As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Titanfall]

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Are people going to start playing this again? Because my XBL friend list has no one that wants to play anything but Destiny, and I never even launch Origin to play on PC unless I know there's a group forming.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I doubt I'll be back until TF2(man...games need more unique names) too many other titles I'm playing right now and I'm pretty shootered out ATM.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Are people going to start playing this again? Because my XBL friend list has no one that wants to play anything but Destiny, and I never even launch Origin to play on PC unless I know there's a group forming.

I can always be convinced to play Titanfall when I'm on.

• fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular

I play daily. Send me a message (fatal spoons with the space) if you're on. The community is small so we do a lot of private matches.

Also, they've officially announced titanfall 2.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/titanfall-2-confirmed-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc

Not like I didn't already know that but it's still exciting.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

I play daily. Send me a message (fatal spoons with the space) if you're on. The community is small so we do a lot of private matches.

Also, they've officially announced titanfall 2.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/titanfall-2-confirmed-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc

Not like I didn't already know that but it's still exciting.

Hahah, best comment on that post:
    Can't wait to play on Sony servers!

get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.barnorama.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F10%2Flag.gif&key=A2bMU7tlWrXLlUbtt_Cnwg&w=600&h=281

Probably not as valid since it's paid multiplayer now, but yeah... that gif.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Zampella mentions the possibility of free map DLC like in Evolve. That would be great. I know I'd be willing to buy skins and the like if they wanted to go that route.

Got all my DLC installed on XBone, and reinstalled the game on the PC. PC keeps getting stuck at "Waiting for Origin", so I guess XBone it is.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Pretty sure EA's and Respawn's deal is pretty unique, in that Respawn owns the IP. I think if they had to they could walk away from EA though I doubt they will. That said, if Respawn pushed hard enough I think they could get it on Steam. They will still heavily push the Origin version I bet, but they need to let Origin and Steam users play together if they want any hope of people buying the Origin version.

Yeah, this is the thing that makes me at least a little hopeful that Respawn will be able to get Titanfall 2 on Steam. EA is run by assholes, but since Respawn owns their own stuff that I'm sure they could definitely get somebody else to publish if EA pitches a fit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Just thought it might be relevant to mention that, at least on Origin for PC, all the titanfall DLC is free right now.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Zampella mentions the possibility of free map DLC like in Evolve. That would be great. I know I'd be willing to buy skins and the like if they wanted to go that route.

A game developer learning from past mistakes?

*checks the skies for flying pigs*

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The fact they've opened up DLC for everyone for free should definitely go in the title.

@Quid could you be a doll?

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular

I'm on from time to time.

Mechanical wrote: »

I'm on from time to time.

Until Origin fixes their shit for my account, I won't be able to play anywhere but on XBone. I can log in to the client, but not the website, and I think that has something to do with the game getting stuck "Waiting for Origin".

I actually played some frontier defense yesterday. I can't play this competitively at all atm. Too rusty/disinterested. Working on getting all the achievements though, so IDK.

Really should add more people from the forams to my xbl friends list one day. But I feel bad getting invites and ignoring people cuz I don't feel like being bothered. So... IDK again. :S

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    So with the recent updates, are people playing this PC-side now? I heard that the CTF mode was the mode really worth playing (at least that's the impression I got from RockPaperShotgun's review). Do people play the other game modes or is it largely only the default mode that gets populated?

Been considering this since they gave everyone access to the maps.

I haven't played CTF since they took away the ability to carry the flag in your titan, but it was one of the worst modes in the game, in my opinion. Attrition is the highlight and is also the most popular by a wide margin.

I started playing again (though, Cities Skylines is taking a lot of my time) and it seems like everyone and their mother is using the smart pistol these days. It's my favourite gun, so I get why, but it makes the game a little less interesting when there isn't that weapon variety. Also, I'm stuck using the G2A4 (my least favourite) so I can move on from Gen 7.

I haven't played CTF since they took away the ability to carry the flag in your titan, but it was one of the worst modes in the game, in my opinion. Attrition is the highlight and is also the most popular by a wide margin.

I started playing again (though, Cities Skylines is taking a lot of my time) and it seems like everyone and their mother is using the smart pistol these days. It's my favourite gun, so I get why, but it makes the game a little less interesting when there isn't that weapon variety. Also, I'm stuck using the G2A4 (my least favourite) so I can move on from Gen 7.

err... there was a point when everybody wasn't using the smart pistol? :P

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The smart pistol has always been a decently popular weapon, but it's got its strengths and weaknesses like anything else. I think I may have seen the CAR SMG more than anything else though, actually.

