As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Punk and Hardcore Thread 2007: omg _____ is a sellout!1!

Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
2006>2007...

Upcoming releases:
Gaslight Anthem-Jan. 29
The Loved Ones- Feb.
The Draft- Feb.
Protest the Hero- Jan. 29th

More to be added as the year goes on.

Alchemist449 on

• Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Alright, I can tell you're not a fan of emo so it's not that big deal but defining emo as MCR, Hawthorne Heights and others is way off. I am assuming that your purpose of labeling bands along with genres was to define and possibly guide discussion, if not I apologize.

With your "some what" accurate detail of classifying the other loose genres this is inaccurate. An anology I can come up with would be labeling "plain ol' punk" as "Green Day, Blink 182, every single band we love to bash."

If you want a proper discussion edit in some older emo (Heroin, Moss Icon, and maybe Saetia) or some newer "late 90's" (Sunny Day Real Estate, Braid, "Old" Get up kids, Jawbreaker, Jets to Brazil) or some more mainstream (Death Cab for Cutie, "New" Get up Kids, Saves the Day). But saying MCR and HH is not starting it off right. This is all subjective of course so if someone has a counter argument that they do define the genre stand up so I can throw things at you. :P

Personally since I've been a fan for years I'd go with (Heroin, Moss Icon, and maybe Saetia) so some people still not put off by the "emo backlash" can find some good shit.

Anyway, I'm always on look out for more bands whether they be old or new. I've personally been fiendishly on the look out for another sound like d.b.s. I've been a fan for years but it was after their break up in '98-'99. One singer went off to Operation Makout, the other singer went off to Red Light Sting along with the drummer (another great band but almost entirely different than emo punk d.b.s.) and last time I heard helps run Ache Records which Blood Brothers were on. It is how I first heard about BB. Just learned that Operation Makeout split too. I'm going to have to hunt some more since google always pulls up everything but the original websites if they are still up and it's been a couple years since I had the links. They all had mp3's for download.

Porphyria Plan on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, I've never understood the hate for pop punk.

Say what you will about Green Day, but they really did a lot to bring modern punk into the mainstream. I wouldn't have heard of a lot of bands if not for them, and really, I think American Idiot in a lot of ways really gets back to their "fight the man" roots, which they got away from a lot in Dookie and Warning (don't get me wrong, I love Dookie, but it's not really all that punk).

Thanatos on
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like pop-punk. But not Green Day and Blink182 so much. I'm more into the 90's Fat Wreck bands (and their imitators) like Lagwagon, NUFAN, Pridebowl, Craig's Brother, Crotch Rockets and so forth.

So. Who wants to talk about Propagandhi?

The Cheese on
    edited April 2007
    Honestly, I think Blink 182 has more in common with Emo-punk than they do with Green Day. I always hear the two compared, but I really don't see the resemblance, other than they're both considered "mainstream," but so is Brittney Spears, and I doubt you'd say either has a lot in common with her. They have two totally different sounds, they sing about totally different things; they're not really similar at all.

Thanatos on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    I don't really dislike pop punk, enjoyed the last Green Day album, enjoy pieces of Anti-Flag, and kind of guiltily enjoy My Chemical Romance, even though I mostly listen to older stuff. I still haven't really figured out what emo is exactly - anything that encompassess SDRE and DCFC is a pretty broad category. I will say that I hate hate Husker Du, which is sometimes given credit as a progenitor of Emo. I kind of like Fugazi though.

Is Bad Religion considered "hardcore" still?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been meaning to make this thread for a really long time.

The Mr. T Experience lives on in my mind as the greatest pop punk band of all time. Kerplunk is the best Green Day album, and Blink 182 was never all that good.

Propaghandi is awesome.

Your definition of Anarcho Punk is off, too. The bands that you list are more folk-punk bands than anything else. Anarcho Punk is stuff like Crass, Conflict, Rudimentary Peni, etc.

Street Punk is certainly not the Dead Kennedys, though a lot of street punks like them. Street/drunk punk is stuff like The Casualties, Blanks 77, and The Dead Boys.

Hardcore is so much more than those bands, too. It's pretty much a different genre these days. Youth Crew, Thrash, Metalcore, and a lot of other subgenres really make it a separate entity from the loud, fast punk of old.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I look forward to listening to some new Streetlight Manifesto and LTJ. We should try to keep this tread light and sweet with the declinationing of subgenres, 'cause really who cares when the music is awesome.

