As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Star Wars Thread: A New Hope for Social Entropy

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I want to make a joke about how the Tatooine level would become the new Hoth level in Star Wars games, where it's in like every single one

But that is also the case with Tatooine?

We'll probably just approach some sort of Tatooine singularity

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    A desert with AT-ATs? They must be making Nomad City!
    Nomad City was a mobile mining facility owned by Lando Calrissian. It was located on the small, mineral-rich world of Nkllon. Nomad City was built from an old Dreadnaught-class heavy cruiser, which was mounted on top of forty captured AT-AT walkers. The city would constantly move to remain on Nkllon's night side.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Nomad City was a mobile mining facility owned by Lando Calrissian. It was located on the small, mineral-rich world of Nkllon. Nomad City was built from an old Dreadnaught-class heavy cruiser, which was mounted on top of forty captured AT-AT walkers. The city would constantly move to remain on Nkllon's night side.

Sadly, can't be. That would mean they were adapting Heir to the Empire, which:

1) Would take place 5 years after Return of the Jedi, not 30.
    2) Would be a good idea. :D

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So is JJ Abrams making the movie about global warming? Hoth goes from tundra to desert?

My guess is Jawa junk yard.

I just... I don't know why we would be going back to Tatootine. Couple theories I have though.

1) Flashback to establish some setting/character.
    2) Any number of retired rebel (scum) fighters could hold up shop there.
    3) Luke is 90 years old and is looking for Obi Wans recipe on how to vanish-death. (This is a joke, laugh you bastards)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    qui-gon figured out the force ghost business first

also tatooine has a ridiculously long history in the eu dating back to pre-rakata

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

They could simply be visiting the planet, right? I mean that'd be a heck of a visual treat, and JJ Abrams loves spectacle for the sake of spectacle.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They could simply be visiting the planet, right? I mean that'd be a heck of a visual treat, and JJ Abrams loves spectacle for the sake of spectacle.

And lens flair

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    He has a flair for lens flare, that much is true.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wasn't there something about one of the new characters being...
    ...a daughter or granddaughter of Obi-Wan?

In which case, Tatooine is essentially where Obi-Wan settled down, and it's where the biggest gap in his history is, so if he had a child, it would make sense that they might be on Tatooine.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Wasn't there something about one of the new characters being...
    ...a daughter or granddaughter of Obi-Wan?

In which case, Tatooine is essentially where Obi-Wan settled down, and it's where the biggest gap in his history is, so if he had a child, it would make sense that they might be on Tatooine.
    Can just imagine some little girl going to visit ol' Grandpa Ben in the desert, only he's gone now, and he's taken his old lightsabers with him.
    Next day on the news there's a story about a bar brawl that turned lethal when a vagrant whipped out an archaic laser sword and butchered a random alien before making his escape on a beat up freighter to parts unknown.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Star Wars movies look so good when they have actual sets

That's actually part of why I really enjoy Episode I in comparison to the other two prequels. Some of the sets are so gorgeous, and the acting also improves noticeably because they couldn't green screen everything.

• Options
    Surprise! Episode 7 will take place entirely on Tatootine, and it will be a great story of war and violence only to end with Obi-Wan opening his eyes, we find him staring at Luke in the canyon surrounded by Tusken Raiders.

Obi-Wan says "fuck this shit" and returns to his home. NONE OF IT EVER HAPPENS. Disney can now re-write the Star Wars universe as they see fit and Vader and Yoda aren't dead so... more toys to sell!

-The End.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    is that a slight against the new Star Trek movies

or am I supposed to be confused

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Indeed it was... alternate timeline and all that, but just for the sake of selling merchandise.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I never saw the alternate timeline thing as a problem

hell, I thought it was a great way to try and avoid stepping on the toes of the more picky members of the fanbase (which, let's face it, is impossible)

since these star wars movies are actual sequels, going alternate timeline would be real weird

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I never saw the alternate timeline thing as a problem

hell, I thought it was a great way to try and avoid stepping on the toes of the more picky members of the fanbase (which, let's face it, is impossible)

since these star wars movies are actual sequels, going alternate timeline would be real weird

Not so weird if you thought that Disney might want to keep the existing EU in place to avoid stepping on fanbase toes. The only way to do that would be an alternate time line plot, or going far enough into the future that the existing EU hasn't been there already, and at that point you've pretty much lost any connection to the original trilogy outside of vague references.

