As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] 13th Age - The Great Green Hunt

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Auch, lord G'ethh be the ficklest icon of the 14. Those who side with 'im are idiots, and those standin' on the other side are damned fools.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I'm interested, and I'll try to get something written up tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Alright, recruitment drive has ended. We'll be seven players, and I will be filling the role of humble DM.

Sacrifices to appease me may begin at your leisure.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I have faxed you my finest sandwich

• Options
    edited March 2014
    @am0n and @dresdenphile‌ will mark our last.

Please to be finalizing your sheets. Questions can be posted openly in the thread, or PMd to me if you value discretion. Mechanical stuff should probably go in the thread, in case anyone else has any questions.

EDIT: As I fill out the OP with characters, if you want me to change your little bio snippet feel free to let me know. I'm not yet intimately familiar with your characters, but they do have some juicy hooks each.

Oats on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Eloki the Banished, High Elven Sorcerer

randron.jpg

Eloki the Banished

The 15th Day of the Raven, the recorded account of the Banishment of Eloki, former heir to the Gracewood name.
    Present today:
    Thrine Gracewood, Head of House Gracewood, father of the Accused.
    Eloki Gracewood, The Accused.
    Raslish Gracewood, Youngest Son of Thrine Gracewood, brother of the Accused.
    Elase, human house worker to House Gracewood, the accuser.
    Various members of the Elven High Court, except the Elf Queen herself.

TG: "Eloki, you stand before me accused of the terrible deed of summoning demons within my walls and studying under their tutorage. How do you plead?"
    EG: "I stand before you and the Court a man wrongfully accused."
    TG: "So you plead Not Guilty"
    EG: "Of course."
    TG: "I call upon the testimony of Elase, House maid of more than 50 years and your former nurse when you where but a boy."
    E: "I saw him m'lord. He was in the Gardens. He cast the circle and called on the demon's name. The demon appeared as called and they studied magic until nearly dawn, when the demon returned to where he came and Eloki returned home."
    EG: "Why would I converse with demons? The vile creatures can not help me with my magic. Nor do I have something I'm willing to give to learn. And why we are at it, why would you follow me to the Gardens, if I had left? My brother leaves and returns at all manners of the night, yet you never follow him."
    TG: "Your brother is not on trail, Eloki. You are. We found evidence of a summoning circle within the gardens. Areas that were burned by a unnatural heat. And you are known for your love of fire."
    EG: "So are the Morningstar Brothers. So is Lady Sira of House Bloodgloom. So are many wizards and sorcerers present today. You have nothing but hearsay on the word of a human!"
    TG: "Enough, Eloki. I am old and not long for this world. And soon the House will pass from my hand to one of my sons. It should be you, Eloki. But I can not stand the thought of my name and fortune in the hands of a warlock. Answer me this; where were you on the night these events happen? And who can account for you?"

EG says nothing.

TG: "Then I am forced to lay the worst punishment our kind can cast upon a warlock. You are to be executed..."
    RG: "Father! Please. The offense is great but the evidence is minimal at best. I proposed that he be banished instead. Please Father."
    TG: "Fine. Eloki, you are to be stripped of your titles and name, forever Banished..."
    EG: "NO! THAT COW IS A LIAR! SHE ISN'T EVEN ELVEN! SHE'S A INDEBTED SERVANT! WHY BELIEVE HER OVER YOUR OWN SON?"
    TG: "...from the House Gracewood until either the Head of the House returns you to the fold or the Elf Queen herself pardons you of your crimes. I am sorry, my son. But these are our laws and I must abide by them."
    EG: "YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS! I AM NOT A WARLOCK! I AM NOT A WARLOCK..."

Eloki is dragged out of the main chamber by guards.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Transcript is great. Sheet is locked, though, GG.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Reserving up with...

Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for Down the line

6#4d6k3 6 # 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 2] 11 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 2], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 2], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 3], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 1], 1]

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Some additional questions:
    Swashbuckle

Once per battle as a quick action, you can spend your momentum to pull off a daring stunt the likes of which others could scarcely conceive. You may make an attack as part of the stunt, but you'll need to roll normally for the attack. This is an improvisational talent.

As a swashbuckler, you do not need a difficult skill check to pull the stunt off.

Is the attack that is part of the stunt part of the free action, or does it utilize your standard for the turn?

You said the "unique" races like Holy One are allowed, but only one per party?

I assume the +1 to 3 abilities at 4/7/10 require 3 different abilities, correct?

How are thrown ranged weapons handled? I assume they do not return, so I might want to have a few daggers? And what about drawing a new dagger? Quick action?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    am0n wrote: »
    Some additional questions:
    Swashbuckle

Once per battle as a quick action, you can spend your momentum to pull off a daring stunt the likes of which others could scarcely conceive. You may make an attack as part of the stunt, but you'll need to roll normally for the attack. This is an improvisational talent.

As a swashbuckler, you do not need a difficult skill check to pull the stunt off.

Is the attack that is part of the stunt part of the free action, or does it utilize your standard for the turn?

You said the "unique" races like Holy One are allowed, but only one per party?

I assume the +1 to 3 abilities at 4/7/10 require 3 different abilities, correct?

How are thrown ranged weapons handled? I assume they do not return, so I might want to have a few daggers? And what about drawing a new dagger? Quick action?

Yeah you have to do +1 to 3 different abilities

As far as my reading of it goes, for swashbuckler the attack would probably be your standard action, but you can incorporate it for narrative reasons and such.
    It turns "I attack this guy and do this thing" into "I ride the chandelier up to the stair railing, hop off, and engage in a daring swordfight with the enemy as I balance precariously!" which is way more fun

This is, of course, all up to our frightening and vengeful DM to decide

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    TRV has the right interpretation of it.

It'll give you utility in combat. Possibly double moving because of a chandelier, or a rope, or a tricky bit of wall running. It's improv night at the rogue show of dashing and daring, and you're the star baby, the star.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    That's what I figured. Any feedback on the races and ranged/dagger question?

Edit: Follow up to Swashbuckle: it causes you to spend your momentum. If the attack hits, I assume you'd then regain your momentum (but if it misses, you'd have none)?

am0n on
  • Options
    PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    @Oats I have faxed you a picture of a faxmachine in an effort to appease you.

• Options
    Well, let's get this part out of the way:

Geth roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 5] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 3] 9 [4d6k3=[6, 2, 1], 1]

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You people and your good rolls make me want to roll instead of point buy, but I know as soon as I do I'll be swimming in 8s.

• Options
    Eh, screw it. Why not, can only make the character more interesting? Right? Right??!

Geth roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 3] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 3], 2] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 2] 8 [4d6k3=[4, 2, 2], 1] 5 [4d6k3=[2, 2, 1], 1]

• Options
    Ho boy, that 5 sure is going to be fun!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Jeyza Re (yes, I am not creative about naming my characters. =P)

90a2ahr3nsd2.jpg

Stat Block
    Name: Jeyza Re
    Class: Rogue (Dex)
    Race: Half-Drow (Holy One (Wis))

Abilities:
    STR: 13 (+1)
    CON: 8 (-1)
    DEX: 17 (+3)
    INT: 15 (+2)
    WIS: 16 (+3)
    CHA: 5 (-3)

HP/Defenses/Initiative:

HP: 20/20
    Recoveries: 8/8 (2d8 - 1)
    AC: 17
    PD: 15
    MD: 15
    Initiative: 5

"Worldly" Details
    BIO
    Drow culture has no room for impurity and weakness. So when Jeyza's mother brought her home, offspring with human blood, there was never any place for her in their society. Lucky enough to not be murdered immediately, she led a tormented and troubled childhood. Unlike those around her, she lacked the ruthless planning and backstabbing of those around her. She found herself drawn to the surface dwellers, the traders and travelers whom would take shelter in her town while traveling the dark recesses of her home. Their stories of the surface intrigued her and it was these events that led her to leave her family and venture off on her own.

