As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3:RoS] The Merch Hungers | see new thread

NogginNoggin Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Games and Technology
LHB88gh.png
Diablo III: FleshReaper of Torsos Souls

PA Clan - The Merch Hungers
Unfortunately the Clan has reached the 150 player cap and is full at the moment. Should room become available in the future, we will post in thread.

However, the Community, PAF, has nearly unlimited space and everyone is welcome to join. Open the Community window in the bottom right, Click Find and search for PAF. You'll see that HooverFish is the leader and can simply click "Join Community". You will not automatically enter Community chat when you log in, but you can click the Chat button in the Communities window and enter it manually for now.

The European Clan is also named TMH. If you play in this region, send a join request through the in-game communities UI and/or message evilthecat#2464.

And now, the big list of patch/expansion features... (more detail in the spoilers to cut down on length)
  • New class - The Crusader! (RoS only)
    1Zdg0Gi.jpg
    "Impenetrable armor, gleaming weapons, and heavy, heavy damage–wield the power of the Crusader, unbreakable new hero of the mortal realms."
    The evolution of the Diablo II paladin, less auras and more shield smiting. They are very focused on having a shield, even so far as having the option of using a Two-handed weapon AND a shield (with a passive skill). Yes, they have Blessed Hammer!
  • Act V! (RoS only)
    Malthael returns intending to destroy all demonkind. In case you didn't hear the word Nephalem enough in Diablo III, that means humans too. Act V is also full of side dungeons and even a handful of side missions for the jeweler and each follower!
  • Level 70 and a 4th passive slot! (RoS only)
  • Paragon levels are now account wide, infinite, and provide new bonuses
    Although still separated by softcore/hardcore, all of your characters' paragon XP has been added together and converted to your new level.

1 Paragon point is earned per paragon level and can be spent on the following bonuses, even on a brand new character:
    Core: Main stat^, Vitality^, Movement Speed, +Resource
    Offense: Attack Speed, Cooldown Reduction, Crit Chance, Crit Damage
    Defense: % Life, Armor, Resist All, Life Regen
    Utility: X% Area Damage*, Resource Cost Reduction, Life on Hit, Gold Find

^ - Can be scaled infinitely, everything else caps at 50 points by plvl 800
    * - a new stat on gear: All attacks have a 20% chance to also deal X% of the damage to enemies within 10 yards.
  • Loot 2.0!!
    Items will now drop less often, but are more likely to be useful. Sometime you will even find a "smart drop" that will specifically roll appropriate stats for the class you are playing.

Most Legendaries now come with a new unique affect and can drop at any level above their default. In other words, lower level legendaries can appear again at higher levels with their stats scaled up.
  • New Gems
    In addition to new tiers (Imperial, Flawless Imperial, Royal, Flawless Royal), Marquise gems will begin dropping! Also diamonds!
    Weapons: Bonus damage against Elites
    Helms: Cooldown Reduction
    Armor: + to All Resistances
  • Adventure Mode: Bounties & Rifts (RoS only)
    This new mode is an alternative to playing the campaign. All Acts and Waypoints are unlocked. All bosses spawned. You have a lot more freedom to roam around and slay demons. Each act has 5 bounties to complete various tasks - like clearing dungeons, killing named monsters, etc.

Rifts were previously referred to as Loot Runs. You'll earn Rift Keystone Fragments by completing bounties, which can then be combined to to open a Rift. These randomly generated areas have randomly generated monsters, so you could end up with Act III monsters on an Act I tileset. Or rooms full of treasure goblins. Or cows!
  • New Difficulty system
    The concept of Normal / Nightmare / Hell / Inferno is retired. Campaign mode monsters will now automatically scale to your level, so you can repeat as certain areas as uch as you want and keep leveling effectively. Additional monster affixes show up somewhere around levels 30, 50 and 60.

The new system uses Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment I - VI for a total of 10 difficulty settings. This makes the difficulty somewhat analogous to the /players command from Diablo II, or Monster Power from Diablo III.
  • Enchanting & Transmogrification (RoS only)
    The Mystic finally shows up and offers enchanting and transmog services.
    Enchanting allows you to replace 1 property on an item with a randomly generated new property. It gives you multiple stats to choose from, including the original. This means you won't necessarily make a better item, but you aren't forced to make it worse. If your first try doesn't work out, you can enchant it again, but only for the stat you initially decided to replace.

