As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SMITE: Now on PC, Xbone, PS4... and Mac!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    My friends list is empty. I can't add anyone, and my friend has the same experience. Thoughts?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I think Smite's having server weirdness

probably not enough staff on hand to fix it because most of the company is doing SWC right now

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    And now, to determine who represents NA in the grand finals, Cog Red vs. Cog Prime, best of 3, is about to begin.

http://www.twitch.tv/smitegame

Dranyth on
  • Options
    grand finals in 45 minutes! wooooooooooooo!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Up to 54k 60k! viewers for the start of the grand finals, come join! http://www.twitch.tv/smitegame

This best of 5 is for the difference of $800k between 1st and 2nd place!

Dranyth on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    So it looks like some super fancy Season 2 just started. The new interface is making it really hard to convince me that I'm not queuing for a match of Starcraft 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, there's been quite a bit of discussion about the new UI, on the reddit and were talking about it a bit over on the SE thread as well. I hope Hirez does something about it it because functionally it's a mess and the style of it just doesn't fit Smite at all.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Yeah, there's been quite a bit of discussion about the new UI, on the reddit and were talking about it a bit over on the SE thread as well. I hope Hirez does something about it it because functionally it's a mess and the style of it just doesn't fit Smite at all.

Yeah. I can understand shoehorning in a bad UI style for some weird corporate reason or another, but how the hell do you have it obviously clipping other parts of the UI? That's objectively terrible, not some "oh you'll get used to it" thing as in a lot of other instances. I keep hunting for the option that lets me drastically reduce the size of it, but it looks like it's not there.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @ThatDudeOverThere YOU HAVE THE POWERRRRRRRR

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I switched you to thread author because I keep forgetting to update it

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Hirez is changing up the schedule this week and Patch Notes/God Reveal is going to be at 4:00pm Eastern, which is in just under 20 minutes at: http://www.twitch.tv/smitegame, with the PTS coming tomorrow. They have already spoiled a couple of the skins being revealed, we have some sort of Luchador/Wrestler Hercules:

Xbone Zeus:

And WTF Scylla?

Edit: And just spoiled, New default skin for Ymir?

That's just a guess on my part based on the tweet, but it would seem super lackluster if it was just a new Ymir skin.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Ymir doesn't have a favor recolor, that might be it.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    But it's not even a recolor, it's waaaay too close to his current look. Just with a bit more detail. Granted, this is the loading screen card, so who knows...

Edit: And yes, new default skin for Ymir, good good.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Buying that Scylla skin, that's hella cool.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn it, and here I was NOT playing the game and being tempted to buy skins.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    cross posting from SE++

IGN has started a dedicated Smite podcast, separate from their normal IGN Arena podcast.

There isn't anything on the page to indicate that this is a sponsored thing, but personally I'm taking that fact with of a grain of salt. Haven't actually given it a listen yet, so I don't know if it's any good.

• Options
    So, did they nerf Bellona yet? I can't say I've done any sort of in depth analysis into the issue, but I do know that she is in essentially every game I've played, on both sides. And that my team loses the few times that she's just in every game but not on both sides. And it's really boring/frustrating to play against her so damn much even if she's not as OP as everyone keeps saying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Fiatil wrote: »
    So, did they nerf Bellona yet? I can't say I've done any sort of in depth analysis into the issue, but I do know that she is in essentially every game I've played, on both sides. And that my team loses the few times that she's just in every game but not on both sides. And it's really boring/frustrating to play against her so damn much even if she's not as OP as everyone keeps saying.

Personally I think she might be a tad over-tuned at the moment, but for the most part I think it's that she's a new god so people are still learning to play against her which is difficult because her kit is very broad and allows her to play multiple roles consistently well. We'll see though.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Yeahhh, my sample size is big enough now that she is absolutely OP at the level I'm playing at. I'm going back to assault full time until something happens. I have yet to see someone do poorly as Bellona, and she is in every single game. It seems like they forgot the "master of none" part of that phrase....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeahhh, my sample size is big enough now that she is absolutely OP at the level I'm playing at. I'm going back to assault full time until something happens. I have yet to see someone do poorly as Bellona, and she is in every single game. It seems like they forgot the "master of none" part of that phrase....

Think I'm going to have to agree, now. I was okay with her at first, but good builds and tactics have spread out and become popular. She needs tuning, but they need to be super careful.

• Options
  • Options
    Aww yeah, patch! Aww yeah Bellona nerfs. All assault all of the time has been fun, but I'm excited to play some other modes again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    after the patch reveal and it was announced that it wouldn't go live for a full week I just took a break from the game

feels good to be jumping back in though

• Options
    in light of incoming new Clan features, I've made a new one, PAForumsWangers, tag PAFW

let me know if you want an invite

• Options
    If you were considering trying Smite and needed an excuse to give it a go, there is a pack that unlocks all gods currently released and all upcoming ones that is normally $30, but will be dropped to $20 at some point this week. Of course, there ARE ten free gods (five that are static and five that change every patch), if you were thinking of jumping in its completely free to play.

If anyone wants to try, let me know and I'll do my best to show you around. Can't give too many protips as I'm thoroughly average myself, but I'll be happy to help at least with the basics.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I occasionally play this (mostly assault because I am frequently playing solo and don't really like conquest because I am lazy).

