've heard the lower tier leo2s have armor holes in front, and all of them get fewer/not great retrofit slot options.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I was looking through my old videos, and I found this clip where I mess with this T-62 by hiding behind the wreck of his friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPfy4527Uo&feature=youtu.be

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    So this thread has been dead for a while but some things have happened that people may be interested to hear. Obsidian is no longer working on Armored Warfare. Check out the link below to a reddit thread detailing what happened. I tried to play a PVE game this morning and there were only about 10 or so people in the queue. I think this game is dead and with Obsidian gone I don't see things turning around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArmoredWarfare/comments/5thjdv/armored_warfare_what_went_wrong/

Here's the official statement from the devs.

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/mycom-adopts-future-work-armored-warfare

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    So this thread has been dead for a while but some things have happened that people may be interested to hear. Obsidian is no longer working on Armored Warfare. Check out the link below to a reddit thread detailing what happened. I tried to play a PVE game this morning and there were only about 10 or so people in the queue. I think this game is dead and with Obsidian gone I don't see things turning around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArmoredWarfare/comments/5thjdv/armored_warfare_what_went_wrong/

Here's the official statement from the devs.

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/mycom-adopts-future-work-armored-warfare

None of this surprises me in the least.

sad to see Obsidian get fucked over yet again by a dumbfuck company who cant see beyond its own nose, too.

I really liked Armored Warfare, but it just sucked playing solo and I never found any PA group in it to hook up with so I just gave up on it after a month or two.