Her curiosity, creativity and knack for exploration led her through several years of treasure hunting. Be it spelunking in caves, investigating rumors of lost relics or dodging traps in old ruins, she never felt more alive. The world was her home, now; the earth her floor, the stars her roof.

One Unique Thing:
    Born of two conflicting races, you are neither human nor drow. This has been both a boon and bane, as while neither views you as their own, both are more likely to greet you with words instead of a sword.

Icon Relationships:
    The Elf Queen (Positive, +1) – Without a home of your own, you found some level of solace in your visits to the court. While not always in favor of the life you live, you’ve given them no reason to doubt your intentions and have, on several occasions, acted as a guide for envoys and other parties relating the court.
    The Prince of Shadows (Conflicted, +1) – While not the murderer some expect of those with connections to the prince, you’ve garnered some favor from your exploits and the riches you’ve found.
    The High Druid (Conflicted, +1) – Not having formally met any of the druids, you aren’t entirely sure how they view you, but strange occurrences, like paths, that you sure weren’t there, appearing and leading you to safety, or wild game when you’ve needed it most, make you wonder if there isn’t someone looking out for you. Perhaps your respect for nature hasn’t gone unnoticed.

Backgrounds:
    Treasure Hunter (+5, Thievery Talent) – You’ve braved the oldest ruins and darkest caverns in search of riches, or perhaps just because you enjoy the risk? With dangers around every corner, some alive, some otherwise, you couldn’t see yourself doing anything else.
    Astute Observer (+5) – You don’t talk much, and some view that as you being shy. But that’s okay, because you are watching, diligently. Be it the shady business in the back of the room, the slight bulge of the dagger up someone’s sleeve, or the worried look in the eyes of the house maid that gives away her fright, you know more than you let on. And you use that to your advantage.
    Explorer (+5) – Be it the thickest jungles or the darkest caverns, you can’t help but take the path least traveled. You’ve learned to survive, even if not in luxury, where others may not.

Features
    Racial Feature:
    Survivor's Defense (Halo) - Once per battle as a free action during your turn, gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until you are hit by an attack (or until the battle ends).

Class Features:
    Momentum – Gain momentum when hit an enemy, lose momentum when hit by an enemy.
    Sneak Attack – Deal an extra +1d6 damage on rogue melee weapon attacks versus an enemy engaged with one or more allies.
    Trap Sense – Natural even roll (failure) on skill check involving a trap results in a reroll (once). Natural odd roll (failure) on a skill check involving a trap results in forcing the trap to reroll the attack (once).

Class Talents:
    Cunning – Use INT in place of CHA for rogue attacks, talents or powers. Gain an extra two points to backgrounds for knowledge. Gain a +2 bonus to skill checks involving traps.
    Thievery – You have the Thief background (Treasure Hunter fluff) at full possible bonus of +5 without spending normal background points on it.
    Shadow Walk - You gain the shadow walk at-will power (See Powers).

Feats:
    Cunning (Adventurer) – Gain a +1 bonus to MD.

Atttacks/Powers
    Basic Attacks:
    Melee Basic Attack (Melee, Rapier)
    Target: One Enemy
    Attack: +5 vs. AC
    Hit: 2d8 + 3 damage
    Miss: 2 damage

Ranged Basic Attack (Ranged, Dagger)
    Hit: 2d4 + 3 damage

Powers:
    Tumbling Strike (Melee, Rapier)
    Always: You gain a +5 bonus to all disengage checks you attempt this turn. You can also move to engage an enemy, make this attack against it, and then use a quick action to attempt to disengage from it (the quick action disengage lets you move again if you succeed).

Flying Blade (Ranged, Dagger)
    Special: You must use a small bladed weapon with this attack.
    Target: One Nearby Creature
    Hit: 2d4 + 3 damage, and if the natural attack roll is even and one of your allies is engaged with the target, you can use your Sneak Attack damage for the round.

