As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] 13th Age - The Great Green Hunt

OatsOats Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Critical Failures
Stealing heavily from the brilliance of @TheRoadVirus‌ who stole it from @bss‌
So it goes.

13th Age:
As a reminder, Linkage, and Miscellany
13th Age is the latest twist on a long series of heroic fantasy games, an indie game equal parts D&D and storygame. If you are familiar with D&D, you'll find that 13th Age is a game where you are given ample opportunities to influence the path the story is taking, on both a micro and macro level, with mechanics that model how you, with your character's ties to the world as a proxy, are on equal storytelling footing as the GM. If you are familiar with storygames, you'll find that 13th Age marries collaborative storytelling with the combat crunch of modern D&D, allowing for heroic action without getting bogged down with a huge set of rules.

Its brand of d20 will be most familiar to fans of 4e, with doses of inspiration from 3e. It comes from lead designers of those editions, on that note.

If you have the 13th Age book(s), you can create a 2nd level character using the races and classes in the core book. Also available are the other classes published on the Pelgrane Press webpage (linked below). The only limit is that there can only be one of each 'optional' race. Otherwise, though, do whatever you feel like doing. There's a PDF character sheet below, or you can just render your character in text. Follow the process from the core book, and ping the thread if you need pointers or have questions or whatever. You can roll abilities or use point buy --- but if you roll you're stuck with your "interesting" results unless they're horrible. Just do point buy unless you want to live on the edge.

The one unique thing describes something rad and interesting about your character
You have 3 icon relationship points to spend on 1-3 icons; each point is a d6 to roll for relationships, you're hoping for 6s and can (probably) live with 5s
You get 8 background points, each point is a +1 to a roll when you make an ability check where the background is relevant --- these describe what your character does and did, and should inform us of his/her history alongside implying his/her skillset

A very useful reference for most things 13th Age: http://www.13thagesrd.com
13 Facts about 13th Age (describes the one unique thing, icon relationships, and backgrounds, among others): http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8583
13th Age Resources (player game aid, 13th Age character sheets): http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8764
Summary of the icons: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=7790
Some Generally helpful word docs: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13316
STALWART Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13622
VANGUARD Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13618
ELEMENTALIST Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13118
ELDRITCH KNIGHT Class: http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=11922

As a collaborative storytelling game, you the players are encouraged to fill in the details or nudge the plot in a certain direction. This can happen directly through icon relationship rolls, either if I ask for them or if you have banked story-guide results, but I'll often leave things a bit open-ended as a prompt to elaborate or embellish as you see fit. Maybe the town you're at the border of has a thing against half-elves, or a couple years back you ran the mayor out of town. Make the story your own! Of note, I will be setting this in the same time and world as a campaign I am running in meatspace. I plan on having events trickle back and forth between the two. Go nuts! Make my life hell!

Let's have out of character text be in grey text, and things your characters say in "bold with quotes".

The Mission
The Green, the biggest, baddest and cleverest Green Dragon has disappeared from the Elf Queen's care. This has upset the Elf Queen.

You have elected or been selected to try to hunt down the Green. It is a millennia old dragon, with the power, knowledge and greed to match. The Green is also slightly mad (both in the insane and angry varieties), having spent the last 2300 years or so locked up underground.

Your skills in and out of combat have garnered you some amount of attention and renown. The campaign will begin outside the seat of Elfen power, so let's maybe limit things to one of each of the non-Elf races. If you have a really awesome character idea, PM me and I will probably approve it.

Dramatis Personae in order of appearance:
@Capfalcon as Tarynton, the drow with no last name
@TheRoadVirus as Taldin Flintfist, the dwarf with a big sword and a lie for a name
@Kirindal as Vesna Sorokin, the halfling embodying the wisdom of ages past
@Grunt's Ghosts as Eloki the Banished, the fierce and fiery heir unapparent
@PACherrn‌ as Davinne du Lac, the general greener than the fields guarded
@am0n as Jeyza Re, forever alone, a nation unto herself
@dresdenphile as Zachariah "Slim" Driscull, displaced, hunted, armed and dangerous

Table of Contents
Prologue
The First Encounter - Goblinja! - Surrender!
Chapter One - Welcome to Old Town

Oats on

• Options
    PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    This looks really interesting! I would love to play, I just need the books really :O I wonder if something can be rolled up from the SRD alone.

