As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] Comic #4 Out Now!

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    xzzy wrote: »
    mountainlab would actually work for prop hunt if you made zero changes to the map.

I guess maybe disable playerclips because a lot of it is blocked off from the play area.

Pretty sure we played on a manor prop hunt before, around the time of Safety First.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Another tour another professional killstreak kit

For the fire axe :(

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    shorts, I get it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    So I was messing around again with routes on cp_crater, and was thinking of doing a test run with a 3CP configuration. Has anyone ever played a map that did this, or have an opinion on it?

Way I see it's basically KOTH with a sudden death component which might work, but I'm not sure. I'm generally a fan of normal 5CP because you get an extra buffer to mount a defense before the last point unlocks, but KOTH is a fun mode too.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    You could give it a shot, but I feel like it'd negate the need for a lot of the map where second is. It'd just be a pain in the ass to get around.

Still worth a test, though.

More layout changes for crater, I've opened it up quite a bit and I think it might be a neat change:

cp_crater_b5_overview.jpg

The new routes along the edge are 128 units below the main fighting area, so it's a rather long route for classes that can't explosive jump.

It's kind of a mess right now, lots of bad textures, still a bunch of the old upward textures, and a ton of clip brushes are all kinds of messed up. But I've done stopwatch runs around the map and none of the new routes are faster than old ones, the biggest problem is probably going to be that there's too many flank routes. But I think if people get used to checking their back constantly there's an opportunity for some fun new gameplay in there.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    like anyone ever looks behind them unless you, yes YOU, are playing spy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    From that video linked last page:

DNdyOPj.jpg

Another picture that intrigues me. I almost want to make something still shot like these in SFM.

488W936.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Pitted someone with the squirt shot on nucleus. All is right in the world.

It took me like a full minute to process that typo.

BRB changing my strange sydney sleepers name to "Squirt Shot".

I meant it.

2014-07-24_00001_zps9b820c08.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited July 2014
    Photos from Valve in 1998:

http://imgur.com/a/YxcSu

The money shot:

pjmll6I.jpg

Yep, Hammer's an old fucking program.

(technically it might actually be worldcraft at that point, but it would become Hammer by the time Source is released)

xzzy on
    This is a thing that just happened.

I forgot to turn on the SDK, which isn't necessary to run Hammer anymore, but I do it to keep track of my mapping time.

And while I'm taking Hammer screenshots:

tsKWs0A.jpg

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

I forgot to turn on the SDK, which isn't necessary to run Hammer anymore, but I do it to keep track of my mapping time.

What can I say? I worry.
    Worry that you're not meeting quota! This isn't a spa, you got shit to do!

What's this word you are using? It feels like you are stopping without saying it all the way. Are you trying to say this isn't a spaghetti?

I was wondering why you still ran the SDK, I guess I should have just known it's because you're a huge nerd and not because of some weird technical reason.

Gotta track dem datas.

tsKWs0A.jpg

I'm thinking that if you decide you don't like that cave there, there's good supporting structures in that area that you could make it a building, maybe even with a window out into the skybox.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Gotta track dem datas.

Obviously they need to add a set of cards to the SDK.

With the "Carve Tool" being the rarest.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    xzzy wrote: »

tsKWs0A.jpg

I'm thinking that if you decide you don't like that cave there, there's good supporting structures in that area that you could make it a building, maybe even with a window out into the skybox.

I've thought about doing something like that, but all my nifty support stuff inside would have to go! And you know how much I hate losing detailing time! :rotate:

Trying to break up some of the flat plane cut out of the buildings surrounding mid now:
    YnQCGLr.jpg

I've thought about doing something like that, but all my nifty support stuff inside would have to go! And you know how much I hate losing detailing time! :rotate:

I thought everything in there was just props and a couple displacements?

Maybe you could leave the cave on red side, and since blu gets more of an industry theme they get some sort of corrugated metal shack. Or leave it like it is, it still looks fine, but if you want to do EVEN MORE DETAILING the option is definitely there and would fit well.

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    What's this word you are using? It feels like you are stopping without saying it all the way. Are you trying to say this isn't a spaghetti?