I would actually recommend against the god pack if you like assault, because there's a good chance it will saddle you with gods you don't like. If you actually prune your god tree by unlocking the ones you like (through the occasional 5 god changing rotation), you'll basically be set with gods you can use in assault. Mostly.

If you don't care about assault though, then the god pack is a nice choice for offering variety/lots of things to test out.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Hello PA smiters. I play this. A lot!

You should add me (BradicusMaximus). So we can play together. A lot!

• Options
    I occasionally play this (mostly assault because I am frequently playing solo and don't really like conquest because I am lazy).

I would actually recommend against the god pack if you like assault, because there's a good chance it will saddle you with gods you don't like. If you actually prune your god tree by unlocking the ones you like (through the occasional 5 god changing rotation), you'll basically be set with gods you can use in assault. Mostly.

If you don't care about assault though, then the god pack is a nice choice for offering variety/lots of things to test out.

I would argue FOR the god pack ESPECIALLY for Assault. You learn so much by the game shaking things up every game, instead of being saddled with flavor of the month comps nearly every game.

• Options
    in light of incoming new Clan features, I've made a new one, PAForumsWangers, tag PAFW

let me know if you want an invite

Also, seriously, do this, playing with entirely random teams has been super frustrating lately and I know I'm not alone.

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So I can buy all the gods now for $20 and it transfers to Xbox One? SOLD!

Accualt on
  • Options

Also known as the best time to play SMITE.

I am working on diamond Xb though, so I may try regardless with the x2 worshippers...

• Options
    edited April 2015

I agree with this 100%. I'm always tempted to buy the god pack, but I know I'll be stuck in assault as a random assassin I hate and it will be a lot more difficult to trade out of it. I feel like I have just about every god I want from unlocking them with favor, and whenever a different one catches my eye I'm always fairly close to having enough to buy them. I've always tended towards playing a wide variety of characters rather than having an obvious main, but it seems better to strike a balance and not buy all of the gods.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

I agree with this 100%. I'm always tempted to buy the god pack, but I know I'll be stuck in assault as a random assassin I hate and it will be a lot more difficult to trade out of it. I feel like I have just about every god I want from unlocking them with favor, and whenever a different one catches my eye I'm always fairly close to having enough to buy them. I've always tended towards playing a wide variety of characters rather than having an obvious main, but it seems better to strike a balance and not buy all of the gods.

Knowledge is power! Learning about how each god functions through playing is the best way to learn how to play against them. I can play every single god in assault in an acceptable manner because I've had to learn, and it's been rewarding for every other mode, being prepared by knowing the toolkits I'm going up against.

I totally understand not wanting to play a certain style, but part of the game is building a knowledge base and not doing so can hurt not just you, but your team as well.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Knowledge is power! Learning about how each god functions through playing is the best way to learn how to play against them. I can play every single god in assault in an acceptable manner because I've had to learn, and it's been rewarding for every other mode, being prepared by knowing the toolkits I'm going up against.

I totally understand not wanting to play a certain style, but part of the game is building a knowledge base and not doing so can hurt not just you, but your team as well.

I definitely agree with your point, I just choose my own enjoyment over having and intimately knowing every god. Through the shifting free pool of gods and playing a lot of assault I've done a good amount of playing different play styles, and know that there are some gods I never want to play. I like playing every role, but some gods within certain roles aren't particularly fun to me. Then you add in that most people wont have a lot of the gods that I have if I buy the pack, and so I wont be able to easily trade out of gods I really don't like in assault. Because I love me some assault, there's a lot of value to me in not having every hero.

I fully admit that it's a very particular way of looking at the god pack, and not really suited for most people. It's a great value if you don't feel the same way, and there's always a part of me that wants to buy it to be able to experiment more in the other modes.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    You keep saying that, but there's no good reason to throw someone in head first. You're slowly going to get acclimatized to all of the different gods through the free rotation if you keep playing (or you'll see one you like and buy it with favor or you'll get some unlocks through their social media stuff).

I'm not sure how the matchmaker works (...I'm not even sure Hi-Rez does), but I would hope and assume it places most new players against other new players for the first few levels, in which case there's a good chance you'll really only need to become familiar with 10-15 gods at first (which is similar to TF2 or CoD other games with 5-8 player classes. Once you're familiar with those, you'll likely have a patch that's adding a new god or swapping out the rotation and giving you 5 new gods to learn; and you may have seen someone in Arena or a random in assault that looks interesting. So you organically grow what you're familiar with (and hopefully ask your teammates questions or look up your enemies in-game or online to find out how they're working if something seems weird).

There are basically 70 gods and it's going to take you well over 70 matches to become familiar with them all without seeing them played by other people or having someone explain what to look out for (even then, it'll still take time to get used to it). Buying gods yourself is basically learn at your own pace; the god pack is "Alright, the AP exam is tomorrow. Start yer book learnin'."

Bunch of MOBAs have the same problem. You overwhelm new players by forcing them to be familiar with everything instantly. So I'd really only recommend the god pack once you've been playing for awhile.

It also kind of ruins the unlock progression, so all of your thousands and thousands of favor are going to go towards assault re-rolls and buying skins (which is not as satisfying as picking a new god in my experience).

/wall of text