As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Little [Programming] Thread: Debugging is Magic

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Why is there no manager?

If it were me I'd roll back the changes and make them fix all their work.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I've basically let my programming ability atrophy at this point. I'm guessing that I can do simple stuff but back at my other job I felt like I understood a lot more than I do now.

• Options
    Did I tell you guys that I've developed a stomach ulcer? This place is stressing me out so much that I developed a stomach ulcer.

It's the most I've developed all year.
    zing!

• Options
    If something happens it happens, worrying yourself to death isn't going to solve it so just let that shit roll off your back.

If something breaks because of a coworker, and you've got solid evidence just shrug "well it was working until dingus and derpus over there broke it"

Then you let them deal with the fallout.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I know. Normally I don't let it affect me all that much (other than venting on here) but it feels like every other fucking day I'm dealing with this type of shit. Once 3pm EST hits I am logging out and not coming back until the 8th. This San Diego trip better relax me. :)

Of course I'm bringing at 15 month old on a plane... I'm sure people will LOVE me.

• Options
    You are approximately 20 gigahitlers.

• Options
    I just wish I could get to a point where I don't come in here just to bitch about my job. I know you guys are tired of hearing it and I'm tired of saying it...

Just 2.5 more hours... Demo is in 30 minutes but it isn't happening at this point because the button isn't showing up anymore.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Man, if you're spending more time on debugging other peoples' problems than doing your own work, to the point where you feel like you're losing skills... AND on top of that there's no management stepping in to enforce processes a.k.a at a minimum hold off on checking things in until after the demo...

Then, yea, I'd have split a long time ago.

• Options
    Man, if you're spending more time on debugging other peoples' problems than doing your own work, to the point where you feel like you're losing skills... AND on top of that there's no management stepping in to enforce processes a.k.a at a minimum hold off on checking things in until after the demo...

Then, yea, I'd have split a long time ago.

Yeah if I was in charge of that team Dingus and Derpus would've had their code check in abilities pretty much removed, and if they kept committing fucked up code I would get them kicked off my team.

THAT IS NOT WHAT COMMITTING IS FOR, THAT IS WHAT CTRL-S IS FOR

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't believe more places don't follow "stable trunk, develop in branches."

Sure, it makes for some fun merges when your dev branch is complete and has been reviewed, but it saves situations like this when someone decides to play silly buggers with the codebase.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options

Sure, it makes for some fun merges when your dev branch is complete and has been reviewed, but it saves situations like this when someone decides to play silly buggers with the codebase.

Committing broken code is just crazy sauce to me. Why would you commit something that doesn't work? Keep working on it.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Feature branching is fine if your VCS does branching well.

We're in fun land at work with our branching strategy because we have half the teams on a separate release process as we slowly transition from three to six releases a year. So half the teams develop on default, or maybe a feature branch, while the other half develop on team specific release branches, which merge in to a higher release branch, which eventually merges back to default.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Honky should flip a table at work until they do branching at least.

Every day walk up to his manager and ask about the branching policy.

When they keep saying "well Dingus and Derpus can just commit to the master branch" just take his desk and flip it over and walk back to your desk.

Every. Single. Day.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Committing broken code is just crazy sauce to me. Why would you commit something that doesn't work? Keep working on it.

I'll submit incomplete code, but it won't cause anyone else problems.

I've accidentally broken the build twice by forgetting to include a file in the submit, though.

• Options
    To be fair, my company is currently using trunk as dev. The thing is, if you're gonna do that, you need to have release branches. And everyone should be aware of when something big is going on so that they aren't checking in shit left and right while you're trying to prep for a demo. Or, you need a way to deploy from your working copy so that you don't need to worry about what's broken until later.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

I'll submit incomplete code, but it won't cause anyone else problems.

I've accidentally broken the build twice by forgetting to include a file in the submit, though.

Oh yeah. I've done that a few times before. It's just too easy to get excited about finally completing some feature and just smashing commit push and mic dropping out.

• Options
    Yea, I've done that before too... but forgetting to commit something is different from committing broken code.

Unless you committed it and then went on vacation, then you're that guy

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I would like to say that branch level testing that is required to run before merging solves all those problems...

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    speaking of cvs

I was throwing some stuff out, and decided to have a look at a stack of cds

one of them has a backup of some cvs repos of a lot of dumb code I wrote from a decade ago

I'm scared to look, you guys

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    why so much perl

what was I thinking back then

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    I would like to say that branch level testing that is required to run before merging solves all those problems...

Tell me more about this Branch Level Testing?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Presumably making sure every side of every branch is exercised

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    This obnoxious kid is walking up the sidewalk flailing his arms making it difficult for me to pass him on my bike. Big honking headphones and blaring music made any considerate attempt to ask him to move impossible. So I slowed down and waited for us to come to a street crossing.

I zipped past him in the open road and yelled, "LIFO!" before entering the next sidewalk area. My wife explained that to me a year ago and I have no idea why at that moment it came back to me. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    I need to buy a laptop to work on while I'm at school. I haven't bought a laptop ever, and my desktop is stupid old (7 years I think), so I know next to nothing about hardware or where to buy it nowadays.