On a lonely planet spinning its way to damnation, amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver?
    Yes, the it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Oh crap incoming! The Fourth Annual Saxxy Awards

SFM just apparently got updated with a new Portal content pack for it as well, so Portal videos are fair game too.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    I would be so happy if the winner for "Drama" this year was a dialogue between two animators discussing the difficulty of creating drama in a cartoon world.

Oh, yeah, and a update.

July 24, 2014 - TF2 Team

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Fixed a case where move speeds could be exploited using player view angles
    Fixed an exploit related to Bonk! Atomic Punch and Crit-a-Cola
    Fixed cosmetic items not using the correct team skins when attached to ragdolls
    Fixed a bug related to cancelling the Eureka Effect taunt and teleporting immediately
    Fixed baseballs causing teleporter exits to detonate
    Updated The Five-Month Shadow to fix a paint-related problem
    Updated The Merc's Mohawk so it can be equipped by all classes
    Updated the equip_region for the Exquisite Rack

Updated beta map pl_cactuscanyon

Redesigned the alternate window route over the choke point by stage 2 capture point 1
    Window overlooking second stage final capture point is now a doorway
    Removed stairs leading to back barn in stage 2 near final capture point
    Back alley behind water tank in stage 2 is now a 1-way drop down
    Added small health pack in the small room off the back stairwell flank near stage 1 capture point 2
    Fixed players building in spawn rooms

Updated beta map rd_asteroid
    Mode changes
    Players must steal at least 25 points before they can leave the vault with the reactor core
    Updated power core pick up sound
    Updated robot death effects and sounds
    Updated HUD layout

Map changes

Layout has been adjusted with the overall goal of increasing players ability to participate in creating points for their team
    Added terrain path and cave entrance under mid bridge. Exit is located near the large row of windows. Cave contains a medium health pack
    Widened play space near cave exit leading into large row of windows
    Added small ammo pack to underwater flank that leads to enemy reactor vault
    Added small health kit to staging area before the interior battlements
    Reduced ammo pack near vault from full to medium
    Added alcove near front door staging area
    Robots have been rearranged
    A robots now circle the staircase near the front door
    B robots now roam the interior bridge above the water
    Enabled flashing lights when a team's power reactor has been stolen
    Fixed broken stair collision when exiting the water near the bridge. In some cases it would push players back into the water.
    Added player blocker to ledge above exterior battlements
    Widened glass tunnel flank doorway near C robots
    Increased attackers spawn time by 1 second

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Updated The Merc's Mohawk so it can be equipped by all classes

Just got this last week. Fuuuuck yeeeaaaah.

Gotta rock my mohawk as much as possible now.

Yeah, I need an unusual one of these. Going to be so expensive now though, I bet...

pjEiNmE.png

edited July 2014
    A new heatmap plugin is getting developed by TF2Maps. Nice fancy site for it any everything. This is probed on it.

UEAKCrash on
    TDOT breakin' up that quad post

Progress on Glassworks_b5 so far:
    101B67115302432DE120E7F214B9F3C6991D7FBA

D253D5F5C2D2A4A8BB65D8F84C98E20F019A1905

315AC928BA6308D69D21BBACF62EF6603716EFA4

Mid is lookin' like a real map and everything!

I don't notice it in game so it might be fine, but the dirt in that last screenshot seems super bright. Maybe tone down the sun just a tiny bit?

I'm going to to an overhaul of the ambient lighting soon here. All lighting, really...

Not looking forward to it.

• Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Screen 3. Nice detailing.

p8fnsZD.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    glassworks more like goodmapworks

Thanks guys. It's definitely getting to the point where it feels like a proper map to me. That's exciting.

Also this is hard as hell to do without a team of people. When I get tired of working on the map and I stop, no progress is being made. It's bullshit.

My routine is something like "tinker in hammer/blender/gimp for an hour, run out of inspiration, compile map, fight bots for 15 minutes until something annoys me, go fix it." I commonly do zero work for 2-3 days and wait for a new idea to hit.

If you ever want to test lines of sight on a map, start a match against expert sniper bots. They are the sneakiest bullshit motherfuckers when it comes to finding minuscule holes through which to blow off your head.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Oh hey that interview is up. That one was super awkward. I don't follow pop culture or anime and they kept making so many references to both.

Also I was half asleep at the beginning of it.

This discussion has been closed.