As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Multiplayer trailer was also released:

https://youtu.be/2ISYN1AshZY

Looks fun!

I am so prepared for Titanfall.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It was kind of funny seeing something like Tracer's recall followed immediately by something like Zarya's graviton surge so soon after Overwatch's release. That said, this multiplayer trailer looks like everything I could want out of a Titanfall sequel.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey, $150 is a lot of money, you can't be wasteful with these things.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    2+ years ago: "Titanfall has no single player waste of money boooooo"

Now: Overwatch is the biggest FPS going, by a long shot.

I don't get gamers.

When we put our minds to it, we can be really dumb.
    subedii wrote: »
    EDIT: One big caveat though: I'm presuming they learned from the débâcle of last time and are going to decide NOT to go the Map Pack route (considering that in the end they made all map packs free for all players in TF1). I'm guessing they're going to stick to that for TF2, otherwise could scare away quite a few people before the game's even out.

It's a dilemma worth thinking about. As it "limps" through, Halo 5 is probably the most successful console-exclusive multiplayer FPS out there (though what's it competing with? Killzone?). You can argue for and against them very well, but using requisition packs as a well to justify absorbing the price of map pack development has kept the online playerbase from fragmenting--which is frankly an awesome idea.

But how do you go about doing it? Optional purchases of some kind? Some kind of possibly nightmarish exclusivity? I'm actually one of those people who generally doesn't mind a multiplayer launching with limited maps and game modes, both Overwatch went too far even for me, though the excellent character roster overall helped--I'm counting on Blizzard to make good on their promises down the line.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    In the first game your appearance was tied to your primary weapon, but according to the website it'll be based on your tactical ability instead in 2. And apparently picking the grappling hook makes you a robot.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Although the trailer opens with a player grappling and getting in a titan and you can clearly see that it's a woman. The first game let you choose if you wanted to play a man or a woman. Maybe 2 extends it to man, woman or robot.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Holy crap! The trailers for this looked amazing!! I am definitely interested in getting TF2. I was interested by the original but I didn't get it because I heard the PC community for it was dead.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So, this image is in the background of the official site and suggests at least one type of titan can wall run.

titanfall-2-wall-running-titan.jpg

The full picture shows the Titan is just pressing its hand against the wall, its feet are on the ground

Sorry to bring this bad news

v40oyf4cfr7t.jpg

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Welp, I'm out.

Like, I ain't good, but at least every so often I got to stomp around in a giant robot. Now it's entirely possible that I'm never gonna get the giant robot? Screw it.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    It does sound a bit like the Call of Duty air-strike kill streak "rich get richer" non-sense, but maybe there are other ways to unlock them, like killing the AI bots or collecting certain thingys on the map or whatever.

• Options
    Darlan wrote: »
    It does sound a bit like the Call of Duty air-strike kill streak "rich get richer" non-sense, but maybe there are other ways to unlock them, like killing the AI bots or collecting certain thingys on the map or whatever.

I also hear rumors of "modes with no AI", so that might be out too. Like, smart pistol + silencer + waves of boticide was fun, and about as good as I got, and it was also contributive.

Oh well, I guess?

• Options
    I'm guessing all that means is that they just removed the timer and now only actions will count towards Titans.

Probably to discourage overly defensive play.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Interesting.

I assume this means they're just removing the actual clock component and keeping the rundown on the timer based on things like AI kills/assists/Titan damage. I hope, anyway.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    They talked about a new mode on EA's twitch stream, sounds like it might replace Attrition: Bounty Hunt

There's two player teams and a third team entirely composed of AI

Apparently "boss titans" spawn and are very aggressive and you have to deal with them

Which sounds cool! If I can still top the scoreboard by never shooting at a human player, I'm down

But if they're moving away from the whole "fill the map with tons of AI for players to kill and to make fights seem more awesome" aspect? I'll be very sad

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

I also hear rumors of "modes with no AI", so that might be out too. Like, smart pistol + silencer + waves of boticide was fun, and about as good as I got, and it was also contributive.

Oh well, I guess?