Inquisitor on
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    the CAR smg is so good, though. So good.

Had to use the shotgun for gen requirements. What a subpar weapon. You have to be on top of someone to use it, and that point your kicking is way faster, effective, and accurate.

It is 100% carbine until I unlock the CAR. Conflicts in this game are medium ranged most of the time, and bullet damage drop off at range means even the carbine has trouble putting enemies down beyond that. And if you're up close, you kick.

I got my PC copy working again. For whatever reason, the user account has something keeping Titanfall from working, so I had to make a new admin account on my computer. Jumped into a quickmatch of Frontier Defense with no plan, and no team. We got stomped hard.

Had to use the shotgun for gen requirements. What a subpar weapon. You have to be on top of someone to use it, and that point your kicking is way faster, effective, and accurate.

It is 100% carbine until I unlock the CAR. Conflicts in this game are medium ranged most of the time, and bullet damage drop off at range means even the carbine has trouble putting enemies down beyond that. And if you're up close, you kick.

This is crazy talk. Yeah, it's not great at long ranges, but it wrecks everything out to about 20ft. It's unquestionably the best weapon in hardpoint.

This is crazy talk. Yeah, it's not great at long ranges, but it wrecks everything out to about 20ft. It's unquestionably the best weapon in hardpoint.

Yeah, IDK about the shotgun sucking, unless it got nerfed or something. But I played hardpoint a lot too, so maybe it isn't as effective in other gametypes?

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The SMG I remember being surprisingly good. Bridges the gap between the shotgun and the CAR nicely

Everything for ranges over the CAR is Titan territory

VRXwDW7.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Basically every weapon in the game can wreck face, maybe with the exception of the single-shot sniper rifle depending on the player and the map. It's possible the CAR may be the best overall, but rocking with virtually any weapon was a matter of suiting playstyle to the gear.

Definitely killed shitloads of stuff with the shotgun in pretty much any game mode, no problem. Loved the hell out of that thing; it's so rare that devs have shotguns be worth anything past ten feet, which is stupid and sucky.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Coming back to this game after Destiny I spent a lot of time being amazed at the range of the shotgun.

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Mmm getting back into the swing of wrecking face with the Smart Pistol and powering myself with the tears of buttmad players

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I remember buying this at launch , prestiging and then never touching it again. Now that the dlc is free I will give it another shot. I think I used the semi auto rifle exclusively

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I've been playing a bunch since the DLC went free. Still pretty fun! I wish there were a way to play just the DLC maps and I wish more people played Hardpoint - right now everyone on PC is playing Attrition so that's all I'm playing. The CAR SMG is definitely my favorite gun. I've never touched either sniper rifle or the smart pistol, and I'm not a big fan of the semi auto marksman rifle or the burst fire rifle, but the rest of the guns seem pretty good to me. The shotgun's not too bad - it has a bit of range and you don't exactly have to aim.

Been playing enough now to run into my favorite thing about this game: being force-fed losing matches. At least they're kind enough to flag the ones that it decides to hopelessly screw you over by putting you in late in the game so they don't count against you, but yeah. So lame. :|

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    So a heads up in case anyone's interested, Origin's having a MEGA sale where a lot of games are... kinda reduced in price.

Basically it's no Steam sale, but you can get Titanfall for £10 instead of £15, which I know is like a psychological limit for most people (myself included). Unless I'm missing something obvious, I'm seeing no indication anywhere of how long this sale is going to last. Dragon Age: Inquisition is also 50% off if anyone's interested, although to be honest that just kind of highlights to me how crazy high the price was in the first place.

Personally I've still got the GameTime demo and haven't actually tried it yet, so I finally give it a try and see now that the community is on a single map pool.

• LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    So started playing this again and holy shit the devs have still not removed the retard pistol.... God bless a gun that takes the skill out of skill....

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Mmm getting back into the swing of wrecking face with the Smart Pistol and powering myself with the tears of buttmad players
    So started playing this again and holy shit the devs have still not removed the retard pistol.... God bless a gun that takes the skill out of skill....

mmm yes

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Holy shit people still have not moved beyond complaining about the smart pistol.

