As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suns out, guns out [Strength Training]

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Darn it, I pulled my lower back today because I was trying to rush my barbell rows and not watching my form.

Aaaaand I probably made it worse than it otherwise would have been because, instead of being sensible and easing up immediately, I decided that I should push through 4 more sets.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Went away for a bit and the hotel I stayed at didn't have a bar of any sort. Used dumb bells instead. Not bad, I'll have to add those to my training at some later point.

Fuck off and die.
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Couldn't just steal the towels like everyone else, huh?

Also, I've just realised that you meant there wasn't a barbell, rather than that you couldn't get drunk so frustratedly pumped iron instead.

Prolegomena on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I've got a sweet cold but don't want to miss a workout, maybe I can drug myself into being functional for a while.

And obviously wipe down everything I use a bunch at the gym.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Two years in the making I've hit my weight goal of 175. I was 236 in May 2014 after graduate school making a total weight loss of sixty one pounds.

I did four series of p90x divided by a months of starting strength and insanity. Also stopped virtually all eating out, learned to cook, and cut back my admittedly large of alcohol use.

I can now do ten dead hang pull ups, which as a fat kid growing who to do those presidential fitness tests best feeling I've had about myself.

Tomorrow marks my last p90x workout. Where to go from here? Other than new wardrobe.

Biggest regret is I never took a before picture.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    I've got a sweet cold but don't want to miss a workout, maybe I can drug myself into being functional for a while.

And obviously wipe down everything I use a bunch at the gym.

Don't do it mane! Sick workouts just lead to more sick workouts.

@MegaMan001‌ - What are your goals? Strength? Size? Endurance? Gotta figure that out before you ask for advice.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    It's too late for me, it was a truly sick workout indeed

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Two years in the making I've hit my weight goal of 175. I was 236 in May 2014 after graduate school making a total weight loss of sixty one pounds.

I did four series of p90x divided by a months of starting strength and insanity. Also stopped virtually all eating out, learned to cook, and cut back my admittedly large of alcohol use.

I can now do ten dead hang pull ups, which as a fat kid growing who to do those presidential fitness tests best feeling I've had about myself.

Tomorrow marks my last p90x workout. Where to go from here? Other than new wardrobe.

danno man, i suppose it depends on what your goals are now, but way to go

poo
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

danno man, i suppose it depends on what your goals are now, but way to go

Think about some of the physical stuff you like to do and start training to do those better would be my recommendation. If your body is able, and it sounds like it is, try new physical activities! Never played tennis? Give it a shot! Go bouldering, or maybe do one of those tough mudders. You are at a weight and fitness level perfect for springboarding into new activities.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    or, deadlift a truck

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Compromise: deadlift a car and hold it while you think.

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

This part speaks directly to me. Also, my terrible terrible mile times as a child, coming in when all the rest of the kids were already sitting around waiting for us to finish.

I would download a car.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    this presidential fitness things were silly cuz they just made you do them but you never really trained or practiced for them iirc

so then you just felt bad if you were out of shape like me

poo
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Don't worry, they're teaching future physical educators how to do better!

At a time when schools are eliminating physical education

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    after a week of swimming I had a little more juice for shoulder lifts

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited July 2014
    I hit a plate milestone this week too! Pushed 225lbs for 3 reps on my 7th set on Bench. :o

Also, had a follow-up appt. for my plantar fascitis. Dr. says it looks to be healing well, maybe another 3 - 4 weeks.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

This part speaks directly to me. Also, my terrible terrible mile times as a child, coming in when all the rest of the kids were already sitting around waiting for us to finish.

I want to kiss you on the mouth for this.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Oh my god I love chalk so much.

Bought some of the liquid stuff and pulled 270x5x1 so easy without the bar sliding around in my dumb slippery hands.

Also pressed 130 for 4/4/4/4/3. Felt pretty good, think I'll be doing 135 soon enough!

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    I'm watching the crossfit games and it makes me so angry

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm watching the crossfit games and it makes me so angry

That's a special kind of masochism you're suffering from there DL...

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Maybe they'll replace the Olympic weightlifting event with cross fit.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Great, now there's blood coming out of my ears and nose...

That's what irritates me is that this bullshit is given attention and money and USAW nobody gives a fuck

I want USA dominance on a platform, not dipsticks pressing out snatches for time and then some muscle ups

Also the interviews with the guys competing are brotastic and I just don't understand

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    "It feels out there. I mean, it's a major rush. I mean, it feels radical in kind of a tubular sort of way, but most of all, it feels out there."

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    there's a dude that goes to the rec center that I go to
    and the times I've seen him, his workout consists entirely of freaking the fuck out with some light dumbells
    is that crossfit?

Tam on
    Just to play devil's advocate a little tiny bit, Crossfit has exposed a million zillion people to barbell training and specifically Olympic lifting that would never have given it a shot otherwise. It's also multiplied by a million the number of gyms that have bumper plates and bars, for people who want to really do some weightlifting. The Crossfit games might be stupid, and I'm not going to argue that because I don't have an opinion either way, but I have to imagine that the trickle down effect is doing more good than harm.

And without crossfit, who else would we make fun of

Bodybuilders, duh.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    So I've finally started to get actually for real serious about my nutrition, got a portable grill and enough chicken breast to last forever, and also protein shakes

My bench is actually starting to go up! I hit 125 today for 5x5. I feel like 130 will be a rough one though. Ill just eat more.

My barbell row is kinda shitty though and I think it has to do with my form. I've seen pictures and videos and stuff but I'm getting conflicting instructions and and not super clear on what I should be doing

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Bodybuilders, duh.

Dem puffy non-functional muscles lol

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Franco Columbu World like to have a word.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Columbu

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Franco's a manlet so his numbers don't count.

In case it wasn't obvious, but I was just parroting a commonly held fitness-ignoramus belief up there :P

Smolov front squat day 8 today! My knees have not exploded! Did 132.5kgx3x10 and damn is that a lot of sets. I also failed to bench more for 3x5 than last week :(

I just had a cold bath and sat in there for about half an hour. My legs feel sooooo good now.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    wait what
    his numbers don't count cause he's short?
    what :(

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Franco's a manlet so his numbers don't count.

In case it wasn't obvious, but I was just parroting a commonly held fitness-ignoramus belief up there :P

Smolov front squat day 8 today! My knees have not exploded! Did 132.5kgx3x10 and damn is that a lot of sets. I also failed to bench more for 3x5 than last week :(

I just had a cold bath and sat in there for about half an hour. My legs feel sooooo good now.

Well it's kind of true though. Strength is a by product of bodybuilding but is in no way the focus of the sport. There is however some legit strong body builders out there. Johnnie O Jackson comes to mind as well.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    All of the top bodybuilders are mad strong, I wasn't making fun of them for that.

well I think geared powerlifters are silly, so there!

Look, if you don't want to get super fat and squeeze yourself into so many layers of denim that you have a heart attack and die then I don't know what to tell you.

• NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Running Greyskull LP and got 3x5 90kg for my bench press today. Not a lot of weight but I'm pretty happy with it, given my last run of an LP I stalled at 75kg.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Peen wrote: »
    Bodybuilders, duh.

You're welcome to try.

This discussion has been closed.