IIRC AI kills sped up your timer in TF, which means you're probably just filling a meter with points instead of taking seconds from a clock.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So TF2 campaign

Who wants to bet your Titan AI pulls an Iron Giant and makes me cry like a wee babe

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So TF2 campaign

Who wants to bet your Titan AI pulls an Iron Giant and makes me cry like a wee babe
    My money is on the pilot dying during the climax and you playing as the Titan itself for the rest of it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Titanfall 2 seriously needs a new acronym.

Also, is the smart pistol still there? No smart pistol, no sale.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    People went through the same thing with Modern Warfare 2 (the previous MW2 being MechWarrior 2), but got used to it.

• Options

Oh well, I guess?

IIRC AI kills sped up your timer in TF, which means you're probably just filling a meter with points instead of taking seconds from a clock.

Yeah, but a clock means even if I blow goats--which at COD types, I really do--I'll eventually get my robot buddy from the sky. King Badass over there, sure, he's getting one twice as fast, but I still get one.

Points means there's no "okay fine here..." eventually.

• Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Honestly, it might mean the less skilled players will wise up and actually go after AI instead of slamming their faces against other players' bullets and not actually contributing. I remember winning matches for a fairly crappy team by exclusively targeting AI enemies.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    So TF2 campaign

My money is on the pilot dying during the climax and you playing as the Titan itself for the rest of it.

That's actually what I hope happens

Like something will happen that causes the pilot to die in the last mission, but the player won't know the pilot has actually died until after the mission is completed, and then it's revealed when the cockpit opens

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

Oh well, I guess?

Yeah, but a clock means even if I blow goats--which at COD types, I really do--I'll eventually get my robot buddy from the sky. King Badass over there, sure, he's getting one twice as fast, but I still get one.

Points means there's no "okay fine here..." eventually.

Yeah, the decision to me is a little strange. In TF1 being super awesome and getting your titan nice and quick so you can proceed to stomp all over everyone sooner seems like enough of a bonus for good play to me.

I guess we'll wait for more details on quite how they're going to handle it. Perhaps titans will be pickups?!

Though if the titan melee implementation is decent then this'll be a day 1 for me regardless of what else is in the game.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    If they'd added bots I'd still be playing titanfall...so hopefully that's something, hopefully the titan acquisition is something you can tweak in custom games as well...because making titanfall more like cod/battlefield isn't going to work, we already have those games. Look to overwatch, run with your strength's and differences don't obscure them!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    So TF2 campaign

The pilot sacrifices themselves to save the Titan?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So a game full of badass mechs and they decide to have a stupid fucking bust of a stupid helmet be the collector edition content? Lame.

• Options
    So a game full of badass mechs and they decide to have a stupid fucking bust of a stupid helmet be the collector edition content? Lame.
    Well it's an actual wearable helmet, not a bust, so that's kinda cool, but I would agree that that fact is brought down by the fact that helmet is indeed a pretty stupid helmet.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Also can I say I'm so glad Titans have anti-pilot weaponry now.

In certain situations keeping a good pilot off you could be really annoying. Expecially if you were using one of the slower firing guns.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I thought I was out with Overwatch filling that MP void, but seeing that trailer + campaign. Yup, this might be my 2016 Xmas shooter.

Going PS4 this time though. I still regret buying TF1 on PC.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hnnngh so hype

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Is this still going to be Origin exclusive? I suppose with EA behind it we can expect that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    darleysam wrote: »

I honestly think this saved it from dying completely on xbox one, making all the dlc free, at least with like attrition and the all titans mode

Prohass on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/x40efLQbJ38

Apparently there will be more custom art and selectable camo for Titans. They also say there's a progression system with cosmetic unlocks but he doesn't go into detail.

• Options
  • Options
    Non-hitscan energy weapons? Gimme.

• Options
    Slower, "why did they keep the AI this sucks", less parkour, titans harder to kill on foot, and no guarantee you'll get a titan.

I'm not sold. What's next, no more smart pistol?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I love the AI, and so do all my friends who aren't super hardcore gamers. I don't understand the issue with that. I feel like they really flesh out the world and make it feel more chaotic and like a battle

As for the rest of the criticisms it's all dependent on balancing, if it's all balanced well it'll just be different not worse

Prohass on
  • Options
    He says it's slower, but it still looks pretty speedy. Also, the grappling hook looks even cooler now. I didn't expect to be able to swing like Spider-Man.