As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Star Wars Thread: A New Hope for Social Entropy

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It would have made so much more sense if Kamino was in on the whole scheme with Palpatine. They are arms dealers who would benefit a lot from war. Palpatine promises them that he'll turn the Republic into a military dictatorship where they can become the main supplier of weapons to the government. They secretly build an army for Palpatine and eliminate uncooperative senators and replace them with clones.

Yeah but see that sounds moderately interesting, is the problem

I have to admit that I'm weirdly entertained by how Kenobi just hits these lucky breaks in his investigation by blind chance

When the cloners are like, don't you want to go see all the secret shit we're doing here? And he just flashes that grin and says That's why I'm here!

The whole plot is such garbage but Ewan McGregor just rolls with it and it's great

I could be crazy but I think those were less blind strokes of luck and more Palpantine having a ridiculously complicated plan for getting the Republic an army. I mean that seems to be what the movies imply but on the other hand Obi-wan is led to the Cloners because of a dart randomly jammed into Jango's assistant for no reason. Or wait, maybe that actually makes more sense.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I just started watching a video-LP of The Force Unleashed and I gotta say I like the first meeting of Starkiller, Proxy and Eclipse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6rGMhz7BCAo#t=124

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    "Around the survivors, a perimeter create"

this line stands eternally within the darkest reptillian parts of my brain, gnawing

driving me to despair

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The Star Wars EU survives at the liberty of an acceptance of the idea that humanity spawned from the galactic core and brought white-man civilization to all species of single biome planet based humanoids and then created a race of jester droids.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    don't knock super mario rules, man

even dune had a desert planet

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    don't knock super mario rules, man

even dune had a desert planet

At least Arrakis had a reason for being a complete desert (the sandworms actually created the desert. When the BG tried to keep a pet worm on Chapterhouse for their own Spice supply, it was slowly turning that planet completely into desert as well).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just looked into what had happened to the Star Wars CCG.

Has anyone tried this?

I played back when it was actually produced, I remember it being a fun game.
    The Decipher one? If so, it was fantastic until they started including prequel shit. I like to pretend that never happened, and still have all my cards and tournament ready decks.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I loved the Decipher CCG. I had a pretty good Ewok swarm deck that I think made my friend quit playing the game entirely

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I played Scum and Villainy (shocking) and Hidden Base.

My cousin had a pretty boss Hunt Down deck.

It's honestly my favorite CCG ever.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, definitely my favorite CCG. It's not particularly close.

I had a carbon chamber testing deck I really loved for dark side. A changeup was a court of the vile gangster/scum and villany.

Since I had every variety of the light side mains except DS2 luke, I played a bitchin That's One, Count Me In, and I'm with you too deck. I also occasionally played Hidden Base.

For just screwing around with friends though, I experimented wildly. I had a deck that was mostly star destroyers, and that was just fun for no good reason.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    The question becomes: It seems that the "new" cards are free, but... Are the original cards also available? Like, if I wanted to just print off all the cards for the entire game and just treat it like a deck building board game instead of a CCG... Could I? That part seems really unclear.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    It would have made so much more sense if Kamino was in on the whole scheme with Palpatine. They are arms dealers who would benefit a lot from war. Palpatine promises them that he'll turn the Republic into a military dictatorship where they can become the main supplier of weapons to the government. They secretly build an army for Palpatine and eliminate uncooperative senators and replace them with clones.

I have to admit that I'm weirdly entertained by how Kenobi just hits these lucky breaks in his investigation by blind chance

When the cloners are like, don't you want to go see all the secret shit we're doing here? And he just flashes that grin and says That's why I'm here!

The whole plot is such garbage but Ewan McGregor just rolls with it and it's great

I could be crazy but I think those were less blind strokes of luck and more Palpantine having a ridiculously complicated plan for getting the Republic an army. I mean that seems to be what the movies imply but on the other hand Obi-wan is led to the Cloners because of a dart randomly jammed into Jango's assistant for no reason. Or wait, maybe that actually makes more sense.

I'd say there wasn't anything random about that dart. Palps plan was to start a war to solidify his power but also eliminate the Jedi threat. He's already got the Republic on the brink of war, but can't just reveal his army (of jedi assassins) without people asking questions. By leading Obi to discover the army himself and also make it seem that it was the Jedi that created the army in the first place, everyone is much more accepting of this gift horse. In that light, it makes sense that noone was being secretive on Kamino. Palps doesn't need to promise anything extra to Kamino or have them hide anything for his plan to work.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    The Star Wars EU survives at the liberty of an acceptance of the idea that humanity spawned from the galactic core and brought white-man civilization to all species of single biome planet based humanoids and then created a race of jester droids.