The Mad Caddies have an album coming in May!
    702_Mad_Caddies_Keep_It_Going.jpg

I think NOFX is putting out another live album.
    Good Riddance is done :(

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Honestly, I think Blink 182 has more in common with Emo-punk than they do with Green Day. I always hear the two compared, but I really don't see the resemblance, other than they're both considered "mainstream," but so is Brittney Spears, and I doubt you'd say either has a lot in common with her. They have two totally different sounds, they sing about totally different things; they're not really similar at all.

Very true. I think a lot of it is that they both hit the mainstream pretty close together, and so they both got lumped together as "mainstream punk." Personally I like some Blink-182, including a lot of the stuff of Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch.

I also agree that Green Day gets a lot more shit than they deserve. I think The Offspring is a thousand times worse, if only because of the direction they've gone since hitting the mainstream (I still like Ignition, and Smash wasn't too bad either.)

OP fails for lack of so much as a mention of Social Distorion.

So yeah, Against Me!. Seems like every time they pop up on something like Pandora, or they have a song on a compilatino I like, I end up digging it. I'm thinking I may need to go pick up one of their albums. Anybody familiar with them care to suggest one to start with?

mcdermott on
    edited April 2007
    Listen to anything early from Against Me!, particularly the Crime 7" if you can find it. Anything before "Reinventing Axl Rose" is going to be better than anything after.

Bad Religion hasn't really been "hardcore" since 1985.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited April 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I heard that and was saddened. Satanic Surfers also called it quits.

The Cheese on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    OP fails for lack of so much as a mention of Social Distorion.
    He didn't mention Bad Religion, The Descendents, the Pogues, or Screeching Weasel either. THere are a lot of worthy punk bands out there.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2007
    I also agree that Green Day gets a lot more shit than they deserve. I think The Offspring is a thousand times worse, if only because of the direction they've gone since hitting the mainstream (I still like Ignition, and Smash wasn't too bad either.)
    Americana was pretty good (though, I got really sick of "Pretty Fly for a White Guy).

Thanatos on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

Are you listening to the latest Blink 182 stuff or the older stuff, because they definitely got a bit emo, but only on their last CD

Also Failure to Mention Motion City Soundtrack, -10,000,000 points

Kusuguttai on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The_Cheese wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    I heard that and was saddened. Satanic Surfers also called it quits.

Damn it. I never got to see them live.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Also Failure to Mention Motion City Soundtrack, -10,000,000 points
    I kind of like them, but I didn't know they were considered punk.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2007
    Yeah they're punk

Kusuguttai on
    edited April 2007
    Are you listening to the latest Blink 182 stuff or the older stuff, because they definitely got a bit emo, but only on their last CD
    I would consider their music closer to Emo pretty much from that one single where they were running around naked that was on MTV's top 10 for most of my lifetime.

It's not so much the sound as the subject matter, though. Green Day has historically tended to be a lot more political.

I'm surprised to hear no mention of AFI, or The Living End.

Thanatos on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

No, they're not, except in that they're both popular. That's it. Green Day is much more punk-sounding, except on Warning, but really, how punk can it be with an acoustic guitar?

Blink really wasn't emo until the last CD. "Feeling this" is still an awesome song, because the verses are all about having sex. The early stuff, especially Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch, were decidedly un-emo.

Me Too! on
    edited April 2007
    My favorite punk bands, in rough genre listings:

Anarcho/Crust:
    Crass, Aus Rotten, Rudimentary Peni

D-Beat:
    Tragedy, From Ashes Rise, Skit System, Disfear

Hardcore:
    Indecision, The Suicide File, early Bad Religion, Excessive Force, Hatebreed, Kid Dynamite, Lifetime, Refused

Mid-90's Vegan Straightedge:
    Earth Crisis, Day of Suffering, Gather, Tears of Gaia, Seven Generations, Green Rage, Left For Dead, The Swarm

Pop punk:
    Green Day, The Mr. T Experience,

Folk punk:
    Early Against Me!, Mischief Brew

Punk rock:
    Rancid, The Unseen, The Pinkerton Thugs, The Explosion

Ska punk:
    Against All Authority, Catch 22, Operation Ivy, The Readymen, INDK, Choking Victim

Classics:
    The Clash, The Buzzcocks, Cock Sparrer, The Pogues

Lots more.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited April 2007
    I would consider their music closer to Emo pretty much from that one single where they were running around naked that was on MTV's top 10 for most of my lifetime.

