As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half Minute Hero II: The Second Coming] 30 seconds, squared.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Games and Technology
uzNENeZ.jpg

This is a PC port of the PSP sequel to, like, the best PSP game ever.

I imported it because I thought this would never happen.

Boy am I glad to be wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g30sLbr9aU

Only $
9.99!
(Real price TBA.)

Screens:
LuY1Rcu.jpg
Iy2TTAO.jpg

Awesome Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZDXpmHx85o

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    First game was great and really looking forward to this one.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Never thought we would get this. First was one of my favorite portable titles ever.

And it's all Hero mode? Including a map editor? I am rock hard right now.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    9brqaEJ.jpg
    from the facebook

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This is how games should be announced.

"Hey, this awesome game you thought was never coming is finally being localized!"
    "That great! Ugh, but when's it coming out, like 6+ months? I hate waiting..."
    "It comes out tomorrow!"
    "SQUEEEEE!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Christmas comes early tommorow. Can't wait. <3

This gonna be good.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Loved that ge on my PSP. Would have liked the sequel on it as well, but PC works.

At least it will once I get around to getting Windows installed on it.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    If you own the first one, you apparently get 25% off on the new one, which is nice. Maybe I'll actually buy it tomorrow at release!

...I don't really understand how it uses Oculus Rift, but whatever. Good for them.

I should go back and try to do some more of the alternate stuff in the first Half-Minute Hero. I mainly critical path'd it and didn't really touch the other modes.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    If you own the first one, you apparently get 25% off on the new one, which is nice. Maybe I'll actually buy it tomorrow at release!

...I don't really understand how it uses Oculus Rift, but whatever. Good for them.

I should go back and try to do some more of the alternate stuff in the first Half-Minute Hero. I mainly critical path'd it and didn't really touch the other modes.
    Did you do Hero 300 mode?

It unlocks after finishing Evil Lord, princess and knight modes. It's the real final stage of the hero 30 style gameplay.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am fucking hype. I wish we were getting a portable release, but still, I am fucking hype.

The original was one of my favorite games of all of last gen.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Siliconera Interview
    There’s also a benchmarking feature that tells you if your wood PC can handle the power of the Goddess.

Heh.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Did you do Hero 300 mode?

It unlocks after finishing Evil Lord, princess and knight modes. It's the real final stage of the hero 30 style gameplay.

There is so much I haven't done in the game! I have three modes that haven't even been unlocked yet.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    We're getting-

We now have Hero 30 Second!? Yes!

Oh man, I loved Half-Minute Hero so much. I got it on Steam through the Skullgirls campaign, and it was just so much fun!

• Options

If it works how I imagine then it's super hilarious

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    It's up!

• Options
    OK, I've only played the first level so far, but I like that you can select the resolution now. I think I'm going to go back and play some of the other modes in the original game first though.
    Siliconera Interview
    There’s also a benchmarking feature that tells you if your wood PC can handle the power of the Goddess.

Heh.

It even has leaderboards for the benchmark test! 703E32E11E1974E6830BBF95567EE700B8E88553

• Options
    WlMjX1l.png
    Through the power of turning down settings on day 1 even I can finally rank top 10 on a leaderboard for something

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Note: don't play Dark Lord 30, Princess 30, or Knight 30 in the "Neo-cartoon style" if you want those games' original gameplay.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Note: don't play Dark Lord 30, Princess 30, or Knight 30 in the "Neo-cartoon style" if you want those games' original gameplay.

Oh yeah, definitely. I hated the new style in the original game and immediately switched to retro mode.

Fortunately, there does not seem to be that neo-cartoon style in the sequel.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, personally I was fine, aesthetically at least, with the Neo-cartoon style.

What I did not like was that choosing that art style turns Dark Lord 30, Princess 30, and Knight 30 into a level each of Hero 30's gameplay. Without telling you that's what it does. I didn't know that going in, so I initially thought those modes were just really tiny.

Thankfully, I found out that something was wrong before I moved on to Hero 300.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I get the feeling this is going to be a surprisingly big game.

Anybody thats up for some multiplayer later feel free to add me, I'd love to try it.

(my profile is in my signature)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Some thoughts so far:

-There seems to be a lot more story and cutscenes going on. Unlike the first game, you actually travel around on a world map (where time stops between quests) like a traditional RPG to move on rather than selecting stages. Can't say I'm a fan of this, the writing wasn't HMH1's strength, it was the humor and crazy arcade style pacing. I'm not quite sure yet if taking steps towards becoming a more legit straight RPG adventure was the right idea.

-Not to say there isn't humor, the game is still extremely whacky. It won't take long before you're running around with a giant bucket on your head paying the Godess' greedy fees while fighting evil lords based off of insane concepts.

-The changes to the actual combat and character building are all absolutely great lil additions. You can collect an actual party of characters now that will stick with you (unless the story demands they go somewhere else) and you can choose between and pick formations for them.