Sure Cut (Melee, Rapier)
    Special: You must have momentum and be able to deal your Sneak Attack damage.
    Miss: 1d6 (Sneak Attack) + 2 damage

Roll With It (Interrupt)
    Special: You must have momentum.
    Trigger: A melee attack that targets AC hits you.
    Effect: You take half damage from the attack.

Shadow Walk (Talent)
    Special: As a move action prior to using your standard action, make the following attack against all nearby enemies, using the highest Mental Defense of all enemies as the target defense.
    Attack: +4 vs. MD
    Hit: Remove yourself from play. At the start of your next turn, return anywhere nearby that you could have moved to normally during your turn, and deal double damage with your first rogue attack that turn.
    Miss: No effect. You can't attempt to shadow walk again until your next turn, but you still have your standard action this turn.

Equipment
    Gold: 10 gp

Combat: Rapier, Dagger x5, Leather Armor, 3 Healing Potions

Other: Standard Traveling Gear, Blanket (wool), Crowbar, Flask (glass) x2, Grappling hook(iron), Hammer, Iron spike x10, Lantern (hooded), Lantern oil x4, Mirror (small), Rope (good) x50 ft., Tent (small), Thieves’ tools (adventurer), Torch (1 hr.) x2

So, first pass. Race and my third talent are still TBD based on questions above. Equipment also needs to be added. Wanted to post it though to get feedback, since I'm not really sure if everything has been done right (i.e. I'm not sure if 'Astute Observer' is appropriate as a background? Maybe it's more like a trait and needs to be redone?)

Edit: Equipment added.

Edit2: Photo added. Will update after I recolor to make her look more drow.

Edit3: Updated Race to Half-Drow (Holy One (Wis)), Racial Feature and Third Rogue Talent to Shadow Walk.

Edit4: Now with more half-drow! (picture recolor)

am0n on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    That's what I figured. Any feedback on the races and ranged/dagger question?

Edit: Follow up to Swashbuckle: it causes you to spend your momentum. If the attack hits, I assume you'd then regain your momentum (but if it misses, you'd have none)?

Buckling swash costs your momentum, doesn't seem like much of a cost if you get it back. Immediate ruling is you don't, but I will consult the sages and find out.

For races, honestly if you've got a character you want to play, go for it. We've got two drow, a dwarf and a halfling so far so there's plenty of room to either blend in or stand out.

For ranged weapons: I don't count ammo. If you have a bow, you have a quiver with sufficient arrows. Throwing daggers you'll be assumed to be picking them up after combat. Just have a few throwing knives and I'm happy. If you throw like ten knives in one encounter I've already failed in other ways.

Edit: looks like you have too many backgroundy bits. Five from thief plus 8 standard is 13 total.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Cunning gives an extra +2. I figured there was some amount of knowledge involved with seeing and interpreting things going on around me, or surviving in the wilderness/caves, so I threw it in there. If that's no good, let me know and I'll find somewhere else to put the +2.

am0n on
  • Options
    Hey, my charater's name is Eloki, and my other character is Farkis which is from Skyrim. Being inventive with names isn't my strong suit.

• Options
    My mistake, I thought the cunning bonus was just +2 for dealing with traps. Didn't think it gave you +2 to backgrounds too but it does.

• Options
    Still trying to decide on a class. It's too bad that Monk isn't in the main book. :'(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You can be a bard!

• Options
    Also, I'm a High Elf, not a drow. I take great offense to be called one of those cave dwellers.

• Options
    Almos' as much as I hate bein' called a gnome! We look nothin' alike. Also no dwarves've ever been accused of smellin' like an upturned cabbage wagon.

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    Buckling swash costs your momentum, doesn't seem like much of a cost if you get it back. Immediate ruling is you don't, but I will consult the sages and find out.