Transmog is much like the system in World or Warcraft, allowing players to change the appearance of their gear. New appearances will be unlocked by leveling your mystic and identifying set/legendary items that drop in Loot 2.0. We can finally use colored dyes on legendaries!
Upcoming changes, Ladders and Tiered Rifts!:
"Ladders"
A ladder-like system, called Seasons, will be added in the first major content patch. More information on this is coming soon.

Tiered Rifts
This is essentially a competitive challenge, entering increasingly hard Rifts to see how far you can get. When you complete a Rift you may find a Greater Rift Token. Using the token to complete a "Greater Rift"(?) will get you a Greater Rift Key (rank 2), and so on. Again, more info coming soon.

Finally, some other helpful resources from the previous OPs:
- Thanks to Previous Thread makers @Skab, @GoodKingJayIII, @Bethryn, @Shen, @SkutSkut, @HexDex, and @_J_

Battletag: Noggin#1936
Noggin on

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Hmmm new thread smell.

Just completed a rift with 2 crusaders as a wizard at level 55 on HC. Was quite intense D:

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Say what you will about the Crusader's skill balance, at least they look great:
    JWeBBwa.png

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I like the Crusader's horsie ability but the duration to cooldown ratio is kind of sucky. I'm still in the "everything is easy" stage with a marquise ruby weapon so am spamming electric hammers.

Anyone else notice the spiral pattern has changed from D2?

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Main thing I notice is that it goes through walls now, which was a huge problem in D2 in that sand cavern area.

Also looks like they hotfixed the Monk Unity ability to cap at 20%

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Ah, haha another WD and I had @Scosglen in a game a few nights ago and he was getting double damage from Unity.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Say what you will about the Crusader's skill balance, at least they look great:
    JWeBBwa.png

You don't look like you're ready to slaughter heretics and blasphemers.
    1980437_10152404712089796_1556282993_o.jpg

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    people saying "two handers suck" in relation to crusader heavenly strength are missing the point on why they arent as good for other classes. it's very good for crusader.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    DkziOV3.png

ffff

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well that's a fairly unreasonable weapon.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Since I got the Inner Fire rune for Epiphany, I swapped it into my Monk build and I like it a lot. Any one have a build based around it yet? I'm having a bit of trouble getting the rythym of it down

Speaking of rythym, is the Mythic Rythym passive any good? I can't really tell when it's activating. I'm playing HC btw

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I really can't find any use for Epiphany so far; but my monk does attacks that bring enemies to me so the teleport isn't terribly useful and that seems to be it's main thing.

I'm probably doing it wrong.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    @hexdex was fun, hope to be on more in the following days. I'm behind on P level, but it was still fun.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I really can't find any use for Epiphany so far; but my monk does attacks that bring enemies to me so the teleport isn't terribly useful and that seems to be it's main thing.

Epiphany is a flexible ability that lets you either tank up or boost your damage output while fighting elites and champs. It's great for the rapid spirit regen, which will let certain builds stand and dump their spender longer-- or nonstop. The teleport and the hidden CC immunity allow you to not have to worry about moving or avoiding freezing, so you can focus totally on spirit dumping.

The 50% DR rune is a great "oh shit" button and more offensively tuned than something like Serenity. It's handy if you're scraping by in Torment and need to be able to stay in some horrible ground effects while fighting an elite pack or something.

The Water and Fire rune are more useful if you have a lot ability to continuously dump lower cost spirit spenders. Tempest Rush in particular will very rapidly cause the effects to tick, to spectacular effect, but something like LTK can also be fired off fast enough and long enough to make it useful.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm too lazy to do the math but is there anything written out there to justify area damage attribute on gear?

If not, I guess the general idea is just add more crit chance/dmg/attk spd/%elemental?

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I really want to like Piranhado, but the 4 second effect and 16 second cooldown just kills it for me compared to other runes. Then again, if I were smart, I'd probably use the Grave Injustice rune to mitigate that.

Right now I'm trying out the Creeping Death rune and haunting/locusting/piranhaing everything. As far as raw burst damage goes... it kinda sucks. But it's a fantastic boss killer, especially for long moments where you have to move and pretty much can't stop to attack. That shit just keeps ticking away, I don't have to do much other than augment it with bats whenever I get a chance to sit still.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'm too lazy to do the math but is there anything written out there to justify area damage attribute on gear?

If not, I guess the general idea is just add more crit chance/dmg/attk spd/%elemental?

