As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Echo's mom needs a laptop

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
So, my mom currently has a shitty netbook, and I finally managed to get it through that yes, it's actually her netbook being a slow piece of crap that makes things go faster on my laptop. Hooray, tech support for the family.

So, any recommendations for something lightweight? Thinking something 13", doesn't have to be very state of the art, it's just used for surfing and movie-watching.

The jury's still not out on a Macbook, but I'm looking for Wintel solutions as well.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Do you have a budget in mind?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Still pretty hard to beat a Macbook Air. Fast as balls, stays good for a long time, easy to maintain, great build quality (the keyboard and trackpad in particular) and super light. Obviously a little pricier, but when you buy a low-end model you're getting a machine that's going to stay as useful for as long as any comparably priced hardware.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    maybe consider a chromebook? Although it might not work depending on what 'movie watching' entails

I am pretty happy with mine

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Considered a tablet if it's just light browsing and video watching?

What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd say go with either a Macbook so you don't have to be the tech guy, or an iPad, again, so you don't have to be the tech guy.

Air is more classic laptopish, like if she needs to write lengthy emails or type a word document here and there. If it's truely just browsing the interwebs and watching cat videos, iPad would be the logical choice.

Avoid android platforms except for the Samsung/Google stuff, and Microsoft/Partners really doesn't have quality stuff at this point in the game. Plus windows 8 really does a mindfuck on people that hate change.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    I second an iPad, we got one for my mom a couple years back and she loves it so much more then the old, crappy laptop she had. No more having to update everything, and no more tech support from me (ok, greatly reduced at least).

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tech support after giving my mom one has went from practically everything to "what's my apple account password again?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    If price is no issue, the macbook air is a nice machine.

If you're trying to keep costs low, I'd go with something simple from Dell. You can get Windows 7 if that's what she's used to.

You could do something like this for under 500 bucks. It has a bigger screen though, if she really wants something smallish.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Tech support after giving my mom one has went from practically everything to "what's my apple account password again?"

"It's -- wait, are you just buying more Candy Crush lives?"

"... no."

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Thanks for the tips, seems like an Inspiron is the most likely given the budget. They don't come in 13" without a price bump, do they?