-There is also apparently a class system in place though the first character seems to be a jack of all trades and can use anything, atleast for the moment. Weapons come with unique skills that sound like if you use the weapon enough, you can learn them and equip them even when you're not using that weapon. Skills automatically activate during battle. Seems like they do more often at higher levels.

-Good reason for @SteevL to keep working through the original: There is a shop in the first character's story that will apparently unlock items from the first game if you have a save file from the PC version of the the first one. Sadly, I only own the PSP version. ;_;

-There are dungeons now. But I'm not sure how to accurately describe how different they are from ordinary story maps. So far they don't feel particularly different aside from being a big enclosed area with a free healing timestream and a goddess statue along with some treasure boxes.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    -Good reason for @SteevL to keep working through the original: There is a shop in the first character's story that will apparently unlock items from the first game if you have a save file from the PC version of the the first one. Sadly, I only own the PSP version. ;_;

-There are dungeons now. But I'm not sure how to accurately describe how different they are from ordinary story maps. So far they don't feel particularly different aside from being a big enclosed area with a free healing timestream and a goddess statue along with some treasure boxes.

I'm not 100% on how it works but those shops are active for me despite not having a save file for the first game, I played the original before getting this computer, it may just be checking to see if you own the original?

The thing with the dungeons is they are convenient grind points for the new base level system.

Seemingly there is going to be dlc for this, as there's dlc-reserved spaces in the goddess room content.

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Game seems quite a bit harder than the first game, at least at the start.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yep, that was my experience with the PSP version. You need to do quite a bit of exploring to find the gear to make it easier. Or just grind.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm not 100% on how it works but those shops are active for me despite not having a save file for the first game, I played the original before getting this computer, it may just be checking to see if you own the original?
    Theres a shop that Time Goddess runs under her time goddess with sunglasses disguise, it mentioned heroes from the past and their items and did a fade to black check after asking me, apparently whatever criteria it needed, I didn't pass.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Theres a shop that Time Goddess runs under her time goddess with sunglasses disguise,

Is she still chilling in a gold barrel?

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yep, that was my experience with the PSP version. You need to do quite a bit of exploring to find the gear to make it easier. Or just grind.

one of the neat things I like is when you replay the old missions now, you do it with your current base level and equipment

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Theres a shop that Time Goddess runs under her time goddess with sunglasses disguise,

Is she still chilling in a gold barrel?
    Sadly, no. Maybe later though.

There are also hidden coin collectables on the world map. I found three so far.

On top of everything else I'm going to be obsessed with in this game, it's nice to have a lil scavenger hunt on the side.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Just a heads-up that the first game is in a Groupies bundle for $3.50

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm extremely tempted to mess around with the editor but I don't want to spoil any of the main game content for myself. Gotta beat it first.

• Options
    Need help with a scene. I accidently skipped it and reloading a save doesn't help. It's after you defeat the 4th element and you're moving onto a new continent. You get outside the dungeon and time goddess starts speaking but I hit start to change my equipment and it skipped through her stuff before I realized what was going on. Need to know if there was important info.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Time Goddess was probably just hitting you up for more money.

Don't remember her dropping any huge lines during the elements quests though.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I'm more concerned about if it was mechanic stuff. That's the quest that gets you the fire spirit stone (?) given to the girl mage party member you pick up so I thought maybe it was related to that.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I'm more concerned about if it was mechanic stuff. That's the quest that gets you the fire spirit stone (?) given to the girl mage party member you pick up so I thought maybe it was related to that.
    They add new entries to tutorials for the mechanics so no worries there. If you missed something important you needed to learn, it would be there. The stone is just a thing you can use in battle once she gives it to you.

Also, bring up the menu on the world map and click latest news, that should let you sift through recent dialogue.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Well. I just finished Prelude.

Now that's quite a way to kick off the game.

Also, I'm pretty sure the last two Elements were one giant Final Fantasy V reference.

On the subject of Spirit Stones, I used the Fire one on Dino Dragon. Was that one of the Fab Four?

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Just a heads-up that the first game is in a Groupies bundle for $3.50
    If you buy this, there's also a competition that you can enter

https://groupees.com/tournaments/hero

Any ideas on how to get an ~19 second time on Quest 3 of Hero 30 mode in the neo climax version of the first game?

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Finally beat the first character chapters so thankfully I don't have to play as Squall from Final Fantasy 8 anymore.
    New era seems pretty cool and the protagonist not quite so emo. Robots, roads and lamp posts.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Finally beat the first character chapters so thankfully I don't have to play as Squall from Final Fantasy 8 anymore.
    New era seems pretty cool and the protagonist not quite so emo. Robots, roads and lamp posts.

You mean the prelude, right?

I'm getting more of an
    Oersted from Live a Live

Vibe from Yuusha.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm talking about revolution which comes after overture and judgement with the moody commando guy.

Dr. Chaos on