I mostly do web development with C#, Visual Studio, and IIS, so it's nothing too horribly taxing, and I don't need the laptop to be a desktop replacement. Just something I can get some work done on during the 10 - 15 hours a week I'm in class.

Here's what I've gathered are some important criteria:

-SSD
    -Quad Core
    -1080p if possible. I really, really value screen real estate.

Would something like this be possible in the $400 - $700 range? Where should I go about buying? What are some other criteria I might be missing?

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    [Michael] wrote: »
    I need to buy a laptop to work on while I'm at school. I haven't bought a laptop ever, and my desktop is stupid old (7 years I think), so I know next to nothing about hardware or where to buy it nowadays.

I mostly do web development with C#, Visual Studio, and IIS, so it's nothing too horribly taxing, and I don't need the laptop to be a desktop replacement. Just something I can get some work done on during the 10 - 15 hours a week I'm in class.

-SSD
    -Quad Core

Would something like this be possible in the $400 - $700 range? Where should I go about buying? What are some other criteria I might be missing?

The computer build announcement in this subforum has a lot of great info on this very topic (its the very top thread). Just try not to get intimidated by the guys who buy thousand dollar graphics cards.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I only buy 500 dollar video cards, thank you very much.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Does buying two $500 cards count?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    [Michael] wrote: »

-SSD
    -Quad Core

Would something like this be possible in the $400 - $700 range?

No. And even if it was, you wouldn't want it. You'll need to sacrifice on physical size which almost always means sacrificing on resolution.

But if the choice is between a smaller screen or a shittier HD, you want to go smaller screen every single time trust me.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Echo wrote: »

Yeah... not ascribing any drawback to C is frankly dishonest.

Edit: Also, how he gets to nunchucks for C++ is beyond me, since C++ supports everything C does, ergo it's at least a gun.

Edit 2: From personal experience, Mathematica is not exactly the fastest option.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I just wish I could get to a point where I don't come in here just to bitch about my job. I know you guys are tired of hearing it and I'm tired of saying it...

When you stop bitching about your job, this entire thread is going to destabilize.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Just 2.5 more hours... Demo is in 30 minutes but it isn't happening at this point because the button isn't showing up anymore.

I'd rather you come here and bitch at us about your job, than you having nowhere to go.

PHP is fairly accurate. I do like how shiny Ruby is.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah... not ascribing any drawback to C is frankly dishonest.

Edit: Also, how he gets to nunchucks for C++ is beyond me, since C++ supports everything C does, ergo it's at least a gun.

Edit 2: From personal experience, Mathematica is not exactly the fastest option.

The page is basically a limited rip-off of the classic how to shoot yourelf in the foot joke

http://howto-pages.org/shootfoot.php

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I'd rather you come here and bitch at us about your job, than you having nowhere to go.

PHP is fairly accurate. I do like how shiny Ruby is.

I liked the Python one. Took me a second to get the line tool joke.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Hey, C guys. Homework question here, just making sure I'm going about this right, being C and all. I'm kind of hoping I've missed some way simpler way to do this due to almost never using C and having not taken the previous class. I've looked through the textbook used for both classes and don't see anything useful, though.

So, short version of the homework program spec:
    1. Prompt user for filename until they enter one which exists
    2. Determine how many numbers are in the file and allocate only enough space in an array to hold that many numbers
    3. All arrays must be dynamically allocated, accessed via pointers, etc. No square brackets should appear anywhere in the code.
    4. Sort and write back out to a different file (no questions about this)

Assumptions I am making but need to clarify with the teach:
    2. There is a single number per line
    3. I cannot use getline
    4. I cannot use anything else which is not part of the standard c lib

My best guess here is that I need to do something like this:
    1. Create 2 arrays - char *fileName = NULL; long *myInts = NULL;
    2. read user input in a loop using getchar() and use realloc() on fileName each iteration to extend the char array used for the file name by 1 until the user hits enter.
    3. Read that file line by line using fgets with the max length being the max number of characters in a long int (plus one more for a - sign... and one more for the EOL?) and dump into a temp array (not mentioned above)
    4. Parse that line/temp array with sscanf, realloc() my myInts array and pop it on there
    5. Sort and print to the output file.

Sound about right or have I missed some easier way to dynamically allocate these arrays?

• Options
    personally, I'd probably skip the temp array and parse the integers manually as I read the file, but that probably says something about the sort of person I am

• Options
    You should basically be reading bytes out of the file until you hit a new line terminator. When you hit that new line, process everything you've read up to that point as a possible number to parse (accepting that it may overflow because this is a horrible homework assignment that will teach you nothing about writing real software, it's busy work).

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    If there's anything I know about C, it's that we should be teaching programmers not to use square brackets.

• Options
    Pointer array access or go the fuck home.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Pointer array access or go the fuck home.

Real programmers only beyond this point.

Your beard must be this grey to ride.

This discussion has been closed.