As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I'm glad I resisted the season pass. I just never play it. They're already working on the sequel, which part of me goes "Well Farce I don't know what you expected" and the other half goes "can we please get some new content?"

Like co-op. Just give us a horde mode. I DGAF if the AI isn't stellar. It'll be fun. PVP can be a chore after a while.

Of course all the call of duty games aside from 1 never got any decent post-release content updates other than MP maps.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'd rather they make a sequel than more DLC. I'm excited to see what they can do now that the proof of concept is out there.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I got the season pass, but I'm also glad I held off on it until I really wanted it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I have gotten my money's worth out of it, but Xbox One population has always been healthier. I expect it to take a big hit after Destiny and then even more so once more fall games release.
    I liked the DLC maps more than the base ones usually, especially Swampland and War Games. I dislike the new modes; but as a team it's much easier to handle. I still dislike Pilot Hunter... the Skirmish mode was just a worse Pilot Hunter....

• Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    anybody else play with you on your box?
    My wife and kids both have accounts, but I'm the only one that plays Titanfall.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I played with a group yesterday and I we tried to get into Pilot Skirmish with a full eight person team, but it kept DCing us from the server before it found us a game.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    I'm glad I resisted the season pass. I just never play it. They're already working on the sequel, which part of me goes "Well Farce I don't know what you expected" and the other half goes "can we please get some new content?"

Like co-op. Just give us a horde mode. I DGAF if the AI isn't stellar. It'll be fun. PVP can be a chore after a while.

Of course all the call of duty games aside from 1 never got any decent post-release content updates other than MP maps.

They've added two game modes (albeit one for people with bad tastes), quite a few new burn cards, titan customization to insignias and new voice acting, the black market, substantially improved already good weapon balance*, added 6 maps, and plan to add 3 more maps and rumor has it, possibly new weapon(s). As well as minor quality of life improvements like the auto-fill burn cards button, or the ability to track specific achievements.

As first games from a new development house go, I consider Titanfall an astounding achievement. Even without that caveat, I still say it is the best fast paced shooter since COD4, which was the best since UT99 (I wasn't a Quake guy, so replace Quake 3 if you liked it better).

* Most pressing issue right now is cluster missiles need a nerf vs. Titans. Either cut it by a 1/3 outright, or do a declining marginal utility for each additional hit, but preferably the former, so it's still the best weapon vs. titans at full duration, but is outperformed by the others if someone moves out fast enough.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Well, since the band's pretty much... well, disbanded, and Destiny's just around the corner (I see some of you UK people playing, and I am shaking my fist so hard at you), here's one last compilation from the last couple of days. I only have a couple more achievements to get from this game, mostly praying to the RNG to give me the right gametype on the right DLC maps.

http://youtu.be/vIe72WucCN4

0:00 - running in pairs is usually a good idea, but it can't always save you.
    0:13 - The game really didn't want me ejecting here. Apparently it came up as a Termination for the other guy, but I have video proof that that call was BS.
    0:20 - From the worst ejection to the best.
    0:42 - Don't even stop.
    0:59 - As Goosing goes, that one felt cheap.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    Meh, we'll see how Destiny goes, but if the Beta was any indication, I'll probably be still be playing TItanfall to get my multiplayer fix.

I just need like 12 more brain surgeon kills to get to Gen 7, but, I swear to God, everybody's packing smoke these days.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    Titanfall is definitely going to be my go-to competitive multiplayer shooter until Master Chief Collection comes out.

I did finally hit generation 10. Attrition is easily the best way to get MVP. Smart pistol + run & gun + minion detector + stryder + triple threat or arc cannon + spare titan burn card gets a ton of minion kills. It doesn't matter how well your teammates do when you've got 100 minion kills. Now I just need to re-unlock everything one last time.

• Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    Anyone gonna be playing the new maps that dropped today? Or is Destiny's slow paced non giant robotic action taken hold of everyone? I know I'm looking forward to wall running tonight! Come on, do it for the cheevos!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'll probably be Titanfalling tomorrow night and this weekend. I need to prevent Destiny burnout.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    You and me Johnny robo fist bump! Friendship is magic!

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    *sees Titanfall thread activity and gets excited*
    *realizes it's non-PC players and goes back to GTA IV*

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Damn you, PC master race! Console plebeians FTW

• Options
    I own the season pass, but the store still shows it as $9.99. I guess I'll stick to Destiny for now.

I'm working on the "earn weekly maximum Crucible marks" achievement anyway. If only I could earn those marks in Titanfall!

• Options
    I forgot that was dropping today. I just need to pull myself away from Wasteland 2 for an hour or two...

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I got the patch downloaded, but since the season pass was messed up all day I haven't gotten a chance to download the new maps. Hopefully I'll grab them tomorrow and play later in the night.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    On Xbox Juan, I can still find an Attrition game (my go to) or variety pack (when I feel like I should hate myself more) for the 2nd DLC no problem, and with slightly longer waits for the default maps.

So, I don't think Destiny has been totally devastating? I heard on Origin MM has been pretty bad for a while (I'm glad I basically treated this as a console exclusive), so I can't imagine it's doing well now?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    PC Titanfall has made me rethink my PC only stance this next gen. I guess if it isn't DOTA or TF2, these types of MP games don't last.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Being forced to use Origin probably doesn't help things, either.

I will say I respect Titanfall vastly more after going through and playing a bunch of CoD to figure out what the big deal about that series was.

Spawn, take a step, die, spawn, take a step, die, spawn, enemy spawns behind you, die, ad infinitum.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah...even with Destiny's higher TTK, you end up in that cycle. At least you mix it up with Titanfall a bit more :smiley:

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Being forced to use Origin probably doesn't help things, either.