It's a gun that allows lower-skilled people to contribute and only excels for stuff like farming the mooks. It will lose in a straight-up fight to any other weapon if the person you're fighting knows what they're doing, and if they kill you by catching you unawares they could have done the same thing just as easily with the R-101, etc.

So is anybody else surprised they haven't announced a Titanfall 2 yet? Given that the first game, for all its good points, pretty obviously fell into the "release window glorified tech demo" category and that player population dropped off rapidly I thought they would have officially given word a sequel was coming by now.

The mk5 wins any fight where the person you are fighting misses his first 3 shots. Might as well just get an aimbot when you are at it.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The mk5 wins any fight where the person you are fighting misses his first 3 shots. Might as well just get an aimbot when you are at it.

You can kill anybody in the time it takes for the mk5 to lock on for a killshot, assuming you can aim at all and are inside effective range (IE you're not using the shotgun). In a head to head fight all the smart pistol user can do is hop around like a kangaroo on crack and hope to evade your fire long enough to get three locks. Most cases they'd stand just as good a chance pulling out their sidearm. The smart pistol is for minion farming and attacks on unaware targets. If the target knows you they're and starts shooting back you're already at a big disadvantage.

I speak from experience because I used to like to build high-mobility smart pistol loadouts in Attrition and sprint around the map just mowing down minion mobs to grab quick Titan drops, but I knew any time another Pilot came at me my odds were 50/50 at best. Calculated risk.

Gaslight on
    So in this game you are flat out no better than your aim while jumping, and the mk5 100% kills the part of that. All you have to do is focus on dodgeing for a few sec and instakill.

And the amped verson? Is a big bad joke.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I know I mostly used the Smart Pistol because I'm terrible at discerning who's a friendly and who's a enemy in these kind of games. Everyone looks the same to me.

If it starts locking on, it's a enemy.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I know I mostly used the Smart Pistol because I'm terrible at discerning who's a friendly and who's a enemy in these kind of games. Everyone looks the same to me.

If it starts locking on, it's a enemy.

Best one for that is: Is it moveing? Shoot it. Is it standing still? shoot it. Is it alive? Shoot it. If you get hit marks keep shooting.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2015
    Played Titanfall for 200+ hours, and topped the charts regularly with every weapon except the heavy sniper rifle and the semi-auto pistol (and probably could have done it with that pistol too, I just didn't like it). Titanfall has one of the most well-balanced selection of weapons I've ever seen in a multiplayer game, because rocking face with almost anything was very possible.

If people don't like the Smart Pistol, they need to 100% get over it because it simply enables a different style of gameplay, not acts as an aimbot. It's for farming NPCs and sneaking up on pilots, then getting the hell away from anybody you don't get the drop on. Never had trouble with the Smart Pistol, fighting with it or fighting against it. Every weapon shreds Smart Pistol users in head-on fights. Even somebody with a shotgun can run up close enough to a Smart Pistol user and kill them before the gun gets three locks.

It's a very well-balanced weapon, all things considered. Just because there people that manage to get offended over a weapon that lets everybody enjoy the game won't change that fact.
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So is anybody else surprised they haven't announced a Titanfall 2 yet? Given that the first game, for all its good points, pretty obviously fell into the "release window glorified tech demo" category and that player population dropped off rapidly I thought they would have officially given word a sequel was coming by now.
    I'm thinking they're caught up in ways of trying to finagle out of EA screwing them over again with idiotic shit like forcing the game onto Origin-only and Xbone-only. EA really cut the legs out from under a really fun game with those shitty restrictions.

There's also the fact that I don't think they'll go with the rather outdated Source engine this time around, especially since it's past time to let go of the last-gen consoles. Switching engines would take no small amount of effort, and there's also the likelihood that there could be an actual singleplayer mode this time around.

As long as Respawn can keep EA from fucking over Titanfall 2, I won't mind some extra wait.

Ninja Snarl P on
    "get over it". yeah go get over aimbots too.

Load up stim and run and gun and mk5 if you die once you have failed. It's so stupidly easy to abuse there's really no point in playing pvp unless you hate yourself. Good thing the hord is actually not that bad.

And no I don't support instakill lock on guns in any games, it's stupid and removes a vital element from fps games.

Really hope they don't add any type of mk5 guns in Titanfall 2, 'cause the game is really fun without it.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png