As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Speaking of odd trucks, I saw a Suzuki pickup the other day. It looked pretty new too. I...didn't even know they made pickup trucks when they still existed.

Ok turns out it wasn't made by Suzuki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Navara - which would explain why it looked so familiar.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i miss tiny pickup trucks

chevy S-10, Ford Ranger, that mazda truck, that toyota truck, that nissan truck (gee maybe this is why they don't exist anymore)

if it were possible to buy a truck that wasn't the size of a single-wide trailer I would probably own one as a daily

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Only pickup I ever owned was a 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T

Worst fucking vehicle in the snow I have ever driven.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

chevy S-10, Ford Ranger, that mazda truck, that toyota truck, that nissan truck (gee maybe this is why they don't exist anymore)

if it were possible to buy a truck that wasn't the size of a single-wide trailer I would probably own one as a daily

I would 100% buy a small truck to daily drive. I just want a little pick up with just enough extended cab for some jump seats, a short bed, a turbodiesel 3 or 4 cylinder engine, and a 6-speed manual. I feel like there's a decent market right now for a small, relatively fuel efficient truck. It doesn't even have to be 4x4! I mean, I would buy a 4x4 version, but I don't absolutely need it.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Know what I would customize into a truck/ute if it were anything resembling feasible? The Volvo XC70.

But then the Subaru Baja is already basically the exact same thing, so why bother

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I wish there were more utes on the American market because those and small pickups are infinitely more appealing than the "enough muscle to pull Luxembourg" approach that even the Japanese companies have taken on by now

• Options
    Yeah I know there's a million and one videos out there of Hayabusa powered Smart Cars. That still make them look any less ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

http://jalopnik.com/lets-celebrate-the-50th-birthday-of-americas-worst-tax-977715943

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I wish the Baja had a better engine.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Are there no "small" pick-ups available on the American market at all?

There are so many of them, and they are built by virtually every manufacturer under the sun!

There's the Ford Ranger, the Holden Colorado, the Isuzu D-Max, the Mazda BT-50, the Mitsubishi Triton, the Nissan Navara, the Toyota Hilux, the Volkswagen Amarok...

Not to mention all the shittier cheap utes that ostensibly occupy the same class but are cheaper made and less well equipped, like the Foton Tunland, the Great Wall Wingle, the Mahindra Genio, the SsangYong Actyon, the Tata Xenon, the ZX Auto Grand Tiger...

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I think the only small/compact trucks are the Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, and Nissan Frontier. I wouldn't call any of them small compared to what a 'small' truck used to be. If anything they're all about as big as full sized trucks from a few years ago.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Yeah, very few options. The Chevy/GMC are the same truck and this is the first year they've sold them after a several year absense. The Tacoma is about 2/3 of the market. Full-size trucks outsell "small"/mid-size 10:1.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    The huge pickups are, I think, exclusively in the US. Every other country has light pickups (which still handle high capacities fine) and if you are in a business that needs to haul a couple of tonnes there are small trucks, by which I mean actual trucks. half size 18 wheelers and flatbeds etc

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I don't even consider those small trucks. Those are like mid-sized at best. I want 1990s ford ranger small.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah if you need to carry around more than this:

161pl-hilux-4x2-workmate-single-cab-hero-940x529.png

can stand in Australia, you buy one of these:

16382.jpg

What's that you say? You need a crew cab, or 4x4, or running on CNG, or with a tip tray?

That's cool, you can get all of that in that same vehicle if you want. Air seats too if you want, so they're comfortable as fuck to drive around all day in, too.

There's really no actual reason for things like the Ford F650 to even exist.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'll have you know that this is totally required for all my trips to and from the office and/or grocery store and/or dropping the kids off at soccer practice

0705dp_02_z%2Binternational_mxt_truck%2Bfront_view.jpg

Al_wat on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Pretty much exactly what chris said. Keep in mind the hilux can carry everything an ordinary tradesman could ever need and the truck is for the hauling of actual construction gear. A lot of guys just have a trailer on the hilux though

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Are there no "small" pick-ups available on the American market at all?

There are so many of them, and they are built by virtually every manufacturer under the sun!

There's the Ford Ranger, the Holden Colorado, the Isuzu D-Max, the Mazda BT-50, the Mitsubishi Triton, the Nissan Navara, the Toyota Hilux, the Volkswagen Amarok...

Not to mention all the shittier cheap utes that ostensibly occupy the same class but are cheaper made and less well equipped, like the Foton Tunland, the Great Wall Wingle, the Mahindra Genio, the SsangYong Actyon, the Tata Xenon, the ZX Auto Grand Tiger...

Thanks to the chicken tax (see that article above), none of the foreign manufacturers can import their small pick-up trucks, which I'm guessing reduces competition domestically. The Ford F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the US, and most of the domestic manufacturers stopped making compact and mid-sized pickups a few years ago. From what I can tell, it looks like sales dropped off to the point they didn't want to make the anymore, but it also looks like they stopped updating them, so who knows which came first.

