As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prime 2014 Hotel Discussion (official hotels are not live)

• Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    The Hotel Max is another good one that is close, just FYI

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    I never planned a hotel for Prime before. I know what the big 3 for East are, but which Hotel(s) are the best for pax prime?

Depends on what your primary Prime objective is. If you're heavy into cosplay, the Sheraton is probably where you want to be so you don't have to walk quite as much.

Hmm, it seems like the heavy crowds (both people coming into/exiting the hotel as well as people travelling for panels) may make it cumbersome for those with bigger costumes.
    If you're into tabletop, my vote would go for the Olive 8 because their TT area was far and away the best one in the entire convention.

It's pretty neat, to go from your room to looking through a library of games to check out inside of a minute. :)

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Quick question as I have never run into this situation before.
    If Hotel reservations go on sale before tickets, what is the cancellation policy through onPeak? I want to make sure I can cancel a reservation if I don't get tickets as that is becoming a more likely scenario each year Prime gains popularity.

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Spud387 wrote: »
    If Hotel reservations go on sale before tickets, what is the cancellation policy through onPeak? I want to make sure I can cancel a reservation if I don't get tickets as that is becoming a more likely scenario each year Prime gains popularity.
    Usually 72 hours notice if paying with a credit card. Not sure for other payment methods.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

I know for the past couple years hotel reservations went live the same time as tickets. My first year they went live after tickets.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hotels going live after tickets would be great. Being stuck in 2 crashing websites at once is pretty stressful.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Hotels going live after tickets would be great. Being stuck in 2 crashing websites at once is pretty stressful.

I kind of like the simultaneous release. It forces people to make choices: Book the hotel and risk having to scalp your badges, or get your badges and risk having to pay through the nose for your hotel. It creates a certain equality to the process.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Usually 72 hours notice if paying with a credit card. Not sure for other payment methods.

The late cancellation charge also varies by hotel: I cancelled about 24 hours before East 2013 (decided eating the charge + sharing with someone else was still cheaper), and it cost me 1 night's stay as a late fee.

• Options
    JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular
    Was anyone else super bummed the Sheraton didnt have a hot tub? My group of rowdy Canadian friends typically partake in drunken festivities and meet some great people in that hot tub, I was pretty sad it wasnt there anymore.

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    JasonGreve wrote: »
    Was anyone else super bummed the Sheraton didnt have a hot tub? My group of rowdy Canadian friends typically partake in drunken festivities and meet some great people in that hot tub, I was pretty sad it wasnt there anymore.

#firstworldproblems

• Options
    Axon wrote: »

#firstworldproblems

Wouldn't anything pertaining to a hotel stay whatsoever be considered a first world problem? I'd like to think so at least....

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Anyone do AirBnB for this last year? Was it a good idea?

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular

Yes, AirBnB stories would be great! I was considering this for this year!

bn4KEyz.png
  • Options

#firstworldproblems

Wouldn't anything pertaining to a hotel stay whatsoever be considered a first world problem? I'd like to think so at least....

This whole forum is #firstworldproblems :P

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I've started a new thread in PAX general, hopefully going to get some responses on the AirBNB service. Asking more people can only get more information for all of us.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189397/airbnb-experiences-you-got-em-we-want-em?new=1

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Doesn't AirBnB charge for the whole stay up front? It's a great alternative to hotels, but does have that downside.

• Options
    This whole forum is #firstworldproblems :P

(nods strongly)

• Options
    TheWatchGuardTheWatchGuard Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    dm_magic wrote: »

Yes, AirBnB stories would be great! I was considering this for this year!

I actually have used it in NYC and Orlando before I moved there. It works great, I've never had a bad experience. The family I stayed with in NYC was very friendly and even had locks on the bedroom door for my peace of mind. They guy I stayed with in Orlando is still one of closest friends to this day. Make sure you stay at an AirBnB verified place though.

Control your own destiny or someone else will
  • Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Hello all, completely new to PAX, but really wanting to go this year for self fulfillment reasons. :3 Anyways, my question is simply: What is a good hotel for a pair of people who just want a clean, peaceful place to stay that is close by, and hopefully on the cheaper end? ...Also preferably with the kitchenette, because I would rather go shopping and cook than go out to eat every day.

Thank you. :3

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Nearby + kitchenette = Homewood Suites. 2 blocks from the center, basically full kitchen (minus oven). Not sure if it qualifies as "cheap" though; last year a quad occupancy room was $240/night after tax.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    That sounds like it is more on the spendy end, hmm... thankfully I am only looking for a two person room, but still. I will keep it in mind though, thanks.

Does the Sheraton have kitchens? Last I recall it was cheaper than that. I also want to say that the Red Lion was cheaper too...

I was assuming most hotels were around $200 a night. =x

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Does the Sheraton have kitchens?

They definitely do not.

• Options
    Good to know, thanks.

