As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suns out, guns out [Strength Training]

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    The Stick.

The stick.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    The Dumbbells stop going in 2.5 increments after 55

I did 10 incline at 60
    But couldn't do 2 at 65 why

poo
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    The Stick.

The stick.

Looks like I'm getting a stick.

Today 405 stopped to have a nice chat with my knees on the way up (Rep 5). They hung out for about eight seconds. Lifting while dropping body weight is a damn trial.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    First week is going well. Not really sore at all, which is kind of surprising. I'm guessing that will start next week when I add the 20 extra pounds to each percentage.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hit the weights hard the last couple of days and I am sore today.

What's the best way to help with the soreness? Is there any specific foods or protein drinks or anything I should consider?

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    If it's really really bad then a cold/ice bath will help with the soreness. Contrast shower is a passable alternative if you really can't face submersing in cold water.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nooo, no icing, no. There's other articles about it if you hate Kelley Starrett.

Ibuprofen, get enough protein, keep lifting regularly. It'll get better.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'll do some ibuprofen and give myself a rest today.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Nooo, no icing, no. There's other articles about it if you hate Kelley Starrett.

I thought ibuprofen messed with muscle growth.

Or am I thinking of something else?

• Options

With respect, that is about icing injured tissue rather than contrast work for soreness. If my word isn't good enough, there's always this http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/08/how-should-we-ice-then/

• Options
    I'm not sure an ice bath is the same thing as contrast work, but ok.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My attitude to soreness is to ignore it. It goes away and generally doesn't come back for a long time. Save ibuprofen, ice etc for real injuries.

• Options
    I'm not sure an ice bath is the same thing as contrast work, but ok.

You're right they aren't the same, but their purpose is reducing soreness as opposed to using ice directly on an injury which is to reduce inflammation, and which I pretty much agree with KStar's reasoning on.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Ice baths are great if you're training hard enough

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    And it's gotta be real fucking cold, like 40 degrees for 15 minutes or so

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    If you can get a cold whirlpool, those are amazing.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Benched 225 for 5 reps today after carb loading with cookies and eggnog

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    didnt get to record it since there was no where to put my phone this time, but I hit 330lbx1 on the squat, wanted one more so I racked it took big ol'breath, squatted like I had to shit then with sweat gristle and a lot of grunting, I ground out a second single.

so that is officially twice my bodyweight, so I am cool with that. I am taking next week off, so all in all, not the worse way to wrap up 2014.

• Options
    Unicron80Unicron80 Registered User regular
    Found this thread from the Holiday thread. Not sure why I never ventured into SE++ before. Must be my delicate sensibilities.

I know this thread is awesome because the first link is Rippetoe. I am a new disciple. Already got two of my buddies on it.

Hit my weight goal of 200 lbs by Dec 31 (two years ago I was 178, but I'm also not young anymore). Had an inconsistent year with injuries, sickness and periodic lack of gym (translation: excuses), but the time I did dedicate to the workout resulted in big gains.

My hope for 2015 is a year of consistent workouts so I can get some great progression. Shooting for 210 or 215 by the end of 2015.

Hope y'all are having a great holiday season, thanks for the invite from the holiday thread.

Steam: Unicron80 PSN: Hawkbeard
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Wife wants to get me a rack for my birthday.. So the question goes out, what should I go with?
    Need to be able to use to bench with as well so safety bar spacing should be small.

I would imagine a 600 pound range? I can squat mid 300 and dead almost 4 plates right now. I can't see squatting much beyond maybe mid 4? At some point I will probably add in other exercises to assist with deads.

I will try to find used weights to save some $. Maybe same with bar too

• Options
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    Wife wants to get me a rack for my birthday.. So the question goes out, what should I go with?
    Need to be able to use to bench with as well so safety bar spacing should be small.

I would imagine a 600 pound range? I can squat mid 300 and dead almost 4 plates right now. I can't see squatting much beyond maybe mid 4? At some point I will probably add in other exercises to assist with deads.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=475&pid=5416

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    First time deadlifting with the new belt I got for Christmas. First time with a proper 4" belt as well.

Decided to drop 35 pounds off my 5RM just to check things out and I'm glad I did. It was weird, things felt nice and tight but I could tell I was super messy. Once I get used to it and tune my form I think I'm going to get some great sessions out of it.