• Options
    Don't worry about posting in OOC yet. Once we get rolling, it will help distinguish.

The SRD is basically the entire book at this point, which is rather handy.

• Options
    Alright! I shall go have a look at it, and see if I can roll up a neat character. I have a few ideas floating about in my head, that I would like to try out :)

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Flowchart.jpg

Also, if players are so interested, you can easily roll up stats using the following:

Geth roll 6#4d6k3

Edit: Holy shit Geth why do you hate me so.

6#4d6k3 6 # 10 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 3], 1] 8 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 2], 1] 8 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 2], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 3], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 2], 2]

Oats on
  • Options
    Having looked at it, I might lean towards a Dwarven Elementalist I think. It does look very interesting :)

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Would you mind if I made up a dude/dudette for this?

• Options
    Do it man.

We've got the space. I'm aiming for 4-6 players. 3 gets a bit hairy, from what I've found playing in meatspace.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 6#4d6k3 for statties
    I'm leaning towards a Dwarven Barbarian. Small. Shirtless. Tattooed. ANGRY.

statties:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 1]

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I am definately going the route of Dwarven Elementalist. I have a few ideas about the background of the character, and I am wondering if I should dare let geth roll the stats, or simply go with the safe 28 point buy. Geth might hate me more than you @Oats ! :D

PACherrn on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    sXOa8tq.jpg

Name: Tarynton
    Class: Rogue [+DEX]
    Race: Dark Elf [+CHA]
    Level: 2

Abilities
    STR: 8 (-1)
    CON: 14 (+2)
    DEX: 18 (+4)
    INT: 12 (+1)
    WIS: 10 (+0)
    CHA: 16 (+3)

HP/Defenses/Other
    HP 32/32, Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)
    AC 16 PD 16 MD 13
    Initiative: +6

One Unique Thing
    I can talk with spiders of all sizes.

Icon Relationships
    Elf Queen - Conflicted, 2 points - The Silver Folk are out of favor with the Elf Queen, but we're still her subjects.
    Prince of Shadows - Friendly, 1 point - ...Honestly, I don't know why the Prince's lackeys like me so much.

Backgrounds
    Monstrous Anatomy +4 You think these surface monsters are frightening? Live underground a few months, and then get back to me.
    Master of Poisons +4 Dark Elves who don't learn to identify poisons rarely live past adolescence.
    Underhand of the Silver Court +5 The politics of the Silver Court are quite simple. After all, a knife in the dark silences all dissent.

Racial Feature
    Cruel (Racial Power)
    Once per battle, deal ongoing damage to a target you hit with a natural even attack roll as a free action. The ongoing damage equals 5 times your level. As usual, a normal save (11+) ends the damage. A critical hit doesn't double this ongoing damage.

Class Talents
    Murderous
    Against staggered enemies, your crit range with rogue attacks expands by 2.

Shadow Walk
    You gain the shadow walk at-will power:
    As a move action before you have used your standard action this turn, if you are not engaged, you can make the following “attack” against all nearby enemies, targeting the enemy among them with the highest Mental Defense.
    Attack: Charisma + Level vs. MD
    Hit: Remove yourself from play. At the start of your next turn, return anywhere nearby that you could have moved to normally during your turn, and deal double damage with
    your first rogue attack that turn. (No monkeying around with delaying and such here: return on your initiative and take your turn.)
    Miss: No effect. You can’t attempt to shadow walk again until your next turn, but you still have your standard action this turn.

Thievery
    You have the Thief background (by any name that feels fun, engaging, and correct for your character’s background) at its full possible bonus of +5, without having to spend your normal background points on it.
    Adventurer Feat: Regardless of your level, you gain the bonus power Thief’s Strike in addition to your normal number of powers.

Attacks:
    Wicked Knife
    Melee attack
    Attack: +6 vs. AC
    Hit: 2d8+4 damage.
    Miss: 2 damage

Throwing Axe
    Ranged attack
    At-Will
    Hit: 2d8+4 damage.
    Miss: 2 Damage

Powers
    Evasive Strike
    Melee attack
    At-Will
    Target: One enemy
    Hit: 2d8+4, and you can pop free from the target.
    Miss: 2 Damage

Roll With It
    Momentum power
    At-Will (once per round)
    Interrupt action; requires momentum
    Trigger: A melee attack that targets AC hits you.
    Effect: You take half damage from that attack.