Are kitchenettes common or uncommon for hotel rooms? I have only ever stayed at a single Hotel, which was technically a ship (the Queen Mary), which obviously did not have them, so I am... new to all of this. X3

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Good to know, thanks.

Are kitchenettes common or uncommon for hotel rooms? I have only ever stayed at a single Hotel, which was technically a ship (the Queen Mary), which obviously did not have them, so I am... new to all of this. X3
    They are very uncommon. Only specific types of hotels will have them, and they are usually not cheap.

• Options
    That sounds like it is more on the spendy end, hmm... thankfully I am only looking for a two person room, but still. I will keep it in mind though, thanks.

Does the Sheraton have kitchens? Last I recall it was cheaper than that. I also want to say that the Red Lion was cheaper too...

I was assuming most hotels were around $200 a night. =x

$240 a night isnt bad for a quad occ at homewood suites. My invoice from last year for the Sheraton was $209 a night, so $30 more a night for essentially an apartment instead of a hotel room. 4 nights only adds $120 to your total cost if thats the case, broken down by the amount of people staying.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Hmm... could it be assumed that a two occupancy room at the Homewood Suites would cost 220 then? I believe I read in the FAQ that you add 10 dollars or so for each occupant.

Also, this is a dated question, but my homie was curious: Do restaurants still offer a free breakfast, or is that practice gone?

DustyStarr on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Also, this is a dated question, but my homie was curious: Do restaurants still offer a free breakfast, or is that practice gone?

I don't know about the homewood suites, but some hotels still offer free breakfast (that usually isn't very good). The Sheraton, however, does not - as do most of the "name" hotels (e.g., the Marriott, the Hilton, the Sheraton). If you stay at a hotel on the level of a hampton inn, you usually get free scrambled eggs/waffles/cereal.

Axon on
  • Options
    Homewood has a complimentary breakfast buffet.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Homewood has a complimentary breakfast buffet.
    And dinner, but only on non-holidays. Last year, we arrived just in time to partake of the free food for dinner. Nothing special, but better than the usual Continental 'Breakfast' (AKA a glass of juice/coffee and a wimpy croissant) one sees often.

I think I might have some pictures somewhere (some friends were asking what they were offering, and no, I did not post them on instagram ;) ) if interested.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Complimentary as... included in the price of the room? If so, homewood suites it is. Might not be fabulous, but getting some free meals will definitely help lower the price.

I would be interested in seeing, bacon. :3

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Complimentary as... included in the price of the room? If so, homewood suites it is. Might not be fabulous, but getting some free meals will definitely help lower the price.

I would be interested in seeing, bacon. :3
    Yes, included in the cost of the room. I never gave them any cash when I went down to partake, nor did they ever make sure I was a guest or record anywhere that I had gone down and got something.

Dinner and a breakfast. The serving area is kind of small, but you take what you want yourself (not cafeteria style where they give you a fixed portion). There also wasn't anything saying you couldn't queue up more than once.

http://i.imgur.com/xwq09P9.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/bJEqL8v.jpg

Nothing amazingly special, but better than some I've seen. They also offered wine and beer (was supposed to be local stuff IIRC, I didn't partake of that so I don't know if they limited everyone to a single glass or not).

Bonus picture, a view of the kitchenette:

http://i.imgur.com/4wAzrxu.jpg

There is a standard dishwasher under the sink, and a set of plates/cups/pots and pans/eating utensils in the cupboards and drawers. They really are set up like a small flat and aim for the 'home away from home' thing, especially with the grocery shopping service they offer.

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Heh, looks nice enough, thank you very much. :3

Did they offer any fruit at all, or would be something that I would need to buy from the store?

• Options
    Hmm, so there is a PAX discount that some hotels offer. Generally how much is that? And does it change the daily rate at all? I see people talking about how this hotel, such as Homewood, is so and so many dollars per night, but when checking out their site, the prices vary from different nights... has me a little confused and concerned.

• Options
    brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    Yes there is generally a discount on rooms. PAX uses OnPeak to block off rooms at hotels and to negotiate special rates/deals with the hotels offered through the service. The actual discounts vary year to year and hotel to hotel.

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • Options
    Are the special rates consistent like people here say? Like, an even 240 a night for all nights?

• Options
    I believe so yes, at least my reservation from last year just shows a "$205/night average rate" (If anyone is interested this was at the Renaissance)

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
  • Options
    How was the hotel? :3

• Options
    The room was very nice, clean and seemed newly updated and came standard with a mini-fridge. My only problem with the hotel was it was a bit farther away from the other hotels, still within easy enough walking distance but all uphill which can be killer after a full day of walking around PAX.

• Options
    Hmm, sounds like a possibility then, thanks. :3 Even just a mini fridge can keep store some groceries. Though if Homewood is not much more then I will go for it for the free food, obviously. X3

Still, thank you kindly. :3

Oh! One last question, sorry. X3 How many occupants did that room have?

• Options
    It was a quad occupancy room with 2 double beds. Still had plenty of extra space to the sides of the beds too!

This discussion has been closed.