• Options
    if they're good movies, then I think I can live with that

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    They're not really bothering with the EU for the movie

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    They're not really bothering with the EU for the movie

I would think so. Sure they can draw resources from it, characters, places, etc. The problem with them 'sticking to it' is that the continuity would be out of their hands. If they decide to just go with a 'movie universe' they can do what they want and not feel the pressure of sticking to a long collection of writing from various authors.

I'm actually kind of more interested in this new TV Series that takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. I want to see Vader tearing shit up.

• Options
    That's exactly what they're doing
    They've said they will consider combing the EU for certain events to keep for the films, but outside of that small concession they are going to make their own story and not be too fussed about it lining up with the books and such

Also that TV series is never going to happen

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also that TV series is never going to happen

I thought it was coming out this fall?

• Options
    Oh shit, you mean Rebels
    yeah, that's happening

for some reason I was thinking about that live action series that was talked about for years and years

My bad

• Options
    Oh, yeah, I was referring to Rebels.

I imagine a live action Star Wars would need an insane amount of money poured into it. Like, Game of Thrones level money.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ronin356 wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    o-STAR-WARS-900.jpg?2

I'm excited to see more of Luke's home planet.

I'm excited to see anyplace that isn't in front of a green screen.

Why can I only click agree once

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular

I imagine a live action Star Wars would need an insane amount of money poured into it. Like, Game of Thrones level money.

Why would Disney investing a boatload in TV Star Wars be more outlandish than HBO investing in TV some nerd book?

mkc.png
  • Options
    The plan that Disney has been talking about for the future of the franchise has so far been a bunch of movies with no mention of live action TV
    The show was in the planning stages at Lucasfilm and if Disney hasn't said they're going to continue it themselves then I'm assuming it's not part of the plan

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think you could do a live-action Star Wars tv show relatively cheap if you didn't have it focused on force users.

Have it follow a bounty hunter or a group of smugglers.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The only thing Rick McCallum ever said about it was that it was going to be lower-level seedy underbelly type stuff, yeah

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Honestly, though, if it turns out they have gone through the EU and picked out some of the stuff that seems to be appreciated by a large majority of fans, adapt that into their new timeline (even if it doesn't feature in the movie, it could be their Clone Wars), and then ignore or excise all the silly shit, I would be down with that. I would honestly be happy with them simply mentioning that Thrawn existed.

I'm just annoyed that they keep going back to Tatooine, both in the EU and the movies. They keep going back to the well, and the well is a desert.

• Options
    Lord Dave wrote: »

Why would Disney investing a boatload in TV Star Wars be more outlandish than HBO investing in TV some nerd book?

I... uh... I never said outlandish. I just suggested they would need Game of Thrones level money for production for a live action Star Wars.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think you could do a live-action Star Wars tv show relatively cheap if you didn't have it focused on force users.

Don't do this to me, Z.

I ...

I've been hurt before.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

So something like what the canceled 1313 game was supposed to be?

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

So something like what the canceled 1313 game was supposed to be?

Like the 1313 game, the live action series was supposed to focus on Boba Fett.

Because they were both going to be about different, more creatively freeing things, until Lucas decided they were to be about Boba Fett.

• Options
    So.... Cowboy Bebop in the Star Wars Universe?

That would be fucking awesome.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit
    stopit

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Time for some Firefly X Star Wars action!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

Edge of the Empire basically is Firefly or Cowboy Bebop in Star Wars, if you want it to be that. It's pretty much my ideal Star Wars game setting.

Not that I'm not looking forward to Age of Rebellion, but being a smuggler or bounty hunter is the coolest.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I'm going to write a pilot for Star Wars Bebop.

I'm just gonna fucking do it.

It's fan fiction, and I don't care even a little.

• Options
    Man just...

Running a Star Wars EotE campaign with a small group. They're all bounty hunters, down on their luck and pairing together because of circumstances. And they can browse the Guild's list of open bounties and decide on what to pursue in order to keep credits flowing. And every so often, a ghost from their past will come calling...

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Man just...

Running a Star Wars EotE campaign with a small group. They're all bounty hunters, down on their luck and pairing together because of circumstances. And they can browse the Guild's list of open bounties and decide on what to pursue in order to keep credits flowing. And every so often, a ghost from their past will come calling...

See you, Space Cowboy.

This discussion has been closed.