As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Star Wars Thread: A New Hope for Social Entropy

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    That one seems relatively plausible. I mean we don't know what either of them even look like considering the hoods and masks respectively.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Yeah

It's just one of those Star Wars Things where even though this is supposed to be a whole galaxy of different worlds and crazy shit everything is kind of the same

Like apparently there is just one kind of Poor People Clothes that everyone in the whole galaxy wears (never mind that the robes specifically look like something you'd wear in a desert)
    jedi most likely came from tattooine

that's like

an actual thing in the canon

But the Force was first discovered on Tython, the ancient homeworld of the Jedi!

you mean the je'dai

the precursors to the jedi

the jedi were a splinter group and their homeworld is never actually stated, only implied to be tattooine

I did a Ctrl+F on the Je'daii Order page on Wookiepedia and didn't find anything about Tatooine so

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I liked the Thrawn Trilogy and all, but at this point I'm totally fine with the decision to ignore the EU.

Just ignore everything but the original trilogy.

Burn it. Salt the earth. Don't look back.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Keep the Chiss

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    At this point, yeah, the EU is basically SHIELD in the MCU. There's some good in it, but it's so infested and choked with
    Hydra that there's no way for it to be anything but dragged down by the corruption. Hit the killswitch, sort out the good stuff as possibly worth saving, start all over again.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    ignore everything except the new trilogy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    ignore everything except the new trilogy

Republic Commando, the Kieron Gillen comics, and John Ratzenberger's character in Empire Strikes back.

All hail the new trilogy.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Sweet Maker, @DarkPrimus‌ ... that hit me right in the feels.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    The most important thing that should be preserved from Republic Commando is that the clone troopers are all canonically from New Zealand.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Star Wars is duuuuuuuuuuumb.

Mostly good dumb, but still.

It can be good
    But there is far more bad and dumb than good and interesting.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Star Wars is duuuuuuuuuuumb.

Mostly good dumb, but still.

It can be good
    But there is far more bad and dumb than good and interesting.

All intellectual properties bow before Sturgeon's Law.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Republic Commando game is great. Novels are great.

Sigh.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I liked the Thrawn Trilogy and all, but at this point I'm totally fine with the decision to ignore the EU.

Just ignore everything but the original trilogy.

Burn it. Salt the earth. Don't look back.

Oh man I just finished the Thrawn trilogy. Now I'm on to the one set 10 years after with his clone. I'm using the audiobook and the guy they have narrating is amazing. Never have I heard so many accurate voice impersonations. I'm particularly happy with the Luke/Han Solo/Calrissian work.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The narrator for the Scoundrels audiobook was similarly amazing. They put a lot of production into those things, sound effects, music, the whole nine yards.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Highly irregular.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Is... that the batman car used for a cupling? I don't have audio right now.

• Options
    Wait this is actually from the real Bad Robot YouTube channel.

It doesn't even make sense, these are two properties that belong to two directly competing corporate entities.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Is... that the batman car used for a cupling? I don't have audio right now.

Yeah and they queue up the Dark Knight theme too.

Which, once again, what the fuck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Directors pay homage to or poke fun at each other, and other cast and crew do too. Maybe one of the practical effects guys worked on one of Nolan's Batman movies. But I bet this is a shout from Abrams to Nolan.

• Options
    Oh I guess this may just be that they stuck the Batmobile on there as an easter egg and then decided to post that shit on YouTube instead of waiting for people to spot it in the movie.

Kinda like R2-D2 in Star Trek.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    abrams threw R2 in the star trek movies, so I mean whatever

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    R2-D2 was on the alien space ship in Close Encounters too, wasn't he?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Oh I guess this may just be that they stuck the Batmobile on there as an easter egg and then decided to post that shit on YouTube instead of waiting for people to spot it in the movie.

Are you high?

How in the fuck would you "spot it in the movie"? It's on the underside of the Falcon. They would have had to zoom in on it pretty much the way they did in the clip for it to be remotely distinguishable. That is not going to happen during the movie.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

Are you high?

How in the fuck would you "spot it in the movie"? It's on the underside of the Falcon. They would have had to zoom in on it pretty much the way they did in the clip for it to be remotely distinguishable. That is not going to happen during the movie.

Well I mean, it's an easter egg, that's kind of the point. People didn't spot R2 in Trek right away either, it took some freeze-framing.

Just probably the timing of this as one of the first pieces of teasing for Episode 7 makes it seem like more than it is.

sig.gif
  • Options

Are you high?

Well I mean, it's an easter egg, that's kind of the point. People didn't spot R2 in Trek right away either, it took some freeze-framing.

Just probably the timing of this as one of the first pieces of teasing for Episode 7 makes it seem like more than it is.

"More than it is?"

It's a fun little prop easter egg that they aren't going to bother spending time trying to put in the movie. It is not anything more or less than that.

Quit hating fun.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Also: did you miss the entire "rest of the falcon built to scale" bit?

• Options

Are you high?

"More than it is?"

It's a fun little prop easter egg that they aren't going to bother spending time trying to put in the movie. It is not anything more or less than that.

Quit hating fun.

Whoa I'm not hating this. It's just that when I first watched that teaser I felt like it was teasing something concrete and I didn't understand. I wouldn't have felt that way if it was April 1st or if it didn't start off looking like a legitimate teaser trailer or if we'd seen more of this movie before now.

And I mean, they probably just glued that onto the model or put it on the CG model or something, it's probably gonna be in the movie, but you wouldn't spot it unless you were looking for it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Do you know how many prop easter eggs were all over the panels and computer displays in the Star Trek TV shows? Back when television resolution was horseshit? Easter eggs I only know about because somebody did a show detailing all the hidden easter eggs that are literally impossible to see on the show?

Prop-makers do this shit all the time, largely for themselves and their crews. The fact that we got to see it at all is a really nice invitation to be a part of some of the cool shit that goes on behind the scenes. It is not "kind of the point" for every easter egg in a film to be visible on screen by the audience.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's a part of the campaign to get people to buy bluray. Can't catch the little references if you're buying pleb dvds right?

• Options
    Uh okay.

I don't know why you think I hate this or have some kind of position where easter eggs should never be spoiled or something ludicrous like that. I was just confused at first because I didn't get that it was just an easter egg.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I hate the tumbler on the falcon now

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I hate it the tumbler on the falcon now

I'm sorry the movie's been ruined for you because of something you will literally not be able to see except maybe for a couple of frames in the film assuming they shoot from a very specific angle.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Uh okay.

I don't know why you think I hate this or have some kind of position where easter eggs should never be spoiled or something ludicrous like that. I was just confused at first because I didn't get that it was just an easter egg.

Honest mistake, ignore my salt.

I am sorry.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The leaked script mentions the tumbler.
    Han Solo: It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. And it's all thanks to the hyperdrive-tumbler. (bumps fist against mini batmobile)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    beep boop

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    When do we get to see the Falcon's Tumblr?

This discussion has been closed.