Sure Cut
    Melee attack
    At-Will
    Special: You must have momentum and be able to deal your Sneak Attack damage to the target if you hit.
    Hit: 2d8+4 damage
    Miss: Deal your Sneak Attack damage + damage equal to your level.

Tumbling Strike
    Melee attack
    At-Will
    Always: You gain a +5 bonus to all disengage checks you attempt this turn. You can also move to engage an enemy, make this attack against it, and then use a quick action to attempt to disengage from it (the quick action disengage lets you move again if you succeed).
    Hit: 2d8+4 damage

Thief’s Strike
    At-Will
    Attack: +6 vs. PD
    Hit: 2d4+ Dexterity damage (including Sneak Attack damage if any), and roll a normal save. If you succeed, you can pickpocket an item from the target that they are
    not holding. (If you roll 16+, the target doesn't realize you pick-pocketed them.)
    Miss: —

Bio
    The noble houses of the Silver folk educate all children of their house communally. A number of reasons are given for this tradition, such as ensuring that all the members of the house have the same potential for advancement, aiding the less fortunate members of the house, or knitting together bonds of loyalty from an early age. Managing to give this last reason while keeping a straight face is seen as a mark of honor among the Silver folk. Every member of every house knows the real reason: to let their children learn when and how to properly betray each other, while the stakes are still small. It's often been noted that, in the halls of the Silver folk, the "runts" of the classes often rise far beyond their peers. The most common explanation for this is that the frequent bullying inflicted on the weaklings by their stronger peers teaches one of the most important lessons of Dark Elf society:

Might makes right, but there are many kinds of might.

And so it was with Tarynton. After a particularly painful encounter with one of the house's bullies, Tarynton decided to pay him a visit that night. One hammer to the kneecap later, Tarynton was already halfway down the hall before the first scream was heard. The bully was on crutches for weeks. After another few "mysterious injuries" happened to people who picked on Tarynton, even the slowest of thugs picked up on the idea of looking for easier prey. One of the guardians in charge of supervising the children noted this, and Tarynton started to have more and more practical lessons. Lockpicking, stealth, alchemy. All that would be needed to become one of the Silver Court's Underhands. As an Underhand, he left his house behind in order to work for the good of their race as a whole.

For the Elf Queen has long held the Silver court in disfavor compared with their kinder cousins. However, in recent decades, the Elf Queen appeared to grow frustrated with the other court's inability to produce results abroad. Eager to rise in her favor, the Silver court has been more than willing to accept any and all projects that the Elf Queen wants accomplished. While She rarely seems to approve of the Silver court's methods, She has seemed more willing to entrust important tasks to their care.

And then the Green escaped from the Wood Elves' care. The Silver Folk pledge to do all they can to serve their Queen and recapture the Green.

The Wood Elves humiliated. The High Elves floundering. And a desperate task that falls right in the specialty of the Dark Elves.

If you didn't know better, you'd think it was planned.

But even the Silver court isn't THAT crazy.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I present to you Taldin Flintfist

Dw_Slayer_T3_01_15_Daarken.jpg

Name: Taldin Flintfist
    Class: Barbarian[+STR]
    Race: Dwarf [+CON]

Abilities
    STR: 16 (+3)
    CON: 16 (+3)
    DEX: 15 (+2)
    INT: 10 (+0)
    WIS: 12 (+1)
    CHA: 12 (+1)

HP/Defenses/Other
    HP 40/40, Recoveries 8/8 (2d10+4)
    AC17 PD17 MD14
    Initiative: +4

One Unique Thing
    I'm the bastard offspring of the Dwarf King. I've been given his lust for treasure, but not any of his awesome icon powers. My treasurelust has led me to become a mercenary working for the entity with the largest coinpurse. It's also gotten me into trouble on occasion. Some favor me due to my heritage and some shun me because of it. It's beneficial at times but it can also be a bit complicated to say the least.