With enough mobs you are doing multiple times the regular damage. 10 mobs at 50% Area = 2 mobs triggering it and dealing 50%x2 extra damage to all the mobs.

Assuming 3 elite packs, you can treat it as a deal 0.6 * Area Damage to elites stat when using AOEs.

Dracil on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

Area damage is pretty niche right now, but you can stack it and it can be pretty good. The way it works is that you have a 20% chance on any damage dealt to do your area damage% in a ten yard radius around the damage mob.

Say if you had say 50% area damage and AoE'd a pack of 5 mobs for 300% weapon damage, area damage will proc on average 1 of those mobs for 150% weapon damage to the other.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12032383478

I'd focus on other stats first before building an area damage set though.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Scosglen wrote: »

Epiphany is a flexible ability that lets you either tank up or boost your damage output while fighting elites and champs. It's great for the rapid spirit regen, which will let certain builds stand and dump their spender longer-- or nonstop. The teleport and the hidden CC immunity allow you to not have to worry about moving or avoiding freezing, so you can focus totally on spirit dumping.

The 50% DR rune is a great "oh shit" button and more offensively tuned than something like Serenity. It's handy if you're scraping by in Torment and need to be able to stay in some horrible ground effects while fighting an elite pack or something.

The Water and Fire rune are more useful if you have a lot ability to continuously dump lower cost spirit spenders. Tempest Rush in particular will very rapidly cause the effects to tick, to spectacular effect, but something like LTK can also be fired off fast enough and long enough to make it useful.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of Epiphany until I made a heavy spirit regen/LpSS build where I'm just constantly spamming spirit spenders. Epiphany then becomes a deal massive damage while filling up health and spirit button.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

Area damage is pretty niche right now, but you can stack it and it can be pretty good. The way it works is that you have a 20% chance on any damage dealt to do your area damage% in a ten yard radius around the damage mob.

Say if you had say 50% area damage and AoE'd a pack of 5 mobs for 300% weapon damage, area damage will proc on average 1 of those mobs for 150% weapon damage to the other.

IIRC Area Damage is a percent of weapon DPS, not skill damage, which is why it isn't very good.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Zek wrote: »

IIRC Area Damage is a percent of weapon DPS, not skill damage, which is why it isn't very good.

Forum posts I've read say its a percent of damage done to a mob, including all modifiers like crits.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Zek wrote: »

That's not entirely correct. It doesn't benefit, because it's already based on the post-modified damage. If it could benefit again it would be essentially double dipping.

e.g. Weapon does 100 damage, your skill+crit+whatever makes it deal damage at 1000% total. Your Area Damage will be based off the final 1000 damage. It doesn't get to multiply itself by another 1000%.

I'd actually say Area Damage is one of the best trash farming modifiers out there.

Dracil on
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Area damage is incredible though it's hard to judge how effective it is since it doesn't increase your character sheet dps. If you assume that 1 mob will always be in range of your target, it's a straight (area damage / 5)% increase to your dps. Great against white mobs, useless against act bosses and somewhere in the middle for elite packs. It's one of my favorite things to see on shoulders since they can't roll anything for offense except for primary stat.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Shoulders can roll resource cost reduction/cooldown reduction, both good offensive stats.

I'm running LTK monk, and Epiphany is ridiculously good. 1 min cooldown is low enough that it's up for most elite packs, and the spirit regen allows so much LTK spam. I'm using the cooldown reduction passive only for that one ability, too.. :p

Bit annoying that monks don't really have other good spirit spenders besides LTK. TR is only good for farming low difficulties and Bell is kind of awful for the cost. Cyclone Strike and Palm aren't really something you'd want to spam that much, though they're really good for what they do.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying Act V but I've been wanting to delve into Hardcore mode. I have a lvl 2 wizard in HC that I'm not overly attached to, I just don't want to play HC alone lol. I keep forgetting to join the community when I fire up the game. I'll have to do that tonight.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    One of the fun side effects of crossbows dropping like candy is getting lots of rolls. Gave my leveling DH friend a 1500 dps level 52 xbow this weekend, about to give him a 2200 dps level 49 xbow. Wish I could get a drop for myself :?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Can crafted gear roll reduced level req?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Alright, time to try out templar. TerrorPope is a go.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So with split bounty farming back, a few of us decided to take advantage of it on normal difficulty. In my estimation, it was worth it to see what would happen when you have a TRUE "lootsplosion" in the Mr. Torgue style by saving up all of my caches into one full tab and then once it was full, opening them all at once.