It's not so much the sound as the subject matter, though. Green Day has historically tended to be a lot more political.

"What's My Age Again" isn't emo. I find it hilarious. I don't think they're ever really being emo in most of their older stuff, I think they're just having fun doing whatever. Plus Travis Barker is a brilliant drummer.

Kusuguttai on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

"What's My Age Again" isn't emo. I find it hilarious. I don't think they're ever really being emo in most of their older stuff, I think they're just having fun doing whatever. Plus Travis Barker is a brilliant drummer.

I think Travis makes every band better. Boxcar Racer? Awesome. Blink? Awesome. +44? Awesome.

Angels & Assholes? Suck. They're the only one that Travis never played in. Coincidence?

Me Too! on
    edited April 2007

It bothered me when I saw them live and the lead singer (I don't know if I ever knew his name) procceded to tell the crowd how parts of Canada we're bigger than Texas. As if the crowd gave two shits whether the Texan proud love how big the state is. Everyone around me had a WTF expression. It would have meant a hell of a lot more if he'd done that in a country bar.

Regardless, I enjoy the band a lot. My father took How to Clean Everything cd from my sister and gave it to me because she was too young. It was such a great CD. Their later stuff never stuck except for Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes.

Porphyria Plan on
    edited April 2007

I think Travis makes every band better. Boxcar Racer? Awesome. Blink? Awesome. +44? Awesome.

Angels & Assholes? Suck. They're the only one that Travis never played in. Coincidence?

the transplants are an abortion of a band
    your theory fails

Kusuguttai on
    edited April 2007

Um...I think they've always been a bit emo. Lyrically, at least, if not in music style.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2007

the transplants are an abortion of a band
    your theory fails

Isn't that the same one with Tim Armstong.

If so it was an abortion. One song play in a shampoo commercial. I refuse to let it taint my feeling for Op Ivy.

Porphyria Plan on
    edited April 2007

Um...I think they've always been a bit emo. Lyrically, at least, if not in music style.

I can kind of see that in Take of Your Pants and Jacket a lot more than I can see it in Dude Ranch or Enema

Kusuguttai on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Newer punk (current Against Me!, Zolof and the Rock and Roll Destroyer, MXPX)

MXPX has been around a good while, they're not new. Of course they were on that whole Christian punk thing back in the 90's, but they edged away from that with Life in General and subsquent albums I think.

3lwap0 on
    edited April 2007
    If this thread is going to be nothing but Blink 182-related talk, I might as well bail out now.

That's like the metal thread talking about nothing but Poison. I mean, it kind of fits, but not really.

For the record, "emo" is a very specific subgenre of music. It doesn't do to use the slang and just apply it to everything about girls. It gets too fucking confusing. If you're going to talk about punk, go listen to to Rites of Spring and Embrace and get back to me about what "emo" is.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I like pop-punk. But not Green Day and Blink182 so much. I'm more into the 90's Fat Wreck bands (and their imitators) like Lagwagon, NUFAN, Pridebowl, Craig's Brother, Crotch Rockets and so forth.

Prop is from my city! I don't care for them!

I also don't like the weakerthans. Propaghandi at least rock out a little bit, but there are better bands from Winnipeg. The Squareheads and The Insaniacs are both vastly superior, but then, they're not hardcore bands, they're punk bands.

Honestly I don't think there's a pop-punk band I like. I liked Bad Religion up to the early 90s. I guess some of that gets a little poppy. That's it though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited April 2007
    what about sublime are they punk
    i'm listening to them is why

Kusuguttai on
    edited April 2007

I got burnt out on AFI. I still like them, I guess, but more often than not when they come on now I hit skip.

I'm not terribly familiar with The Living End. What I've heard, I liked, and I apparently like them enough that I've not thrown out/sold my old car stereo because I accidentally left the one CD of theirs I bought many moons ago in it when I took it out and installed my know one. I keep telling myself I'll hook it up to 12V at some point at get the CD out. Which I never have, since I have it ripped onto my computer anyway and it's not really worth the effort.