Icon Relationships
    +1 Dwarf King
    ~1 Dwarf King
    -1 Orc Lord

Backgrounds
    (3) Sole Survivor - Whether it be from dwarven luck, dad looking out for me, or some innate skill, I've often been one of the few to emerge from situations when they got ugly
    (5) Hardened Mercenary - I've seen some shit.

Racial Feature
    That’s Your Best Shot? (Racial Power)
    Once per battle as a free action after you have been hit by an enemy attack, you can heal using a recovery. If the escalation die is less than 2, you only get half the usual healing from the recovery. Unlike other recoveries that might allow you to take an average result, you have to roll this one!
    Note that you can’t use this ability if the attack drops you to 0 hp or below. You've got to be on your feet to sneer at their attack and recover

Class Talents
    Building Frenzy
    One battle per day, as a free action after you have missed with an attack, deal +1d4 damage with your melee attacks until the end of the battle. Deal +1d4 additional damage each time one of your attacks misses, up to a maximum of +4d4 damage.
    Adventurer Feat: d6s instead of d4s

Slayer
    During your turn, when you attack a staggered enemy you were not engaged with at the start of your turn, deal +1d6 damage per level to that creature if you hit.

Unstoppable
    Once per battle, declare you’re using Unstoppable before making a barbarian melee attack. If your attack hits at least one target, you can heal using a recovery.
    Adventurer Feat: The Unstoppable recovery is free.

Attacks:
    Brumhilda (Greatsword)
    Melee attack
    Attack: +5 vs. AC
    Hit: 2d10+5 damage.
    Miss: 1 damage

Throwing Axe
    Ranged attack
    At-Will
    Attack: +4 vs. AC
    Hit: 2d6+4 damage.
    Miss: 1 Damage

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... That flowchart is a thing of beauty.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I'm interested, but probably wouldn't have time to roll up something for a couple of days. When are you looking to have submissions by?

• Options
    It has a certain poetry to it.

"The ornate crenellations of a brothel roof" is a masterstroke.

• Options
    @‌am0n I'm in no rush.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    @Oats what is your stance on multiple of the same class? And which races are considered optional? Forgeborn, Tiefling, Holy One and Dragonic?

am0n on
  • Options
    Anything goes.

I'm not sure six rogues would be optimal, but I'm happy to try.

Of note: the campaign is at least starting in the Elfen Queendom. Dwarfs may not be well respected there. Tieflings may not be well respected anywhere. And so on.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'll tack on feats in a bit, just putting up the first part of the character sheet first.

Edited: Feats and attacks have been added in.

VesnaTench-d6sc533_zps62ac43be.jpg

Name: Vesna Sorokin, the Second Sister

Class: Paladin [+Cha]
    Race: Halfling [+Con]

Abilities: Strength: 14 (+2), Dexterity 14 (+2), Constitution 14 (+2), Wisdom 10, Intelligence 10, Charisma 17 (+3)

HP/Defenses/Other
    HP 40/40; Recoveries 8/8 [2d10 + 2]
    AC:20; PD: 14; MD: 14
    Initiative: +4

One Unique Thing:
    Last student of the Ochre Chrysanthemum Style.

Icon Relationships:
    Crusader: Conflicted, 2
    Great Gold Wyrm: Conflicted, 1

Backgrounds:
    (4) Practitioner of the Ochre Chrysanthemum Style - Although a relative novice when compared to her elders, Vesna's grasp of the Ochre Chrysanthemum style fundamentals are not to be underestimated.
    (1) Otvashen Shieldmaiden - Vesna has served in a mercenary company before for a short time.
    (2) Second Sister of the Six Harmonious Swords Brotherhood - Vesna counts herself as part of this Brotherhood, a loose fellowship of fellow martial artists each representing a different school in the land.
    (1) Epicure - What is but the finest thing in life but a five course meal and a glass of that Topali brandy?

Class Talents:

Fearless
    Immunity to fear abilities and to any non-damage effects of attacks named or described as fear attacks. Also gain +1 melee attack bonus against enemies that are not engaged by any of your allies. This bonus increases to +2 against enemies with fear abilities

Hidden Pranas of the Ochre Chrysanthemum [Cleric Training]
    Choose one cleric spell of your level or lower. That spell is now part of your powers. (You can change out the spell normally)
    Adventurer Feat: You can use your Charisma as the attack ability for cleric spells you can cast.