There's also machismo involved. There is a large segment of this country where being a "Ford guy" or "Chevy guy" is a big deal, and in that case you certainly don't want the smallest thing in the county.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    yeah there are "small" trucks in the US, but we don't have anything close to what the Ford Ranger used to be

The smallest might be the Nissan (which goes by a different name here) and that's still a 4-door 4-seater

this is what I would want
    504520_02_1997_ford_ranger_xlt_640.jpg

Jasconius on
  • Options
    yeah there are "small" trucks in the US, but we don't have anything close to what the Ford Ranger used to be

The smallest might be the Nissan (which goes by a different name here) and that's still a 4-door 4-seater

this is what I would want
    504520_02_1997_ford_ranger_xlt_640.jpg

You should hassle Ford or Chevy to bring in either the Falcon ute or the Commodore ute. 2wd, V8 engine options, LSD... Just about every young bloke with a little bit too much cash and something to prove buys an SS ute (that's the Commodore ute with an LS3, 6 speed manual, big brakes and sports suspension), then they put Chevy badges on it and proceed to do burnouts in it until they get it impounded.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    That's our youths too, except replace Commodore SS Ute with RAM 1500 4x4

Edit: Because oil patch

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Yeah, ever since every midwestern country music listening 20-40 somethings started to want the biggest $60,000 truck they can find, the small trucks are dead. I honestly don't understand the appeal of driving a full-size, crew cab, extended bed, 4x4 truck everyday. One of the biggest complaints about the work vehicle I had (a super duty F150) was the fact that I never, ever, not once, used the bed or 4x4 and I'm just wasting a shit ton of money on gas. I'm not saying everyone should be driving a subcompact to save the dolphins or anything; but it seems like a huge waste of money to drive a truck like that. Now that the fracking boom is dead, I wonder how many of those 20-40 somethings regret buying the most expensive truck on the lot.

But man, I would love to own a Ford Ranger for those times when I can to get a project going and head out to Home Depot.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Here is why there aren't more small trucks, among other things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So here's the car I bought I meant to post a picture of but I'm lazy and bad at pictures

Fj6V4jUh.jpg

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    you have selected the right engine

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Now, how many pedals does it have?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Another reason that small trucks are dead in the US is the emissions regulations. The allowable emissons is partly based on the size of the vehicle, making it a lot easier to get something F150 sized through than ranger sized. It makes Ford's life a lot easier if they can sell people who'd normally buy a Ranger an F150 in terms of total allowable fleet emissions.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Now, how many pedals does it have?

Enough for me

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Another reason that small trucks are dead in the US is the emissions regulations. The allowable emissons is partly based on the size of the vehicle, making it a lot easier to get something F150 sized through than ranger sized. It makes Ford's life a lot easier if they can sell people who'd normally buy a Ranger an F150 in terms of total allowable fleet emissions.

A couple of the car video channels I like to watch on Youtube have hosts that sometimes make little snarky quips at emissions regulations "this kind of thing would never fly in California" etc. etc.
    Sometimes I just wanna slap them upside the head and remind them that before the oil crisis and the emissions regulations coming in, you used to be able to buy 9+ litre petrol V8 engines that made less than 200 horsepower and were lucky to get 5 miles per gallon. Now you can buy a Chevy 6.2 litre V8 crate motor that puts out more torque and double the horsepower of one of those old boat anchors and can achieve 25+ MPG from an engine that is physically smaller and weighs less than half as much as well, so you get way better ride, handling and stopping thrown into the mix as well.

Would that have ever happened if US car companies hadn't been forced to lift their game? They had the biggest market in the world, huge amounts of money coming in, and yet they still managed to dig themselves into an enormous hole by the time of the GFC

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Now if only the regulations didn't favour massive trucks, the US might be more incentivised to make cars more suitable for the rest of the world.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Now if only the regulations didn't favour massive trucks, the US might be more incentivised to make cars more suitable for the rest of the world.

I know, right? The F-150 being the top selling vehicle every year since the late 90s has really warped the whole market.

• Options
    Ford does make cars suitable for the rest of the world still. They make the Transit, and I think they still even sell the Ranger in South America

• Options
    Ford does make cars suitable for the rest of the world still. They make the Transit, and I think they still even sell the Ranger in South America

The majority of Ford's "world" cars aren't designed, engineered, or built in the US.

• Options

The majority of Ford's "world" cars aren't designed, engineered, or built in the US.

Afaik neither are the ones sold in the US... A lot of US fords are built in Mexico.... Then maybe one screw gets turned in the US for symbolic purposes

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Ford has a number of assembly plants still here in the US.

• Options

They sell the Transit here, but because it's made in Turkey, they have to add seats and stuff to classify it as a passenger van for Chicken Tax import purposes then they strip that stuff out and recycle it once it gets to the US so it can be used as a cargo van.

• Options
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    Ford has a number of assembly plants still here in the US.

Yes, I know that. They're mainly used for cars sold in America though, aren't they? I don't imagine too many Fiesta STs being built in the states.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My car was built in Flat Rock. The new RS is going to be built in Germany, I think. These days, location really doesn't mean much anymore.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I, personally, will only buy cars made on Earth.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Goddamn Martians took our jerbs!

This discussion has been closed.