I will now show you exactly what happens...

Let us start with the proof of a full tab's worth.
    oVf2ZWEl.jpg

Now the after... I had to pick up a pile up next to the mystic just to plop down more caches, so each screenshot shows something different
    hoo0Dekl.jpg
    krBZQu5l.jpg
    4HEuAwEl.jpg
    g6gG9lgl.jpg
    FnjyiRFl.jpg
    adFFqJ7l.jpg

Now here's what's left after breaking down all the rares and sorting the piles
    jSg4iqJl.jpg

And the ID'd legs...
    qRpwDK5l.jpg
    B9y9uCJl.jpg
    JEn60rXl.jpg
    4UfdySql.jpg
    I2UJjnvl.jpg
    GQFOfGAl.jpg

So yeah, life is very good right now, and that was well worth it for the Helltrapper and Pride's Fall... now if I can just get me some Shrine Gloves, Ring of Royal Grandeur, and Hexing Pants of Mr. Yen... i'll be AMAZEBALLS

Also, since everybody else was showing off, here I am starring as THE WHITE KNIGHT
    iEnCJNDl.jpg

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ugh. The Diablo III community is so clickish.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I hate every person that gets loot they can use.
    Every. Person.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Holy shit wtf I keep getting put in the same adventure mode game where all bounties in all acts are done.. arggg I've tried 5 times in a row.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Gained about 50k dps and 3 mil toughness today, we'll call that a success. Also maxed out the crafters, so hopefully I can start doing some enchanting?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I am jealous of your array of legendary handbows

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    3clipse wrote:
    I've tried to play a wizard 3 separate times and the class just bores me to tears.
    I could kinda see that. The only fucking thing I use is disintegrate, nothing else besides archon. So if you'd like variety in your gameplay I'd recommend something else.
    The action/joy for me comes out of seeing ginormous numbers on screen and the frantic kiting/dodging/running.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    @mittens and I have decided what the next expansion should be.
    Tyrael goes "but he has a mortal heart and what if he gets corrupted"

and I go "Blizzard, no, you do this every time, not everyone needs to get corrupted"

and mittens goes "But that's their M.O."

and I go "Wait. what if you turn evil and then go kill all the angels and everything?"

and mittens goes "No. Wait. What if you become Diablo and have to kill all the nephalem that are trying to stop you from destroying everything?"

GOTY, every year

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular

and I go "Blizzard, no, you do this every time, not everyone needs to get corrupted"

and I go "Wait. what if you turn evil and then go kill all the angels and everything?"

and mittens goes "No. Wait. What if you become Diablo and have to kill all the nephalem that are trying to stop you from destroying everything?"

GOTY, every year

Finally the real reason the game is online only.
    So they can use random characters to pit against you in the grand Nephalem melee

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    3clipse wrote:
    I've tried to play a wizard 3 separate times and the class just bores me to tears.
    I could kinda see that. The only fucking thing I use is disintegrate, nothing else besides archon. So if you'd like variety in your gameplay I'd recommend something else.
    The action/joy for me comes out of seeing ginormous numbers on screen and the frantic kiting/dodging/running.

I created a second wizard after finding a staff that herds lesser mobs under my meteor strike.

All my gear increases fire or meteor damage, and I have 190% crit damage.

As soon as he was high enough to equip the staff, I sent him to Torment 1, Act 1 in adventure mode, and its amazing how quickly he kills entire packs of mobs, as they run under the descending fireballs.

He cleared 4 bounties easy, but couldn't kill the Butcher - he needs to do some more levelling, I guess.

I'm going to send him into a rift tomorrow, see how that goes.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

GOTY, every year
    For more Blizzard storytelling authenticity, add more retcons that contradict existing lore. ;P

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I just finished a rift wherein we managed to aggo two champions and the rift boss at the same time.

It was not a pleasant experience.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I just finished a rift wherein we managed to aggo two champions and the rift boss at the same time.

It was not a pleasant experience.

I've had that happen a few times. Just got rift boss and four packs at the same time, that was new.. and hilarious. Luckily we had wizards in party. I love how many packs rifts can have in small area.

Also encountered a pack of treasure goblins earlier on adventure mode. Like 10ish treasure goblins in the same place. That seemed like a bug.. or possibly intentional but really rare.

I've spent over 2k blood shards on items that cost 5 shards each, no legendaries. Just how rare are they..?

This discussion has been closed.