Way of Evil Bastards
    When one of your Ochre Chrysanthemum High Techniques drops a non-mook enemy to 0 hp, that use of Ochre Chrysanthemum High Techniques is not expended.

Basic Attacks:

Unarmed Strikes
    Melee
    Attack: +2 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d6 + 2
    Miss: 2

Sapphire Breaker (Longsword)
    Melee
    Hit: 2d8 + 2
    MIss: 2

Griffon's Pinion (Spear)
    Ranged
    Hit: 2d6 + 2
    Miss: -

Powers:

Evasive (Racial Power): Once per battle, force an enemy that hits you with an attack to reroll the attack with a -2 penalty.

Ochre Chrysanthemum High Techniques [Smite Evil]
    Usable four times a day and once per battle.
    As a free action before you make a paladin melee attack roll, you can declare that you're using a Ochre Chrysanthemum High Technique attack, add +1d12 to the damage roll and deal half damage if it misses.
    Adventurer Feat: Your Ochre Chrysanthemum High Technique attacks gain a +4 attack bonus.

Hidden Prana Currently Internalized: Manifold Blossoming Fury Stance

Hidden Pranas [Spell List]

Coiling Perfumed Scent Strike [Javelin of Faith]
    Ranged Spell
    At-Will
    Target: One nearby enemy
    Attack: d20+2 vs. PD
    Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom holy damage

Manifold Blossoming Fury Stance [Hammer of Faith]
    Close Quarters Spell
    Daily
    Until the end of battle, your basic melee attacks use d12s as their base weapon damage dice.

Kirindal on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Edit: List is expanding!

am0n on
  • Options
    Ability mods work the same way, yes.

There are no free Feats, but Drow have a free racial ability of Cruel.

There are no intrinsically evil races/species except those the DM decides are universally dongs. Drow are generally angrier/angstier than their Wood/High cousins, but they still have a functioning society, are spread around the world and live, die, fall in love, etc.

The universe is pretty generic, and left intentionally blank to let the players and DM weave the specifics and embroider the details as they see fit.

Just off the top of my head, there's going to be an extinct line of halfling martial artists, survived solely by Vesna. Probably ruthlessly hunted by half-orc ninjas of the Goorudo Claw clan. Maybe that clan has thrown in with the Orc Lord and it gives our barbarian a stake in the fight.

Since this game is rather 4e-ey combat will definitely be A Thing. It won't be the only thing but there will be fights and fights are how "days" are measured for the purposes of daily spells and recoveries.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I might roll with something soon just to get some more gaming on. I'll post with something some time in the next day or two hopefully.

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    Ability mods work the same way, yes.

There are no free Feats, but Drow have a free racial ability of Cruel.

There are no intrinsically evil races/species except those the DM decides are universally dongs. Drow are generally angrier/angstier than their Wood/High cousins, but they still have a functioning society, are spread around the world and live, die, fall in love, etc.

The universe is pretty generic, and left intentionally blank to let the players and DM weave the specifics and embroider the details as they see fit.

Just off the top of my head, there's going to be an extinct line of halfling martial artists, survived solely by Vesna. Probably ruthlessly hunted by half-orc ninjas of the Goorudo Claw clan. Maybe that clan has thrown in with the Orc Lord and it gives our barbarian a stake in the fight.

Since this game is rather 4e-ey combat will definitely be A Thing. It won't be the only thing but there will be fights and fights are how "days" are measured for the purposes of daily spells and recoveries.

Awesome, thanks for the response. Do you have any feedback on the ability score/"skill" question and mixing of race "fluff" with stat blocks?

• Options
    I always loved the idea of someone's "background" being a piece of equipment. One of the examples I read was a bard who had a +4 Flute of Blasting. He used it to tear the dungeon apart. Which makes sense, considering that backgrounds are just a collection of skills you have. A dwarven miner would have done all the same stuff.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    So skill checks work thusly:

I say make a Con check to avoid BAD SHIT™

You say "Hey I'm a 2nd level fighter with a Con of 16" (so +3 mod).