Uh, no, the Ancients were not human, thanks.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

also theres that whole black people an women being in places of power and literally no discussion of ethnicity or gender like veer

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

also theres that whole black people an women being in places of power and literally no discussion of ethnicity or gender like veer

I like to believe this deserves no further discussion past: they were far more progressive than we.

• Options

I like to believe this deserves no further discussion past: they were far more progressive than we.

yes

except no gays

at all

ever

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Not every social injustice needs to be addressed at all times. I'd rather they didn't bring it up, than do so poorly.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options

yes

except no gays

at all

ever

Lucas deciding he didn't want gays to show up in Star Wars media does not mean gays didn't exist, Pip. Death of the fucking author, man.

• Options

yes

except no gays

at all

ever

Lucas deciding he didn't want gays to show up in Star Wars media does not mean gays didn't exist, Pip. Death of the fucking author, man.

tor was the first time homosexuals were allowed to exist that were not immediately retconned away, and that required a massive public outcry

• Options
    Because if they aren't talked about, they don't exist, right?

• Options

no, you don't seem to get it

homosexuals have literally been retconned out because lucas did not want it being in his universe

• Options

homosexuals have literally been retconned out because lucas did not want it being in his universe

No, I totally get what you're saying, and I'm saying is that Star Wars is more than George Lucas and Lucas' opinion on things in Star Wars now quite literally doesn't fucking matter, since he no longer has any control over the property.

• Options
    George Lucas losing ultimate creative control over all facets of the Star Wars universe is the best thing to happen to the franchise in like forever and I really don't think anyone is going to argue about that point.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

In the Clone Wars tv series
    Pretty sure the head of the Kamino Government and their top scientist are aware, at the very least, that something shady is going on with the chips. They work hard to prevent the Jedi from discovering it's true purpose.

Retaba on
  • Options

No, I totally get what you're saying, and I'm saying is that Star Wars is more than George Lucas and Lucas' opinion on things in Star Wars now quite literally doesn't fucking matter, since he no longer has any control over the property.

he sadly still has creative control, just not total

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

No, it wasn't dumb luck, it was the Force, you see.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dune

Gay Resort Planet

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Imagine a transfeminine character in Star Wars

It's okay if you can't because it will never happen

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I got my original ToR account back. Did some Agent missions. Flirted with a guys wife while waiting for him to return. Shot him in the leg while getting information from him. Told him don't bullshit me or I'll be back. Agent really is the best.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    I kind of have no idea what I'm doing wrt to combat tho.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    I just saw that they added player housing.

Almost got me.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I pretended like I did a sweet speeder bike wheelie when I left his house.

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Concealment is the best skill tree for Agent

Stealthy stabs all day

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Imagine a transfeminine character in Star Wars

It's okay if you can't because it will never happen

Well, they got close with Zam Wesell. She was Boba Fett's mother figure, and Jango's badass assistant/assasin, who he meets in the Bounty Hunter game, and kills with a painless dart in the one of the movies . She was a strong character that had the unique ability to completely change her form and gender at will, and was originally codified with her original sex unknown and with dialog that suggested a male birth sex,
    "You know, a gentleman would turn his back while a lady changes."
    "That's not the sort of changing most people have in mind. And you're no lady."
    "Sometimes I am."
    But someone later wrote her childhood to be that of a lady.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    is this a Star Wars Clone Wars thing

I take that a lot more relevant than an EU story

considering it's a bigger deal by sheer magnitudes

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    There was a point in Bounty Hunter, i think, where Zam drops her human female appearance, revealing an alien that I had assumed at the time was male, but looking at the character now, I see that someone thought to clarify her history.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I just started watching a video-LP of The Force Unleashed and I gotta say I like the first meeting of Starkiller, Proxy and Eclipse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6rGMhz7BCAo#t=124

It's probably blasphemy to say this, but I loved the story in TFU. It ranks up there with the original trilogy in terms of well done story imo.

• Options
    oh wait, the Bounty Hunter video game

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    on second thought

there's a big difference between a shape shifting alien and a trans feminine human

like, being an alien sorta undermines the point with "it's okay because she's an alien" and doesn't take a more significant narrative risk

but do I really trust most writers to pull that off?

not at all

Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.