I guess the way I was viewing it was you'd lose the momentum for the daring stunt, but would still need to hit to get your momentum back. Let me know what you find out. Right now I am leaning either Half-Drow (Holy One) with Buckling of all the Swash or Half-Drow (Human) and being a shadow walker. With (probably) the lowest HP of the group (20), I need to do something to not get hit too often. =P

• Options
    Also, I'm a High Elf, not a drow. I take great offense to be called one of those cave dwellers.

Jeyza would chide you for insulting part of her heritage, but she suffers from Foot in Mouth syndrome. As such, do not expect her to take the lead in talking to people often.

Or at all.

• Options

I guess the way I was viewing it was you'd lose the momentum for the daring stunt, but would still need to hit to get your momentum back. Let me know what you find out. Right now I am leaning either Half-Drow (Holy One) with Buckling of all the Swash or Half-Drow (Human) and being a shadow walker. With (probably) the lowest HP of the group (20), I need to do something to not get hit too often. =P

Stand behind any tankasauruses and then when the moment is right, drop a suspended pallet of building materials onto our foes!

• Options

That something is called a Davinne du Lac, @am0n :D Not easy to fit into a suitcase, as he is as large as a bear, but he is good for putting in the way of things that are heading for your face.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    If you hit with an attack you get momentum. You would spend it on the buckleswashing stunt, regaining it if you make an attack and if the attack hits.

You used a dark elf for your portrait!

Oats on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If you hit with an attack you get momentum. You would spend it on the buckleswashing stunt, regaining it if you make an attack and if the attack hits.

Okay, that's kind of what I was hoping. Still a cost to do the stunt, but if successful (and I hit as part of it), at least puts me back where I was.

Now, to decide if I want to do daring stunts or walk in the shadows! Decisions, decisions!

am0n on
  • Options

You Google High Elf Sorcerer and try to find some elf that isn't dark or wearing bikini armor. Hell, even dark elf males wear bikini armor. What's up with that?

• Options
    Oh shi- I need to update equipment list :O

• Options
    edited March 2014

You Google High Elf Sorcerer and try to find some elf that isn't dark or wearing bikini armor. Hell, even dark elf males wear bikini armor. What's up with that?

That's why I found a regular elf picture and will re-color it. =P

Also, High Elf Wizard:

http://www.genesworlds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/CAT_1107_19.jpg

am0n on
  • Options
    Halo
    Once per battle as a free action during your turn, gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until you are hit by an attack (or untilthe battle ends).

Champion Feat
    Halo also activates automatically any time you heal using a recovery.

I interpret the Champion Feat as allowing Halo to active when spending a recovery, but still limits it to once per battle. Is this correct? Or would it "reactivate" Halo if a recovery is used mid-battle after being hit?

• Options
    The "also" seems like it would mean you get the once per battle effect of your choice, and then the automatic one is just in addition to that. So it could be a ton of times

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Abilities
    STR: 8 (-1)
    CON: 14 (+2)
    DEX: 18 (+4)
    INT: 12 (+1)
    WIS: 10 (+0)
    CHA: 16 (+3)

HP/Defenses/Other
    HP 27/27, Recoveries 8/8 (1d8+2)
    AC 18 PD 16 MD 13
    Initiative: +6

@Capfalcon I think you calculated your HP wrong (or am I missing something?) Rogue for level 2 is (6+CON)*4, so for you that'd be (6+2)*4 = 32 HP. Be more healthy!

Edit: Also, your recovery would be 2d8+2 (1d8*Level + CON). Be even more healthy!

am0n on
  • Options
    The "also" seems like it would mean you get the once per battle effect of your choice, and then the automatic one is just in addition to that. So it could be a ton of times

Hmm, well, that could be pretty interesting. I'll admit the "also" is what confused me, too, but I am going off the SRD and the *.pdfs, so I'm not sure if other wording was used elsewhere.

• Options
    Well the thing is you can't use champion feats until level ....5?
    So by then you'll be super powerful anyway