I will say I respect Titanfall vastly more after going through and playing a bunch of CoD to figure out what the big deal about that series was.

Spawn, take a step, die, spawn, take a step, die, spawn, enemy spawns behind you, die, ad infinitum.

Live.

Die.

Repeat?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    EA really kicked themselves in the ass with the whole Origin thing. Nobody wants to use their shit and they just need to swallow their idiotic pride and go back to releasing stuff on Steam; the userbase and interfaces there are infinitely better, and their games would do better as a result.

I may still have to put up with the Uplay garbage showing up when I play Ubisoft stuff on Steam, but at least the games are Steam games and the Uplay stuff is completely ignorable.

• Options
    It seems like the DLC and achievements got sorted out on the Xbox One.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    EA really kicked themselves in the ass with the whole Origin thing. Nobody wants to use their shit and they just need to swallow their idiotic pride and go back to releasing stuff on Steam; the userbase and interfaces there are infinitely better, and their games would do better as a result.

I may still have to put up with the Uplay garbage showing up when I play Ubisoft stuff on Steam, but at least the games are Steam games and the Uplay stuff is completely ignorable.

I can't help but think about how long Titanfall would have been on the top of the Steam best sellers list if it was there. EA is just leaving money on the table by not putting it on Steam.

They could STILL release it on Steam and I bet it would hit Number 1.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The daily userbase for Steam fluctuates between something like 4-7 million people. Toss it up on Steam and it would immediately be seen by several million people in one day, and probably completely outstrip what was sold on PC on Origin by an order of magnitude in a matter of days. Steam itself has over 65 million unique users, which is way above what the next-gen consoles have and is basically permanent because you have your Steam account as long as you have access to it.

Shit, EA could probably offer something like a ten dollar "fee" (i.e., big coupon) to current owners of Titanfall to transfer over to Steam and I'd probably happily pay that, since it would mean a real userbase again. Wouldn't be the first game I've paid the Origin "tax" on so I could play a game without being shackled to their shitty service to play it.

Regardless, EA sure did a great job of making sure Respawn wasn't going to get a runaway hit. Game is arbitrarily locked into the Microsoft consoles and idiotically locked onto Origin, so no chance of it being a blockbuster success. Really dodged a bullet there.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Is there any word if the sequel will have the same EA "oversight"?

• Options
    I'm having a ton of fun with it on Xbox One, so no complaints here!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

Yeah, it's awesome on at least one platform, I know that much. Even if it were out on Steam, I'd gladly choose the Juan over it--at least until I actually get my new PC build.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I'm not even getting a full group on DLC attrition maps anymore.

Most of my games get called on time.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not even getting a full group on DLC attrition maps anymore.

Most of my games get called on time.

PC I think? I've been able to get a couple of the new maps on the regular playlist but it's been DAYS since I've been able to play anything that isn't attrition.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

The game is awesome make no doubt, it's just such a ridiculous policy on EA's side. How they hope to compete with Activision and Call of Duty (when that's released on Steam) is beyond me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I think part of the issue with DLC population is simply the price. The maps are good, better than any of the DLC map packs COD usually releases, but that's a lot of money for rather little content.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Personally I'm waiting for all the maps to be put out as a great big (and hopefully cheap!) map-pack. I would surmise that there's a fair few people doing the same. Hopefully there'll be a population surge and the ability to play on the new maps in particular will increase significantly.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Ok, it's driving me crazy:

is there any way to increase the chat and pilot name text size on the PC? I'm playing it on my TV in my living room and it's damn near unreadable. Googling's turned up no solution. If anyone knew how I'd be eternally in their debt...

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    New update with some cool stuff.
    Brand new cooperative game mode - Frontier Defense
    Join forces with up to three other players in this cooperative game mode to defend a vital objective from increasingly intense waves of AI combatants.

- You and your team will face down familiar foes as well as the IMC's newest combat units: hordes of Grunts and Spectres, stealthy Sniper Spectres and Cloak Drones, explosive Suicide Spectres and Nuclear Titans, ranged Mortar Titans, and even melee-resistant Arc Titans!

- Supplement your firepower by earning and deploying stationary turrets around the battlefield.

- Leverage your full arsenal against the IMC without skipping a beat by using the new Loadout Crates near the objective to switch loadouts at will, while refilling ammo and ordnance.

- Pilots who fall in battle are flown back into the fray in a dropship that circles above the action before touchdown. Experienced Pilots always maximize their impact on the struggle below by firing from the side window of the dropship on approach.

- Seasoned players can challenge themselves to beat their best score. Try to earn 3 Map Stars on each map!

- Play in every corner of the Frontier, including the maps introduced in IMC Rising and every previous Titanfall expansion!

Horde mode!
    Deadly Ground
    The floor is covered in deadly electrified fog! Play a variety of maps in Hardpoint, Capture the Flag and Marked For Death while staying off the ground. Deadly Ground is scheduled to launch as the new featured game mode on November 5th.

That sounds like a fantastic game mode.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That's pretty awesome. Is it part of the paid DLC's or free to anyone?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn it, they're adding a horde mode right after I uninstalled. Alright, time to start that huge download all over again.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Deadly Ground
    The floor is covered in deadly electrified fog! Play a variety of maps in Hardpoint, Capture the Flag and Marked For Death while staying off the ground. Deadly Ground is scheduled to launch as the new featured game mode on November 5th.

That sounds like a fantastic game mode.

Hahaha, they made a "FLOOR IS LAVA" game mode. That really is a great idea.

The next great idea should be doing everything in their power to get the hell away from EA so the company can't fuck them over with shitty exclusive deals for the next game.