Yet still the CD player sits in my closet.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2007
    defrag wrote: »
    If this thread is going to be nothing but Blink 182-related talk, I might as well bail out now.

That's like the metal thread talking about nothing but Poison. I mean, it kind of fits, but not really.

For the record, "emo" is a very specific subgenre of music. It doesn't do to use the slang and just apply it to everything about girls. It gets too fucking confusing. If you're going to talk about punk, go listen to to Rites of Spring and Embrace and get back to me about what "emo" is.

If you keep this up you'll have deni posting here in no time and also when he gets here he should know that I really dig Saetia and am glad he suggested them and Mineral is also okay but not nearly as good

Pheezer on
    edited April 2007

I hope you're not talking shit about Poison. I don't want to have to hurt you.

Also, I don't know if Sublime is considered punk, but some of their songs definitely are and most of the rest have strong punk influences.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2007
    I'm going to add a note about genre discussion, too.

A very big part of punk, both musically and as a culture, is arguing about what is and isn't punk. It follows that this thread should have some of the same kind of discussion in it.

AFI is a damned good band. I used to really dislike them, but living in the Bay Area has given me a new appreciation for them. Davey still comes to small shows and supports his friend's bands, which is a huge part of why I started to get into them again. It means a lot to punk to continuously support local bands, and for someone who's in such a huge band to be at birthday party basement shows rocking out shows how much "punk" integrity he's got.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited April 2007

It bothered me when I saw them live and the lead singer (I don't know if I ever knew his name) procceded to tell the crowd how parts of Canada we're bigger than Texas. As if the crowd gave two shits whether the Texan proud love how big the state is. Everyone around me had a WTF expression. It would have meant a hell of a lot more if he'd done that in a country bar.

Regardless, I enjoy the band a lot. My father took How to Clean Everything cd from my sister and gave it to me because she was too young. It was such a great CD. Their later stuff never stuck except for Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes.
    It's safe to say that you should never take anything they say very seriously. They opened the Ottawa show with "HELLO TORONTO! HOW ABOUT THOSE MAPLE LEAFS!?"

The Cheese on
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »

If you keep this up you'll have deni posting here in no time and also when he gets here he should know that I really dig Saetia and am glad he suggested them and Mineral is also okay but not nearly as good

You are right about Saetia/Mineral but they are a bit different in style.

Edit* Haha, Got it Cheese, he really delivered it in a deadpan way so I catch it now. Fuck I'm slow.

Porphyria Plan on
    edited April 2007

Jawbreaker. You'll thank me later.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited April 2007

Jawbreaker. You'll thank me later.

Yeah honestly I was listening to Jawbreaker six years ago and I thought they were kind of meh then and am significantly less impressed with them now

Sorry dawgg

Pheezer on
  • TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, I've never understood the hate for pop punk.

Say what you will about Green Day, but they really did a lot to bring modern punk into the mainstream. I wouldn't have heard of a lot of bands if not for them

It's just that they brought it so far into the mainstream that pop punk is ubiquitous. Not only that, it's been ubiquitous since Green Day became popular over 10 years ago. I liked it in the 90s but now I'm just plain tired of it, and these bands have been getting progressively worse all this time.

I kind of like Leftover Crack, but I don't really know what to say about them. At the last show of theirs I went to, the opening act didn't show because the lead singer of LC stabbed him with a machete the night before.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
    edited April 2007
    AFI is a damned good band. I used to really dislike them, but living in the Bay Area has given me a new appreciation for them. Davey still comes to small shows and supports his friend's bands, which is a huge part of why I started to get into them again. It means a lot to punk to continuously support local bands, and for someone who's in such a huge band to be at birthday party basement shows rocking out shows how much "punk" integrity he's got.

That's fucking awesome. I always love hearing shit like that.

I still remember my first punk show...I wasn't really into anything remotely punk, had never really listened to it much, and a couple guys were going. I was bored, it was cheap, so what the hell. Goldfinger, circa 1994, smallish club. Still one of the best shows I've ever been to, ever in the history of ever. And I don't even like Goldfinger that much anymore.

mcdermott on