You would roll a d20, and then add 2 for your level and 3 for your Con mod.

Now, say you had a background (which is 13th's answer to skills) that could somehow benefit you in dealing with BAD SHIT™, you would also add that to the roll.

The BAD SHIT™ might be a dragon strafing a forest with horrible poison. You may have been a snake eater (at +2), so you'd instead roll a d20 and add for 2 for level, 3 for Con mod and 2 more for having a terribly dietary history.

EDIT: Also feel free to reskin anything fluff. What @Kirindal did with Vesna is an outstanding example.

If you want to be a half-drow and just stat up as a drow go right ahead. If you want it to be central to your character, feel free to make it (part of) your unique. In my meatspace campaign one of the characters is a rogue who is visibly a wood elf, but statted up as a halfling and is halfling sized due to their unique.

Oats on
  • Options
    Okay. So for skills, which ability score is just DM discretion? Would it be possible to supply some examples of what might be an INT check and what might be a WIS check? The other ability scores are easy enough to map to something, but I've seen the line between INT and WIS blurred a lot and wanted to try and clarify my understanding of what they represent in this world.

• Options
    I'll generally ask for a specific stat, or give you the benefit of choosing your best of two. Perceiving a trail left by bandits could be Wis or Dex, for example, for either knowing how you'd sneak if you were a bandit (Dex) or finding tracks they didn't hide so well (Wis). Sneak will almost universally be Dex.

It's largely up to my hilarious and changeable whims though.

• Options
    Popped Free: Just means you are not longer being engaged (can move/ranged attack without provoking)?

Rapier: I can't find it listed as a Light or Martial weapon (http://www.13thagesrd.com/equipment). Can a Rogue use one? I assume yes, based on the fact that attack and damage is all the same, regardless of the weapon (i.e. a dagger still does 1d8 in melee)?

Starting Gear: The equipment page says we start with armor/weapons/standard traveling gear. Is the gold (i.e. Rogue says 25 gp) extra on top of that, or are we supposed to purchase our starting equipment with that money? From the sounds of it, it sounds like we just start with gear that makes sense for our class/background, regardless of the actual cost (but obviously within reason)?

• Options
    Popped free means you are still nearby to the monsters, you can move/cast spells/whatever freely without provoking AoOs (which are relatively rare in 13th thus far), yes.

Weapons (and really, all gear) are largely abstracted out in 13th. A rogue who has a weapon that fits their theme will likely roll d8s on it.

Starting gear is separate from wealth. You can take 25g or roll a d6 and multiply by 10 for starting wealth. Gear you have whatever is reasonable for you to have. Probably some kind of armour, a weapon, an extra dagger or three, etc.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for High Elf Sorcerer

Edit: I like that spread more than Farkas's.

High Elf Sorcerer:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 1], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 3] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 1], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 3], 2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Great, thanks again, Oats. I'll work on putting together the character tomorrow when time permits now that I've got something of a grasp on the character creation.

• Options
    Oh hell, let's live life on the edge!

Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for greatest stats possible!

I might go different route than dwarven elementalist, since @TheRoadVirus‌ has already got the dwarf spot nailed down. Human fighter wunderkind then!

greatest stats possible!:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 18 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 6], 4] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 2], 1] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 3], 2] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 3], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1]

• Options
    Random question, when it says the middle mod of stat/stat/stat does that mean the average of the three stats or the stat that falls in the middle. Like if I have 0/0/3 is the middle 1 or 0?

• Options
    The middle is zero.

You're looking for the median, not the mean.

• Options
    My defenses are going to suck...

• Options
    edited March 2014
    For finding the middle value of one's defenses, does one add together the modifiers, and then halve the total? I am finding myself a bit puzzled. EDIT: Ah, Grunt's Ghosts was wondering the same!

PACherrn on
  • Options
    Great minds, ect.

• Options
    Apparently Geth takes requests, huh @pacherrn ?

• Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »

It bloody looks that way, doesn't it.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Name: Davinne du Lac, The Great Hope

9xrevf2auqxb.jpg

Class: Fighter (Con)
    Race: Human (Dex)

Abilities:

Str: 18
    Con: 17
    Dex: 12

Int: 10
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 15

HP/Defenses/Other

HP: 44
    Recoveries: 9/9 (2d10+3)
    AC: 19 PD: 15 MD: 12
    Initiative: +3

One Unique Thing:
    I was the youngest general in the Dragon Empire, ever. Some say by merit, other more vile tongues say it was because the Empire needed a poster-child, and that I fit the bill.

Icon Relationships:
    The Crusader - Positive relationship (+2): He speaks to me at night. His wisdom gives me strength.
    The Emperor - Negative relationship (-1): He has never forgotten that I left his service, so that I could walk my own path.

Backgrounds:
    Imperial General (+4) I've fought wars and commanded men, from the front!
    Poster-child for the Imperial Army (+2) And I've had to suffer through one nobleman's ball after the other, both to raise money for the war-effort, and to celebrate our victories.
    Athlete (+2) I keep myself at peak physical condition.

Racial Feature:
    Quick to Fight. (Racial Power)
    At the start of each battle, roll initiative twice and choose the result you want.

Class Features:
    Extra Tough
    You start with nine recoveries instead of the usual eight.

Threatening
    Whenever an enemy attempts to disengage from you, it takes a penalty to its check equal to your Dexterity or Constitution modifier, whichever is higher.
    The penalty doesn’t apply if you are stunned, grabbed, or otherwise incapable of making an opportunity attack.

Adventurer Feat
    Whenever an enemy fails to disengage from you, you also deal damage to that enemy equal to your Dexterity or Constitution modifier. At 5th level, damage is double the modifier. At 8th level, it’s triple.

Class Talents:

Counter-Attack
    Once per round when the escalation die is even and an enemy misses you with a natural odd melee attack roll, you can make a basic melee attack dealing half damage against that enemy as a free action. (The attack can’t use any limited abilities or flexible attack maneuvers.)

Adventurer Feat
    Your Counter-Attack attack now deals full damage.

Heavy Warrior
    Once per battle while wearing heavy armor, when you are hit by an attack that targets AC, as a free action, you can take half damage from that attack instead.

Skilled Intercept
    Once per round as a free action, roll a normal save (11+) to intercept an enemy who is moving to attack one of your nearby allies. You can pop free from one enemy to move and intercept the attack. If you are engaged with more than one enemy, the others can take opportunity attacks against you.
    The moving enemy makes its attack with you as a target instead. If you’re wearing heavy armor and the attack hits, you only take half damage.

Class Maneuvers:

Defensive Fighting
    Flexible melee attack
    Triggering Roll: Natural 16+; if you fight with a shield, also any natural even roll
    Effect: Gain a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.

Grim Intent
    Flexible melee attack
    Triggering Roll: Any natural even miss
    Effect: The next time you would deal miss damage with a melee attack, add a WEAPON die to that damage. At 5th level, instead add 2 total WEAPON dice; at 8th level, instead add 3 total WEAPON dice.

Shield Bash
    Flexible melee attack
    Special: You must be using a shield.
    Triggering Roll: Any natural even roll
    Effect: The target pops free from you after the attack (does not allow opportunity attacks).

Adventurer Feat
    If the target is also engaged with any of your allies, you can have it pop free from them as well.

Strong Guard
    Flexible melee attack
    Special: You must be using a shield.
    Triggering Roll: Any miss
    Effect: One ally next to you (including an ally engaged with the same enemy as you) gains a +2 AC bonus until the start of your next turn or until you are no longer next to them.

Attacks:

Melee: Warhammer
    Attack: +6 vs AC
    Hit: 2d8+4

Ranged: Heavy Crossbow
    Attack: +3 vs AC
    Hit: 2d8+2

@Oats‌
    This is my first attempt at a 13th age character. If some things don't work, please let me know so I can change them about :) I still struggle with the concept of the AC and the defenses, as I am not a native English-speaker, which makes the wording rather confusing in my head :P EDIT: Updated Backgrounds bit, and I think I have the ac and defenses sorted out. EDIT again: Added picture! I wish I could have found one who looked even younger, maybe even with short hair. But images with warhammer fellows is in short supply it seems :(

PACherrn on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Capfalcon wrote: »

I would not dare complain! Geth and I are pals from now on!

PACherrn on