Second time squatting with it at 15 pounds under my 5RM, working back up from a de-load. I don't know that I get as much out of it for sqauatting. It doesn't seem as natural to need the belt as it does for deadlifting, if that makes sense. I'm not moving shit-tons of weight in either of them, but I just seem to have less trouble bracing my abs when I squat.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Squat PR -162.5kg. Now to eat numerous eggs.

• Options
    ToddJewell wrote: »

I'd go grab one of these at Dick's. They've got a full rack too if that's your jam. I went to the store and jumped on it yesterday and it seems pretty legit, it's probably what I'm going to get after we get our house and I start my home set-up.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    The holiday strength thread was so nice! Thanks for the infos on rest-between-sets times. I've been lifting 3x/week since late September and it's way fun, so I'll be stopping in here more often. <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Alright folks! I need to know if something is possible or not.

I'm going on a flight in July and need to be able to "Fit comfortably with the arm rests down" in a 17" seat. I'm currently about 325lb and wear a 44/46 waist. My office chair is 21" wide and I fit comfortably with the arm rests down in it. Do you think it's possible to squeeze into a 17" seat in 6.5 months?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Although, depending on how comfortable you want your 'comfortable' to be, it's going to be a lot of work. Like, you're going to need to lose 3 pounds/week lot of work. Start swimming for an hour each day. No pool? Cycle. No bike? Jog. Go easy on your knees, though.

• Options
    I'm not sure what would be comfortable. 260? 220 would be down to a pretty decent walking around weight. Regardless, yes, that can be done in six months with diet and exercise. I wouldn't say you have an excess of wiggle room (hurr) though.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Alright folks! I need to know if something is possible or not.

I'm going on a flight in July and need to be able to "Fit comfortably with the arm rests down" in a 17" seat. I'm currently about 325lb and wear a 44/46 waist. My office chair is 21" wide and I fit comfortably with the arm rests down in it. Do you think it's possible to squeeze into a 17" seat in 6.5 months?

I'm usually about 280 on vacation and have never had trouble expect with the shoulders.

Real question is how much of a beast do you want to look like in the pictures.

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    I'd go grab one of these at Dick's. They've got a full rack too if that's your jam. I went to the store and jumped on it yesterday and it seems pretty legit, it's probably what I'm going to get after we get our house and I start my home set-up.

That looks pretty good, especially for the $$. There is a store about 2 miles from me as well.

• Options
    And it's on sale this week, I'd strike while the iron's hot.

• Options
    Also back in the gym for the first time in almost two weeks, do I overdo it and have trouble walking for a week or proceed sensibly and remain intact? We'll see!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yeah. Although, depending on how comfortable you want your 'comfortable' to be, it's going to be a lot of work. Like, you're going to need to lose 3 pounds/week lot of work. Start swimming for an hour each day. No pool? Cycle. No bike? Jog. Go easy on your knees, though.

My current plan is to hit the gym 4 times a week doing weight work, then at least once a week do hiking. I'll pick up more biking and such as the weather improves. I have knee sleeves for the outdoor activities and wraps for the gym, so I'll be careful.

My trip is to the southwest, and hiking and other outdoorsy activities are the plan, so for sure need to be in decent shape. It's nice having the motivation of a trip!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah I was 250 last time I flew? For me it's just leg room and shoulder room that makes it uncomfortable.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Flights... the one instance I am glad for being a manlet

poo
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I decided to run 531 again in the new year and see where I can go, working in more bodybuilder kinds of accessories. Hit 265 for 10 in the squat tonight with no belt or wraps or sleeves or whatever then did some pause squats and single leg-leg press. Walking is hard.

Peen on
  • Options
    While I'm pretty happy with the program I've come up with for this hotel style gym, some exercises are fast becoming pointless. 50lbs just isn't a heavy enough dumbbell for benching. I guess I could try superslow negatives or something.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Flys?

• Options
    Shot another deer.

Which means more proteins.

• Options
    Flys?

Yeah, I'm doing flies on my density day. It's the "strength" day that I feel is being kind of wasted. The two other big problems are the leg press and dumbbell rows. Most other stuff I can finagle. Perhaps I'll throw in a set of press/fly combos at the end of my strength sessions. Which are now more like volume days. Oh well.

This discussion has been closed.